HP Pavilion tx1205us 12.1" Convertible Notebook PC $599

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Link

While supplies last, OfficeMax has the HP Pavilion tx1205us 12.1" AMD Turion Convertible Notebook PC for a low $599.99 with free shipping. Tax in most. Online only. (thanks juan c.p.)

3.95lbs, Turion 64 X2 TL-56 @ 1.8GHz, 1280 x 800, 1GB, 160GB, LightScribe DL DVD±RW, b/g wireless, webcam, fingerprint reader, Vista Home Premium

**NOTE: Not a touch touch screen

though it does appear to be the smallest tablet pc with a dedicated graphics card.

I went with the gateway convertible m285-E which is similar but has a x1400pro and is 14"

My only complaint about these is that the max resolution is like 768x1280 . It seems fine at first but try doing artwork on a piece of paper that small and youll see what I mean. otherwise for school notes this thing is pretty cool. It feels pretty solid. They have them at bestbuy if you wanna test one.

Can someone explain why it's called a 'convertible notebook' and not a Tablet PC? is it not a tablet?:confused:

I mean, it has a touch screen and stylus.

Also, what kind of games can be played on this sort of integrated graphics solution? Would BF2 work on this? CSS?

[H]unter;1031823483 said:
Can someone explain why it's called a 'convertible notebook' and not a Tablet PC? is it not a tablet?:confused:

I mean, it has a touch screen and stylus.

Also, what kind of games can be played on this sort of integrated graphics solution? Would BF2 work on this? CSS?

The difference is no its not a touchscreen. Its also not Wacoms based. Its the product inbetween a tablet and a notebook. You might be able to play css on this but it would play like crap. Last gen games would be ok.

Basically you can rotate the LCD and make it "look"like a tablet

Which might be handy for viewing movies, or something similar... it's not a touchscreen...

Basically you can rotate the LCD and make it "look"like a tablet

Which might be handy for viewing movies, or something similar... it's not a touchscreen...

It has a pen you use for writing on the screen

only drawbacks i see is no bluetooth, and no pcmcia slot...

the former being remedyable.... the latter being a pretty darn big drawback... no EVDO on this thing :( :( :(

that is so sad because i've been looking for a machine JUST like this one, AND its the right price

only drawbacks i see is no bluetooth, and no pcmcia slot...

the former being remedyable.... the latter being a pretty darn big drawback... no EVDO on this thing :( :( :(

that is so sad because i've been looking for a machine JUST like this one, AND its the right price

Things have an expresscard slot on them if I remember right which you could use for evdo. Usb could be used as well. Just have to get a new card(and an expensive one if you are talking about express card).

I'd prob get this if it had the tablet option.

On Amazon, some are calling this a tablet and a touch screen and some are not. I'm so confused. I would totally buy this for $600 if its a real tablet that I can take notes and write on (which alot of the reviews imply) but I can't find any definitive answer. On Amazon, they list it as not a touch screen and a tablet in the same paragraph :(

Have you guys ever bought or even checked out a tablet pc??? Using a pen is NOT touchscreen. Touchscreen is to use your fingers. This uses a pen. Iv NEVER seen a tablet/convertible PC that doesnt even have pen functionality.

Just to clarify. With this you can use a digitizer aka a pen...which is the most important functionality you will want. Touchscreen is not available on this particular one. It might be as an option which explains why some reviews state touchscreen. However touchscreen is rather inaccurate so in most cases it is rather useless. So yes you can use the digitizer to draw stuff on it. I use a similar Lenovo to take notes in class. Works quite well.

The difference is no its not a touchscreen.

Shens.

A "convertible" is just one style of tablet. It means you flip the screen back and forth between tablet mode and conventional laptop operation.

When they advertise it as a "convertible laptop" instead of as a tablet, it usually means it's a clunker and could stand to lose a couple pounds. Not always, sometimes it's just crappy branding.

Some tablets are coming with touch capability lately, usually branded as "multitouch" or some such (although I don't think they take multiple simultaneous touch inputs?? crappy branding again).

Shens.

A "convertible" is just one style of tablet. It means you flip the screen back and forth between tablet mode and conventional laptop operation.

When they advertise it as a "convertible laptop" instead of as a tablet, it usually means it's a clunker and could stand to lose a couple pounds. Not always, sometimes it's just crappy branding.

Some tablets are coming with touch capability lately, usually branded as "multitouch" or some such (although I don't think they take multiple simultaneous touch inputs?? crappy branding again).

My bad I assumed touchpads dictated whether its a tablet or not. I pulled up the wiki and according to that a convertible is actually a variety of Tablet. Specifically it's more comparable to a standard laptop giving more power, in this case dedicated graphics, and more durability. The other common types being Hybrids and slates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_PC

Have you guys ever bought or even checked out a tablet pc??? Using a pen is NOT touchscreen. Touchscreen is to use your fingers. This uses a pen. Iv NEVER seen a tablet/convertible PC that doesnt even have pen functionality.

Just to clarify. With this you can use a digitizer aka a pen...which is the most important functionality you will want. Touchscreen is not available on this particular one. It might be as an option which explains why some reviews state touchscreen. However touchscreen is rather inaccurate so in most cases it is rather useless. So yes you can use the digitizer to draw stuff on it. I use a similar Lenovo to take notes in class. Works quite well.

No it does not have the digitizer in it. HP sells this model notebook with one but you pay extra for it. It is not a touch screen. It is a notebook where the screen can rotate. That is it.

From what little I can find, the touch input was available as an option. This is fairly common where it's available at all. I did see a few people saying the digitizer was passive, but nothing specific, and nothing in the limited info HP still has posted that I saw. There's not much info out there on it, not even on HP's website, because the thing is apparently discontinued. :confused:

MFG spec page here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...2676&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Says the weight is ~4lbs, meaning probably about 5 with the battery in. Not great, but okay. If it really does have a passive / non-Wacom digitizer, that's pretty crap. Cheap though, if your standards are low (or your budget).

I bought this from HP directly. There was a $250 coupon which i used and got it for $800 Shipped. I am holding this in my hand right now, let me tell you it is a gorgeous laptop i ever owned, finishing is just awesome. Quality of the product is as good as Apple Mac Book Pro (which i own too). It is very very light i am starting to hate my Dell E1405, i can easily hold it on my left hand with the battery pack installed and hardly feel it.

My boss bought a $1650 Toshiba M series Tablet, we both put togather side by side and trust me Toshiba is like a junk as compare to HP. She is MAD at me :D

Specs:

AMD X2 1.9ghz
2GB RAM
160GB HDD
DVD Writer
12.1" LCD Touch Screen with Tablet option (Full upgrade)
Webcam
Geforce 6 Series
etc

Back