HP Pavilion DV6305US, $520 AR, 15.4" WXGA, 80GB, 512MB, GeForce 6150, Turion X2 TL-50

Xystance

n00b
Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?id=514490

$720 - $150 - $50

This is a hot deal, and even hotter for those of us that captured the Compaq Presario V6305NR deal at Best Buy a few weeks ago for $600 with no rebates (that'd be me, in for three!) for one big reason: That one came with 1GB of memory (2 x 512MB), meaning if we wanted an upgrade (me) we swapped out the two 512MB chips for two 1GB chips.... meaning we have 512MB chips laying around...

So I'm going to capture a couple of these and upgrade them to 1GB (2 x 512MB) thanks to left over memory!

Some comments about the hardware:

Why get a cheap AMD Turion X2 instead of a cheap Intel Core Duo (or even a Core 2 Duo) system? Two reasons:
1) The Turion chips support 64bit instructions, meaning you can run 64bit Vista on them. (and believe you me, it makes a difference, I'm running 64bit business on the V6305NR's from three weeks ago!). The Core Duo chips are 32bit, the Core 2 Duo chips are 64bit.
2) The Turion chips support virtualization, meaning extremely low overhead when using Virtual PC or VMWare. The Core Duo chips do not. Mobile Core 2 Duo chips do not (desktop Core 2 Duo chips do).

For everyone nervous about the upgrade to Vista, aka: Some programs won't work!, Microsoft Virtual PC is free, just install a 98/2000/XP OS in there, give it 256MB of memory, and there's your compatibility environment! Running Virtual PC on the Core Duo or mobile Core 2 Duo chips means it has to do all the emulation in software (slower).

Why'd I go into such detail on this? Cause they're just awesome laptops, i'm happily using one, I (profitably) sold two, and I'm probably going to sell a couple from this batch of deals. :)

its the same price at frys, but 150 INSTANT rebate!! and a 50 dollar mail in rebate! i think its a better deal at frys

So does anyone have this laptop? So that they can review it? Leave a comment about it? Im very interested.

Hey lillimon04, I have the Compaq version of the laptop and it's worked out great. I'd upgrade it to at least 1GB if you're going to keep Vista Basic on it, (or upgrade) but it's definitely solid.

It does take fingerprints easily though, they include a cloth to wipe them off but it's still a little disconcerting every so often. :) It has these nice slick black borders, with fingerprints on them!

nice thank u very much, i was thinkin if i get this i would put a gig of ram and maybe a 160gb hdd. anxd i was think of formatting and putting xp pro on it. can i do that? are all the drivers hard to find?

Going to office depot tomorrow and picking this sucker up. I've been waiting for a deal like this on a HP laptop.

Does it come with HP Windows or MS Windows?

edit: I know it probably comes full of bloatware. I can deal with that. I'm wondering if the OS media that ship with it do a clean install or if they just "restore" the hard drive to its factory state.

i have a 2125nr, a lighter version of this and the OS media that ships is just windows no crapware. there is a separate disc for crapware.

just as the guy up there lists all the right reasons, these lappies rock and for such cheap prices. and um,, if you are adventurous enough like me. i upgraded from 50 to 60 (2Ghz). make sure your cooling will disappate! the 2Ghz is hot and power hungry.

my sys. is around 2 hrs w/wifi. it's the same without :D.

but as most laptop users will tell you, most people use laptop plugged in. it's rare to be truly on battery until electric runs out.

Back