HP Pavilion 27xi Gloss screen with heavy AG

raven77

n00b
I was interested in this monitor for the gloss screen and crystal clear images they can produce. Having read a review on CNET, the reviewer stated the 27xi has a heavy AG coating, why the hell have a gloss screen at all if you're gonna AG coat it? Anyone with this monitor can confirm this? cheers.

The merits of antiglare (AG) screen coating are much debated these days. Some viewers prefer the coating not be applied at all, while others favor only a limited amount. And others are completely indifferent. AG coating doesn't adversely affect a monitor's quality, and its benefits or lack thereof are strictly a question of preference.

That said, there is a heavy AG coating on the HP 27xi's screen, reducing potential reflections while keeping very little of the contrast "pop" that glossy screens enjoy. A fully glossy display can increase the perceived contrast of a monitor screen -- which some people prefer -- but can also make it difficult to see what's on the screen in direct sunlight.

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/hp-pavilion-27xi/4505-3174_7-35603096-2.html

I am interested to buy either the HP 27xi or the HP Envy 27, they have the same panel. They have both (very) glossy screen as seen in NCX's link, but when some reviewers talk about "anti-glare" on this screen they mean it's not completely mirror-like as seen in the Dell S2740L (which also shares the same panel), but it's obviously still very glossy.

I still haven't found if there is actual glass on the Envy, they say "edge to edge glass" but in the pics the panel looks 100% similar to the 27XI which is obviously not glass.

I have a 23-inch version, the 23xi, and that does indeed have a pretty heavy AG coating. I think the 21 and 25 inchers are also matte, just the 27" is glossy. Weird for HP to change it up within the same model/series.

And how are you certain of this, I mean they reviewed the monitor, have you?

So that's your proof? it's one thing looking at a static picture of the monitor off and another seeing it in action. You are not going to see any AG coat from pics, just because it has a gloss plastic front does not mean there is no AG coat. Why would the reviewer even mention it if it was not correct. Put me right off this screen now.:(

I am interested to buy either the HP 27xi or the HP Envy 27, they have the same panel. They have both (very) glossy screen as seen in NCX's link, but when some reviewers talk about "anti-glare" on this screen they mean it's not completely mirror-like as seen in the Dell S2740L (which also shares the same panel), but it's obviously still very glossy.

I still haven't found if there is actual glass on the Envy, they say "edge to edge glass" but in the pics the panel looks 100% similar to the 27XI which is obviously not glass.

The review on CNET stated it was a heavy AG coat, why would they make that up?

Monitors with heavy AG are not reflective. Example:

Heavy AG left vs. Glossy

Cnet is wrong.

Except the HP has a plastic gloss cover in front of the panel, that is not the same as the gloss screen in your pic. HP in their retarded wisdom decided to stick AG on the panel and then whack a gloss window in front.

Except the HP has a plastic gloss cover in front of the panel, that is not the same as the gloss screen in your pic. HP in their retarded wisdom decided to stick AG on the panel and then whack a gloss window in front.
I doubt they could add another layer except if it's glass, which would be great for me but it doesn't look like glass. I think we're looking at the panel itself.

I met some of the CNET people at CES just a few years ago. I was NOT impressed.

You know that Uncle or Dad that just got into tech, maybe it was a new 70" LED HDTV, a new smart phone, maybe they even upgraded their daughters laptop with an SSD and all of a sudden, they know more than you but, they are so far off, it's not even funny? Example, calling hard drive space "memory" Yeah those types.

Well, that's what I took away from meeting a few of the CNET guys that do reviews.

Go and read or watch CNETs reviews ... some of them are so off on facts, features or both, you just come away with zero trust? ... That's CNET.

Avoid.

You need real reviews, go to AVS Forums or Amazon or anywhere else other than CNET. With Amazon, you have to filter out all the crying babies that give 1 star reviews cause their box was crunched in on the side, BUT, you will never ever beat reviews from real people using real products in real world settings. CNET is great for soccer moms and baseball dads.

Only displays with edge-to-edge glass can have two coatings and only Sony has been dumb enough to put glass over grainy AG on their PS3 display.

It's not the panel, does it display an edge to edge image? of course it does not therefore it's obviously in front of the panel and I assume is coated in AG.

Only displays with edge-to-edge glass can have two coatings and only Sony has been dumb enough to put glass over grainy AG on their PS3 display.

Is that not what the HP is, edge to edge glass with panel beneath. Until I get confirmation that the HP is a full on gloss panel then the CNET review is the truth.

You aint gonna see any AG on youtube quality vids especially with a static image on the screen, you need to experience it in the real. And again yes the edge to edge panel is glossy, the actual LCD panel may have AG on it as described by CNET.

I own this monitor and the Dell U2440L and they are close in clarity. I don't think this monitor has a filter between the glossy panel - I just don't see it. That said, this is a great monitor though the black levels are really poor compared to the Dell.

I think CNET just got this wrong. I thought they even had some videos up from CES where they showed its glossy screen and made a comment on it? Maybe that was another site, but still this is a proper glossy screen.

I want proof guys, I'm not spending over £300 to import this screen only to find it's covered in a horrible AG coat. I always use gloss screens so any AG panel will do my head in.

I own this monitor and the Dell U2440L and they are close in clarity. I don't think this monitor has a filter between the glossy panel - I just don't see it. That said, this is a great monitor though the black levels are really poor compared to the Dell.

Can you take close up pics of it on white background? when you drag windows around can you see the grain in front of them?

CNET has caused so much confusion with incorrect information:

HP 27xi does NOT have Anti-glare (AG) coating and is Glossy.

HP 23xi and 25xi both have AG Coating and are Non-Glossy.

I figured this out after going to Best Buy and Costco to see these monitors in person, and talking to HP Support.

I figured this out after going to Best Buy and Costco to see these monitors in person, and talking to HP Support.

Um the poster on this site has a HP25xi and it appears very much glossy to me, http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18507758

Back