Blorgon

Limp Gawd
Kind of surprised there hasn't been a thread on this yet. Since Acer's x34p seems to have fallen into limbo, the Omen X 35 seems to be the front runner for upcoming ultrawide monitors. G-Sync, 100hz native refresh rate (I think, anyway; can't remember where I read that). The price is nuts, but otherwise. this looks like pretty much the perfect UW monitor coming to market any time soon. Thoughts?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10992/hp-announces-omen-x-35inch-curved-display

I guess I should mention the reason I think it's the "perfect" monitor is the assumed native refresh rate of 100hz, which as far as I know would be the only monitor to support that refresh rate natively. It's also an AMVA+ panel, so that'll work for some and not for others, but mostly for gamers (from what I've read, VA panels are better on contrast and less likely to suffer from BLB). Anyway, just interested to see what others think.

It's just a little bit difficult to get excited for it. Its retailing for the same price as the original Acer X34 and that monitor came out in 2015. Plus theres the crappy 1 year warranty, weaker contrast than usual for a VA panel, and the last high refresh 35 inch VA panel made by AUO had horrible response times. Kinda surprised to see only HP using this panel and nobody else.

Reactions: igluk
like this
Weirdly, it has a non-square pixel pitch. Probably an artifact of this new 3440x1440 (2.39:1) panel having the same aspect ratio as the previous 2560x1080 (2.37:1).

As an owner of the Acer Z35, I share the concerns about the response time. If they have been improved, the price might be justified.

Can't you get an IPS panel version from Acer or Asus for about the same price with nearly the same features?

You can but that's the thing they are IPS panels and some of us would prefer VA instead. Sucks that this is literally the only gsync option in existence for QHD ultrawide VA. But if someone buys it first does some good testing on it and its the perfect monitor then it would be worth it.

It looks interesting but there is no way in hell I would pay $1300 for a monitor with a 1 year warranty. I read somewhere else that this is just the standard warranty on their consumer monitors but It's terrible. I'm fine with the $100-200 bump for G-Sync but I still don't see why this thing is $1300. If it's so great, stand behind it.

Well this monitor now had a competitor the AOC AG352UCG. Curvature is 2000R instead of 1800R and contrast is lower at 2000:1 instead of 2500:1. Those two things may be negligable though.

Well this monitor now had a competitor the AOC AG352UCG. Curvature is 2000R instead of 1800R and contrast is lower at 2000:1 instead of 2500:1. Those two things may be negligable though.

Just saw that on Reddit today. Good to see some more competition.

As consumers, we definitely need these guys to compete. My first IPS was an AOC 1080p panel which had minimal light bleed. I honestly thought all IPS panels had that type of quality only to be rudely awoken by all these "High End" panels afterwards.

This is definitely on my radar. I seem to be able to deal with the downsides of MVA more than IPS (that darn glow), but maybe that would changed with high Hz (MVA too slow?). Thought about trying IPS again wanted the x34 predator or Asus, until I realized this is coming out. I have the BENQ BL3200PT now. Sorry but I could use a bit of a crash course on displays. :( Anything I might be missing that might make this not a great display for me? GSync2 bringing something to the table? I see some would rather have ULMB than some featured this monitor has, that mean it definitely won't have that?

Some more differences. The AOC has a 3 year warranty vs HP's 1 year. Current news show the AOC is priced at 800 euros. No info on US prices yet, but based on the euro price, it may be lower than HP's $1,300.

Some more differences. The AOC has a 3 year warranty vs HP's 1 year. Current news show the AOC is priced at 800 euros. No info on US prices yet, but based on the euro price, it may be lower than HP's $1,300.

I am positive the two monitors also use the same exact panel so the AOC is more than likely going to be the better buy unless for whatever reason the overdrive settings are worst than the HP. If it's going to retail for $1,000 I will go for this instead of the Samsung CF791 (y)

Excited for reviews of this. Hopefully there will be some with the release in a couple of days!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These are supposed to be shipping Monday/Tuesday I guess. Newegg currently has back-orders open w/ a $50 off code, I put an order in.

I looked at this one before I picked up the X34.

What really concerned me on the HP was the lack of pre-launch reviews and the curve. I use mine for work and play and the tighter curves are annoying. Still shocked by no reviews.

Not really a 'review' but it's nice to see someone has one. Bit disappointed after hearing about the paint peeling off w/ a sticker, hah.

I wonder when these are suppose to be in stock again. B&H says all the way till June 2nd..

I'll wait for the HP as it looks much better IMO. I know paying $400 for a smaller bezel and better looking package is silly but what can I say I hate bulky bezels! Sleek bezels make a monitor look so much better.

I wouldn't be concerned with a one year warranty on a HP. We have HP monitors at work in abundance that are 10 years old. I don't think I've heard of any dying. Lots of dead Samsung monitors that are even newer though.

Oh, and looking at the difference in video reviews, the HP definitely has a better controls/OSD too.

I've got both ordered. Going to check them both out I guess, send back the loser. Probably still be waiting for awhile, no one seems to know when they're getting either of these monitors.

Makes sense. I think HP spent more time and effort on their version though having a more polished product. Whether that is worth $400 to anyone is up to them.

Dang that AOC is tempting! I typically like VAs, but now I'm seeing the predator as low as $1k at Newegg with promo code. Dang. Decisions decisions. 1300 was a little tough to swallow.

I have three HP Omen 32" monitors to which I paid less than $1000 total. (~$325 each)

This 35" monitor is desirable but seems like the price is disappointingly high.

There is some huge novelty markup here when the 32" Omen is priced at so much less MSRP.

Not really comparable. 21:9, higher resolution, larger, G-Sync, 100 Hz versus 75 Hz, Curved vs flat, etc.

Those variances don't cost $800- $900 difference MSRP.

Meaning there is still a HUGE early adopters novelty markup.

In fact I'd guess producing three 32" omen monitors costs HP 50% more in raw materials and production cost than producing one 35" Omen. Yet three Omens 32" are cheaper.

I was looking forward to the inevitable 35 and 38" HP ultrawides, especially after the very reasonably priced Omen 32" at $400 MSRP and $300-$330 street price I was hoping HP would break the mold and release this for say $750 or $800 MSRP and say $600-$650 street price.

Dream = dashed

32" Omen is a high volume item. You'd be surprised at how quickly build costs climb for low volume items like the 35" Omen.

Archaea....thats the price....deal with it or wait for a sale, or buy a cheaper CF791, or buy an even cheaper microboard.

Surround displays suck balls compared to one nice widescreen solution sitting on your desk.

Archaea....thats the price....deal with it or wait for a sale, or buy a cheaper CF791, or buy an even cheaper microboard.

Surround displays suck balls compared to one nice widescreen solution sitting on your desk.

Definitely listen to I88, he is president Trumps Plenipotentiary of Technology. (PoT).

Back