HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, VA panel

Someone sell this guy their unused
I bought one of the refurb ones from ebay and they didn't came with the VESA mount adapter. I tried looking for one on HP website, ebay, etc... but I can't find a compatible VESA mount adapter. The only compatible 3rd party VESA mount I can find (humancentric) will only start selling them 2-3 months from now. The monitor is too tall for my shelve computer desk and I want to use a monitor arm with on it. I can't use that monitor right now and it's just in a huge box in my room. I have already tested it and besides some very minor banding, I can live with it.

https://www.humancentric.com/product/vesa-adapter-hp-32-inch-displays/
I already contacted these guys and they said it supports the Omen 32, but the mount won't be available for months.

Does anyone want to sell their VESA mount adapter they are not planning to use or not going to use in the foreseeable future? You can always buy a mount from humancentric when they will release them for sale in few months. Please give me a pm if anyone wants to sell me one.

edit: still no bite.

I'd try to get a bite here, but I'd also cast a line over at AnandTech as well.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/hp-omen-32-va-2560x1440-75hz-freesync.2497289/

I bought this monitor. It has a return period, but also with Nvidia frame skipping and my warranty laws I'm confident in a return down the line too when required.

I like everything about it but a few things I'm still testing. I used to have a 28" 4k TN. Of course I'm losing PPI/Clarity, but I still cannot see the pixels - the clarity takes a hit but I gain advantages in ui scaling, gpu futureproofing, higher settings elsewhere and just easier to run and I enjoy the size a lot. The bezel is also much, much nicer then what I previously had.

possible cons -

Response time. I'm on the 3rd setting (of 4) and there is a little bit (tiny) of bluring in game. I'm sitting extremely close right now because I haven't taken the other monitor off VESA, but we'll see.

Input Lag. Surprisingly, this isin't as bad as I thought it would be. Needs more testing, but in R6 Siege it feels a little different on the mouse but hard to pinpoint.

will edit/post reply later, anything i say is from a GAMERS PERSPECTIVE (odd that i like such a large size over fast response)

update 1:

blur is noticeable, if you are coming from a TN you will notice it easy

input lag is actually higher then initially thought. Disappointing. My 4k 55" piece of junk TV feels as good or nicer.

Without an AMD card, you cannot use freesync(duh) or 75hz which makes the deal quite a bit worse for me.

last update;

Pros:

Bezel: It's thin, flat and matte. Amazing
Inputs: DP/HDMI/USB. Great
Size: 32" is excellent
Viewing Angles: Superb.
Color: Nice
Contrast/Black Level: Excellent
Build Quality: Excellent. The stand is amazing, it has VESA and the finish is excellent.
OSD: Above Average

Cons:

75hz Does not work on Nvidia
Without Freesync, you are screwed due to tearing and frame times
Input lag is excessive. I'd wager the test someone did a few pages back is almost correct. 20-35ms
Response time is NOT 5ms. 4th Setting has inverse

Interesting theory;

Without 75hz and Freesync, the input lag is inflated because it's not in the correct "game mode" that bypasses the other processing.
TFT Central proves that different refresh rates (higher) on the same panel can improve input lag AND response time. e.g The same monitor at 60/120/144hz all have improving input lag and response time.

It's not unthinkable to make the connection with Freesync triggering a 'game mode' one step further and doing something on top of the 75hz improvement.

Think of the Dell u3014 in game mode, it removes ALL input lag (Literally 17ms to 1ms on TFT Central) . so e.g the theory for the Omen

Freesync off @ 60hz = 30ms input lag
Freesync on @ 75hz = 10ms input lag + lowered/smoother frame times + no tearing/glitches

However, I do not have an AMD card so I can not test this theory. But either way, this monitor is almost unusable for me in its current configuration. I am just spoiled by my previous monitor, with zero input lag and insanely fast response time.

Last edited:
noticeably higher for you?

I've used this and a 144Hz Acer XZ350CU (FreeSync version of the Predator X) back to back and I can't feel any difference on input lag. I couldn't on the Dell 3014 either. I play at 6-15 person LAN parties about every month or two and I've not had any problem switching between any of these monitors and either securing top slot on the leaderboard or being top three in any twitch first person shooter games including Battlefield, Doom, and Overwatch. I notice absolutely no input lag on my Omen displays with the Fury X cards (I haven't tested with Nvida, but I don't think that should matter, unless you are experiencing frame skipping trying to run the Omen at 75hz with an Nvidia card). That's only speaking for me. But I guess I just wonder when people say you shouldnt consider a certain monitor if you are a hardcore gamer. What exactly is a hardcore gamer? It's like superfluous advice. I don't know any hardcore gamers. Are we talking someone like fatal1ty or subzer0? For real world consumers can anyone really tell the difference in current monitor tech? When I used a 37" Samsung HDTV for a short time a few years back I did notice a slight bit of input lag and it wasn't bearable, but when I used a 32" HTDV from Toshiba the input lag was perhaps very slight but bearable to me (for reference). The input lag on the Omen is not even observable to my eyes/senses - whatever actual MS rating it is. Perhaps perceptions on that are different.

I'm on a Nvidia card and can feel the input lag plain as day. It throws me off big time in R6 Siege, which requires quite precise aiming and recoil control. I mean, it just feels off. Switching to my Xb280hk I can feel it instantly.

Now, as for my post above. I have no idea if Freesync + 75hz fixes the input lag. Its a very possible theory. The Dell U3014 on TFT Central has 17ms input lag, but in 'game mode' via OSD it only has 1ms as all the extra signal processing is disabled. I find TFT Central to be extremely reliable.

As a Nvidia user, I cannot use the 'Freesync-Gamemode' shown on the Quick View OSD. I also cannot test this theory either as I have no AMD card.

But believe me, its' very noticeable. Like someone else said, 25-35ms easily with a response time pixel shift of 6-9ms g2g for me at 60hz.

I love everything about the monitor but this problem. If its true that AMD has vastly reduced input lag, I'd think twice about returning it and selling my 980 ti @ 1480mhz for a loss.

Omen owners, how far do you sit from the monitor? I'm thinking of buying one, but I really need some first hand info.

I currently sit 24 inches / 60 cm away from a 24'' 1920x1200 monitor. I thought 32'' would be too big for my desk so I plugged in a 32'' TV for a couple of hours and only really needed to move a few more inches for it to feel right.
As Omen's PPI is quite similar I'm wondering if sitting 3+ feet away is just a preference or a necessity, because e.g. monitor is too high with the stand or something like that? I can only move away about 31 inches / 78 cm on this desk (depending how much the screen is protruding from the stand) so that would be a dealbreaker for me.

2 feet distance is fine. I'm about 2 - 4 feet away, depending whether I'm sitting upright and leaning forward, or lounging back in my chair.

yeah i try to sit back from it a bit, I wasn't ready for how huge the monitor would be, but i'm used to it by now.

I've use mine at the Fastest setting since I got it, and haven't noticed anything off from it. My previous monitor was 5ms too, so I don't necessarily know what to look for, but I thought I'd see something noticeable in how consistent an image appears, if I'm making it switch between light colours and dark colours, quickly. I played some Witcher 3, and found places where I could pan the camera between detailed light and dark details, and there I panned the camera to-and-from, but didn't perceive any deficiency in the image-drawing or colour-representation.

I'm just extremely lucky over my life time it seems In regards to monitors up until now.

Up until late 2005 I had a honking 20" CRT, which has instant response time and no input lag.

Then, from 2006-2008 I had a decent LCD.

2008-2014 I had a 24" 1ms ASUS gaming LCD, oh my god was it a good purchase. I've still got it in the house and it's incredible (VW246h series or something). Never let me down, still has some dumb stickers on it.

2014 I went to a 32" Samsung television that came out in 2009 that had a huge bezel bigger then my hand and wasn't even LED. But somehow it had no ghosting or input lag. I just found it in my house and wanted to play War Thunder and Mech warrior on a bigger screen and it worked. (Game mode is god like? )

Then I went to a xb280hk 1ms tn in 2015. Which I understand now truly is 1ms and has no input lag.

Always been looking for a big monitor like the 32" again, and every single monitor I've tried that was IPS or VA was a failure in some area. Two IPS with insane BLB, ips glow and just off-axis glow that it wasn't manageable (34' LG which is known for BLB and a random 27" no name brand). Another VA which was 32" but way too low PPI (agon 322fx) and now this, which everything is amazing except for the input lag / response time which I have no idea if it's a nvidia problem or what.

In War Thunder, when you pan the camera the trees are noticebly more blur. In WoW, when you move the camera and stop you can see the detail appear in the walls. For R6 siege it's a lot harder to discern. But that game is where I have the other problem, Input lag the most (It's an FPS)

I'm super perceptible to it seems because I have literally never had it before to this degree.

It's like Anti-aliasing to me, I am super perceptible to that too. It looks and feels like a corruption of the image on the base level. Input lag and response time is on that tier too.

edit; I played with this at 75hz even with any Nvidia errors and it feels a lot smoother in regards to input lag. Placebo? I dunno, I did 10 blind tests with my friend and managed to guess 75/60hz correctly every time, it feels like you have weights on your arms in 60hz mode (input lag), where 75hz is more manageable.

Fastest setting for image control - response time is unusuble due to inverse ghosting/artifiacts

Last edited:
I just ordered one of these for the equivalent of 480 $. Now switching to "praying the panel turns out good" mode... I've never had a VA monitor before, and I can't stand IPS anymore. If this won't suit me either I might as well figure a way to go back to CRT until OLED prices drop :)

I'm just extremely lucky over my life time it seems In regards to monitors up until now.

Up until late 2005 I had a honking 20" CRT, which has instant response time and no input lag.

Then, from 2006-2008 I had a decent LCD.

2008-2014 I had a 24" 1ms ASUS gaming LCD, oh my god was it a good purchase. I've still got it in the house and it's incredible (VW246h series or something). Never let me down, still has some dumb stickers on it.

2014 I went to a 32" Samsung television that came out in 2009 that had a huge bezel bigger then my hand and wasn't even LED. But somehow it had no ghosting or input lag. I just found it in my house and wanted to play War Thunder and Mech warrior on a bigger screen and it worked. (Game mode is god like? )

Then I went to a xb280hk 1ms tn in 2015. Which I understand now truly is 1ms and has no input lag.

Always been looking for a big monitor like the 32" again, and every single monitor I've tried that was IPS or VA was a failure in some area. Two IPS with insane BLB, ips glow and just off-axis glow that it wasn't manageable (34' LG which is known for BLB and a random 27" no name brand). Another VA which was 32" but way too low PPI (agon 322fx) and now this, which everything is amazing except for the input lag / response time which I have no idea if it's a nvidia problem or what.

In War Thunder, when you pan the camera the trees are noticebly more blur. In WoW, when you move the camera and stop you can see the detail appear in the walls. For R6 siege it's a lot harder to discern. But that game is where I have the other problem, Input lag the most (It's an FPS)

I'm super perceptible to it seems because I have literally never had it before to this degree.

It's like Anti-aliasing to me, I am super perceptible to that too. It looks and feels like a corruption of the image on the base level. Input lag and response time is on that tier too.

edit; I played with this at 75hz even with any Nvidia errors and it feels a lot smoother in regards to input lag. Placebo? I dunno, I did 10 blind tests with my friend and managed to guess 75/60hz correctly every time, it feels like you have weights on your arms in 60hz mode (input lag), where 75hz is more manageable.

Fastest setting for image control - response time is unusuble due to inverse ghosting/artifiacts

Buy an AMD card to try. If it doesn't work out, return it. You can buy a AMD Fury card for a little over $200, or an RX480 card for about $180 AR if you shop around. The Fury card will be a little faster and in my opinion is the better option. 4GB HBM is not the same limitation that 4GB GDDR5 is.

I think that should eliminate your perceived input lag. It will not however eliminate the less than absolutely perfect pixel response times. That's the only 'fault' I have with this monitor and it's minor.

See at timestamp 33:25

You can see in the video I posted that is still present with the Omen, and even more present with the 144Hz 35" VA widescreen Acer, but not present at all with the Dell 3014. Even so I liked the Omen over the Dell 3014 when freesync was added to the equation. Freesync works really well to make the gaming experience smooth, and you can definitely tell when it goes outside of freesync range. It's one of those things you probably don't appreciate, until you try it, (and get used to it.) I don't think I'd like a monitor without gsync or freesync now that I'm used to it.

Last edited:
I have exhausted all the possible places where I can buy a VESA mount adapter. Nothing on amazon and ebay. Gladiatorjoe website didn't list it and I haven't heard anything from him yet when I asked if he will be selling them. Humancentric still won't have any for months. HP for some reason don't sell them even though they have three 32" monitors that ships with them.

Does anyone in this thread want to sell theirs?

Hello guys.

Registered just to let you know, that after weeks of asking on many different HP-Channels I finally got a definite answer regarding the PWM question.

https://h30492.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...HP-Omen-32-eine-PWM-gesteuerte-LED/m-p/447581

Long story short. This Monitor (and the Pavillon 32 aswell) is NOT flicker-free! It uses a (quite high frequency) pwm-dimming technique.
So my eyestrain is not just an illusion. I will unfortunately have to return the monitor. Why HP... WHY... a true flicker-free dimming method is perhaps 10-15$ more expensive... a price I and many other users would pay without hesitation.

Cheers
Cross

Hello guys.

Registered just to let you know, that after weeks of asking on many different HP-Channels I finally got a definite answer regarding the PWM question.

https://h30492.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...HP-Omen-32-eine-PWM-gesteuerte-LED/m-p/447581

Long story short. This Monitor (and the Pavillon 32 aswell) is NOT flicker-free! It uses a (quite high frequency) pwm-dimming technique.
So my eyestrain is not just an illusion. I will unfortunately have to return the monitor. Why HP... WHY... a true flicker-free dimming method is perhaps 10-15$ more expensive... a price I and many other users would pay without hesitation.

Cheers
Cross

Same with input lag, why why whyyyyyyyyyy

cut short in some vital areas is so annoying, when big monitor choices are so lacking

Same with input lag, why why whyyyyyyyyyy

cut short in some vital areas is so annoying, when big monitor choices are so lacking

Buy an AMD card. there's no noticeable input lag with freesync in my opinion. none.

update:

I received my monitor several days ago, hoping to replace a Dell U2412M. I have them side by side, so here's what I see:

-Blacks are very clearly more black on the Omen. Movies are a big improvement!
-There's less bleed on the Omen.
-Omen has those vertical-line-thingies when looking from the side.
-Omen doesn't have the same ridiculously strong anti-glare coating so it does not look uniformly dirty all over.
-Freesync is recognized and definitely works. I like the added smoothness, although the difference for me is not really big.
-The colors don't look as good as they do on the IPS. I don't mean the calibration (I'm sure this can be calibrated to look great from that aspect), but they simply do not look as deep and as bright. It seems VA is somewhere between TN and IPS in that regard.

Last edited:
I'm still confused about what's the difference between "neutral" and "native" color in the menu?
And do you freesync with Vsync on/off/either?
But mostly does this monitor really have such bright oversatured colors or something is wrong with mine?

Here is a comparison. Omen is on the left. Dell's colors got messed up when I was trying to calibrate the Omen so dark red is not red anymore, but everything is still clearly visible. You can see dark red and dark grey on the Omen are not exactly dark.

A few people have uploaded their calibrated profiles using proper calibration devices. Might wanna give one of those a try and compare again.

Does anyone else get screen tearing at 75 fps in games? When using freesync I have to use rivatuner to cap my fps at 73 in order to eliminate screen tearing.

Does anyone else get screen tearing at 75 fps in games? When using freesync I have to use rivatuner to cap my fps at 73 in order to eliminate screen tearing.

If using freesync and framerate goes above 75hz you will also get tearing just like below 48hz.

The workaround is either to use vsync too or use framerate target control through the catalyst control center or alternatively rivatuner and set it at 72 or 73 like you've discovered because unlike vsync it isn't a perfect limiter so you need those 2-3 FPS as a buffer. This is a freesync limitation and applicable to all freesync monitors.

This has been discussed in the thread before.

Hey guys, I'm new here and thought I could chip in and provide a comparison between 2 monitors: HP Omen 32 and AOC Q3277FQE.
Both monitors share the same panel, I think. I just received both so expect a pseudo-review within a day or 2. Also, the AOC may be hard to get your hands on but it is cheapest option for this panel, in Canada at least. If you guys can suggest/advice me a certain methodology of testing the monitors, I would appreciate that. I'd like to be thorough as I will be keeping one of them.

Last edited:
Sucks, but I sold my HP Omen 32. I'm glad I sold it for what I paid for it, but the lack of flicker free was killing my eyes. Kind of bummed, as I liked it a lot besides the fact of it killing my eyes.

Sucks, but I sold my HP Omen 32. I'm glad I sold it for what I paid for it, but the lack of flicker free was killing my eyes. Kind of bummed, as I liked it a lot besides the fact of it killing my eyes.
The AOC is flicker free

EDIT: Advertised as flicker-free

Last edited:
[HP Omen 32] Does anybody here know what "Video Level" under Image Control does in theory? I set it to Limited Range and picture looked more IPS-ish.

I then put the AOC side-by-side with the HP and noticed that the AOC gave a very TN-ish picture i.e. that grey tint. I played an episode of Game of Thrones and blacks looked deeper; golden hair appeared even more golden, blood looks redder. The AOC does display a whiter white. If anybody here knows how to make the Omen display a whiter white, please tell me.

First impressions: I like the 32in size, it's perfect. The Omen 32 stands about ~1cm higher than the AOC. Both stands do not go up and down (wtf AOC & HP?! not the best monitor size to omit height adjustment...). In terms of colors, my Eizo displays a more vibrant picture but tbh, it's negligible. I am extremely picky with colors when it comes to monitors and this VA panel is outstanding for the price. Besides, the deeper blacks definitely make up for it. All my games/movies are mostly in dark environments so having deeper blacks definitely helps. The AG coating looks identical on both monitors.

That's it for now, will keep you guys posted. Haven't gamed on either one of them yet.

FYI: my previous monitor is an Eizo FS2333

I thought it was too when I used my smartphone, but it's not. I'm assuming the camera doesn't pick up on it, but my eyes are feeling it. See above for the post, but here's the link as well.

Hmm, well, upon first using the AOC monitor, I did feel eye strain and, this one is advertised as flicker-free. I believe this is mostly due to the increased monitor size. Going from 23"=>32" is quite the bump, I'm really not used to it. But then, the strain quickly disappeared. Also, I use f.lux, a software that reduces blue light: quite useful for extended programming sessions at night.

Can you vaguely describe what the flickering is like? I never noticed this to be a problem with any monitors i've used before, but i don't believe i have any VA panels either.

Normally you can use your cell phone camera to visibly see flickering. Just looking at the monitor you won't be able to tell. Not everyone is affected, but I sure am. An hour on this monitor and my eyes are killing me.

Not to minimize face2faces situation - but I think he is the only guy in this thread who sees the flashing concern. I've used these Omen monitors for almost a year now. Three of them. I can't see it. I don't think the vast majority of people would see a problem or we'd have more posts in the thread of complaint. Human eyes are probably on a bell curve of refresh perception --- like everything else in life.

Not to minimize face2faces situation - but I think he is the only guy in this thread who sees the flashing concern. I've used these Omen monitors for almost a year now. Three of them. I can't see it. I don't think the vast majority of people would see a problem or we'd have more posts in the thread of complaint. Human eyes are probably on a bell curve of refresh perception --- like everything else in life.

Yeah my eyes are super sensitive. Which really blows, as I really like the monitor. I remember seeing a couple of other people in this thread that are also getting eyestrain, but like you said it's certainly not everyone.

I'll have to check tonight - I don't remember. But if there is a full there - I suspect I have it set to full -- that'd be more typical.

Yeah my eyes are super sensitive. Which really blows, as I really like the monitor. I remember seeing a couple of other people in this thread that are also getting eyestrain, but like you said it's certainly not everyone.
I see, it just doesn't make sense why this would be the sole reason behind your eyes hurting. My eyes hurt after hours of use as well and my current monitors are IPS with no noticeable flickering. I just tried to phone capture and it's not there. I will try it with the Omen when i hook it up late.

Any blurriness, dizziness or disorientation? Are you sitting too close to the screen? Brightness to high? Does it happen on all media format? Video, games, photo's, text?

Archaea Do you have the Video Level setting set to "Limited" ?

You should only use "Limited" if your source is video, i.e. DVD/Blu-ray or cable. If your monitor is connected to a PC, then always use "Full" as PC video signals can output full 0-255 grayscale while video sources for TV's cannot.

EDIT: As per Archaea's reply, I should have clarified more rather than making rush blanket statements...

You should always match your grayscale setting on your monitor to that of your source =D

Most people will have their PC's outputting "Full" so use "Full".

Last edited:
You should only use "Limited" if your source is video, i.e. DVD/Blu-ray or cable. If your monitor is connected to a PC, then always use "Full" as PC video signals can output full 0-255 grayscale while video sources for TV's cannot.
That depends on the source many blue ray players and consoles let you select full. PS3, Xbox 360 and such allow you to choose full.

Well so far i've already run into some issues. The monitor is running fine with no noticeable damage. But i can not get the freesync to activate in crimson. Where in the monitor menu can i access the option to enable freesync or DP 1.2(a)?

I'm not to sure how these displayport cables are supposed to work. But what is the difference between a normal displayport 1.2 and 1.2a cable? I bought a generic mini DP-to-displayport cable. Are these not compatible? There is no specifications on whether or not it is 1.2(a)

I'm using a 295x2 gpu and as far as i know AMD stated this card does support Freesync. But in the crimson app the Freesync tab is labeled "not supported" under the display menu.

Is this in reference to the monitor or the gpu?

Not if you match display source to display. Full or 0-255 can give deeper blacks. Limited gives up some of the black detail.
Match display source to display, huh ? Couldn't find anything about that on Google, teach me senpai !

I uploaded a before and after changing the Video Level setting: clearly the Limited looks nicer.
Full.jpg Limited.jpg

EDIT: Here's the same image on the AOC (default settings) if anyone's interested:
AOC.jpg
EDIT2: Here's the same image on the AOC (gamma setting changed) if anyone's interested:
aoc gamma.jpg

Last edited:
Well so far i've already run into some issues. The monitor is running fine with no noticeable damage. But i can not get the freesync to activate in crimson. Where in the monitor menu can i access the option to enable freesync or DP 1.2(a)?

I'm not to sure how these displayport cables are supposed to work. But what is the difference between a normal displayport 1.2 and 1.2a cable? I bought a generic mini DP-to-displayport cable. Are these not compatible? There is no specifications on whether or not it is 1.2(a)

I'm using a 295x2 gpu and as far as i know AMD stated this card does support Freesync. But in the crimson app the Freesync tab is labeled "not supported" under the display menu.

Is this in reference to the monitor or the gpu?

You can only use the freesync in quick view setting "Gaming-Freesync", or "Custom" mode if you modify "Gaming-FreeSync mode. If in anyother mode you can't select Freesync. Yes your 295 should be compatible with freesync.

Back