HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, VA panel

Suggestion. Try to calibrate it without profile. Use the Munki + HCFR for measuring results. It is far preferable to have a display calibrated from its own hardware settings than using calibration software to make profiles. Since profiles are not always respected by some full screen apps or games.
Thx, i'll be back later with an hardware profile.

So if i own a 980Ti I should skip this monitor if I'm looking for 75Hz without Frame-Skip?

As of right now, Yes. I still have skipping at 75Hz, hopefully Racerprose will have some good news for us NVIDIA users.

Thanks. I went ahead and bit the bullet on a refurb model on Ebay for $249 w/Free shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252694464247

Even it it doesn't work out for my main rig, I'll move it over to my 2nd PC. I have a Qnix 27" PLS monitor now, but really want more real estate without going 4K.

I do hope the NVIDIA 75Hz issue is fixed though because I like my current monitor at 96Hz.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
After several test i found the follow result :

In Radeon sofware put 6500K
In OSD make sure you are in freesync mode, i guess, and enter the values for :

Red : 250
Green : 239
Blue : 253
Contrast : 80
Brightness : 32 (115-120 cd/m2)

If it's too dark for you you can up the brightness a little bit but don't forget more you up the brightness, more you loose details in light tone.

There is also a thread over at HP's support forums. I'm hoping someone from HP responds about the NVIDIA 75Hz issue.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Accessories/Hp-Omen-32-inch-monitor-frame-skipping/td-p/5948231

Ya saw that thread. Guess we will have to wait and see HP's response before moving forward with them. Though this seems to be something that can be addressed by Nvidia. FreeSync is an open source protocol, and everything else through Display port is standardized so makes me look to the vendor who is the only inconsistent variable of this issue. Nvidia @ 75hz.

I have read the whole forum, but now that there's some time under the belt with this monitor. Would people still suggest this monitor? or move along? The 32" size for immersion sounds amazing, but not owning a AMD graphics card for 75hz, and the thought that you can grab an asus 27 1440p 144hz for the same prices makes me wonder.

I have read the whole forum, but now that there's some time under the belt with this monitor. Would people still suggest this monitor? or move along? The 32" size for immersion sounds amazing, but not owning a AMD graphics card for 75hz, and the thought that you can grab an asus 27 1440p 144hz for the same prices makes me wonder.

I'm keeping my monitor, love it!
This will eventually be resolved and to be honest, I am playing games now with the setting at 75hz and am okay with the performance. the screen real estate is what I got this for, as my 27" is now my secondary display. Not going back to 27" as primary display.

I picked up this monitor over the holidays and I love it, but I've been getting pretty bad eye strain. My previous monitor was a 8-year old 27" samsung LCD and I could stare at that thing for days with no problems. I do a few hour gaming session on this monitor and the next day I'm in pain.

I've tried varying brightness, contrast, warmer color settings, and using computer glasses, but nothing seems to help. I called HP tech support and they seemed concerned but offered no real help either. They couldn't tell me whether the monitor uses PWM or not. I've tried to do a couple of flicker tests myself and can't see any signs of PWM so maybe that's not the issue.

Anybody else having similar issues or can offer any recommendations? I have pretty sensitive eyes so I wouldn't be surprised if most people aren't.

Thanks!

No eyestrain here. Been using it since August. I still really enjoy mine. I agree that 27" at 1440p is not as enjoyable. I had one of those Korean 27" ips monitors and sold it within two weeks. For me the text was too small on the 27" 1440p.

As to eyestrain have you tried varying seating distance with brightness lowered quite a bit? I'd guess you are too close and it's too bright.

Maybe also make sure you are using 60 hz if nvidia user. I run mine at 75hz with freesync on an AMD card.

I picked up this monitor over the holidays and I love it, but I've been getting pretty bad eye strain. My previous monitor was a 8-year old 27" samsung LCD and I could stare at that thing for days with no problems. I do a few hour gaming session on this monitor and the next day I'm in pain.

I've tried varying brightness, contrast, warmer color settings, and using computer glasses, but nothing seems to help. I called HP tech support and they seemed concerned but offered no real help either. They couldn't tell me whether the monitor uses PWM or not. I've tried to do a couple of flicker tests myself and can't see any signs of PWM so maybe that's not the issue.

Anybody else having similar issues or can offer any recommendations? I have pretty sensitive eyes so I wouldn't be surprised if most people aren't.

Thanks!

I had eyestrain the first day with the new monitor... Had to turn the brightness down to 45 to eliminate the eye strain.

No eyestrain here. Been using it since August. I still really enjoy mine. I agree that 27" at 1440p is not as enjoyable. I had one of those Korean 27" ips monitors and sold it within two weeks. For me the text was too small on the 27" 1440p.

As to eyestrain have you tried varying seating distance with brightness lowered quite a bit? I'd guess you are too close and it's too bright.

Maybe also make sure you are using 60 hz if nvidia user. I run mine at 75hz with freesync on an AMD card.

Thanks for the response.

AMD user. I am running 60HZ because my KVM switch won't handle 75hz unfortunately. Though I have tried 75hz directly from gaming machine and didn't notice much of a difference.

I generally vary brightness from 40-60 depending on time of day. If I go below 40 I see too much glare from ambient lights.

Good suggestion on view distance. I've moved it a bit, but I just got a monitor arm mount so I should have more flexibility to move it now.

I too have a Qnix 1440p Korean monitor. I actually love it, but I want something bigger and more immersive. I also have sensitive eyes and have eyestrain problems. I usually have to turn the brightness down on all of my monitors, so I imagine i'll be doing the same on this one. I might be getting mine today, but most likely on Monday...

At any rate, is there any update on the 75Hz NVIDIA issue. Any idea if that file was sent to NVIDIA? If not, does anyone want to open a case? I can open a case with HP if necessary.

I have grown to really like this monitor. I have an AMD card so I can't really comment on the 75 Hz issue.

Size: I thought 32" might be too big when I bought it, but I really like it now. 32" and 1440p are a good combination to run without needing any DPI scaling.
Eye strain: I don't have this issue at all, but as others have said, you should turn down the brightness on this monitor. I run it at 50 right now while the default is like 80 or 90.
VA: I think what I have ended up liking most about the monitor is the VA panel. It has great black levels. No more IPS glow. No more horrible TN colors and viewing angles. I know all computer monitor panels have trade-offs, but VA works great for me.

Ok...so I picked this monitor up on eBay (refurb, didn't come w/ VESA mount nor the DP cable but eh). My question is: Do I REALLY need to use DP for Freesync or since I am running the latest Crimson Reborn drivers (17.2.1) I can skate by with HDMI? (If I overlooked it in this thread then I'm sorry)

My understanding is you need display port to run full refresh and resolution.

Ok...so I picked this monitor up on eBay (refurb, didn't come w/ VESA mount nor the DP cable but eh). My question is: Do I REALLY need to use DP for Freesync or since I am running the latest Crimson Reborn drivers (17.2.1) I can skate by with HDMI? (If I overlooked it in this thread then I'm sorry)

Mine isn't coming until Monday. What do you think of it? I ordered the refurb for $249 as well. I also grabbed a nice quality DP 1.2 cable as well.

Archaea as far as resolution that can be done via HDMI (as I'm currently at that res @ 75hz...unless I'm still cheating myself LOL).

Face2Face: As far as I can tell: no image issues. Everything seems sturdy EXCEPT the buttons on the back. Some feel like they're starting to stick or they don't click properly. This may be by design. Other than that the monitor's great! Dropped the brightness down to 50 and changed the color values as was posted in this thread. I can't tell per say if Freesync is running or not over HDMI. The monitor says it's on and so does the AMD control panel...

No dead pixels and at least on mine I don't notice any back light bleed. I just have to get used to a 32" screen (coming from 24" WS + 19" ... normal...screen?). Getting this monitor at the refurb price (I paid 275 from the same seller as yours) or heck even if you can get it for under 350, it's a great monitor.

I may pick up a DP cable. Could go to Best Buy and get one but...no...no Turbo...you know better than that.

Archaea as far as resolution that can be done via HDMI (as I'm currently at that res @ 75hz...unless I'm still cheating myself LOL).

Face2Face: As far as I can tell: no image issues. Everything seems sturdy EXCEPT the buttons on the back. Some feel like they're starting to stick or they don't click properly. This may be by design. Other than that the monitor's great! Dropped the brightness down to 50 and changed the color values as was posted in this thread. I can't tell per say if Freesync is running or not over HDMI. The monitor says it's on and so does the AMD control panel...

No dead pixels and at least on mine I don't notice any back light bleed. I just have to get used to a 32" screen (coming from 24" WS + 19" ... normal...screen?). Getting this monitor at the refurb price (I paid 275 from the same seller as yours) or heck even if you can get it for under 350, it's a great monitor.

I may pick up a DP cable. Could go to Best Buy and get one but...no...no Turbo...you know better than that.

Awesome. I'm glad to hear it's working out. Do you happen to know what post # you found the color settings on? I assuming they're calibrated?

Face2Face...I must have dreamed them up LOL. I could have sworn they were in this thread. I'll look around.

Hey guys,

New to this forum but long term lurker. I just bought 2 Omen 32's running on nVidia 970 and like to add my 2 cents:

After much testing, anything above 60hz creates frameskipping. People who say 63hz works aren't looking at a bigger frameskipping spectrum. If you go to the frameskip tester and make it 100x100 wide, anything above 60hz will create frameskip.

The only reason 63hz seemsl ike there is no frame skip is because the frame only skips every like 20 frames (63/60) rather than every 4. So the problem is no hz over 60hz works for nvidia (and not this arbitrary 63hz).

But if you ignore the fact that you won't run 75hz and run it at 60hz like every monitor you've owned before 2010, this is actually one smashing monitor.

Color: 9/10
Contrast: 9/10
Response time: 9/10
Ghosting: 6.5/10
Size: 10/10
Resolution: 10/10
Screen quality (QA): 10/10 (no dead pixels)
Design / quality: 10/10 - great design, the stand is totally metal really solid, the VESA mount is also thick metal so very sturdy.
Price: 20/10 - got these for 300

Overall, compared to Dell ultrasharps, price wise they are an absolute steal. I bought 2 x32 inch 1440p monitors for the price of on 2715 1440p monitor and never looked back (I used ot be a dell fanboy)

can anyone with this monitor test if you can get full resolution with HDMI? I don't care if it's only 60hz. thanks

Does anyone know how to turn off Dynamic contrast off and keep it off? Every time I turn the monitor off and back on again, it becomes enabled. I like the look of it, but it's killing my eyes. I have the brightness down to 24ish and with Dynamic contrast on it goes back to being too bright.

Does anyone know how to turn off Dynamic contrast off and keep it off? Every time I turn the monitor off and back on again, it becomes enabled. I like the look of it, but it's killing my eyes. I have the brightness down to 24ish and with Dynamic contrast on it goes back to being too bright.

You should probably contact HP support. That sounds defective to me.

I just picked this monitor up from one of the eBay refurb deals not realizing that it does not come with the vesa adapter plate. Hoping someone who isn't planning on using theirs might be willing to sell it to me for a reasonable cost? Will pay shipping or can meet local, I'm in central NJ.

Thanks!

Are you still getting eye strain? I'm having the same problem. Like you, I love the monitor but it's killing my eyes. I tried all of the things you have and I'm not sure what to do at this point. When I go back to my 27" qnix I can feel my eyes start to relax persay. It's an odd feeling.

Are you still getting eye strain? I'm having the same problem. Like you, I love the monitor but it's killing my eyes. I tried all of the things you have and I'm not sure what to do at this point. When I go back to my 27" qnix I can feel my eyes start to relax persay. It's an odd feeling.

Still haven't confirmed whether the monitor uses PWM so not sure if thats the issue or not, but I've got a setup that is at least tolerable for me for now.

Two changes I made:
1. Setup a soft white (yellowish) lamp next to the monitor that's always on when using monitor. I use a 40w equivalent CFL Bulb. I've read this can help reduce the effect of PWM because it creates a constant light to even out PWM pulses. Dont have time to find the reference, but if you google I'm sure you can find the same.
2. I drastically reduced brightness. I was running around 50% brightness before and now I'm running between 20-30%. It seemed dim at first but then I got used to it. Honestly I'm not sure 20% brightness in this monitor is any dimmer than 100% on my old monitor (pre LED backlighting)

I did about 5 hours of gaming Wednesday night with this setup and I didn't feel the eye pain like before.

Hope that helps. Let me know if it works for you.

For those interested, here are my calibrated settings for my Omen 32 using a Colormunki Display and DisplayCal.

Custom Mode for Gaming (w/ Freesync) Settings Feb 26:
Color Temp @ 6500K
Brightness @ 32 (109-110 cd/m2)
Contrast @ 80 (Dynamic Contrast = OFF)
R @ 252
G @ 255
B @ 240

ICC profile that took over 4 hours ->

Hopefully I uploaded and shared it correctly.

Cheers!

Last edited:
For those interested, here are my calibrated settings for my Omen 32 using a Colormunki Display and DisplayCal.

Custom Mode for Gaming (w/ Freesync) Settings Feb 26:
Color Temp @ 6500K
Brightness @ 32 (109-110 cd/m2)
Contrast @ 80
R @ 252
G @ 255
B @ 240

If any of you would like my built ICC profile that took over 4 hours to do, let me know and I'll upload it.

Cheers!

Please upload. Also is this with Dynamic contrast on?

I bought one of the refurb ones from ebay and they didn't came with the VESA mount adapter. I tried looking for one on HP website, ebay, etc... but I can't find a compatible VESA mount adapter. The only compatible 3rd party VESA mount I can find (humancentric) will only start selling them 2-3 months from now. The monitor is too tall for my shelve computer desk and I want to use a monitor arm with on it. I can't use that monitor right now and it's just in a huge box in my room. I have already tested it and besides some very minor banding, I can live with it.

https://www.humancentric.com/product/vesa-adapter-hp-32-inch-displays/
I already contacted these guys and they said it supports the Omen 32, but the mount won't be available for months.

Does anyone want to sell their VESA mount adapter they are not planning to use or not going to use in the foreseeable future? You can always buy a mount from humancentric when they will release them for sale in few months. Please give me a pm if anyone wants to sell me one.

edit: still no bite. Still hoping!!

Last edited:
Back