HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, VA panel

Hey guys,

i just ordered Omen 32" monitor today in Portugal.
I've been going back and forward about jumping into the ultrawide wagon with a 34" 1440p monitor, but after using one for a couple of hours and taking in consideration the distance i'm sitting from the monitor, i just think that it would be strange.

I don't have a AMD card ( running a GTX980 ) but next year maybe i'll change sides, who knows.

Presently i have a Dell U2515H IPS monitor, and although i really like it, 25" and 1440p is a little to much for my eyes. I also use a Dell U3011 monitor but its starting to show its age and a small crack in the center bottom.
After reading Archaea's comments and knowing that he has a U3014, i was really glad to know he liked the Omen 32". I was unsure to go for a non IPS panel since all my monitors have IPS panels.

At the end of the day i wanted something that could give me a more comfortable use ( gaming and movies ) and i'm not high frequency freak so this really seems a good bet. Lets see, i'll give you some feedback when i receive it! :)

Btw, guys, one question. 75Hz is only possible with freesync or is the monitor able to deliver 75Hz without it?

It will run 75Hz without freesync enabled.
some of the posters here say with an NVidia card at 75hz you get frame skipping, and freesync is required to not have frame skipping. I've read people saying both ways. The guys that claim there is frame skipping with NVidia have put up pictures, the guys that claim there isn't have just said I don't see it. That's what I've seen anyway. I don't think I've seen a guy with an NVidia card who says there isn't, put up pictures of the blurbusters test showing there isn't.

Either way you can run the monitor at 60hz on an NVidia card with no problem --- I'm not sure which to believe with 75hz and a Nvidia monitor. Could be a setup issue, driver issue, unique PC issue whatever ---just throwing that info out there.

some of the posters here say with an NVidia card at 75hz you get frame skipping, and freesync is required to not have frame skipping. I've read people saying both ways. The guys that claim there is frame skipping with NVidia have put up pictures, the guys that claim there isn't have just said I don't see it. That's what I've seen anyway. I don't think I've seen a guy with an NVidia card who says there isn't, put up pictures of the blurbusters test showing there isn't.

Either way you can run the monitor at 60hz on an NVidia card with no problem --- I'm not sure which to believe with 75hz and a Nvidia monitor. Could be a setup issue, driver issue, unique PC issue whatever ---just throwing that info out there.

True, but he just asked if it was possible :D

I have only ran mine on 75Hz and if I go and take a picture with my DSLR as instructed on blurbusters I do see frame skipping as well. However, I have not had any issues while gaming so whatever. I didn't try it at 60Hz, but I'm pretty sure I read of people still having frame skipping even at 60Hz. Oh well...for $275 OTD I'm happy. I'm not a competitive gamer, but I still kick some ass in BF1.

yeah for what it's worth I used my NVidia quadro powered zbook 15 to work from home on an HP Omen for 8 hours the other day (no gaming) and set it to 75hz, and had no eye fatique. I can't test any games with it, on my work PC and I don't have another machine with an Nvidia card to test mine.

FWIW - I could notice the frame skipping with my 980ti @75hz while playing BF1. I also had issues where I would start to get a headache while using the monitor at 75hz. I may be more susceptible to motion issues as there's no way I can read in a car.

I decided to keep the monitor over my HP ZR30W because the colors are better. Running at 60hz I don't have any issues on the desktop or when playing BF1. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed, but only time will tell.

FWIW - I could notice the frame skipping with my 980ti @75hz while playing BF1. I also had issues where I would start to get a headache while using the monitor at 75hz. I may be more susceptible to motion issues as there's no way I can read in a car.

I decided to keep the monitor over my HP ZR30W because the colors are better. Running at 60hz I don't have any issues on the desktop or when playing BF1. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed, but only time will tell.

When you say you noticed frame skipping in BF1, what exactly did it look like? I'll have to keep an eye out for it to see if I also can notice it.

Ok, i'll do that testing too just to be sure :)

Usually i'm not sensitive to motion issues, but i'm like you Fritzz, can't read on the car, get really sick ... so lets see :)

I was thinking on going AMD next year for GPU upgrade, if i really like this monitor maybe that's one more variable to add to the final equation.

I was really thinking about other monitors i must admit, but at the end of the day i play for my own fun and not make gaming "competitive" ... so FreeSync seems just fine. Forgot i would only get the most of the monitor with AMD card :)

Sadly I returned mine. I considered moving from my Wasabi Mango (Samsung SVA Panel) 4K 40" to this for space reasons....

But there is just no comparison. I couldnt do 1440P at 32". Looked grainy to me. I do have a Dell UH2715HM 1440P 27" IPS that I use next to the Wasabi, and that seems ok. Not a bad monitor, but for someone who has used a nicer panel, this isnt the best by any means.

I think at the end of the day, it's all about dealing with expectations. I must admit the best time i had gaming was with my U3011. Although i really like the U2515H monitor, colors and sharpness, at the end of the day i prefer something a little bigger.

Then there's the math about using 4K , 1440 ultrawide's ... those resolutions need powerhorse's and i when i buy a new GPU i want to think that i have enough power to share for the next year ... and if i got something in the 4K or Ultrawide 1440 resolution to game, i would be in the same spot i'm today or was before i got the 980 ... i would have a GPU that was bearly powerful for the resolution i was using and i had to go either SLI or wait one more year for some new GPU to come out.

Will i be happy with it? Lets see :)

I'm saying this but i have a Dell U2414Q on my side ( 4K ) :p but that's for work only :)

I wanted to report in real quick to say I did some tinkering with the FreeSync range to see if I could extend it, since 48-75 is a pretty limited range. I heard issues about going above 75hz, so I instead opted to lower the bottom range using Custom Resolution Utility. I went as low as 30, but ran into brightness/flickering issues. I ran with a lower range of 40 for a while, which eliminated the flickering issues. I finally settled on 37-75 for one big reason: AMD's low framerate compensation (LFC). Although the recommended FreeSync range for LFC is atleast 2.5x the minimum value, only 2x is required for LFC to kick in, so 37-75 is enough to make it work. I can confirm that LFC kicks in when lowering the range from 48 to 37, and works as intended with frames being doubled when they drop below the minimum FreeSync value. I haven't noticed any issues with flickering with the minimum value set to 37, and everything appears to be working great. Having LFC working adds a huge extra feature to this monitor that I was missing from other high end FreeSync displays, and is very useful is some particularly graphic intensive games where dipping below 48 frames per second is common. I'm very happy with the results.

I wanted to report in real quick to say I did some tinkering with the FreeSync range to see if I could extend it, since 48-75 is a pretty limited range. I heard issues about going above 75hz, so I instead opted to lower the bottom range using Custom Resolution Utility. I went as low as 30, but ran into brightness/flickering issues. I ran with a lower range of 40 for a while, which eliminated the flickering issues. I finally settled on 37-75 for one big reason: AMD's low framerate compensation (LFC). Although the recommended FreeSync range for LFC is atleast 2.5x the minimum value, only 2x is required for LFC to kick in, so 37-75 is enough to make it work. I can confirm that LFC kicks in when lowering the range from 48 to 37, and works as intended with frames being doubled when they drop below the minimum FreeSync value. I haven't noticed any issues with flickering with the minimum value set to 37, and everything appears to be working great. Having LFC working adds a huge extra feature to this monitor that I was missing from other high end FreeSync displays, and is very useful is some particularly graphic intensive games where dipping below 48 frames per second is common. I'm very happy with the results.
Really? Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I'm hoping to be able to do the same once I get a AMD card.

Care to share how you did it?

When you say you noticed frame skipping in BF1, what exactly did it look like? I'll have to keep an eye out for it to see if I also can notice it.

Felt like micro stutters, jitteryness, overall just not as smooth as it was at 60Hz. My 980ti was supplying plenty of frames so I know that wasn't the issue. I may have been able to live with it, if it wasn't coupled with the headaches it was causing. Even using the monitor at 75hz and just being on the desktop I could feel it effecting me.

One more thing... HP My Display app is always crashing on Win10 ... :x
Anything like this happened to you guys? Any other way of setting up the display in OS ( other apps or whatever? )

Thanks ... duh ... i was used to 60Hz all the time ... forgot about changing settings on the Nvidia Control Panel :p

Well I kept the Omen. Lg Emmy back today.

Why vs lg 29uc88?

Lg better at fps gaming and color.

Omen more uses. Could be a tv. More real estate for work.

Been playing with using as a uw as well.

I am able to do it but you lose freesync.

CRU you set a custom resolution of 2560 by 1080 60 hertz. This will automatically give you 75 hertz as well.

Set your windows resolution to 2560 by 1080 and in the AMD Radeon settings set Center scaling.

In your games set to full-screen window.

I may be wrong about you losing freesync but the whole thing is the frame limiter does not limit the frames anymore when I use this mode

Nice bump in FPS

The black bars are not an issue because they are so black

In a way that's another thing that made me keep the omen is that I kinda get to play with ultra-wide still as well

Also thanks for the tip about the freesync range I'll bump it down three and see if I get LFC

What game testing did you do to verify the LFC working I have doom and Shadow Warrior 2 that I've been playing a lot of lately

honestly, the LG 29UC88 is too short for me, same height as a 24 inch monitor. I think next round I'll either get a 34 inch ultrawide or larger.

Freesync doesn't limit the upper FPS. Only vsync does that.

Screen tearing can occur if your framerate (FPS) goes above the max refresh rate in this case greater than 75hz or 75 FPS. But screen tearing can also occur if you go below the freesync range. In this case 48hz.

You can use freesync and vsync together in the simplest effective setup and just try to ensure you don't dip below 48fps as a minimum with your detail setting selection. And let vsync take care of the too fast FPS issue.

Or you can use freesync and target frame control under the global settings of the catalyst driver and limit the FPS to something like 73 FPS . (This alternate goal is to avoid using vsync because of a very slight amount of lag it adds (imperceivable to me, but supposedly there) and yet you can keep your framerate in the freesync range of 48hz to 75hz. (48fps to 75fps). Frame rate target control isn't exactly one perfect set so you use a couple less hz than max hz as the target FPS. This avoids screen tearing that would otherwise occur if you exceeded the 75hz freesync max (since you aren't using vsync. You still have to manually manage detail settings to keep the low FPS above 48fps to avoid tearing.

Last edited:
Or. ;)

You just use the LCD like we did the last 15 years before freesync or gsync and just ignore tearing.

I guess I'll wait for the G-sync version of Samsung's quantom dot technology and see how that factors out in bang for dollars.

this, would be my perfect monitor. 32" 2560x1440 144Hz gsync. i dont get it, gaming monitor with 75Hz ???? I dont care if it is IPS or VA. Plz dear manufaturers: 2560x1440, 32", gsync and freesync variant. low input lag and low response time. i like my acer x34 and its the best monitor (also pg 348q) nowadays but i would immediately buy one of these. you get a good immersion because of the size and have no problems with games support (21:9) and have more than 100hz. i think many many people would buy such a monitor.

this, would be my perfect monitor. 32" 2560x1440 144Hz gsync. i dont get it, gaming monitor with 75Hz ???? I dont care if it is IPS or VA. Plz dear manufaturers: 2560x1440, 32", gsync and freesync variant. low input lag and low response time. i like my acer x34 and its the best monitor (also pg 348q) nowadays but i would immediately buy one of these. you get a good immersion because of the size and have no problems with games support (21:9) and have more than 100hz. i think many many people would buy such a monitor.

Well the 31.5'' Samsung CH711 might just going to be what you are looking for. We'll get detailed specs at CES in a few days.

Btw guys, do you have any banding on gradients? I know i know, i'm coming from an IPS panel but just to check :) ( tried out with some fullscreen gradients and i see some minor banding )

Well the 31.5'' Samsung CH711 might just going to be what you are looking for. We'll get detailed specs at CES in a few days.

i hate the design of the samsung monitors. they are rly ugly. i dont like curved @ 16:9. this just makes sense with 21:9 34"+. and samsung just has freesync. i have a titan xp so i will not change the brand in the next year. but thx for the info!

love this monitor and I bought it for 399.. Don't regret it one bit. Its crisp, clear and looks beautiful! Highly recommended.

Got one of these for xmas from the wife, coming from a Dell S2740l glossy ips the colors are not as crisp and don't pop, but there is no backlight bleed, dead pixels or banding that I have noticed yet and the glare is minimal compared to the Dell. I also like the 2k res and the 75hz refresh. So far so good, used mostly for gaming, I have not had any issues with it yet. For $300 usd out the door from Costco I think its a pretty good deal. The last time I changed monitors I wanted a 27" Dell Ultrasharp but I ended up with four duds in a row with various problems [backlight bleed, dead pixels,doa], what a nightmare that was, and that is how I ended up with the glossy S22740l, it was the best one I could come up with, but the glare eventually drove me nuts.

Btw guys, do you have any banding on gradients? I know i know, i'm coming from an IPS panel but just to check :) ( tried out with some fullscreen gradients and i see some minor banding )

I don't get a whole lot of color banding on my HP Omen. but I do get lots of DSE. I ended up in possession of 2 of them and both had it to some degree in different areas. It's there and noticeable on panning grays and off whites. I kept the one without the dead pixel, but I'm thinking you'd have to go through a lot of them to wind up with one that didn't have any banding. My LG IPS panel didn't have any banding, but still had a lot of purple IPS glow.

IPS is probably still my favorite panel type, even with the glow. The colors on this HP Omen aren't as saturated, but are softer IMO and I like that.

I'm keeping this Omen though as the times that I actually pan gray content around my screen is minimal and honestly, it was under $300 :D

Last edited:
I ordered an Omen 32 from HP Canada, and it arrived today. My Omen 32 seems to have no almost backlight bleed that is noticeable by eye, and which is basically only visible by taking a photo of the screen.

When I overclock the monitor, it overclocks fine (I tried 85hz), but the I get an on-screen message that says the monitor is exceeding its operational range, and will go into sleep-mode in 30 seconds. And in the message, there's a countdown timer, counting down from 30 seconds. Does anyone know how to override that message, and make it ignore the overclock? It's obviously an artificial measure HP put in.

Also, the monitor has some banding, and while it's not extreme, it's a bit distracting. In most situation it isn't visible. The exception is with grey, which is the only colour I've been able to notice it in, so far. Do any of these monitors have no colour-banding, whatsoever?

What do you people think: Should I RMA this monitor, and try for one with less banding?

KtT6o10.jpg
I have banding as well across different spots on the monitor. This is more like DSE/Banding that gradient banding and mine is also really only visible on grey. I'd keep it man, both of mine have a bit of this and it's only noticeable sometimes. Enjoy the monitor...it's beautiful!

Anyone having success @ 75hz on Nvidia? Would like to consider another 1080 or two 1070s but I would love to have this issue resolved.

I've had this display since it was on sale and I absolutely love it.

However,

Does anyone ever get occasional screen tearing? The only game I play at the moment is BF1 so I haven't really tested it on other games but I get the occasional ripple that goes horizontally across the middle of the screen. I'm running a R9 290 OC'd and I have my FRTC set to 75 in the radeon software. I usually stay between 70-75 with the way I have my settings. I tried turning AA to TSAA instead of FXAA med/high and it seemed to help a bit.

Is the occasional screen tearing a monitor defect or drivers/game?

I haven't p[layed much battlefield one, but I've got about 300 hours on mine or so and the only game I've noticed it on occasionally is witcher 3. I think twice in about 4 hours of playtime...almost like a slightly different color gradient briefly. It goes away and is atypical. Is that what you are talking about? Since I've used the monitor for like 5 months at this point and thats the only game that does it - I chalked it up to flukey wierd something or other.

Back