HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, VA panel

yeah I'd be interested in this if it oc'd to 120hz or more. I play fps games like CSGO and Overwatch and higher refresh monitors make a huge difference.

can someone post a picture of there osd info screen at 2560x1440 @ 75hz?

mine at those settings just list horizontal and vertical frequencies.

Guys,
I have an Asus PB328Q 32 which is the same AMVA panel as the OMEN.
I just bought an OMEN now, and will receive it today.
On the Asus FPS games are buttery smooth @ 75hz with a 1070.
I do not understand why the OMEN should skip frames at 75hz, this makes no sense. Possibly try 74hz? Anyone tried this?
Also on default, it should not skip at 75...something is not right.
On all the Korean monitors with free sync (I have tried them all), Freesync actually helps Nvidia cards to reduce lag somewhat.
The colors on the ASUS are fantastic that is why I ordered the Omen.
Let's keep testing I'm sure there's a work around.

can someone post a picture of there osd info screen at 2560x1440 @ 75hz?

mine at those settings just list horizontal and vertical frequencies.

5OIikxICQ2tREIcCUfFKsb8AxpDzZBZr1UUsB65Tbebfx-wih3wE1EtlCqQlV9YfY_f2Y8kJpVMMjQxXKpwOjCVKiiIDbZQEOgbyhmi3kgo4pf5BAFvYYheTMyJEWs5MUIcILiFNNxhMXtGoEBW0o2WS9KWTYxp0NJEwxraE4g6q6pCevw2qBC3CKKpqyOpeSLm55tFspcB21DqV43MyMaHTSbT2jXomLKRGchRRqp8YvHPr7f0sa8-W6JxrhKe-atyJijj9yCOxd2AkaNPZS5HJCM4RNa86KBBkuGGMwjHDKC_Ro-rUdRasSR0fjQXl0Hvh4xm-lRGhyGKe7XtQDg13iQjTX7D4kvMDwKUCpzRRcbSexhH0DkZMTC6qSyG6BMENRWJB9TLy7fXkbPPHFV485q_T3SdFJOZHFVQOwzTBaI7gqclSxIpdpV9x22Ej9_sVkNosswrHH0YeQQfOOiCnpgV1vM5pe8FCZxQqvv5I3Cl_WpPsbgwUgIA1H71EUHPW_f7LIL167CNtGpVhGGb9C-XOog93jrj9lSBXgfbojKiHU6NIgX-YjS5vrv6t81QSgHAZ-lQVkLTOrI9J4_97WxZF1yJfNPJcpgjv8Ct31v_q=w833-h1110-no

Guys,
I have an Asus PB328Q 32 which is the same AMVA panel as the OMEN.
I just bought an OMEN now, and will receive it today.
On the Asus FPS games are buttery smooth @ 75hz with a 1070.
I do not understand why the OMEN should skip frames at 75hz, this makes no sense. Possibly try 74hz? Anyone tried this?
Also on default, it should not skip at 75...something is not right.
On all the Korean monitors with free sync (I have tried them all), Freesync actually helps Nvidia cards to reduce lag somewhat.
The colors on the ASUS are fantastic that is why I ordered the Omen.
Let's keep testing I'm sure there's a work around.

I tried 74Hz last night and still skipped frames on my 980ti.

ummm
I will try today with a 1070. Have you tried changing to faster, fastest, etc? Still no difference?

have you guys tried with freesync both on and off? Or can't you turn it off on this monitor?

I just tried setting this up against the ASUS PB328Q, which has exceptional color. The omen is pretty close, but missing a little saturation that I cannot give, since there is no saturation control.
Whites are whiter on the Asus, blacks are similar on both. A good indicator of black levels is to see how orange colors look.
Take a look at this video
Notice how nice and orange the skiers jacket looks. This orange color is much more yellow on ALL IPS monitors, since they have inferior black levels, and much deeper orange on the ASUS and Omen, which both Kill IPS blacks.
I have these settings for now:
Brightness 90
Contrast 87
Color control : neutral

I did notice both the Omen and the Asus drop to 8 bit color at 75hz. I have them both set to full RGB.

I know the Asus does not skip frames @ 75, so now I'm gonna pull the DSLR OUT

skips frames in all modes, regardless of freesync on or off...took about 20 pics in all possible modes...it skips on 75hz.
Nor sure in practice if there will be a difference in gaming or not.

skip.jpg

Both Asus and Omen are smooth as butter in Doom @75hz.
Basically, for the price the omen at $299 is possibly the best gaming monitor for the price.

Well I did custom profiles in the NVIDIA control panel, I can get it up to a whopping 61Hz, after that it start frame skipping.

Tried multiple settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel 3D settings, nothing helped.
- Maximum Rendered Frames - 1 = skipping
- Triple Buffering - On = skipping
- Verticle Sync - All settings = skipping

japilla1 I would like to see photo evidence of the ASUS not frame skipping at 75Hz. For me I like the better saturation you posted and if I can get no skipping at 75Hz, I may be willing to pay the extra cash.

I guarantee you that it does not skip frames at 75hz. A while back I posted many pictures in overclockers.net. Of course i can take new ones too.
BTW, my job is working all day in photo shop correcting color of luxury bags, so you can well imagine how important color is to me. I have a studio here, where the only thing I photograph are bags..
The rest of time I play FPS games. Been playing since Doom/Qake 1, 1997.
In the past 8 weeks I have seen quite a few monitors come and go. The Asus is the only one that has not been sold or returned. If you read Tom's hardware review, they glorify this monitor, and it's all true.
You may think I am crazy, but tomorrow another animal is arriving. I bought a Sony X800D 43". I have never, ever, thought of using a TV with a pc, and I really want to try.
I really want to see what input lag feels like, and I want to compare the triluminous display with the Asus.
If Money were no object I would buy the Sony Z9, which fulminates any other TV or monitor on the market. I think the picture is even better than OLED.

I guarantee you that it does not skip frames at 75hz. A while back I posted many pictures in overclockers.net. Of course i can take new ones too.
BTW, my job is working all day in photo shop correcting color of luxury bags, so you can well imagine how important color is to me. I have a studio here, where the only thing I photograph are bags..
The rest of time I play FPS games. Been playing since Doom/Qake 1, 1997.
In the past 8 weeks I have seen quite a few monitors come and go. The Asus is the only one that has not been sold or returned. If you read Tom's hardware review, they glorify this monitor, and it's all true.
You may think I am crazy, but tomorrow another animal is arriving. I bought a Sony X800D 43". I have never, ever, thought of using a TV with a pc, and I really want to try.
I really want to see what input lag feels like, and I want to compare the triluminous display with the Asus.
If Money were no object I would buy the Sony Z9, which fulminates any other TV or monitor on the market. I think the picture is even better than OLED.
Can't agree with you there.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Actually, I will need a few days with this monitor.
I have just noticed it has pretty bad color shift if you move your head to the right and left.
You really need to face this monitor head on...

Actually, I will need a few days with this monitor.
I have just noticed it has pretty bad color shift if you move your head to the right and left.
You really need to face this monitor head on...
I don't have that issue at all on mine. I wonder if they are using multiple different panels in these.

Every one on here thats talking about frame skipping is using nvidia,

but mine is skipping with a amd hd7770 :(

1)Are you using display port?
2)Does that old hd7770 have freesync? (If not it would behave just like nvidia)

Confirmed. Your hd7770 does not support free sync. So yes it would act like an nvidia card. Looks like you need an AMD 2xx or newer card for freesync.

http://shop.amd.com/en-in/promo?k=freesyncgpu&promo=fsgpu

Either run it at 60hz, or upgrade your video card. You could buy a card like the AMD 285 or 380 for probably about $100 in the for sale thread or on ebay.

Another reference

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/219

Confirmed. Your hd7770 does not support free sync. So yes it would act like an nvidia card. Looks like you need an AMD 2xx or newer card for freesync.

http://shop.amd.com/en-in/promo?k=freesyncgpu&promo=fsgpu

Either run it at 60hz, or upgrade your video card. You could buy a card like the AMD 285 or 380 for probably about $100 in the for sale thread or on ebay.

Another reference

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/219

shew thats a relief I was thinking it had something to do with my card not having freesync.

I plan on upgrading here soon to what ever comes out next vega or dual Polaris.

besides the frame skipping it looks fantastic hella nice upgrade for the money over my 7 year old acer 24" 1920x1200 monitor

Anyone has any experience with both the Omen and the Dell U2717D? I'm getting both monitors for $300 each but not sure if I should instead just get 2 U2717D's or 2 Omens. Is one better than the other?

I did some color correcting late last night. I want to take back what I said about the colors being close to the Asus 32". They are not nearly as good, and the fact that you cannot adjust RGB makes this monitor inadequate for color correcting.
With or without freesync turned on this monitor should not skip frames at 75hz.

What settings are you using? Fastest?

Another point:
Anyone who tells you that 27" 1440p is the sweet spot, is because they have never tried a 32" @1440p. The 32 is so much more immersive in games, and is perfect in windows without scaling.

The only way to keep adequate color is to have it on 60hz text or photo, 10bit RGB full.
At 75hz it switches to medium color output, and I can see banding

Got mine today. Now I remember why I returned the original launch one I bought way back. This things a blurry mess in games.

Anyway, for those interested. I've managed to get it up to 90hz with Freesync intact using CRU. If you try and do this without changing/matching the h.rate (134-134 for 90hz), the monitors firmware will force you back down to 60/75hz. It passes the frame skip test and works fine. Those of you skipping frames with Nvidia make sure you set the monitor to Freesync mode so that the default 75hz profile is available.

I'm going to try and push up to 100hz before I decide to return it.

EDIT: 100hz works fine without frame skipping as well. I wonder if it will go higher.

EDIT 2: Looks like there is a point where the monitor begins to lose bit depth or something. 110hz works great but there is some loss in clarity. I'm going to try and find the sweet spot which I think is 95hz.

EDIT 3: Yeah 95hz it is. Any higher and stuff gets fuzzy and colors show banding. Shame because the damn monitor does 120hz no problem.

With my 980ti and Fresync on it still skips at 75Hz.

Yeah this is a pretty poor quality panel. Blacks are really grey for a VA and the higher your refresh rate goes the lower the color quality. I actually think my big ass VA TV is way clearer in motion and it's not far off when it comes to input lag.

I think it's a pretty good bargain @ $299 for what you get but for anyone spoiled by other monitors/TV's it's not that impressive. Gonna return mine.
Man I think there must be some quality control problems on these panels or something for people to have so disparate opinions. My blacks on the monitor are better than my Dell 3014 and way better than the Acer xz350cu. I have no bleed as I showed in my YouTube video. Colors with just the brightness lowered a bit and otherwise default settings are a hair less impressive to my untrained eye than my professionally calibrated Dell 3014 in Adobe RGB mode. I do pick up a wee bit more motion blur than the Dell 3014, but it's fully acceptable and even preferable because of 75hz and freesync functionality over the Dell 3014. I'll unborn hook up my new two tonight and try to eyeball some comparison. See if they are as good as my first unit. My first one I purchased directly from HP. These next two came from Amazon.

We should start checking the build date of our monitors and comparing. Maybe there is a particular batch that have bad panels or something. Mine shows it was built on August 2016. So far I don't have complains but maybe I don't know what to look for :)

Is this a "flicker free" monitor? I can't find any info about this and I chat with HP support and they don't know also.

I ran the gray test on my monitor to check for color banding, nothing I could see would indicate any issue.

This monitor does have pwm. not "flicker free"

I ran the PMW Flickering test on BlurBusters and got one single line to appear. It might not be flicker free but I didn't get any flickering when i ran the test at 50 percent brightness. I can try other brightness settings and see if it changes anything.

I ran the PMW Flickering test on BlurBusters and got one single line to appear. It might not be flicker free but I didn't get any flickering when i ran the test at 50 percent brightness. I can try other brightness settings and see if it changes anything.
Yes I read it is not there or its very hard to notice.

I don't notice it at all on mine, but I generally don't notice on monitors other people say flixker.

Back