HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, VA panel

Had mine for about a week now. Really happy with it. Glad I bought it for sure. It looks gorgeous.

Has anyone confirmed if this actually supports Freesync LFC tech?

I asked AMD and received a response indicating that it was an erroneous listing on the website and was submitted for a fix. Also, HP doesn't advertise LFC (though to be fair, most monitors with LFC don't advertise it). Also, per AMD's official specs it should not support LFC. It would need a maximum refresh rate of 120hz for that to work.

Your best bet is to assume no LFC until proven otherwise. However, this isn't a big deal that most would make it seem. The range is 48-75hz. If you're targeting 75fps with your settings, you should RARELY dip below 48.

I've asked AMD twice about LFC and got no response either time.

So would people recommend this monitor at full price for office use and general gaming? I usually do fps like doom at a for fun level. I have a furyx

So would people recommend this monitor at full price for office use and general gaming? I usually do fps like doom at a for fun level. I have a furyx
Yes

It's a great looking monitor and performing at ~$450 MSRP price. I'd buy it again at that price if I had missed the original deal and feel comfortable with the monitor. In my opinion it's a good monitor at any price. I liked it better than the Acer xz350cu and the Dell 3014 I had.

Review and comparison here:

Last edited:
Archaea I need your help if you don't mind. I just received mine today and put it together. (Looks great btw) I set the monitor to 75hz and it seems that the desktop is quite jittery like its skipping frames.

6800k with GTX 1080 running through displayport with the included DP cable.

EDIT: Booted up my AMD rig and enabled gaming mode, boom, smooth as butter. Put this back on the GTX 1080 and remained in gaming mode and problem still persists. Bummer, seems like 75hz is AMD GPUs only.

Also getting some weird vertical light spots noticeable in this forum on the gray parts especially. I think this monitor.

Last edited:
my AMD rig and enabled gaming mode, boom, smooth as butter

I don't think free sync should be broken on Nvidia cards. I have a Acer ZX350CU that a friend is borrowing right now. It's a freesync monitor - and he has a 1070 card. He can still use 144hz and it works fine.
If I turn off free sync I can still use 75hz on the desktop with the HP Omen 32" (though yes my card is an AMD Fury X card --- but I can still turn freesync on and off).

I'm not sure what to tell you - I don't have an NVidia card right now to test - if that's really a problem I expect you should be able to find more info on it around the internet/forums and such. If you take it out of gaming mode on the NVidia card does it still skip frames? Do you have a second cable to test? Maybe try a different port on the Nvidia card. You are using windows 7, 8 or 10 I assume? You changed the refresh rate in windows under advanced display adapter?

-----------
FWIW - I'm really pleased with this monitor. I sold off my Dell 3014, and was worried I might regret it because the Dell 3014 was a smidge better quality picture while the Omen was a smidge better smoothness with freesync (and no frame tearing). I don't regret my decision so far! The quality on this is like 9.7 out of 10 if the Dell was 10 and the slightly larger size and the smoothness of freesync make up for other.

Tried second cable, tried HDMI. Seems to be a firmware issue with this monitor and has some kind of compatibility issue with Nvidia and 75hz.

Are you getting vertical light spots on your grays especially noticeable on this forum?

Tried second cable, tried HDMI. Seems to be a firmware issue with this monitor and has some kind of compatibility issue with Nvidia and 75hz.

Are you getting vertical light spots on your grays especially noticeable on this forum?
none whatsoever....sounds like you might have a faulty monitor?
Do you get those artifacts on your AMD card?

I've now used the monitor for 50 hours + and I've not seen any artifacts on anything. It's a great looking display on the Fury X card. I would have thought it'd be an identical quality display on any Nvidia card.

I think I am going to reach out to HP to inquire about a replacement. I'll sell my GTX 1080 and get a Fury X if I have to then buy a GTX 1060 for the backup rig for VR.

Hello i finally got confirmation mail today was waiting almost a week for it

i wanted to ask owners of "HP Omen 32" few questions

1. How much can it overclock with "Custom Resolution Utility" and when overclocked to for example 80 or 90 Hz does FreeSync still work in that range ?
( if you don't know how to use this tool "Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)" i might make a video guide
it is safe my monitor my brothers my sisters my uncles and few of my friends are all working overclocked for around 2 years YOU MIGHT EXPERIENCE ARTIFACTS IF YOU OVERCLOCK TO MUCH BUT NOT TO WORRY all you have to do is use reset in CRU utility )

2. I seen many VA 32" 1440p panels like "Samsung S32D850T" "Asus PB328Q" "BenQ BL3200PT" "Acer B326HUL" they all have 8Bit+ FRC aka 1 billion colors so does "HP Omen 32" also have 8Bit+ FRC or not ?

3. Does "HP Omen 32" have flickering issues like "Samsung S32D850T" "Asus PB328Q" "BenQ BL3200PT" "Acer B326HUL"

here are some video examples of flickering problems on these monitors in games and applications
"" ""
"" ""

4. How much is the INPUT LAG ? ( NOT THE PIXEL RESPONSE ) for those who don't know the difference
( if you have high speed camera this is how you test input lag "" )

5. Is power supply internal or external ? ( does it have a power brick like lap top or it's just a power cord that plugs directly in monitor )

6. What does this mean ( Response Time 5 ms on/off ) this > on/off < part confuses me

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Answers in Red

1. How much can it overclock with "Custom Resolution Utility" and when overclocked to for example 80 or 90 Hz does FreeSync still work in that range ?
Don't care, not testing this with my monitor for fear of damaging something. It works great as it is, and I couldn't tell the difference between 75hz and 144hz in my recent testing, so I'm not going to be able to tell the difference between 75Hz and whatever minimal overclock I can achieve --- so it's not worth the hassle. I try to only overclock things that significantly matter. (for example - CPU yes, memory no) --- it's not worth the potential for headaches or one off issues otherwise. Maybe somebody else who can tell the difference will test for you.

2. I seen many VA 32" 1440p panels like "Samsung S32D850T" "Asus PB328Q" "BenQ BL3200PT" "Acer B326HUL" they all have 8Bit+ FRC aka 1 billion colors so does "HP Omen 32" also have 8Bit+ FRC or not ?
How can I tell? It's 8 bit color I think, not 10 bit color like the Dell 3014. --- at least my option for 10 bit color went away when I hooked this up instead of the Dell 3014. In my reading most people say don't use 10 bit anyway.

3. Does "HP Omen 32" have flickering issues like "Samsung S32D850T" "Asus PB328Q" "BenQ BL3200PT" "Acer B326HUL"
No way, that's terrible in those videos --- I have nothing like that on any monitor I've ever used. That looks like some sort of out of control dynamic contrast. I put a 12 minute review of this monitor up on youtube, and there is no evidence, even on a 60FPS camera that the Omen does that. That type of flickering is wholly unacceptable.

4. How much is the INPUT LAG ? ( NOT THE PIXEL RESPONSE ) for those who don't know the difference
I don't know, but I can't feel any input lag difference between the Dell3014, the HP Omen, and the Acer XZ350CU which I just compared in a three way shootout. I'm not a extreme twich gamer though. I'm not competitive with the top dogs in FPS games online - I typically end mid-pack, but at LAN parties I usually am top or at least top 3 with my group of about 10 friends or so -- so I'm not terrible either. I say that to say I notice no input lag.

5. Is power supply internal or external ? ( does it have a power brick like lap top or it's just a power cord that plugs directly in monitor )
External - it's a relatively small HP power brick.

6. What does this mean ( Response Time 5 ms on/off ) this > on/off < part confuses me
gray to gray or on to off - those are two of the ways of measuring pixels. HPs not one to inflate specs. It has a good pixel response time. I thought it had a visibly better pixel response than the 144Hz Acer xz350cu in subjective gaming use.

Last edited:
Blargh, received a response from HP Canada re: Canadian availability for the HP Omen 32":

"Hello,

Unfortunately we do not sell that item in Canada. We do not have a time frame to give you of when we might possibly sell it.

Dawn K.
HP Shopping Canada"

Earlier in the month I was told by a HP rep over the phone to expect availability in Canada by the end of the month. I was considering looking at other available 32" monitors (really want that size combined with 1440p), but haven't really found anything comparable to the Omen. I might just have to be patient and wait until next time I can make it to the US.

Questions Comments in Green/Yellow

Don't care, not testing this with my monitor for fear of damaging something. It works great as it is, and I couldn't tell the difference between 75hz and 144hz in my recent testing, so I'm not going to be able to tell the difference between 75Hz and whatever minimal overclock I can achieve --- so it's not worth the hassle. I try to only overclock things that significantly matter. (for example - CPU yes, memory no) --- it's not worth the potential for headaches or one off issues otherwise. Maybe somebody else who can tell the difference will test for you.

ok i understand that

it's NOT about if you can see/tell the difference BUT does FreeSync work after overclock ( btw i can tell the difference between 60 and 70 fps )

How can I tell? It's 8 bit color I think, not 10 bit color like the Dell 3014. --- at least my option for 10 bit color went away when I hooked this up instead of the Dell 3014. In my reading most people say don't use 10 bit anyway.

can you check manuals and other papers you got with monitor or box maybe it says somewhere how many colors or Bit it is ?

No way, that's terrible in those videos --- I have nothing like that on any monitor I've ever used. That looks like some sort of out of control dynamic contrast. I put a 12 minute review of this monitor up on youtube, and there is no evidence, even on a 60FPS camera that the Omen does that. That type of flickering is wholly unacceptable.

well you tested "Doom" and "Dirt Rally" so no problem there but IT MAY FLICKER on "Google Earth" or "ARMA" or "Dragon Age Inquisition"

External - it's a relatively small HP power brick.

can we get some picture of it and measurements also how hot does it get after whole day of use approximately

also does power brick make any whine/humming/buzzing noises may be noticeable only in a quiet room and if it makes noise does it stop when monitor is on standby or turned off

Last edited:
The brick does not hum (mind doesn't anyway). I can get a picture of it. It's down by my feet, and I've never noticed any kind of heat coming off of it, but I haven't looked out for it either.

I've played a lot more games than those 2 games - I've played probably a dozen games + out of my steam library. I haven't seen any flickering on anything. I don't own Arma, or Dragon Age. I can install Google Earth and test - but if it's only those three titles that make flickering then it's hardly the monitors fault if nothing else exhibits flickering.

Looks like the HP specs say 1.07 Billion colors with FRC
OMEN by HP 32 32-inch Display - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

I've played a lot more games than those 2 games - I've played probably a dozen games + out of my steam library. I haven't seen any flickering on anything. I don't own Arma, or Dragon Age. I can install Google Earth and test - but if it's only those three titles that make flickering then it's hardly the monitors fault if nothing else exhibits flickering.

Try zooming a bit on this image and slowly moving it across the screen, it makes my TN monitor flicker (not as bad as in the video).

http://i.imgur.com/uDjUztE.jpg

If anyone can lower their contrast and put on a gray screen, this is what I see. Its noticeable when you adjust contrast though. Not as noticeable on the other colors but very noticeable on Hardforum.

Archaea , didn't know if you saw this yet or not.

Last edited:
The only thing keeping me from purchasing this monitor is the fact it's 75hz, if someone can test whether you can overclock this to at least 90-96hz via custom profile in the nvidia settings it would be great. It's highly possible that it may reach it, you won't damage your monitor in any way doing this, there's always a fail safe and you can revert back if you notice any artifacts.

Just got mine. So far looks great but having a little issue adjusting to the size. I am coming from a 27" and did not think the difference would be this noticeable.

BTW the hard forum colors at this size seem to mess with my eyes, but I don't have the lines in the grey areas.

If anyone can lower their contrast and put on a gray screen, this is what I see. Its noticeable when you adjust contrast though. Not as noticeable on the other colors but very noticeable on Hardforum.

Oh oh, that looks familiar!
sSjywi0.jpg
This is one of my BenQ BL3200s, same panel as the Omen. Looks like AUO are having quality control issues again.

(I sent this picture to BenQ and they replied that the panel uniformity is within specification and refused an RMA...)

where do you get that greay screen from? is it a jpg or a web site for monitor testing?

Edit: found a grey screen online. This is with contrast all the way down.
IMG_20160930_231335.jpg

xNhshmOgK9eBU3hb5sutrnFvrxtPU778xQYnDpPk8ur

Last edited:
I just did It in paint. Its not normal, its very glaring in gaming too. HP is sending a replacement.

Oh oh, that looks familiar!
sSjywi0.jpg
This is one of my BenQ BL3200s, same panel as the Omen. Looks like AUO are having quality control issues again.

(I sent this picture to BenQ and they replied that the panel uniformity is within specification and refused an RMA...)

Yep that's exactly the issue I am having. Crossing my fingers I get a good one. Not holding my breath.,

I thought you were going to say that. I'll call HP Monday and see about an exchange.

So I bought mine. Its supposed to get here on the 18th. Just wondering a couple things for you guys who have yours already. When you have freesync on do you also have v-sync on? Do you still set a frame limit in crimson? Also my current setup is a Hitachi 32" TN 1080p @60Hz and I currently get micro stutters and have almost always seen that with other AMD cards on the same screen. Should I expect that to go away when moving to this monitor? I don't expect to get an answer to that last question, but someone might know from there own experience. Thanks in the mean time.

Damn... I kind of wanted to get the CF791 ultrawide when it releases, but if a deal pops up fro this at 350 or so it's literally 1/3 the price and probably 3/4 the monitor... With 980Ti's hitting sub 300 dollar prices and probably a blackfriday or cyber monday deal on this thing i could get a monitor and card for like 600 bucks...

Any ghosting issues with this monitor?

I am so very confused at why this screen has not gotten more exposure. Not that anyone of the specs stands out from the crowed or anything. Its that all the specs combined along with the price tag makes it.....Amazing?o_O

Well the size is appealing as well as the panel but 75hz to me is negligible to 60hz which is why it would help if someone with the monitor tried to overclock this to atleast 90+hz via nvidia panel to see if it works.

Received my replacement. Its just like the one I have here. Same light bars but my bezel is actually damaged on the replacement.. Yep, that's going back to HP.

My 3rd monitor has no light banding issues or damage. It now has a magenta colored vertical line through the screen. I called my HP rep on this one since it seems that the recertified units they are sending me are absolutely garbage. I wish I would have kept my original monitor and dealt with the banding issue.

My 3rd monitor has no light banding issues or damage. It now has a magenta colored vertical line through the screen. I called my HP rep on this one since it seems that the recertified units they are sending me are absolutely garbage. I wish I would have kept my original monitor and dealt with the banding issue.

Damn Rvenger, you can't catch a break :( ...

This is the reason I didn't order a Crossover 32SS (100Hz capable, probably same VA panel, good pixel response and input lag measurements). I was worried about the QC. I suppose at least here HP is responsive, but damn...

I told HP to stuff it and I kept the one with the damaged bezel since the picture is good.

Damn Rvenger, you can't catch a break :( ...

This is the reason I didn't order a Crossover 32SS (100Hz capable, probably same VA panel, good pixel response and input lag measurements). I was worried about the QC. I suppose at least here HP is responsive, but damn...

Well, I think I just caught a break. I told HP I am not giving back the monitor with the damaged bezel until I get a good replacement so they escalated my case and a case manager called me. He apologized and offered to send another replacement and I told him that I am done with these reconditioned monitors and that you guys have too many QC issues. He told me that he would give me a gift card if the next replacement didn't work. I asked him if I can keep the monitor with the damaged bezel and get a smaller gift card in return. He said he will send me a $250 gift card to spend on HP web store and I still get to keep my warranty.

At least this monitor with the damaged bezel has a good panel and with the gift card and the holidays coming up, sounds like a good deal to me. I can live with the blemish since this display is essentially deeply discounted now.

Back