HP NC6120 Has problems with sysprep

Grimmda

2[H]4U
djnes where are you with your 6220 for comparison for me!?

I've submitted a case with HP support that is going to be escalated to 3rd level. Here's the location of my "worklog" on the HP Message Forums:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=961337

(Feel free to speak up if you have an NC6120 and use sysprep. Or even a NC6220 and could tell me if it shows two display adapters, because I think that's where my problem lies)

Here's my latest findings:

I've been creating images (Well just one actually) with all sorts of PC's ranging from Dell/Gateway and our latest HP's.

n620c's, nc6000's all work in the image without issue.

Until the NC6120 came along. Everything but the Video driver will install when I sysprep the image and try it on a NC6120.

I can map a drive out to where I keep my sysprep stored (which is the SAME files I copy to the laptop when I run sysprep on it) and I can point it to the video folder and hey look it installs then!

But not automatically when it's going through the setup.

I can provide any information to help resolve the issue and I'll start by showing my OemPnPDriversPath:

OemPnPDriversPath=sysprep\Audio\ADISoundmax;sysprep\Audio\ESSAllegro;s
ysprep\MediaCardReader\HPMediaCardReader;sysprep\Modem\AgereSoftMod
emForICH6Chipset;sysprep\Network\Broadcom;sysprep\Video\Intel915GM;sysp
rep\WLAN\Intel915GM

I'm building a new image and really only have drivers listed for the 6120 since it is my "trouble" child so that's all I have in my sysprep.inf in regards to drivers.

Just an update of my troubleshooting:

I thought that maybe the files under sysprep\ would get removed (when it thinks it's done loading things). So I put the same drivers from sysprep\Video\Intel915GM into c:\drivertemp\Intel915GM and defined that path as well in my OemPnPDriversPath and it still didn't take.

Well during my testing the 6120 locked up during the setup so I turned it off. Upon turning it back on it looked like the video drivers were installed and when it completed they had installed. But only after a reboot in the middle of the setup process!

This is very annoying.

UPDATE:

I attempted to use the latest video drivers from Intel that would be supported by the NC6120 Chipset and apply an image with those drivers and it still didn't accept and install them during the setup process.

I believe the problem revolves around the fact that the nc6120 has 2 SEPERATE DEVICES. listed in device manager that display the same thing:

Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

They only differ by their location:
first one: Location: PCI Bus 0, device 2, function 0
second one: Location PCI bus 0, device 2, function 1

When sysprep is performing the setup it only installs one of the devices and not the other. The second one will display with a yellow exclamation point and say "Display Adapter"

I then created a new image on the NC6120. First I installed an image, that failed to update the video drivers from sysprep. So I manually updated the video drivers from Intel for the 915 chipset family. THEN I ran my sysprep and captured that image. I rebooted and let the setup run on the NC6120 and it accepted the video drivers.

This is probably based on the fact that I've updated the system drivers for video on the nc6120. I believe this shouldn't work though considering that sysprep should be stripping the device drivers for this type but is updating the core intel video drivers it stores under %windir%\system32 or \system32\drivers or maybe \inf.

I'm attempting to apply this image to a DC5100 desktop and continue building and updating this image to other PC's that use Intel video chipsets as well as ATI video chipsets.

I've since created an incident with HP regarding this issue and it was escalated to 3rd level support with basically the same information here. The case number is:
3212423090 Incase anyone is interested or can help from HP.

I've got two display adapters listed for my nc6220. I'll post a screenshot if needed. Let me know if you need any other info.

devman.jpg

Glad to see you got it! (your 6120 that is)

So the question is have you sysprep'ed it yet?

I was taught "not to install the specific drivers" when you're building an image. So technically if you built an image of the current config you have the 6220 on it will work to apply it back on the 6220 because the drivers are there.

But if you built the image on another box, and included the proper video drivers for the 6220 and then try and apply that image to it, the second display adapter won't properly install the video drivers.

That is basically my issue. Just wanted to bring some of my issues with sysprep over to the [H] for documentation here.

I did sysprep it with my basic image, just to play around with it over the weekend, before loading our corporate image on it. My image worked fine, but like you said, I wait to load the drivers until after the image is laid down on the machine. I thought I read somewhere that the mobile drivers for the Intel video are different than the desktop ones, but I'm not sure.

I will say the nc6220 is fast as hell. It's very light, very thin, doesn't get hot on the bottom, and I am getting nearly 4.5 hours of battery life with the default basic battery.

Back