HP NC382T NIC in home server

jardows

2[H]4U
I've been looking at some of the pulled Server NIC's online, dual port gigabit, PCIe x4. I have read that the Intel Pro/1000's only work with PCIe 1.0, and do not work with more modern systems using 2.0 or 3.0. I do see the HP NC382T, which uses the Broadcom 5709 chip, available for quite inexpensive. Does anyone know if these will work in building a home server?

From reading around it looks like Intel Pro/1000s that have a bus interface of PCI Express 1.0a or better should work fine with newer motherboards.

It looks like only the PCI Express 1.0 cards can have compatibility issues. There's an Intel tech notice about it somewhere that has the details, can't find the link now...

Full height Intel cards are the ones with compatibility issues, low profile ones appear to be good. Maybe someone else can confirm.

If you will be using the "graphics" x16 PCIe slot on a consumer mobo with any enterprise x4/x8/x16 PCIe card, be it networking or RAID or whatever, confirm it will be recognized. Some mobos don't like it.

Did some more research, and the Broadcom 5709 lists PCIe 2.0 as a specification, and the motherboard I am looking at (Asus AM1M-A) specifically mentions network cards as an option for the x16 slot, so I should be good to go! Thanks!

Back