HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

I've been through 3 of these. Every one had the green/red tint issue. It finally got escalated and here's what happened:

I sent the escalation team pictures of the tinting, along with many links to threads like these with people experiencing the same thing. Then he called me back, said he had spoken with the engineering team. They said this was a known issue and then referred me to the refunds department.

Looks like my hunt for a good 24" continues. Dell 2408WFP and HP 2475W are out.

To those of you who play 'FPS' games (fast action)...

Do you feel the HP LP2475w is 'fast' enough?

Super fast, as fast or faster than any LCD I have used, faster than my 20WMGX2 in pixel response.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php

The center of all the boxes are the same color as the perimiters with very little flicker, the NEC was mostly light pink in the darker shades (toward the top). The 2475w is awesome for games, really.

I should be receiving one of these today. Is there a step-by-step anywhere that I should try to calibrate the monitor, and maybe a problems list to check for? I've read much of this thread when I was making my buying decision, but really my head starts to spin after a few pages. I know there are a few known problems, but it's hard to differential a known, regular problem with a some of the more rare problems.

And when I'm calibrating the color, should I just just the calibration on the monitor itself? If I use the calibration via SW within Win7, it won't really carry over to games, will it?

Thanks!

I've been through 3 of these. Every one had the green/red tint issue. It finally got escalated and here's what happened:

I sent the escalation team pictures of the tinting, along with many links to threads like these with people experiencing the same thing. Then he called me back, said he had spoken with the engineering team. They said this was a known issue and then referred me to the refunds department.

Looks like my hunt for a good 24" continues. Dell 2408WFP and HP 2475W are out.

Good luck then. You're never going to find the perfect LCD, especially in this price range. Every single model has some sort of issue. And the green/red issue is only noticeable in fullscreen white (albeit barely). If you have any undoctored pics of this issue in normal source material I'd be interested in seeing them.

To those of you who play 'FPS' games (fast action)...

Do you feel the HP LP2475w is 'fast' enough?

I play nothing but FPS shooters. The lag on this monitor is quite acceptable. After I got the monitor in January I did a side-by-side frame lag test against my CRT monitor using the camera method. Most of the pics showed 1 frame (16.67 ms) of lag. Every once in a while there would be 2 frames of lag (33.33 ms) but these were not that frequent, maybe 5%-10% of the pictures. There were some pictures that showed 0 frames of lag (<16.67 ms). So based on my testing it appears the lag is somewhere in the 20's.

HenryBravo...

So, if you were buying a monitor today, would you still get that same HP 2475w, or something else that's out there?

I think fast FPS shooters would benefit more from 120Hz monitors like Samsung 2233rz. Faster, no input lag and more fluid and accurate movement of fast objects thanks to 120Hz refresh rate. Downside is that they are all TN so far, so bad viewing angles and horrid gamma stability vertically.

Good luck then. You're never going to find the perfect LCD, especially in this price range. Every single model has some sort of issue. And the green/red issue is only noticeable in fullscreen white (albeit barely). If you have any undoctored pics of this issue in normal source material I'd be interested in seeing them.

Sure, here's what I sent HP.

http://empyrean-dawn.com/hp2475w/1.JPG
http://empyrean-dawn.com/hp2475w/2.JPG
http://empyrean-dawn.com/hp2475w/3.JPG
http://empyrean-dawn.com/hp2475w/4.JPG
http://empyrean-dawn.com/hp2475w/5.JPG
http://empyrean-dawn.com/hp2475w/6.JPG

I think my own monitor has a slight issue like that, not noticable enough for me to want to try another one, of course I could just imagine it.

Yeah that's what I thought. The red/green issue is very subtle and only noticeable on white screens. You, my friend, are very picky.

To be fair, regardless of a product's price, I too expect it to work perfectly, as advertised. If a color shift is a regular thing, then it should have a spec assigned to it.

That is pretty severe shift in those pics, I probably would have returned mine if it was like that.

To be fair, regardless of a product's price, I too expect it to work perfectly, as advertised. If a color shift is a regular thing, then it should have a spec assigned to it.
All LCD suffer from brightness and color temperature variations accross the screen. I just got my - very expensive - HP DreamColor LP2480zx replaced becaused of that.

But I agree, manufacturers could specify a tolerancy (brightness +/-XX%, color temp' +/-XXXK).

Color non-uniformity like that, to me, is extremely noticeable and I could never live with it. A large portion of browsing websites and other work is done on a white background. I returned a 2209WA with similar issue, because it was very bothersome and distracting every time I used it. To call this being picky is ridiculous. I have seen many, many large TN panels that cost half the price with no noticeable variation on a white screen. Perfection is not possible nor expected, but noticeable variation during normal use is completely unacceptable on ANY LCD display, because it is certainly possible to build one without it, even at cheaper price points.

OK I will concede and replace my term "picky" with "discerning". Yes the whole LCD market is about trade-offs. While the white color variation on TN panels may be minimal across the screen, the whites on TN's can look "dirty" and "splotchy". Personally I will take a very slight red to green shift instead of dirty white, but I'm sure some would prefer the opposite. BTW the color shift on my 2475 is almost impossible to notice on fullscreen white, maybe I'm running a better color profile or something. Another thing I don't like about larger TN's is the viewing angle issue even when viewing the screen head on. The larger the screen, the more viewing angle exists between your eyes and the edges of the screen. Since the viewing angle is so poor on TN's, darker/lighter details will appear/disappear on the outer portions of the screen and colors will become lighter or darker accordingly, depending on where your head is positioned. On < 22" screens this isn't really that big of a deal. But on 24"+ screens the viewing angle issue starts to become more of a problem even when you're sitting directly in front of the monitor. So I guess you have to decide what you can live with and what you can't.

Last edited:
Yes I would buy the HP again.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, whether the HP 'LP2475w' will be 'slower' than the Dell 20" '2001FP' monitor that I have now...

Tough to find specs on an older Dell that is no longer in production...

Heres a shot in the dark,

Does anyone here play Call Of Duty on this monitor? I'm getting some hardcore banding showing whilst browsing the menu of that game.

Since the original cable didn't work I had use an old one, but I just received my new one and still experience clear banding issues.
The monitor registers banding fine on the lagom.nl test and in general whilst watching movies, working with graphics etc.

But in that specific game it really shows clear bands across some menu screens.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is, whether the HP 'LP2475w' will be 'slower' than the Dell 20" '2001FP' monitor that I have now...

Tough to find specs on an older Dell that is no longer in production...

It's going to be mcuh faster than your Dell. It's faster than my NEC 20WMGX2s, and they are some of the fastest ever made. You can't always go by marketing specs, a 2ms TN can be slower than a 6ms IPS depending on the colors bieng displayed.

Now it does have some input lag, but very few monitors have low lag. Your 2001FP is probably lower than most, but I can honestly say there is no noticable difference coming from one of the best ever made for games in the 20WMGX2.

Heres a shot in the dark,

Does anyone here play Call Of Duty on this monitor? I'm getting some hardcore banding showing whilst browsing the menu of that game.

Since the original cable didn't work I had use an old one, but I just received my new one and still experience clear banding issues.
The monitor registers banding fine on the lagom.nl test and in general whilst watching movies, working with graphics etc.

But in that specific game it really shows clear bands across some menu screens.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I imagine since you are not getting it every where, it's your calibration or color profile settings in windows, or just the game.

It's going to be mcuh faster than your Dell. It's faster than my NEC 20WMGX2s, and they are some of the fastest ever made. You can't always go by marketing specs, a 2ms TN can be slower than a 6ms IPS depending on the colors bieng displayed.

Now it does have some input lag, but very few monitors have low lag. Your 2001FP is probably lower than most, but I can honestly say there is no noticable difference coming from one of the best ever made for games in the 20WMGX2.

Vick1000...

How do you know that HP is 'faster' than the Dell '2001FP' 20" monitor that I now have? Did you compare 'specs'? ... because I could not find specs on my old Dell...

Thx for your help.

Hi, thought Id throw in my experience with this monitor, along side a little question.

I recived the HP LP2475W today, and after running it in several different games, applications etc I can say that im very very pleased. I don't see any tinge or colour problems at all. And no operating noise at all.

On a side note.

My first look and boot on the monitor I saw a blue stuck pixel right dead center on the screen.

I have tried to revive it, with software and by pushing gently etc. I managed to get it to dissapear, but then I rupped on the area a little more after it was gone, and it reappeared with its blueish glow.

I have now managed to get it non visable again, but I am pretty sure it will come back If I touch the area again. can anyone explain why this happens?

HP has offered me a replacement, should I take that, just in case?
I mean, the pixel seems to still be "stuck" only not visable right now.

Any help is appriciated...

Thanks and this forum is great! thumbs up from Denmark!

Vick1000...

How do you know that HP is 'faster' than the Dell '2001FP' 20" monitor that I now have? Did you compare 'specs'? ... because I could not find specs on my old Dell...

Thx for your help.

Because I am comparing it to one of the fastest LCD ever made in the 20WMGX2, and the 2001FP is eight years old, plus I have owned two 2005fwp and it's much faster than those as well.

Specs are meaningless on LCDs but here...

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2001fp/EN/specs.htm

I just took the plunge and bought one of these direct from HP. I've only had it open for a few hours, and used a user calibration from TFT Central. My original monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamondpoint NX86LCD 18.1". Here are my 2 cents early on:

-Came with any cable you should ever need for it
-Awesome amount of physical adjustment (up/down/tilt, etc.)
-Bright/Vibrant, even with the brightness turned down. maybe too much.
-I can see some of the red to green shift on white screens, but only because I was looking for it. It's not that bad to me, and I won't return it just for that.
-no dead pixels! :)

-TF2: As reported, the reds are very vibrant, and kinda hurt my eyes a bit. I will see if setting can help that, or if I can get use to it. All other colors look great.
-L4D: colors look awesome, especially the darkness.
-I noticed no lag in FPS gaming. I'm not a 'hard-core' gamer, but I game quite a bit.

I still want to play some more games on it, mainly HL2, and fallout3 (and many other games I have been putting off until I have a nice monitor). I will update if I find anything worth noting.

I honestly think my desk is too short though. It is 3' deep, and I feel like I want to push the monitor back a bit. So I think I might get one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2 Does anyone have any experience with one? The price can't be beat, and I've gotten stuff from monoprice before, with good results.

Overall, I like it, and I'm pleased. I hope this helps anyone looking into getting it.

My first look and boot on the monitor I saw a blue stuck pixel right dead center on the screen.

I have tried to revive it, with software and by pushing gently etc. I managed to get it to dissapear, but then I rupped on the area a little more after it was gone, and it reappeared with its blueish glow.

I have now managed to get it non visable again, but I am pretty sure it will come back If I touch the area again. can anyone explain why this happens?

HP has offered me a replacement, should I take that, just in case?
I mean, the pixel seems to still be "stuck" only not visable right now.

Any help is appriciated...

Thanks and this forum is great! thumbs up from Denmark!

You've got what, a three year warranty? If you like the rest of the screen, no tinting, etc, then I'd hang on to the one you have and see what happens. No guarantee that the one you get in replacement won't be worse. If the stuck pixel comes back, then get it replaced.

I just took the plunge and bought one of these direct from HP. I've only had it open for a few hours, and used a user calibration from TFT Central. My original monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamondpoint NX86LCD 18.1". Here are my 2 cents early on:

-Came with any cable you should ever need for it
-Awesome amount of physical adjustment (up/down/tilt, etc.)
-Bright/Vibrant, even with the brightness turned down. maybe too much.
-I can see some of the red to green shift on white screens, but only because I was looking for it. It's not that bad to me, and I won't return it just for that.
-no dead pixels! :)

-TF2: As reported, the reds are very vibrant, and kinda hurt my eyes a bit. I will see if setting can help that, or if I can get use to it. All other colors look great.
-L4D: colors look awesome, especially the darkness.
-I noticed no lag in FPS gaming. I'm not a 'hard-core' gamer, but I game quite a bit.

I still want to play some more games on it, mainly HL2, and fallout3 (and many other games I have been putting off until I have a nice monitor). I will update if I find anything worth noting.

I honestly think my desk is too short though. It is 3' deep, and I feel like I want to push the monitor back a bit. So I think I might get one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2 Does anyone have any experience with one? The price can't be beat, and I've gotten stuff from monoprice before, with good results.

Overall, I like it, and I'm pleased. I hope this helps anyone looking into getting it.

You are just not used to the bigger screen, going from 18" to 24" is quite a leap in area. You will get used to it, after all you paid for a larger screen, enjoy it.

Thanks for the replies regarding my "question".

It took HP 1 day to deliver me a new HP LP2475W monitor, im sitting infront of it now! :)

This one has no pixel errors at all, its also free from any colour issues and such!

perfect service from HP, outstanding.

Nelat...

Are you a 'gamer'? If you play 'FPS' games, notice any lag?

What vendor did you get it from? OnSale/MacMall had it advertised at best price recently, but when you try to access the price now at those sites, you get a nearly blank screen...

Nelat...

Are you a 'gamer'? If you play 'FPS' games, notice any lag?

What vendor did you get it from? OnSale/MacMall had it advertised at best price recently, but when you try to access the price now at those sites, you get a nearly blank screen...

I am a gamer, played L4D, CSS, Empire Total War, and a few other games has been tested out.

I used to have a BenQ FP241W with a TN panel, I dont see any difference in ghosting/lag, which basicly means, I don't notice anything like that at all on this HP monitor.
I do notice the colours though, which are very impressive, compared to my old TN panel.

Outstanding :)

There is no operating noise on my model either, which there wasn't on the original one either.

Im very pleased with this product, it has lived up to my expectations, and HP showed why you would wanna choose their product when it comes to service/garanties.

On a side note, I am from Denmark, which means I bought it from a web-shop which then hands out the service to HP themselves once the product has been bought.

how much are you guys getting this for?
what is a good deal for this screen

I paid the $569 at hp.com but I called them and they gave me free 2-day shipping (to hawaii $$$). I know I overpaid a little, but this way, I only deal with HP.

wow man I just ordered one from cost central I thought I was going to get it out the door for 504 but guess what I guess they have a warehouse in california so they just charged me tax no recycling though, I would probably get it fast in a day or two, cheapest I could find and well worth the price, I was so tired of so many monitors I have tried, they all have blurry picture and fuzzy text and they were all TN panels.

I was going to order the 2408wfp rev A02 but I will happily spend another 80 bucks on this monitor, Reviews by users were 50-50 on that monitor no matter what revision and this was probably the only monitor I found where it had 80+ satisfaction, so I didn't think twice about ordering it. couldn't even find it cheaper online.

how much are you guys getting this for?
what is a good deal for this screen

504 is the best you will find anywhere even ebay from cost central, I think they might have a thing with HP where they take the order and have HP ships it, because they have like 1350 in stock pretty high number to stock these monitors, o well I could care less, just cant wait until it gets here.

Yup, think I will be getting the HP within 3 weeks. I am hoping Dell comes out with that rumored new 24" this month though...just to compare them.

If anyone is thinking of getting this monitor still, order from Buy on Ebay. You can use bing cashback to save an additional 8% on the monitor. I received it within 3 days of ordering and its rev 153 gig 72 or something like that, manufactured june 2009. No defects that I could tell.

Also I've noticed that I can set my monitors max resolution to 2048x1536 or 1920x1440 when running it alongside my 19 inch 1280x1024 monitor. Anybody know the reason why they would allow these resolutions or what's the point of having them?

Back