HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

What the hell are you talking about. If there is something wrong with it that you are disatisfied with, call HP small business support and they will ship you a new one.

Unfortunately I live in Romania. I have to deal with the store and they don't... care. Can you help me now? :)

This damn thing has been giving me terrible headaches.

I used to get the odd eyestrain related pains with my CRT's, and I was hoping that would all be gone with this LCD. However this is not the case. The CRT headaches used to only occur after extremely long periods of use, but with this LCD it only takes half an hour before there is a dull pain behind my eyes. The pain remains long after I've finished using the display. My eyes also seem to be drying out much quicker than when I was using CRTs.

I dont know what to do. I'm quickly running out of reasons to like this monitor. :(

Update your perscription.

I used to get the odd eyestrain related pains with my CRT's, and I was hoping that would all be gone with this LCD. However this is not the case. The CRT headaches used to only occur after extremely long periods of use, but with this LCD it only takes half an hour before there is a dull pain behind my eyes. The pain remains long after I've finished using the display. My eyes also seem to be drying out much quicker than when I was using CRTs.

I dont know what to do. I'm quickly running out of reasons to like this monitor. :(

I would have some friends take a look at with some documents open and see if they think anything is wrong with after like five minutes or so. If they feel like something's wrong too, might want to RMA this monitor.

If not, try swapping it out with a diff. LCD monitor (hopefully you have another one) and use it for a week or two to see if the headaches persist. If they do, somethings probably wrong with you health-wise, if not, the HP's likely to blame.

Well I expierienced the same issues and returned it. At first I thought that I can't stand H-IPS matrix, so I bought S-PVA 24inch monitor. The new one also gave my eyestrain but not so strong as LP2475w. I'm using few TN's at my job with no problems, so I began to think where is the difference.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that all hi-tech panels like H-IPS S-PVA have a lot higher brightness level than TN's. They are too bright even at 0 brightness and whites are so intesnse that they give eyestrain. Thats why my eyestrain was not so strong in daylight.
And these effects are VERY strong on LP2475w.

I have my EIZO s2431w standing on the flour - I love that monitor but I can't use it. I don't know how to reduce backlight further than 0 brightness (don't suggest to use video card settings - they don't help much).
I'm very disappointed with LCD technology.

Vilius

Last edited:
TN LCD's usually have 300cd/m2 brightness, for comparison HP LP2475w is at 400cd/m2.

And I think that overal brightness is not so important as minimal brightness. Since TN colors are more dim anyway maybe human eye can stand more brightness on TN's.
Of course everything depends on eye sensitivity.

V

I decided to jump into this monitor after reading "expert" reviews, this thread and other consumer reviews. I come from a Dell 1905FP (Samsung VA panel) which is still in top shape and I haven't had any problems with it. I wanted to upgrade to a 24" with more screen real-estate and decided on the HP in its price bracket.

I am typing this on my 3rd screen in 5 days and this one will also be going back. I will request a refund if I cannot be guaranteed a panel with minimum issues. This current one has a couple of dead pixels plus pink/green tinging in parts of the screen. The previous panel had similar problems (same Dec 2008 date and GIG052 firmware). The first panel had dead pixels in the middle but no other problem and was the best in terms of screen uniformity (July 2008 and GIG068 firmware; a refurb).

Other observations about the panel are basically what has previously been mentioned;
1. Fugly, overly large stand, but functional.
2. Hard to get at side USB ports (hidden from front view).
3. Not much "finger-room" when trying to screw in DVI connectors.
4. Top third of panel moves back from bezel when pressed. Seems its not properly fixed. Same in all 3 panels I've had (design fault?)
5. Bottom of bezel where buttons are located is loose and moves away from the panel. One button was actually stuck in an "out" position and couldn't be pushed in when I first took it out of the box (since rectified). If I look down on the bottom of the bezel where the buttons are, I can see the metal plate that sits behind is slightly exposed.

Most of the above are not "killer" issues for me, but the integrity of the panel itself is of prime importance. I do find the brightness of the whites and reds a bit hard to get used to, but I know this is a characteristic of the technology and I was prepared to work with profiles and the controls to minimise this impact. I am impressed with the screen on the whole, but at the same time, disappointed about some things which I think let the product down. I think that maybe some shortcuts have been taken with quality control in the manufacturing process to fit a price-point. I think it's pretty fundamental that the panel shouldn't be loose within the screen, nor should there be loose points around the bezel (button controls).

The main disappointment is that this is the 3rd panel and I am still dissatisfied because of the same types of problems. I think I am probably just receiving defective panels that others have sent back and maybe HP just hopes people won't notice, or will just not bother to request an exchange. Their courier overheads must be pretty high! If quality control was better, this is a good panel for the price and I would quite happily recommend it.. however, it's a bit of a lottery as to whether or not you'll get a good one!

4. Top third of panel moves back from bezel when pressed. Seems its not properly fixed. Same in all 3 panels I've had (design fault?)

Ips panels get hot so they leave room for the panel to expand, this is why it seems loose in the casing.

Ips panels get hot so they leave room for the panel to expand, this is why it seems loose in the casing.

Oh, well if that is the case, then it makes sense that panel flexability might be required to allow for heat expansion. I didn't realise this was a characteristic of IPS versus other panels, although I did notice the heat coming from the top of the casing. One less quibble then! Thanks for pointing that out.

I've got a GIG034 F/W and GIG122 H/W panel made in China in Aug 2008... and so far so good. No dead or stuck pixels, a little bit of pink on the left, and it gets a bit greenish on the right. Certainly nothing to write about though, I'm pretty pleased except for the really saturated colors. I have got to turn that down somehow!

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I've been following this thread for a long time and just received my LP2475w. Now I'm looking for some advice.

Bought last week from Amazon:
February 2009 / China
Revision GIG133
Firmware GIG052

Unfortunately it has the green tint on left, red tint on right issue. It isn't that bad and I only really notice if I fill the screen with a solid white background. Is this still something that goes away with time? I'm only at 68 hours on the backlight so far.

The worst problem though are dead pixels. There is a small cluster of them, looks like 5, almost dead center in the screen. There are also two others a few inches over to the right.

The dead pixels I can't live with. So the advice I'm looking for is: Should I just get Amazon to exchange it for another one or should I deal with HP support for a replacement? Will it be a hassle to get HP to send me a new replacement instead of a refurb? Do I have a better change of getting a newer model (without tent issue) by going through HP since it appears Amazon has some older stock?

I appreciate any advice y'all are willing to offer. Other than these two issues the monitor looks great.

Call HP and they will ship you a replacement screen, you pack your own in the box and send it back...

Hey guys, so i just get this monitor after reading through this whole thread.... So just to report, I have 2 dead pixels on arrival, the green to red thing kinda sucks but its not really that visible, and the screen needs calibration badly (RGB off and over saturated)!!! Other than that... I just have one question....

Is there a way to make the text less blurry? Or is it just a characteristic of using higher res? I'm on OSX btw..

Last edited:
Are you using the screens native resolution?
If so, check in the system settings for antialiasing of text.

1920X1200. On a mac I dont thing theres a antialiasing setting. Am I wrong?

There are Font Smoothing options under System Preferences / Appearance. Check those and let us know if it makes any difference. For what it's worth text looks pretty crisp with my Mac Pro.

There are Font Smoothing options under System Preferences / Appearance. Check those and let us know if it makes any difference. For what it's worth text looks pretty crisp with my Mac Pro.

what is your setting? I'm using this with my Macbook pro.

Just received mine today, ordered from Ebay. It's working fine so far, great crisp image for gaming and movies. Some input lag, but its nothing that affects the experience of your gaming unless you're a hardcore tournament player.
It was super bright when it arrived, but its easy to adjust, although if you have really sensitive eyes, you should buy some monitor accessories to turn it down even more.
The reds are really, really vibrant, and Im trying to figure out the best way to fix that.

Since there are so many that seem to own this monitor, could you guys share how to best calibrate it? To get rid of reds, get accurate contrast,brightness, etc.
And what DVI cable is ideal for this screen?, the one i received in the package didn't work with my 9800 gtx.

I'm pretty much a rookie when it comes to monitor calibration, please do share whatever you got guys, I really, really appreciate it.

Thanks guys
(again, Awesome screen!)

the bright colors shown on this display are too bright, anyway to change that?

If you use the TFT Central settings and go from there, it should tame them a little. But there is no way to bring them into sRGB range outside of color aware applications. I have gotten used to the saturation though, except in movies, but I use the overlay controls to reduce saturation a bit and it's fine.

Any suggestions on how to install tftcentral's icc-profiles on Xp64?

Can't seem to install WinColor, it says I need XP installed with Service Pack 2, which I already have, and also that i need administrative privileges, which i assume I have?

Thanks

Any suggestions on how to install tftcentral's icc-profiles on Xp64?

Can't seem to install WinColor, it says I need XP installed with Service Pack 2, which I already have, and also that i need administrative privileges, which i assume I have?

Thanks

Just r.click the .icc file and click install, the go to color managment and select it as the default profile.

Received my fourth panel.. has a dead pixel top left corner and slight screen uniformity issues, but I'm gonna keep this one. Can't be bothered sending another one back.

Using the HP Display Assistant.. does anyone know where the file presets can be found once created? I searched my hard drive, but can't find these profile files. They don't seem to be created under the HP Display Assistant Software path and I can't locate them in the folder where other colour profiles are created in XP.

Is the driver necessary? Doesnt Apple Mac have any plug&pray equivalent that would atleast detect what resolutions it supports, which is the only thing you pretty much need when it comes to monitors anyway...

vick1000, It doesn't seem to do anything to my screen, i tried both the profiles listed on the tftcentral website. I think I'm missing something here, or the profiles just do minoor, minor changes.

Cause even when I go to the screen Main Menu, the contrast and brightness are still unaffected.

vick1000, It doesn't seem to do anything to my screen, i tried both the profiles listed on the tftcentral website. I think I'm missing something here, or the profiles just do minoor, minor changes.

Cause even when I go to the screen Main Menu, the contrast and brightness are still unaffected.

All the color profiles will do is change the Look Up Table on your graphics card for use with color aware applications. You have to manually set the monitors settings to the setting listed at TFT Central in order to benefit from the profile they provide.

Again though, only in color aware applications will you get sRGB color from that profile.

Try messing with graphic card gamma and saturation. It helped me a bit, but still needs some minor monitor tweaking.

vick1000, so in Photoshop I will see the changes? or do i need to work with the settings within Photoshop also?

The biggest problem i see is the obvious noise and banding in games though, its ridicoulus sometimes, but it's rarely ingame play, usually during loading screens and menu bars, is that something you just have to live with or can you reduce it, even though the games dont offer too many graphic options? (banding and noise in Call Of Duty 4, HalfLife 2 whilst loading menu/games).

vick1000, so in Photoshop I will see the changes? or do i need to work with the settings within Photoshop also?

The biggest problem i see is the obvious noise and banding in games though, its ridicoulus sometimes, but it's rarely ingame play, usually during loading screens and menu bars, is that something you just have to live with or can you reduce it, even though the games dont offer too many graphic options? (banding and noise in Call Of Duty 4, HalfLife 2 whilst loading menu/games).

wiith or without photoshop i still see the colors the same.

You shouldn't be getting any banding or noise. Are you on VGA or DVI (or other digital)? You must have a bad cable or connection, or some settings are off somewhere. Maybe interference from another source or bad RAMDAC on the video card.

ghostchild, i actually see a huge difference in photoshop. lot of the reds disappear and images look more natural, i guess its because photoshop has its own embedded color profiles, if someone knows how it works more specifically please share.

vick1000, i have a really old cable, any suggestions of what kind of brand/cable i should buy? I have a double male dvi cable right now, old though. way old.

ghostchild, i actually see a huge difference in photoshop. lot of the reds disappear and images look more natural, i guess its because photoshop has its own embedded color profiles, if someone knows how it works more specifically please share.

vick1000, i have a really old cable, any suggestions of what kind of brand/cable i should buy? I have a double male dvi cable right now, old though. way old.

How about the one that came with the monitor?

vick1000, didn't work, it was a dvi to vga cable, had to put a converter on. Once i plugged it in, the monitor wouldn't even recognize the connection. Never really experienced that...a dead cable.

Back