HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Supports 1:1 on all inputs along with fill and aspect, don't see why those two would be any exception.
Can someone please read the answers above?

ediblecastle: Try to find other European users and see if they have the same issue, but I think someone would've mentioned it by now. Not sure what it could be if you've swapped around everything else.

Hi...

I wanted to ask if PIP and PBP modes support digital inputs like DVI with HDMI or Component in these modes or only analog (Composite and S-video)?

Hi...

I wanted to ask if PIP and PBP modes support digital inputs like DVI with HDMI or Component in these modes or only analog (Composite and S-video)?

PIP/PBP support Component, S-Video and Composite only, unfortunately. I'm not really sure why monitors rarely (if ever?) allow you to do any PIP combination.

I'm not really sure why monitors rarely (if ever?) allow you to do any PIP combination.
That would require duplicate processing hardware. As it is you can use 1 digital and 1 analog simultaneously because there is one chip controlling each set - DVI w/ HDMI would require 2 digital and Component w/ Composite would require two analog. What bugs me is that you can't PIP the digital source while viewing analog.

I've just picked up one of these monitors and am trying to decide whether to keep it or not. I don't have a colorimeter yet so I've just tried setting it up by eye using some of the settings I found on this site, and in published reviews, as a guide. I don't see any pinkish greys but I do find the color balance, especially reds, rather exxagerated, just like some reports have warned about. Since I plan to do most of my photo editing in sRGB color space I'm not convinced this is the best monitor for my needs, but I got a great deal on it and really don't want to spend twice as much for an NEC or Eizo.

Are there other 24-inch non-TN models in the same price range as this HP that might be better suited for sRRB photo work? Or is my best option to just pick up an Eye One Display LT and calibrate this HP for sRGB color space?

I've just picked up one of these monitors and am trying to decide whether to keep it or not. I don't have a colorimeter yet so I've just tried setting it up by eye using some of the settings I found on this site, and in published reviews, as a guide. I don't see any pinkish greys but I do find the color balance, especially reds, rather exxagerated, just like some reports have warned about. Since I plan to do most of my photo editing in sRGB color space I'm not convinced this is the best monitor for my needs, but I got a great deal on it and really don't want to spend twice as much for an NEC or Eizo.

Are there other 24-inch non-TN models in the same price range as this HP that might be better suited for sRRB photo work? Or is my best option to just pick up an Eye One Display LT and calibrate this HP for sRGB color space?

Your best option right now is the NEC 2490WUXi. A 24-inch H-IPS+A-TW monito with standard gamut. Unfortunately, its going to cost you around $1150.00.

And yes, it really really f***king sucks that you have to pay such a high premium for non-TN standard gamut (which should be, y'know, standard).

Your best option right now is the NEC 2490WUXi. A 24-inch H-IPS+A-TW monito with standard gamut. Unfortunately, its going to cost you around $1150.00.

And yes, it really really f***king sucks that you have to pay such a high premium for non-TN standard gamut (which should be, y'know, standard).

Thanks but I'm not going to spend that kind of money, that's why I got the HP. If there are no other good standard gamut alternatives in this price range then I guess I'll keep the HP and tweak it the best I can. It's a nice monitor, but for $600 I wish it were more accurate for everyday sRGB use and had decent factory presets instead of ones that don't even resemble their names.

Allright, currently I have HD4870 1GB, and Im bloody impressed with the Saturation control results!

Earlier with 8800GT, I compared some of my photos opened with image viewer and Mozilla + Color management plugin. Difference was drastic rather.

Now, with my current graphics card, I reduced saturation to 80 and calibrated my monitor to ensure proper color with color managed softwares (and calibration was succesfull, dE is below one average), and did the same comparison as above. Frankly, I could barely tell the difference anymore. Pics with very deep reds (like volcano pics at night) are noticeable, but anything with normal colors, damn. Skin colors, grass, sky and everything are about perfect in non-colormanaged applications.

I've just received my 2nd HP LP2475w. the first one produced flickering green/pink pixels all over the screen.

I'm running it off my apple mac dual 1.8Ghz G5. should I have these problems?

this 2nd monitor doesnt even get a signal from my G5. it says "active digital" when scanning DVI-1 port. then changes back to "no signal"

I've just tried it on a windows laptop, but it also has flickering pixels on the screen.

should I be having these problems?

I'm having this same issue with my HP LP2475w that I just got for my Mac Pro with ATI Radeon X1900. Depending on which monitor port I use it on, I get either the flickering pink/green pixels or horrible tearing. The green/pink happens on OS X and Windows, the tearing only on OS X.

The issue doesn't occur when I plug the monitor into my MacBook Pro, so I'm suspecting my video card is the problem and not the new monitor. The monitor works absolutely beautifully on the MacBook. I plan on calling Apple in the morning... I've already had to have my Radeon X1900 swapped out once before.

I've been thinking of getting this monitor, from reading abit here and TFTcentral review it seems to be a good monitor. Though the reviews are few and there are not alot of pics in this thread, could some of you maybe post your workstation area with the screen? Would be most helpful..

I will be using it mostly for photoshopping (I'm a amateur photographer), playing games, watching movies and of corse browsing HardForum.

At the moment I am using an Acer AL2051w with TN-panel...

Got mine. Semi-concerned about backlight leakage I suppose.

brightness 50

blackb50uw4.jpg

white; minor left->right shifting noticable. Vertical bar on the right barely visible. Easier to spot in the picture than it is to spot on the monitor itself. Today is Day 2 and I didn't notice it until I remembered it was there and looked for it.
whiteb50rv6.jpg

bbc (it is much subtler than it looks in the picture; the camera darkens it and adds a blue tint.)
bbccolorshiftfa4.jpg

Thanks for the thread. There has been a tremendous amount of helpful information here :D

Hi Guys!

I have HP LP2475w, Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 video card and WinXP Pro. Anybody could share with me a good calibration? (menu settings + icm file)

And an other question: I don't know why, but HP Display Assistant software not working for me.. I used it with catalyst 8.9 perfectly, but with 8.10 not works. Anybody can use it with 8.10?

Thx!

Hi Guys!

I have HP LP2475w, Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 video card and WinXP Pro. Anybody could share with me a good calibration? (menu settings + icm file)

And an other question: I don't know why, but HP Display Assistant software not working for me.. I used it with catalyst 8.9 perfectly, but with 8.10 not works. Anybody can use it with 8.10?

Thx!

Calibration cannot be "shared". This combination of data is individual for each system monitor+PC.
Try menu settings from published reviews. They may or may not help.

If you want your monitor calibrated your best assistant is a good calibration kit.

Yeah, calibration files over the net are not very usefull because every panel is slightly different. User color mode should already have pretty good color temperature and accuracy by default, so use it. Brightness from 8 to 20 (depends on ambient light) should have good black level and still white whites.

Yeah, calibration files over the net are not very usefull because every panel is slightly different. User color mode should already have pretty good color temperature and accuracy by default, so use it. Brightness from 8 to 20 (depends on ambient light) should have good black level and still white whites.

I know that, all monitors and video cards etc. different, but I thought that, a calibration with a similar system give better solution than factory default...

Yesterday my HP LP2475W simply died on me?

It was working flawlessly until it just got black?
I was not able to turn it on again, I tried with another power cable still no sign of life?

Anyone else experienced such a problem with this monitor?

Hardware does fail and sometimes you just get unlucky I suppose :(

So, no power light at all ? And you've swapped the mains cable so that's not the issue. Just one thing worth checking before the call to HP tech support, there is a power switch right next to the power socket, try clicking it back and forth once or twice just to make sure it's clicking on correctly.

I've tried that too, guess I'm just darn unlucky then.. And the HP Service is normally taking ages here in Norway :p

How does this monitor handle games? Are games color gamut and profile aware? Do they look normal or insanely saturated?

Do they look normal or insanely saturated?

WoW looks pretty saturated, or extremely "vibrant" as a less negative descriptor. I don't mind it honestly, it goes with the "cartoony" stylistic feel of the game and I enjoy the bold colors. Not going to lie, it was a pretty big difference from my old monitor (which was an ORIGINAL 2000FP that I paid ~$1200 for a while back, so yeah, I could also probably attribute some of it on poor contrast ratio and aged backlighting.)

In Fallout 3 I didn't even notice anything (probably because I never played it on my old monitor.) It just looked good. I never once even thought about the color saturation. Nothing felt "off" or "wrong" or made me reach for the OSD buttons to attempt to adjust settings.

Same with L4D. Never even noticed the saturation. The game just looks good. The darks are dark and not wrong shades of gray, the colors look good, and again, the color spectrum differences never even crossed my mine until I read your post.

FWIW.

I can take photos if you'd like. I'm confident my cheap consumer-grade camera could pick up the color vibrancy of WoW. Let me know.

Hello... this is my 1st post here, and i generally need your opinion on this monitor :)

Its basically the only IPS monitor i can get in my country, and the best part is that its cheaper (a lot) than Dell's 2408, which is PVA... and only marginally more expensive than Samsung's 2493HM, which is a TN.

I do work a lot at home, but that's in Catia / Ansys... and other CAD/CAM tools, so any monitor is good for that i guess :)
So I'm looking for a panel that's great for playing games / watching movies, i guess input lag is a factor here, so i'm wondering if any owners can help me out... can i game on this monitor?

Thanx :)

Colour:
I find over saturation to be occasionally annoying, perhaps that should be very occasionally. It depends on the game and I guess it's a very personal thing, some may notice it more than others. Fallout 3 is a strange one, in fully calibrated custom mode I find the colours washed out, it definitely looks better on my CRT. That said a good compromise is switching to the much maligned sRGB mode which restores some of the depth and contrast. I've yet to experiment with sRGB in other games as before Fallout 3 I never really had a reason to.

Input lag:
Reviews and previous posts measure this at about 2 frames. Again highly subjective and game dependent but personally I've not found it to be a problem.

Games played on this monitor:
VTM:Bloodlines, The Witcher, X3:TC, Hinterland, Sacred Gold, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, Evil Island. None of them very 'twitchy' .

Colour:
I find over saturation to be occasionally annoying, perhaps that should be very occasionally. It depends on the game and I guess it's a very personal thing, some may notice it more than others. Fallout 3 is a strange one, in fully calibrated custom mode I find the colours washed out, it definitely looks better on my CRT. That said a good compromise is switching to the much maligned sRGB mode which restores some of the depth and contrast. I've yet to experiment with sRGB in other games as before Fallout 3 I never really had a reason to.

Input lag:
Reviews and previous posts measure this at about 2 frames. Again highly subjective and game dependent but personally I've not found it to be a problem.

Games played on this monitor:
VTM:Bloodlines, The Witcher, X3:TC, Hinterland, Sacred Gold, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, Evil Island. None of them very 'twitchy' .

I don't really understand the "saturation" thing... but its ok... I'm just wondering, is it better for gaming than Samsung's 24" TN screens? Or TN screens in general. I Don't really care about photo editing or viewing angles.

Thanx,

If you don't care about color accuracy and depth, or viewing angles, then a TN will be better (you will save money too). An IPS panel would provide a better all-around experience, but for your purposes you are probably better off with a TN panel.

I'm getting mine tonight. I should be able to get it hooked up and calibrated with a Pantone Huey Pro and post results (if I am not too distracted playing games.

My display is slightly tilted to the left (the side you can't rotate the stand to). Any ideas how to fix this? I can't get a replacement unit or stand...

Well, I finally have the screen.
Right now I'm not very happy with it, the viewing angles seem to be even worse than my previous 17" TN monitor, especially when there a lot of black on the screen, when you slightly go off angle, black turns greyish.
Actually, when I'm playing something dark, this effect is quite dramatic even when I view it head on, the corners seem to bleed/turn greyish, as soon as I get father away from the screen that effect disappears, but only when I view it head on, as soon as I view off angle, dark parts turn greyish again.
Its funny, because my Toshiba HDTV does this as well, and I'm very frustrated with this.
Is there something wrong with my monitor? I thought H-IPS panels had perfect viewing angles...:(
Also, the green/pink effect seems to be a problem with my monitor as well, where the greater part of the left screen is greener than the right side.
Although I can live with green/pink effect, I can't with that blacks-turning-to-gray issue.

So, If anyone can help me?, right now I'm pretty disappointed :(.

...and people keep saying the white glow isn't a big deal. That's what I'm talking about.

...and people keep saying the white glow isn't a big deal. That's what I'm talking about.

Well, this is a bigger deal than TN viewing angles, color accuracy etc. put together.
Its simply poor viewing angles, way worse than TN, I'm really shocked that this monitor exhibits these effects at this price range :eek:.
Even more shocking is that neither TFTCentral.co.uk or Prad.de talked about this, this is a deal breaker imho :(.
The green-purple effect is also unacceptable at this price point, it almost feels that this screen is even worse than most cheap TN panels, really...how can anyone recommend this screen?:mad:

IPS panels have good color viewing angles. It's only the contrast that deteriorates. On TN panels, the color also deteriorates, but that only happens at vertical angles.

IPS panels with the A-TW polarizer don't have this problem, but only a few monitors have it:

NEC LCD2490WUXi
NEC LCD2690WUXi
HP DreamColor LP2480zx
DoubleSight DS-263N (only some units had it)
DoubleSight DS-265W (no backlight control, so black looks like crap anyway)
Hazro HZ26W and HZ26Wi (no backlight control either)

You might want to look into the NEC monitors if the glow really bothers you.

Is the 2480zx Dreamcolor verified to have the A-TW polarizer? I didn't see any mention of it on the HP site, so I thought it meant they didn't have it, but I could've overlooked it.

I was looking forward to this LCD for a while since this thread began but this wide gamut thing may be a deal breaker for me, unfortunately. If only there was a way to get the NEC 2490's screen into this HP body.. sRGB + all these delicious inputs would be utter win for web developing. At the moment it seems my only option is the HP 2480zx lol, which sucks (in terms of price.)

But erm, that whole green pink story, is this a defect?
Or will it disappear over time?
Yes, I'd consider it a defect, although maybe not that serious given the current state of LCD technology, particularly at this price point.

No, it will not disappear over time (at least in my experience).

Having seen a few samples of the LP2475W, I'm convinced it's a normal characteristic of this model, and that those owners who aren't troubled by it are either (a) lucky enough to have obtained an unusually good sample or (b) are insensitive to subtle colour transitions.

FWIW, I found the IPS off-angle white glow was noticeable, but completely inoffensive in normal use at a viewing distance of 30 inches or more, and the black levels were generally excellent.

Really, your best option is to order from a store with a good returns policy and see how it pans out for you personally. It might be a bargain for a 24" IPS panel, but it's still a fairly expensive purchase by most people's standards, so no point in forcing yourself to live with it if the defects bother you that much...

it sounds like it would be a good idea to buy a TN panel that does not have some of these defects, yes it has others, but those might be much more manageable.

or buy a IPS panel with the A-TW

Well, this is a bigger deal than TN viewing angles, color accuracy etc. put together.
Its simply poor viewing angles, way worse than TN, I'm really shocked that this monitor exhibits these effects at this price range :eek:.
Even more shocking is that neither TFTCentral.co.uk or Prad.de talked about this, this is a deal breaker imho :(.
The green-purple effect is also unacceptable at this price point, it almost feels that this screen is even worse than most cheap TN panels, really...how can anyone recommend this screen?:mad:

Maybe your display has problems. I just got a new one, and I am not experiencing this issue.

Should mention that I have 22" TN's on the left and right of the monitor. Both have worse viewing angles, and the color is nowhere near that of the HP. Granted, they are 1-2 years older.

Maybe your display has problems. I just got a new one, and I am not experiencing this issue.

Should mention that I have 22" TN's on the left and right of the monitor. Both have worse viewing angles, and the color is nowhere near that of the HP. Granted, they are 1-2 years older.

Perhaps, but this effect is also very noticable on my Toshiba HDTV, which uses a S-IPS panel.
It seems that this defect is a part of IPS technology.
Now, I only tried this monitor at night, since I just got it last night (And I'm on my laptop now - Not at home), And I know ambient lightning has a huge impact on the intensity of the white glow effect on my Toshiba, in daylight its barely noticable, but in a darkened room the effect is quite dramatic.
You could test whether your screen has this issue as well by looking at it diagonally off-angle in a darkened room, when its displaying a black screen.

it sounds like it would be a good idea to buy a TN panel that does not have some of these defects, yes it has others, but those might be much more manageable.

Well, I already purchased this one, So I'm probably gonna wait a while before deciding what to do next.
When you talk about defects in TN panels, what kind of defects are you talking about?
My previous screen was a 17 " TN, and it might be possible that a 24" TN might have some white glow issues as well, since its bigger and I'm sitting closer in comparison.

FWIW, I found the IPS off-angle white glow was noticeable, but completely inoffensive in normal use at a viewing distance of 30 inches or more, and the black levels were generally excellent.

Part of my problem is probably because I'm sitting too close to the screen, about 15 to 20 inches, So I probably have to push the screen further back, at 30 inches when viewing head-on the white glow effect is not that noticable.

Anyway, I'm still a bit dissapointed, considering there's been a lot of hype going on about IPS panels, while to me, its just as (or even more) flawed as TN.
I'm also surprised that neither TFTCentral and Prad have mentioned the white glow or the pink/green issue, since these are pretty serious defects.

It appears the green/pink issue is a defect ( http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12883472&postcount=670 ) call support.

I'd definitely recommend sitting 30"+ away from the screen, text etc is large enough for this to be comfortable and sitting further back reduces the viewing angle between your eyes and the edges of the screen. As an aside, for a computer monitor I think this viewing angle, the angle formed by your eye and the opposite edge of the screen is a lot more relevant than any side view test. It is an inescapable fact that this angle is increased when using wide screen monitors regardless of screen type - a case of the technology being unable to keep up with marketing ? One day I'll get around to doing the maths ;)

Black on this monitor is interesting. I've measured the black level down to 0.1cd/m which I believe is an outstandingly good figure. The white glow is at its worst when viewing a totally black screen, adding even a small amount of colour reduces my perception of the glow to negligible levels. That said, depending on viewing distance, and hence angle, dark areas near the corners of the screen can take on a 'shine' looking almost polished. I find this effect to be tolerable and certainly less annoying and disorientating than the VA shift I found on the dell 2408. YMMV

The only disappointment I've had with this screen is playing Fallout 3 where I find the graphics lack depth. Switching to sRGB mode helps but there is no escaping the fact that this game looks so much better on a CRT.

Back