HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

aquadark, I am in the same situation. Although the text problems that some people experience do concern me a little, my biggest uncertainty is whether or not I would notice any lag when playing FPS games. Those are my bread and butter and I've NEVER played games on anything but a CRT or projector. I want to make the change and enjoy widescreen LCD gaming, but I am ultra concerned about an average of 25 ms of input lag. Unforturnately, I don't think there are any fanatical FPS gamers following this thread currently. Several people have reported good experiences, but a "hint of lag" scares me. I guess one of us is just going to have to buy the monitor and test it ourselves.

Let's flip a coin. Oops, heads it is! Sorry, you lose. I will fully trust your evaluation once you've played some critical CS, COD4 or UT3. Please report back soon. Thanks for taking one for the team! ;)

Hey MustRotate, your computer specs look like a terrific gaming machine. Do you have an opinioin on "lagginess" when playing intense FPS games? Thanks.

P.S. aquadark, regardless of MustRotate's answer, you still must buy this monitor and report back. Remember the coin toss!

aquadark, I am in the same situation. Although the text problems that some people experience do concern me a little, my biggest uncertainty is whether or not I would notice any lag when playing FPS games. Those are my bread and butter and I've NEVER played games on anything but a CRT or projector. I want to make the change and enjoy widescreen LCD gaming, but I am ultra concerned about an average of 25 ms of input lag. Unforturnately, I don't think there are any fanatical FPS gamers following this thread currently. Several people have reported good experiences, but a "hint of lag" scares me. I guess one of us is just going to have to buy the monitor and test it ourselves.

Let's flip a coin. Oops, heads it is! Sorry, you lose. I will fully trust your evaluation once you've played some critical CS, COD4 or UT3. Please report back soon. Thanks for taking one for the team! ;)

I've played some racing sims, some ET:QW and a little AA; I noticed no lag in either (and to show I'm not just immune and don't feel it, I did notice it on the Dell 2408 and it's one of the reasons I sent it packing).

I don't recall anybody having issues with backlight bleed, just acute angle H-IPS white glow. Unless you're a "serious" enough gamer to require <5 ms input lag this is fine though there are faster IPS available. Color consistency is good, especially with calibration. The wide gamut seems to be the only downside for most people, with a few unhappy about text and some reporting moderate color temp gradients.

Can you tell me which IPS panels are faster than this one? I didn't think there were any?

I have tried to calibrate my 2475 last night.. but I cant seem te get the colors i was hoping for.. the very light grey colors still display with a small pinkinsh tint.

I'm thinking of bringing the monitor back and buying a Eizo S2431 so I know for sure that I have a quality monitor.

I play CS and you dont have to worry about the lag on this monitor. I'm not a pro-gamer or something, but playing on this screen didn't affect my scores. Games look VERY good on this monitor though.

Hey MustRotate, your computer specs look like a terrific gaming machine. Do you have an opinioin on "lagginess" when playing intense FPS games? Thanks.

P.S. aquadark, regardless of MustRotate's answer, you still must buy this monitor and report back. Remember the coin toss!

I had not had time to play much, just GRID and CS1.6 and the last is a little bit different compared to my Viewsonic Vx922. But for now i have greater problems adjusting to the huge resolution and still need time to find my perfect sensitivity setting so that i can say yes it has or no,i dont notice about lagginess.

I have tried to calibrate my 2475 last night.. but I cant seem te get the colors i was hoping for.. the very light grey colors still display with a small pinkinsh tint.

I'm thinking of bringing the monitor back and buying a Eizo S2431 so I know for sure that I have a quality monitor.

Did you calibrate it properly (i.e. with a Calibration device) or try to do it by eye? If the latter, get yourself something like an Eye One Display 2 LT first to calibrate properly (and then if you want to get the Eizo, go for it, but that will need calibrating too - so you'll not be wasting money on the device).

I got it calibrated with the my spyder 3 colorimeter..

I'm doubting now between the following monitors:

BenQ FP241W €430,-
NEC 2470WNX €590,-
EIZO s2431w €750,-

I know these monitors are a little outdated but every new monitor seems to be wide gamut, which I really don't like.

I have mine sitting in front of me now. Feels amazing monitor! There is a slight inverse ghosting when my cursor travels fast on blue background, but in other colors its not visible so not a big deal. Viewing angles are also magnificent, and I dont see any gamma shift. Right edge of the monitor is VERY SLIGHTLY darker, but its less than an inch, and difference is so small that I might be even imagining it.

About widegamut colors, after calibration they look good enough. I looked some nature wallpapers and they arent as neon as I feared they would be. However, once skin colors step in I notice a stronger red hue than natural. That saturation control would be very handy now... Good that other colors seem fine and not bothering. I have yet to do any serious gaming or movie watching, but these will get covered this evening.

I dont feel any input lag when using mouse. (monitor is connected to port 1, closest to PCIe slot) It feels exactly same as my VX2240w.

*edit* Did a quick check with LOTR - Fellowship of the ring, everything was fine other than skin colors, Bilbos red jacket and fire wich had a slight cartoonish strong tone. A slight nudge to video saturation controls and everything looked pretty much normal again. Very good.

*edit* In Oblivion, with HDR enabled wilderness looked quite neon, almost radioactive. But thats to be expected because it looks that way in normal sRGB monitor too, unnaturally boosted. And this effect is only enhanced by the wide gamut screen. Also in the plane of oblivion the red shades are indeed very red, lava very glowing looking etc... Anyway, gaming is otherwise fantastic. Screen feels quite fast as there is very little trailing other than motion blur caused by LCD technology.

Verdict so far, this is very good gamers monitor for demanding gamers if you can put up with wide gamut. Whenever there are strong shades visible, especially bright green or reds, they do get boosted quite noticeably. Otherwise colors are fine. If you have ATI card, you have almost nothing to fear as you can reduce the saturation a bit to get those boosted extremes less piercing.

Is this screen glossy or matte? I have been browsing so many LCD threads lately I am getting cross eyed. If this has been answered, sorry.

I actually wish it was glossy, but I think that makes me a heretic?

Yes, after having my Hazro replaced with a i revision (glossy whereas the first was matte) I absolutely hated it - even with no light directly behind me it was a mirror.

Yes, after having my Hazro replaced with a i revision (glossy whereas the first was matte) I absolutely hated it - even with no light directly behind me it was a mirror.

I think it's just something about my current lighting conditions - there's a skylight on an angled wall near me, and while it doesn't cause shadows, it does cause a lot of glare which is made worse by the matte coating.

I'm considering buying the HP LP2475w. Based on reviews I've read it seems that it's a good choice for the price, considering it's an H-IPS panel monitor and my needs (video work, some photo, illustration and print work, gaming). I dual-boot an Intel Mac between OS X (work) and Windows XP (gaming).

Looking at the HP online store and at CDW, I noticed that there's two versions of the monitor with a $100 price difference and different part numbers (KD911A4 and KD911A8). Is there a difference between these? The specs look identical, but the panel type is not listed.

Also, is this my best choice for $600-700? I'm between the HP LP2475w and the Dell 2408WFP. Should I be waiting for Apple's new 24" monitor?

I contacted HP about the two separate part numbers. The customer service gal was "fairly certain" there was no difference between the two. I felt "fairly relieved."

I'm considering buying the HP LP2475w. Based on reviews I've read it seems that it's a good choice for the price, considering it's an H-IPS panel monitor and my needs (video work, some photo, illustration and print work, gaming). I dual-boot an Intel Mac between OS X (work) and Windows XP (gaming).

Looking at the HP online store and at CDW, I noticed that there's two versions of the monitor with a $100 price difference and different part numbers (KD911A4 and KD911A8). Is there a difference between these? The specs look identical, but the panel type is not listed.

Also, is this my best choice for $600-700? I'm between the HP LP2475w and the Dell 2408WFP. Should I be waiting for Apple's new 24" monitor?

Same monitor, one is the promotional price, the other is the "big companies can haggle and feel they have a bargain" price.

This is in a different league to the Dell IMHO (I've owned, and sent back, the 2408). Only wait for Apple's 24" new LED Cinema Display if you have a displayport out on both computers and are willing to be a guinnea pig before they get reviewed in depth by one of the decent review sites.

couple of questions for those who have used this monitor:

1) How much antiglare/antireflective coating is on the screen?

2) Does the monitor emit any noise or is it perfectly quiet? I tried the LP2275w but it made this high frequency whine that was unbearably annoying. It might've been the power transformer but I am not sure.

3) How much input lag?

2. Mine is completely silent. I guess this might vary from monitor to monitor, so I cant say if they all are.

3. 25ms average + - some milliseconds depending who is measuring and how it is measured. So it might lag from one frame to max two frames. Practically it feels quite lagless to me.

1) Enough to be effective but not show speckling.

2) If I press my ear up against the back panel where the analog inputs are I can just barely hear a faint buzz in a silent room.

Sounds pretty good. I'm really sensitive to sound, so I need to confirm that this monitor emits no discernible noise. When you switch it off after running it for a while in a dead silent room, is there no difference to your ears?

Also, can you put this image up fullscreen and test the monitor's backlight uniformity?

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bluetestpi0.jpg

Ideally, the above image will be one solid color and won't have any dark-light gradient going from top to bottom.

I received my Eizo s2431 today.

It is far better (even uncalibrated) than the HP2475. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not an expert, but the difference is very noticable to me.

- No saturated colors anymore.
- Great black levels.
- No more pinkish grays.

For people that are thinking to buy the HP word sRGB work... Think again.

I received my Eizo s2431 today.

It is far better (even uncalibrated) than the HP2475. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not an expert, but the difference is very noticable to me.

- No saturated colors anymore.
- Great black levels.
- No more pinkish grays.

For people that are thinking to buy the HP word sRGB work... Think again.

I assume you must be outside of North America. Because here you can get the NEC 2490WUXi SV for the same or less money. The NEC is is also sRGB, but has A-TW IPS screen instead of PVA in the Eizo.

Has anyone here tried to connect either a Xbox 360 or PS3 to this monitor? Will it support 1:1 pixel mapping?

- No more money in pocket (+60% in price compared to LP2475w).

Yes, it is indeed a little more expensive.. €550 vs €700

I assume you must be outside of North America. Because here you can get the NEC 2490WUXi SV for the same or less money. The NEC is is also sRGB, but has A-TW IPS screen instead of PVA in the Eizo.

Yes, if I was living in the US i would have bought the NEC 2490, definitely.

I've just received my 2nd HP LP2475w. the first one produced flickering green/pink pixels all over the screen.

I'm running it off my apple mac dual 1.8Ghz G5. should I have these problems?

this 2nd monitor doesnt even get a signal from my G5. it says "active digital" when scanning DVI-1 port. then changes back to "no signal"

I've just tried it on a windows laptop, but it also has flickering pixels on the screen.

should I be having these problems?

Just got this last week ($616 from TheNerds.net) and besides the extreme red I am very happy with it. Also got the LG GGC-H20L blu-ray player and Planet Earth DVD. I upgraded the OEM powerdvd to 8 ultra but it continually complains that it cant play protected content on this monitor. HDCP IS supported over DVI right? I am connected to an HD 4870 card. I hope this is the right forum for this query.
By the way, thanks for all the (pages and pages) of reviews. It was what helped me to decide on this monitor.

Sounds pretty good. I'm really sensitive to sound, so I need to confirm that this monitor emits no discernible noise. When you switch it off after running it for a while in a dead silent room, is there no difference to your ears?

Also, can you put this image up fullscreen and test the monitor's backlight uniformity?

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bluetestpi0.jpg

Ideally, the above image will be one solid color and won't have any dark-light gradient going from top to bottom.
I don't know how I'd test that first one because to get it running I need something providing a signal and my computer makes noise, otherwise it goes to sleep after 10 seconds. I also have good ears and notice nothing until I get right up against it, from the rear.

Previously in the thread several of us posted similar pictures but white, uniformity is fine.
Has anyone here tried to connect either a Xbox 360 or PS3 to this monitor? Will it support 1:1 pixel mapping?
Supports 1:1 on all inputs along with fill and aspect, don't see why those two would be any exception.
I've just received my 2nd HP LP2475w. the first one produced flickering green/pink pixels all over the screen.

I'm running it off my apple mac dual 1.8Ghz G5. should I have these problems?

this 2nd monitor doesnt even get a signal from my G5. it says "active digital" when scanning DVI-1 port. then changes back to "no signal"

I've just tried it on a windows laptop, but it also has flickering pixels on the screen.

should I be having these problems?
Are you connected through DVI or VGA? Have you tried different cables, like the ones included with it? Are you running on 120 or 240V AC? Do your old monitors show similar symptoms? The fact you've gotten two monitors with the exact same problems leads me to believe it's the fault of something else in your setup, especially when nobody else has had this issue.
Also got the LG GGC-H20L blu-ray player and Planet Earth DVD. I upgraded the OEM powerdvd to 8 ultra but it continually complains that it cant play protected content on this monitor. HDCP IS supported over DVI right? I am connected to an HD 4870 card.
Have you installed the driver for the monitor so windows picks it up properly instead of generic Plug and Play? Are you using a DVI-D or DVI-I cable and not a DVI-A or VGA adapter?

Have you tried switching which DVI port you're connecting to? Wouldn't be the first time a monitor only supports HDCP over one port not both. It's supposed to support HDCP over DVI according to the specs, but I don't have anything to test it with.

Just a sidenote. The USB hub appears to work even if you turn the monitor off. I know this because I have a backup schedule that works overnight and with the monitor turned off the backup still succeeds via USB to an external hard disk. Pretty cool though I am unsure how this affects power usage.

Things of note: If you enable color profile in Firefox 3 it has adverse effects on display of anaglyph 3D images using those red and cyan glasses. Red cast is innacurate causing ghosting of the red shift.

The one thing I have found to be the best bonus is the complete and utter lack of persistence of image. I have had the screen displaying the same desktop for hours and testing using CheckMon's color uniformity test shows no after images. The usual regime of using a timeout into standby mode is still advised though.

After using this monitor for a while now I must say that it's a wonderful display for the money. It's not perfect by far but it's the best bang-for-buck monitor I have ever had.

hi hotdogstorm

yeah it was connected dvi-dvi.

with the first HP display that came I tried out a high quality DVI-DVI cable that made it worse. I also tried a HDMI-DVI cable which made it worse.

when connecting it to a windows laptop I'm using the DVI-VGA.

I purchased a 22" 2208 Dell monitor about a month ago which worked perfectly. Thought i did return it because I didnt like the TN panel in it.

my power supply is 240V

Back