HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Ok. I can't see what the issue is. I have an NEC 2490 and there have been some claims that the Red Subpixel on the HP is a little overpowered and might be throwing things off. I haven't seen it and can't judge the effect.

My NEC has perfectly sharp text IMO. I have a Dell 17"(samsung TN) next to it and the text is pretty much identical. I have owned 3 other panels and I am very picky about visual issues, so if there was something wrong with the text, I am sure I would see it. I think I was just about the only person to notice blurred text on the Dell 2007FP A00 firmware (returned for refund).

I rate the NEC 2490 as among the best text I have seen. There is nothing inherent in H-IPS that harms text quality. But I have not seen the HP 2475.

Sorry about that I had both screen in clone mode to test lag and color reproduction but I switched them to extension mode in the ATI CCC later. Both are at their native resolutions, the w2207 is at 1680x1050 and the LP2475w is at 1920x1200. The text just isn't as sharp as stated before compared to the w2207.

There is this fuzzy look to them and it strains the eyes. I was thinking about applying the color profile that Phil mentioned and hopefully some change in the contrast/brightness will make text bearable.

If you have problems finding it, I've found my repost of it on OcUK forums along with a link to LutManager (as their website seems to be down at the moment)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12526623&postcount=302

Ok. I can't see what the issue is. I have an NEC 2490 and there have been some claims that the Red Subpixel on the HP is a little overpowered and might be throwing things off. I haven't seen it and can't judge the effect.

My NEC has perfectly sharp text IMO. I have a Dell 17"(samsung TN) next to it and the text is pretty much identical. I have owned 3 other panels and I am very picky about visual issues, so if there was something wrong with the text, I am sure I would see it. I think I was just about the only person to notice blurred text on the Dell 2007FP A00 firmware (returned for refund).

I rate the NEC 2490 as among the best text I have seen. There is nothing inherent in H-IPS that harms text quality. But I have not seen the HP 2475.

It's noticeable. If it weren't for the w2207 making it so apparent I could maybe shrug it off but then the eye strain would set off alarms. Just think how sharp the text is on your screen then turn off clear type and have a slight haze/fuzzy around each letter. It's hard to explain until you actually see it and when you do it will bother you because of the eye strain.

Hopefully changing some settings and more adjustments will fix it.That's the only nitpick I have with the screen.

I've got my own HP LP2475W now!
And my first impression is really good! Seems really good and solid!

The brightness of the default settings was high enough to kill anyone though, what settings are you guys running on? I've got no hardware calibrator, and as I'm colour-blind calibrating is just not my thing, so anyone got some numbers to recommend me to be running?

This far I've only noticed two drawbacks:

1#: I hooked up my Xbox360 Elite to the HDMI port, and the menus and text are kinda blurry?
It's not just my eyes, it's a fact that some edges etc are blurry, much more blurry than on our rather old Hitachi 720P TV! I've tried with HDMI, DVI-D and component input, tried with 720P, 1080i and 1080P, but it keeps the same? Anyone else got a Xbox360 they can hook up and see if they notice the same issues?

What might cause it? Might it be the fact that the Xbox360 got a maximum of 50Hz, and the screen runs 60Hz? I can't seem to find any option for lowering the Hz?

Another thing is the picture-in-picture feature, which I find rather useless to be honest.
I was going to try and run my PC desktop and Xbox360 side-by-side, but guess what? Picture-in-picture is only supported by 1x analogue and 1x digital source, in other words you can't run picture-in-picture through the HDMI / DVI / Displayport inputs, you have to have one source connected in either the HDMI / DVI or Displayport and the other in the Component, Composite or VGA?

Makes it useless in my opinion, why can't I use it to get my computer desktop and xbox360 shown side by side?

TFT central recommends User for color settings (should be decent by default, unlike color temperature presets), and brightess setting from 10 to 20 should provide good brightness for whites and deepest blacks.

Well, I am new here but figured I would throw in. I have been looking for a bigger monitor to replace my VP201B IPS monitor. I looked around and after having an IPS monitor, everything else sucks in comparison. Don't get me wrong, some monitors look really good, but with high input lag they would not suit me as I primarily game. The NEC 2490 looked nice, a little pricy but did not have HDMI. Then I stumbled upon this thread and after a lot of reading and more research I finally ordered my LP2475w yesterday. I tried CDW and HP and I understand shipping but TAX! give me a break. Well I got one from ShopBLT for $634 shipped. They have no tax and free shipping right now so if you want one, they are they place to get it from.
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100100U014_BU09559P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

So now I am eagerly awaiting UPS to show up.

HotdogStorm said:
Regardless of scaling chosen it treats it as 4:3 with bars on the sides. Not only is there a ton of horizontal compression but it also stretches the vertical a bit more, nobody could get used to that regardless of zealotry. It's really not that big a deal since I can run it in 4:3 and it's still a ton crisper than composite, I just wasn't expecting it to be a problem.
Is it really 4:3, or is it 3:2? Both have black bars on the sides, but 3:2 has smaller bars. 4:3 would at least be correct for 4:3 content, and the Wii can be set to 4:3. Most monitors output 480p as 3:2 though, which is always wrong.

I'll take a ruler to it tonight and check. Technically 480p is supposed to be 720x480, but just about everything I've run across treats it as 640x480.

edit: in 1:1 and Aspect it's roughly 1.5, Full fits to 16:10 but crops it slightly.

...I finally ordered my LP2475w yesterday. I tried CDW and HP and I understand shipping but TAX! give me a break. Well I got one from ShopBLT for $634 shipped. They have no tax and free shipping right now so if you want one, they are they place to get it from.
http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=01100100U014_BU09559P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!
So now I am eagerly awaiting UPS to show up.

Well if I had the cash right now, I'd be ordering mine. But hopefully it will be available and for the same price (or less) on the 22nd of this month.

Oh and I'd prefer to pay $612.21 (price includes $20.45 shipping and no tax) from Provantage. :).

I don't know ShopBLT. I've dealt with Provantage in the past and have been very happy with their service.

Another thing is the picture-in-picture feature, which I find rather useless to be honest.
I was going to try and run my PC desktop and Xbox360 side-by-side, but guess what? Picture-in-picture is only supported by 1x analogue and 1x digital source, in other words you can't run picture-in-picture through the HDMI / DVI / Displayport inputs, you have to have one source connected in either the HDMI / DVI or Displayport and the other in the Component, Composite or VGA?

Makes it useless in my opinion, why can't I use it to get my computer desktop and xbox360 shown side by side?

Exactly. Same problem here, i wanted to use DVI & HDMI combo, and it can't be done... Oh well, cheap IPS monitor must have some drawbacks ;-)

Well if I had the cash right now, I'd be ordering mine. But hopefully it will be available and for the same price (or less) on the 22nd of this month.

Oh and I'd prefer to pay $612.21 (price includes $20.45 shipping and no tax) from Provantage. :).

I don't know ShopBLT. I've dealt with Provantage in the past and have been very happy with their service.

Lol damn cheap in the US. I payed equvilant to 804$. If I could get if for 612$ I would have definitely kept it. Despite it's issues ;)

I ponied up for a lp2475w from a 2408wfp and am glad I did.

However, I've had my lp2475w for a few days now and only noticed today that I think I have a bad pixel or a piece of debris sandwiched in the layers of the screen. I've tried massaging it as well as running udpixel for about 30min (if I need longer I really don't understand how it can be fixed this way). The reason why I think it is debris is because it doesn't ever really look black, more light gray and even on pure R,G,B screens it seems to change to those colors just a bit darker. I tried looking at it through a magnifier and it look to me like I could see the RGB pixels on with the screen white.

Here's what it looks like and unfortunately its almost dead center of screen (about 1/2 inch to the left of dead center)

white background (I know looks pink)
2923294393_c203780c55.jpg

on yellow background (easier to see for me)
2923294389_e110b05fa2.jpg

I'm posting just to make sure this isn't some normal artifact from manufacture because it is so close to dead center.

Also, if I should really bother exchanging (I have a 7-day window for return which ends on Friday, then have to deal with HP directly). I imagine I'll have to pay for shipping, so it may not be worth it.

Doesn't seem to have other issues some others report (use ClearType people!) except for maybe a little more green on the left side. Definitely worth the upgrade though. TIA

Also, if I should really bother exchanging (I have a 7-day window for return which ends on Friday, then have to deal with HP directly). I imagine I'll have to pay for shipping, so it may not be worth it.

Please read the warranty document, if there's a problem in most cases they will send someone out to swap out the panel - this is a business grade screen and you get business grade support in most countries. If not an on-site visit then I would expect a doorstep replacement.

The brightness of the default settings was high enough to kill anyone though, what settings are you guys running on? I've got no hardware calibrator, and as I'm colour-blind calibrating is just not my thing, so anyone got some numbers to recommend me to be running?

Please look at my post about 3 before yours and I've provided a link to a calibrated profile and LUT Loader that I put on the OcUK forums - it's working quite well for me.

Please read the warranty document, if there's a problem in most cases they will send someone out to swap out the panel - this is a business grade screen and you get business grade support in most countries. If not an on-site visit then I would expect a doorstep replacement..

I bought a HP "business" (L1925) monitor 3 years ago for my Mom (from J&R) and right away it wouldn't "wake up" from sleep mode. We contacted HP. They said they would send out a new one with a prepaid UPS sticker to return the bad one.

We got the new monitor and had the same problem. We contacted them again and they repeated the process. The third time was the charm and we've been happy ever since.

As a side note, I'd not gotten around to returning the first monitor till we had two to return. So I returned both at the same time.

Unlike some vendors I've dealt with, we had abously no additiobnal expense (temporary or otherwise) involved in these exchanges.

And there was never any mention of sending someone out (perhaps it's because it didn't involve the panel itself?).

Anway, I was very impressed.

I just thought I'd share.

I'm having mine replaced as well because the right hand corner of my screen is just too dark and the left is too bright. I called them and they said they would send someone over with a new panel and take back the old one. They told me it might take some time because it's a new model to get the part, but since I don't pay any shipping and they come to my door with the replacement I am very impressed with their service. They even call back quite often to give me updates on ETAs etc.

sweet, finally bit and bought from provantage. best price out right now!

The w2408h is a great monitor from HP I can't imagine them improving much on it

While the 2408 is a fine monitor for a TN panel, the 2475 is in a different class. Short list of (important) distinctions:

IPS vs. TN - it's widely believed that IPS panels offer many strengths over TN panels. My mom may not notice the difference but as a Photoshop user and gamer who spends all day staring into screens, I will certainly notice the difference.

Input variety - the 2408 has very limited input options over the 2475. May not be important for some users.

Glossy screen vs. matte - I love the look of glossy but it does restrict positioning. For example, my work office has two large windows directly behind where I sit, and faces to the south. I would not be able to use a glossy screen in this setting effectively. My home office features a window that I look out into the back yard and hillside, facing to the east. Glossy would be fine at home but a dealbreaker at work.

Stand - the 2408 does not have a good height adjustment option. Yes it can be fixed with a third party stand, and yes the 2475's is not exactly sexy but it is functional.

I'm sure others will chime in with other distinctions but to say nothing can be improved on the 2408 is a bit shortsighted imo. The 2475 isn't perfect either but it does represent a very good value for an IPS screen at ~$625USD.

I have a short question. I was going to get a nec-lcd2070nx (ips panel) for mostly graphics usage (photo etc.), but now i've found out LP2475w. can anyone compare these two? well besides the size, for which i pretty much do not care. thanks!

I just received my monitor yesterday and I am getting the green/pink problem that some people have been reporting.

Looking at the monitor the left side has a noticably greenish hue while the right is more pinkish. This is apparent even while browsing when the website has a white background.

A very quick way to test it is to use this viewing angle test. If the monitor color is even the color of the text against the background should be pretty much even. On my lp2475w the text is more legible and pinker and background is noticably pinker on the right side.The left side is a bit greener and it is harder to read the text.

It is not a viewing angle problem and it appears no matter what angle I look at the monitor.

Is this a problem with ALL these monitors or just some? I am thinking of requesting a replacement, but if all the monitors have the same problem then maybe I should get a refund.

Have people who exchanged this monitor got ones that didn't have the issue? Anyone have experiences replacing the monitor in the US to share?

I got my lp2475 today. I calibrated the monitor so it displays good srgb in firefox and photoshop, no problem.

BUT,

when i'm trying this test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php#whitetest.png

the first drawing is gray and the rest of them are pink..
Is there something wrong with my monitor?

Can you take a look at the viewing angle test I linked and see what you get? Is the grey on one side a bit pinker and the words a bit pinker as well?

If you have problems finding it, I've found my repost of it on OcUK forums along with a link to LutManager (as their website seems to be down at the moment)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12526623&postcount=302

Hey Phil,

Appreciate you posting that link as I found the HP icc in this thread first and then found the LUT Manager at overclockers.co.uk.

With the .icc profile loaded the reds aren't so oversaturated but it seems some of the other colors became more lost some color so I adjusted a couple of things and now the monitor looks great. That .icc profile cut down on some tweaking time which is all for the better until I get a eye one display LT.

The text is still bothering me a bit but I have it's much easier on the eyes with the color adjustments.

Glad I could be of help. Re: text, have you used the cleartype tuner, and tried some of the registry tweaks others have posted?

I've been using the cleartype tuner but it only helped so much. I've also tried different fonts hoping that I could hit on one that looked fine. Also it seems that contrast/brightness somewhat affects the halo some of these letters have but I have the brightness at 15 and the contrast should be at default.

I'll look into the registry tweaks but I'll have to do it when I get home from work. It's good to know there is this much support for this monitor here. Hopefully I won't have to return it for another since but since I do programming the text needs to be clear.

I just received my monitor yesterday and I am getting the green/pink problem that some people have been reporting.

Looking at the monitor the left side has a noticably greenish hue while the right is more pinkish. This is apparent even while browsing when the website has a white background.

A very quick way to test it is to use this viewing angle test. If the monitor color is even the color of the text against the background should be pretty much even. On my lp2475w the text is more legible and pinker and background is noticably pinker on the right side.The left side is a bit greener and it is harder to read the text.

It is not a viewing angle problem and it appears no matter what angle I look at the monitor.

Is this a problem with ALL these monitors or just some? I am thinking of requesting a replacement, but if all the monitors have the same problem then maybe I should get a refund.

Have people who exchanged this monitor got ones that didn't have the issue? Anyone have experiences replacing the monitor in the US to share?

My monitor has a blue gradient going left to right, the right being the most blue. So no, you are not alone with this problem. I'm waiting a little while for the dust, and the back light, to settle while using the time to gather more information before requesting a replacement. While the problem is noticeable I do not find it distracting in normal use, most importantly for me it is consistent so I can compensate if necessary.

You can check the terms of your warranty here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...&cc=uk&prodSeriesId=3648442&prodTypeId=382087

If in doubt call the business support line. In my experience they are more than happy to listen :)

I got my lp2475 today. I calibrated the monitor so it displays good srgb in firefox and photoshop, no problem.

BUT,

when i'm trying this test:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php#whitetest.png

the first drawing is gray and the rest of them are pink..
Is there something wrong with my monitor?

It sounds like your gamma settings are wrong. Specifically the slope relating to one or more of the colors is out of alignment with respect to the remaining RG or B slopes. Try adjusting your monitor using the gray scale test at:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_gradient.htm

You can also use the test at Lagom but be aware that the gradient is not as even as it could be so you may notice an effect similar to very mild banding.

Hey Phil,
The text is still bothering me a bit but I have it's much easier on the eyes with the color adjustments.

I could not get satisfactory results using the ClearType tuner and ended up doing things the hard way. See if the second link in this post is of any help :
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=12564198&postcount=385

Despite my initial reservations I understand it works fine under Vista . A value of 1750 decimal works for my eyes, ymmv. Remember, a re-boot is needed for the changes to take effect :)

Edit: Corrected Gradient link

this is shit..
why can't they just deliver a reasonably good calibrated monitor. :mad:
I'm a webdesigner and I just can't live with these grey colors looking pink.
I just ordered myselve a Datacolor spyder 3 pro and I hope i can fix it. Else the monitor is going back to the store.
Keep you informed.

this is shit..
I just ordered myselve a Datacolor spyder 3 pro and I hope i can fix it. Else the monitor is going back to the store.
Keep you informed.

Be happy if you can get one that's even but just uncalibrated. What's more frustrating is when the color isn't consistent on one side compared to the other. No amount of calibration is going to resolve that issue.

I was bored so if anyone wishes to mess around with their ClearType settings give this a try.
Settings are applied in real time so no need to reboot. Registry is updated so changes should survive a reboot.

The 1000 to 2200 range is suggested by M$, I've limited the ^ and v to 0...10000 and seen no ill effects. Values up to 65535 can be entered in the edit field, again I've seen no ill effects.

Exe size 398336 Bytes. Supplied as is. Use at own risk. Tested under XP SP3, Vista compatibility unknown :eek:

ecatClearTypeUtility.gif

http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Apps/ClearTypeUtil.zip

this is shit..
Keep you informed.

Forgive my curiosity. Why did your order this calibration kit, not a different one?

this is shit..
Keep you informed.

Weird, I looked at that picture you linked and all mine were gray.

Maybe my eyes are just weird.

I was bored so if anyone wishes to mess around with their ClearType settings give this a try.
Settings are applied in real time so no need to reboot. Registry is updated so changes should survive a reboot.

The 1000 to 2200 range is suggested by M$, I've limited the ^ and v to 0...10000 and seen no ill effects. Values up to 65535 can be entered in the edit field, again I've seen no ill effects.

Exe size 398336 Bytes. Supplied as is. Use at own risk. Tested under XP SP3, Vista compatibility unknown :eek:

ecatClearTypeUtility.gif

http://www.i2net.me.uk/files/Apps/ClearTypeUtil.zip

I was messing around with the program and found that even with inputting different values it seems that text looks better without "Font Smoothing" checked. When I check font smoothing it looks like the letters do a slight shift right and bolds the letters a tad but adds a slight fuzziness to them. When not using the font smoothing option fonts don't give me that fuzzy look anymore. I'll try the different options on the w2207 and see results I get but that would have to be tommorrow.

Anyone else want to test their monitor without the "Font Smoothing" option on?

Back