HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Just got my HP LP2475w! Finally!

Very nice monitor. First off, I have no issues with the text. It seems very clear to me and even clearer than my Samsung Syncmaster 245BW. Colors appear a little saturated but vibrant none the less, which is nothing a bit of calibration won't fix I'm sure. Also, my grays do not appear pink at all, nor do I see any greenish or pinkish tints on other parts of the monitor.

I played Crysis Warhead and noticed no input lag whatsoever. Same with STALKER: Clear Sky. No ghosting. The black levels are very good to me, better than the 245BW for sure. Almost no backlight bleed at all. I really like the menu layout and appearance too. USB ports to boot never hurt anyone either. What is also nice to have is the vast number of inputs.

Now, the only issues I have noticed is that on the very right of the screen, colors seem to have a cooler temperature than the rest of the panel. On the very left of the screen, colors seem to have a slightly higher temperature, though I think it is less of a difference than from the middle to the right. So on a white background, the very right of the screen appears slightly darker than the middle section.

I assume that this is the what is described as the color shift issue that people in this thread have been mentioning? I suppose I can live with it as long as it's not because it's a defect.

Has anyone had any luck mitigating or lessening the effects of this color shift?

Hmm I think after looking at it more you are right. I think it's probably just slightly dimmer than the rest of the panel. Same thing on the other side but not as big an area.

You have the same thing on yours?

OK, I just breezed through 234223 posts in this thread and I'm still up in the air.

Do I go for the HP LP2475w or the Dell 2048WFP?

I've had my eye on the Dell for months now and I'm finally ready to buy. But just yesterday I learned about all the different LCD technologies that I wasn't even aware of.

And after reading about the LP2475w on a few sites, I was led to believe that it has better LCD technology than the Dell (I can't think of the terms right now, but you gurus will know what I'm talking about).

But then I start reading at the comments here. Many are picking apart the LP2475w and a number of them are praising it.

I'd been eyeing the Dell all this time because after reading several "professional" reviews, I concluded it was the best out there (for the money anway).

But now I'm not so sure....

I almost never play games. I own a few, but I'm not a gamer. I spend most of my time surfing the web and reading email (but not from within a browser - actual "old school" email software). And I do some periodic photo editing (usually in the GIMP). I do run some office apps on occasion but not very often.

And I spend about equal amounts of time in Linux and Windows Vista.

With the exception of the size, I've been very happy with my 19" ViewSonic VP191s that I've had for about 4 years now. If there was anything "wrong" with it, I've not noticed.

So then... based on all of the above.. can anyone give me some guidance?

As I said I just got mine yesterday and the text issue is non existent to me. I just think it depends on how picky you are with your LCDs. The only thing I had was the issue with the right side of the screen being a little darker on the very end. But this morning the issue seems less apparent than it was yesterday... I know some people talk about how the panels have to 'set in' so I don't know if this is what mine is in the process of doing or not, whatever exactly that may be but overall I am happy with the monitor.

I think if you get one of these you will be too.

As I said I just got mine yesterday and the text issue is non existent to me. I just think it depends on how picky you are with your LCDs. The only thing I had was the issue with the right side of the screen being a little darker on the very end. But this morning the issue seems less apparent than it was yesterday... I know some people talk about how the panels have to 'set in' so I don't know if this is what mine is in the process of doing or not, whatever exactly that may be but overall I am happy with the monitor.

I think if you get one of these you will be too.

I don't know how picky I am... but all I can say is that the previously mentioned monitor that I'm using how has been seemingly fine (save for the 19" size). I've found no problems with it whatsoever. To me the display is great.

But perhaps someone else would look at it and find something wrong that I'm not noticing......

With the exception of the size, I've been very happy with my 19" ViewSonic VP191s that I've had for about 4 years now. If there was anything "wrong" with it, I've not noticed.
I think I can help you as I used a VP191b (same monitor but black instead of silver) for 3 years at work. It's based on P-MVA technology. The downsides that always bugged me were the gamma shifting from wide angles and input lag (older model >30ms). You obviously aren't bothered by the gamma shifting so I'd say MVA/PVA (2408 uses this too) are fine purchases and usually cheaper. You say you don't game so input lag shouldn't be a big concern, but there are reports of the 2408 having 50ms+ which is noticable even in moving your mouse and typing.

Between the 2408WFP and LP2475w it really comes down to whether you think an extra $100 is worth avoiding issues you don't seem to mind. Most other aspects (inputs, usb hub, stand, wide gamut, etc) are comparable. If you have any way of previewing the monitors at a store you definitely should, or at least seeing an IPS panel to compare with your current one.

Is the temperature actually different or is it just dimmer?
It is dimmer on the right-hand side, but the colour difference is also very noticeable, to me at least - I've seen three of them now, all from different suppliers, and they all exhibit the same characteristic.

Whether the left/right green/pink cast is a secondary effect of the uneven backlighting, or whether it's an unrelated artefact, I couldn't say. The first one I saw has now been running for about ten hours a day for two weeks, and I don't feel it's changed much if at all in that time, either for the better or worse.

I'm pretty certain it's a "feature" of this model and, if it bothers you as much as it does me, you'd have to look elsewhere.

Well I can't return it just because I don't like it. That's the store policy so I'm stuck with it either way.

As I said, it seems like the effect is less this morning than yesterday.

Also, I don't have any of the pink or green tints that people speak of. Or at least, I really can't notice any.

So the dimmer sides are caused by panel un-uniformity problems?

angrykeyboarder, you might consider this. I also had hoped to buy the Dell 2408 when it first came out and the professional reviews were positive. But those reviews don't always test for "input lag". Now input lag is mainly important to gamers, but there are many posts in the Dell forums were people felt the mouse cursor lag was unacceptable for just normal computing. Then Dell started releasing new firmware models called revision A01. All shipping monitors were supposed to have the new firmware starting in July. But there are still posters that have received revision A00 in September. Revision A01 improved input lag and text sharpness, but it's still a crap shoot regarding which revision you'll receive. As for me, I've decided to forget the Dell monitor. I will probably buy the HP.

But you may be just as happy with your basic TN panel monitor. They typically have sharp text and reasonable input lag. They also cost less. The BenQ V2400W would be a good choice.

But you may be just as happy with your basic TN panel monitor. They typically have sharp text and reasonable input lag. They also cost less. The BenQ V2400W would be a good choice.

I've read that is true if one were going to get a 19" model, but when going to 24" or larger,there is a noticeable difference.

Oh and the BenQ V2400W doesn't rotate, or pivot and has no height adjustment.

I dunno....

I find it hard to judge seeing monitors in person because they rarely have a realistic picture. They are generally set too bright and often times you're just seeing slideshows and not "real world" pictures (like a regular Windows desktop, for instance).

Oh...one thing I forgot to mention....

I also watch DVDs on my computer.

Between the 2408WFP and LP2475w it really comes down to whether you think an extra $100 is worth avoiding issues you don't seem to mind. Most other aspects (inputs, usb hub, stand, wide gamut, etc) are comparable. If you have any way of previewing the monitors at a store you definitely should, or at least seeing an IPS panel to compare with your current one.

As of this writhig the price difference is only $11.00 thanks to a sale Dell is having at the moment. The Dell is $623.00 (free shipping, $44.00 tax). The HP is $635.00 at Buy.com (free shipping, no sales tax).

All things being equal I find the Dell to be more physically attractive.

On the other hand, I prefer the look of HP's on screen controls. They appear to be very similar on this one to that of the L1925. I bought that one for my Mom a few years ago (I got a very good deal at thie time) and I was quite impressed with it.

But I dunno... the LP2475w sounds like it has a better quality panel than the 2408WFP (but then some here find fault with it too).

I wish CNet/PCWorld/PCMag would review the LP2475w. That would probably sway my decision at this point.

As of this writhig the price difference is only $11.00 thanks to a sale Dell is having at the moment. The Dell is $623.00 (free shipping, $44.00 tax). The HP is $635.00 at Buy.com (free shipping, no sales tax).
I was going by a promotion on Dell's website that brings the 2408 to $579 for home buyers, a much more substantial savings. Does your Buy.com price reflect their seemingly-perpetual 5% off coupon?

I wouldn't really worry about the OSD in this choice. You'll really only mess with it the first week you have the monitor, and if you need to change inputs both have a dedicated button.

All things being equal I find the Dell to be more physically attractive.

On the other hand, I prefer the look of HP's on screen controls. They appear to be very similar on this one to that of the L1925. I bought that one for my Mom a few years ago (I got a very good deal at thie time) and I was quite impressed with it.

But I dunno... the LP2475w sounds like it has a better quality panel than the 2408WFP (but then some here find fault with it too).

I wish CNet/PCWorld/PCMag would review the LP2475w. That would probably sway my decision at this point.

Get the HP, I've been in the position of having the Dell 2408, Hazro HZ24W and HZ24Wi and the HP lp2475w. The HP is almost the best, just being beaten by the original (non glossy) HZ24W). The Dell was an absolute nightmare, really bad uniformity, horrendous lag (not even a gamer particularly, this was just in desktop use :eek:).

I was going by a promotion on Dell's website that brings the 2408 to $579 for home buyers, a much more substantial savings. Does your Buy.com price reflect their seemingly-perpetual 5% off coupon?

Dell: $579.00 + $44.00 tax = $623.00. Same promo here.

No 5% discount @ Buy.com. I've bought from them a number of times and I've never come across such a discount.. :(

Get the HP, I've been in the position of having the Dell 2408, Hazro HZ24W and HZ24Wi and the HP lp2475w. The HP is almost the best, just being beaten by the original (non glossy) HZ24W). The Dell was an absolute nightmare, really bad uniformity, horrendous lag (not even a gamer particularly, this was just in desktop use :eek:).

Thanks. I'm still up in the air (as not everyone has had your experience with the Dell) but I'm leaning toward the HP.

US always whining, cheaper stuff, better pay.....and always whining about prices.....geeze.

$876 in Croatia, from some shady retailers. $941 from someone you can trust.

That's actually kinda cheap, and for some reason, even cheaper than the Dell 2408.

But I prefer free actually... :D

Anyway, I took a trip to Best Buy to look at some screens. There was a wall of screens flipping between some nature images, but really struck me was how dull, washed out, and ugly they looked, as if that cellophane looking layer over the image was blocking everything. Then I switched over to the screens attached to desktops, and everything changed. Even though they were all attached to the same TN panels with the same terrible viewing angles as the ones on the wall before, they had gloss on them and man did that make such a night and day difference. You could tell that the panel behind the gloss was crap, as some of the bigger panels had some glaring contrast changes near the top and bottom when looking at them point blank, but the image looked so much better than all the other monitors. I also went to Office Max and I think they had some non-TN panels on display, but they looked exceptionally drab since they had no gloss.

My biggest find was when I went to the Apple corner at Best Buy and the 24" iiMac, which people have been saying is IPS, blew me away. The blacks were very dark and everything was very uniform, bright, colorful, and just perfect. The thing is, it has gloss too. The 20" iMac next to it definitely had a TN panel, but the blacks were just as dark as the 24" iMac and the picture looked just as good, ignoring any contrast and color changes that appeared. It was also glossy.

I think I really like gloss, but I am not sure. I have only seen one IPS screen before, on a laptop, and it had gloss. Now the 24" iMac wowed me, and it is IPS with gloss. So if I actually decided to shell out the franklins for the LP2475w, which does NOT have gloss, would that be a big mistake?

And more importantly, which would you like better, if you weren't a professional who needed accurate colors, deciding between the lp2475w and the 24" iMac? Does the gloss make a night and day difference to you to? Or is it just me?

I also get the vibe that all the frequent posters here passionately hate glossy. :eek: But I don't understand sometimes.

No 5% discount @ Buy.com. I've bought from them a number of times and I've never come across such a discount.. :(
http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074
I used that to bring it from $650 to $635 ($15 max savings), you could get it for $620 because the base price has dropped. Since there would be no price difference at that point I can't see any reason to go with the Dell unless you really like the aesthetics..

silverwolf0: Gloss is fine if you set it up in an area with no bright reflections. Unfortunately that's not usually the case, and the only remedy is to either crank up the brightness to overpower them or go with anti-glare matte coating.

I must say, I like glossy - my old LCD1770GX was glossy, and cost a premium price at the time because glossy desktop monitors were so rare. I personally think it makes things look better, and - though I'm not sure about this - it might be better than matte in some lighting environments, since this new matte screen sometimes has an annoying glare from a nearby skylight.

When I got my LP2475w, I wasn't immediately struck by a huge increase in picture quality versus my LCD1770GX, which did surprise me, but I don't think it looks significantly less vibrant either. Maybe a glossy coat on a TN compensate for the loss of vibrancy that you can get with a good high-end panel?

So does anyone else have their panels slightly less bright on the right side? Or is it just me.

Really, it seems like the right side is slightly dimmer, and the left is even more slightly brighter.

So does anyone else have their panels slightly less bright on the right side? Or is it just me.

Really, it seems like the right side is slightly dimmer, and the left is even more slightly brighter.

Here is another example of why I've been hesitant to go for this monitor.

But then..is there such think as the "perfect" monitor for less than $800.00?

Well yeah.. the ViewSonic VP191s I'm using now has a great picture. I've never had any problem with it at all. But it's just to small in this day and age.

http://www.buy.com/retail/coupon.asp?prid=84773074
I used that to bring it from $650 to $635 ($15 max savings), you could get it for $620 because the base price has dropped. Since there would be no price difference at that point I can't see any reason to go with the Dell unless you really like the aesthetics..

I've pretty much decided on the HP at this point. How did you come across that discount?

I must say, I like glossy - my old LCD1770GX was glossy, and cost a premium price at the time because glossy desktop monitors were so rare. I personally think it makes things look better, and - though I'm not sure about this - it might be better than matte in some lighting environments, since this new matte screen sometimes has an annoying glare from a nearby skylight.

When I first walk up to a glossy LCD in a store I'm almost always impressed. The "home" user HP models in particular look great (not to mention the great looking exterior designs as well). The color just pops out at you.

But after careful inspection I notice the glare and it's annoying. That's the whole reason anti-glare displays came about.

I frankly think the glare on a glossy LCD is worse than that of a CRT. And every home or office setup I've been in has had a source of glare. In the case of CRTs, I've had anti-glare screens over them in the past.

So I'll stick with the matte finish LCDs.

But I prefer free actually... :D

Anyway, I took a trip to Best Buy to look at some screens. There was a wall of screens flipping between some nature images, but really struck me was how dull, washed out, and ugly they looked, as if that cellophane looking layer over the image was blocking everything. Then I switched over to the screens attached to desktops, and everything changed.

That's part of ths suckiness of shopping for a monitor. Most stores do just what Best Buy does. This is a horrible way to get an idea of how they look in the real world.

The last monitor I bought was completely sight unseen (an HP L1925 for my Mom) and I was very happy with it.

And that looks like what I'll be doing with the LP2475w as no local retailer carries it in my area (it's a "business" model anyway).

Here is another example of why I've been hesitant to go for this monitor.

But then..is there such think as the "perfect" monitor for less than $800.00?

Well yeah.. the ViewSonic VP191s I'm using now has a great picture. I've never had any problem with it at all. But it's just to small in this day and age.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great monitor. It just seems that the brightness is not completely uniform. Even in the TFTCentral review they mentioned that the sides of the screen are slightly off than the rest of the screen. I just want to know if others on this forum are seeing anything similar.

But yeah you are absolutely right I think. A small thing like this is probably not worth getting excited over because there just isn't a perfect monitor above a certain price point. In movies/games/pictures it's totally not noticeable either. It's only slightly noticeable on some solid color backgrounds, mostly whites.

How did you come across that discount?
I searched google for "Buy.com coupons" before I bought mine :)
Don't get me wrong, it's a great monitor. It just seems that the brightness is not completely uniform. Even in the TFTCentral review they mentioned that the sides of the screen are slightly off than the rest of the screen. I just want to know if others on this forum are seeing anything similar.
How far in is it extending on yours? Mine's certainly not absolutely uniform but unless I look carefully at solid white I don't see anything.

It's not that far extending, like I said, pretty much only on the far right, and more near the top.

Here's a screenshot of mine though I think the camera might exaggerate it slightly:

It sort of looks like yours. I dunno. I think I'm just being paranoid :S

What do you think of the picture? I only really notice this when I'm doing office stuff or programming where most of the screen is on a white background.

I think the green light threw off your camera's white balance :p Doesn't look drastically different from mine, you should be able to ignore it. Could always switch your text windows to be white on black?

Lol, yea the white isn't really white there, but you get the idea.

I know it's very minor and it looks like yours has something similar, though sometimes it's hard to tell through cameras...

I doubt I would even be able to return it to HP for a knitpick like this and if I did I might get another panel with the same problem or worse so I guess I will just ignore it. Besides I'm sure if I pick apart my Samsung 245BW I will find a heck of a lot more things wrong with that panel. I know brightness uniformity is different from panel to panel and that finding a completely uniform panel is practically non-existant... at least in these price ranges.

Could some one please measure how high the top of this monitor is when adjusted to full stand height?

Also, has anyone been able to compare this to a BenQ G/V2400W(D)? Is it noticeably better and is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks

Back