HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

After having a look to aramando's pics, where colour shift is evident, I must say that my HP-LP2475w doesn't have any of this problems. I can't see any change of color from left to right in mine. So if in your monitors there is a similar colour shift, directly noticiable, even if it is less than the one on aramando's pics, SEND THE MONITOR BAK, THIS IS NOT NORMAL. You can not keep a display that has such a variation of colour (have a look at the grey and even blue iexplorer bars of aramando's post)
Concerning the pics, only Aramando can confirm if such a huge color variation in his iexplorer bars is really the same as it shows on the pics, or if it is a problem amplified by the camera, but if his pics are reflecting the reality, his display should be sent back ASAP. And this has nothing to do with calibration.
Regards.

It's worth mentioning at this point that my photos only showed that there is a gradient, but didn't exactly *look* like what I was seeing. I don't know why, I used a pretty expensive DSLR to take the pictures, but I couldn't get them looking all that representative. In some ways they exaggerated the problem, in others not. The main thing was that they made it look like it was the left end that was too blue, but it was definitely the right end looking too pink.

Anyway, I could see it all too easily on pale backgrounds, and I've sent the screen back. I hope other people are happy with their LP2475Ws, as I would have been without that problem. I've decided not to risk another one because it sounds like all too common a problem, and I can't afford (time, hassle, money) to keep sending them to and fro until I get one I'm happy with. I've decided to sell a few old bits and pieces and trade up instead.

NOW... who in Europe wants to help me persuade those f***wits at NEC to start selling the 2490WUXi here?

Powerstrip. Its a tool where you can adjust about anything graphics card related, like overclocking, colors, custom refresh rates, all kinds nifty settings to adjust (and screw up in the process if you dont know what you are doing) etc... Its not free program, though im not sure if there is any time limit on using its demo version. MCW, which I linked, does only one thing so if keeping your calibration forced on is all what you need, this is good and free program for it.

Maza - this MCW - as per your description it looks like it creates a profile of its own? Does it function as a regular LUT loader and is it used instead of LUTManager for example? Or are there two profiles loaded at startup? One in LUTManager and another one in this MCW?

Powerstrip. Its a tool where you can adjust about anything graphics card related, like overclocking, colors, custom refresh rates, all kinds nifty settings to adjust (and screw up in the process if you dont know what you are doing) etc... Its not free program, though im not sure if there is any time limit on using its demo version. MCW, which I linked, does only one thing so if keeping your calibration forced on is all what you need, this is good and free program for it.

Maza - this MCW - as per your description it looks like it creates a profile of its own? Does it function as a regular LUT loader and is it used instead of LUTManager for example? Or are there two profiles loaded at startup? One in LUTManager and another one in this MCW? :confused:

Just wondering in this price range, is this one of the "best" 24" you can get today? Am looking to buy a new LCD screen, and am tempted to buy this one. I currently have an NEC 2070NX which is starting to deteriorate. Thing's get very easy "burned" into the screen, like if i have a webpage up long enough and close it, you can still see it on the desktop. Getting a bit annoying.

I don't think am very picky when it comes to displays. I've only had two LCD screens for my pc so far, and the first one was a NEC 1760NX or something, and then what i have now, the NEC 2070NX. Been happy with both.

Just wondering in this price range, is this one of the "best" 24" you can get today? Am looking to buy a new LCD screen, and am tempted to buy this one. I currently have an NEC 2070NX which is starting to deteriorate. Thing's get very easy "burned" into the screen, like if i have a webpage up long enough and close it, you can still see it on the desktop. Getting a bit annoying.

I don't think am very picky when it comes to displays. I've only had two LCD screens for my pc so far, and the first one was a NEC 1760NX or something, and then what i have now, the NEC 2070NX. Been happy with both.

You really should buy it from a place you would be able to get a refund and have a look for yourself ;)

Yea of course, that would be the best. But i was just looking for, what in general, people was thinking about this display. And yea, this whole thread is probably full of opinions, but this thread is getting pretty long, so it is getting hard to find any good info/review among all the posts.

The problem with this monitor is it's wide gamut and if you do not have a hardware calibrator it is very difficult to set it to some decent colors. I am still not able to lessen the saturation of some red and green tones. Does anybody have the same issue? Does someone know what should I do to fix it without hardware calibration?

The problem with this monitor is it's wide gamut and if you do not have a hardware calibrator it is very difficult to set it to some decent colors. I am still not able to lessen the saturation of some red and green tones. Does anybody have the same issue? Does someone know what should I do to fix it without hardware calibration?
Hardware calibration is not going to reduce the spectrum it displays, only make what it shows more accurately represent what it should be. To solve your "problem" you need color aware applications that correct what they're feeding the graphics card.

Nitrius, it seems split. Some people aren't expecting what they got in the wide gamut, others seem to have bad luck getting defective samples, still more may or may not be seeing problems as more severe, and the rest are perfectly content for the price.

Hardware calibration is not going to reduce the spectrum it displays, only make what it shows more accurately represent what it should be. To solve your "problem" you need color aware applications that correct what they're feeding the graphics card.

Hi, well I see the very bright colors in Nikon Capture NX as well and it should be color managed and I have the profile loaded into LUT of the graphic card at the start-up of the PC. Would taking the photos in Adobe RGB help to make some colors look less bright, more accurate to what they have been in the real scene?

There is also Color Saturation and Color Tint option in the color menu of this LCD but both are faded out. Would someone know why?

Hi, well I see the very bright colors in Nikon Capture NX as well and it should be color managed and I have the profile loaded into LUT of the graphic card at the start-up of the PC. Would taking the photos in Adobe RGB help to make some colors look less bright, more accurate to what they have been in the real scene?
It sounds like that software either isn't color managed or you haven't enabled the option, also make sure the camera is properly tagging the color space into images, otherwise you need to edit that. Creating the source image in the profile your monitor displays may not have the effect you're looking for, colors will still be "bright" but they'll be in the correct proportion to what you originally saw.

I don't really see banding on either test, there may be a line about 20 pixels into the dark region of lagom's. I did notice that if you have color management enabled in Firefox there is a ton of banding in the dry creek photo png sample.
The saturation and tint settings are probably for HDMI or component.
Analog inputs only, just like an old style TV would have.

The problem is the Lagom images are tagged for color management, which is bad if you want to test the native capabilities of the monitor.

Use this page instead: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/all_noprofile.php

Any sort of color conversion will cause banding in gradients on a 8-bit monitor. That's why 8 bits is not enough. We need 10-bit and 12-bit monitors for color management to work well.

The problem is the Lagom images are tagged for color management, which is bad if you want to test the native capabilities of the monitor.

Any sort of color conversion will cause banding in gradients on a 8-bit monitor. That's why 8 bits is not enough. We need 10-bit and 12-bit monitors for color management to work well.

ToastyX: Does this mean that anytime I calibrate an 8-bit LCD (does not matter whether just by an eye or with a hardware calibrator) and load the profile to LUT it will display banding in this kind of gradient? I hope I am wrong here.

Be aware however that if you have colour management set to "true" in firefox you will still see banding on these as it assumes that any non-tagged images should be sRGB.

I've just looked at the lagom tests in internet explorer and see no banding whatsoever.

ToastyX: Does this mean that anytime I calibrate an 8-bit LCD (does not matter whether just by an eye or with a hardware calibrator) and load the profile to LUT it will display banding in this kind of gradient? I hope I am wrong here.
If the gradient runs from 0-255 then yes, because the color management will attempt to squeeze the original 256 values into fewer to compensate for the extra color space. Very rarely do you see gradients of this kind in practical use, don't worry about partial gradients because 100 values will fit just fine. If you're making them yourself just use the appropriate color space, unless you're doing web design or something where you know other people will be viewing on standard gamut.

mildante said:
ToastyX: Does this mean that anytime I calibrate an 8-bit LCD (does not matter whether just by an eye or with a hardware calibrator) and load the profile to LUT it will display banding in this kind of gradient?
Yes, but it also depends on the software. I've found that ColorEyes does a very good job of keeping gradients mostly smooth while Eye-One Match is horrible.

This is why high-end monitors have internal lookup tables. They assign the 8-bit colors directly in the monitor itself from a table of 10-bit or 12-bit colors.

Maza - this MCW - as per your description it looks like it creates a profile of its own? Does it function as a regular LUT loader and is it used instead of LUTManager for example? Or are there two profiles loaded at startup? One in LUTManager and another one in this MCW? :confused:

As far as I have understood the function of this program, this doesnt do a thing with ICC files per se, but reads the current color values from graphics cards lut, which you can save as MCW profile (you can create multiple profiles too and switch them on fly). MCW forces those values in the profile to stay put at all times, if persistent profile is checked that is.

I dont know what LUTManager is. If its just ICC profile loader, no there shouldnt be any incompatibility, other than if you try to choose another ICC profile with different colors and you have persistent profile switched on in MCW, MCW interferes and changes LUT values back to what they are in MCW's profile.

Yes, but it also depends on the software. I've found that ColorEyes does a very good job of keeping gradients mostly smooth while Eye-One Match is horrible.

This is why high-end monitors have internal lookup tables. They assign the 8-bit colors directly in the monitor itself from a table of 10-bit or 12-bit colors.

Even that is not a cure all. I still get some minor banding in gradients with my internally calibrated NEC 2490.

People should really stop obsessing about test images designed to bring out the worse, and worry about what bothers them in actual usage (web,games,movies,work etc).

You are not going to find a perfect LCD.

TIME TO VENT. Ok just to let you guys know, if you have a problem with this monitor don't worry about calling HP for support. They don't support this monitor. I just spent 2 hours on the phone getting transferred to different "teams" only to be told that they won't help me because my tower is not an HP! I can't get the drivers for this monitor to install, it says "Windows incountered and error while installing a driver. Access denied. WHAT THE BLOODY HE*L DOES THAT MEAN!? This happens whether or not i load them from the cd. But they couldn't find the time to help me b/c i didn't drop two grand on their s***y computers. :mad: If anyone knows how to fix this please help

TIME TO VENT. Ok just to let you guys know, if you have a problem with this monitor don't worry about calling HP for support. They don't support this monitor. I just spent 2 hours on the phone getting transferred to different "teams" only to be told that they won't help me because my tower is not an HP! I can't get the drivers for this monitor to install, it says "Windows incountered and error while installing a driver. Access denied. WHAT THE BLOODY HE*L DOES THAT MEAN!? This happens whether or not i load them from the cd. But they couldn't find the time to help me b/c i didn't drop two grand on their s***y computers. :mad: If anyone knows how to fix this please help

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Home.jsp

This is a business monitor so when you're calling their consumer line with CS rep that goes by the guidelines and have zero knowledge, it's a PITA.

I tried to get my HP L2335 monitor RMA'd and was transferred like 3 times until I hung up.

I would register an account on the link I gave you, and open a case, they answer really really fast there, probably within an hour or less really.

Access Denied means exactly what it says, something is denying access. This is often the result of over zealous virus or malware software preventing access to the system folder. Disable any and all Virus, Malware, Spyware, Adware, System protection software and try again.

I called HP business tech. support on Tuesday re: this monitor, it was a pleasure. <shrug>

Hey guys,

I've read a good portion of this thread as well as the one on overclockers UK forums, and I'm thinking about going ahead with this monitor. The only thing that worries me is the text issues some people have, the green and pink tints others have, and the temperature difference across the sides of the screen that yet others have.

Generally, how serious do you guys think these issues are and are they issues that only manifest themselves on defective panels or on all of them? Also, have any Canadians had any luck getting them? Seems that they are not yet listed on the HP Canada site which means I would have to buy from a 3rd party retailer. I guess that's not a big deal since I can still deal with HP directly after that but do they pay for shipping when returning a monitor for repair/replacement? Seems a lot of people are getting lemons and I just want to make sure I have options available in the event that I get one too...

And despite all the problems some people seem to have... would you guys recommend this monitor?

I enjoy accurate colors, and I do web development (so looking at text, images), as well as lots of gaming and movies.

Thanks... LCD buying is so hard!

Yea of course, that would be the best. But i was just looking for, what in general, people was thinking about this display. And yea, this whole thread is probably full of opinions, but this thread is getting pretty long, so it is getting hard to find any good info/review among all the posts.

Hey guys,

I've read a good portion of this thread as well as the one on overclockers UK forums, and I'm thinking about going ahead with this monitor. The only thing that worries me is the text issues some people have, the green and pink tints others have, and the temperature difference across the sides of the screen that yet others have.

Generally, how serious do you guys think these issues are and are they issues that only manifest themselves on defective panels or on all of them? Also, have any Canadians had any luck getting them? Seems that they are not yet listed on the HP Canada site which means I would have to buy from a 3rd party retailer. I guess that's not a big deal since I can still deal with HP directly after that but do they pay for shipping when returning a monitor for repair/replacement? Seems a lot of people are getting lemons and I just want to make sure I have options available in the event that I get one too...

And despite all the problems some people seem to have... would you guys recommend this monitor?

I enjoy accurate colors, and I do web development (so looking at text, images), as well as lots of gaming and movies.

Thanks... LCD buying is so hard!

Hey guys IMHO this is actually a stunning screen. It really only has one problem, the text. This is the reason I now am 99% sure I'm sending it back (have to decide this weekend) I don't believe there is anything wrong with my sample but to be fair, as you can read in previous posts there is different opinions on the text. Some don't find it a problem. That’s why I would urge you to have a look for yourself.

I would hate to see it go because it excels in every other aspect.

Wide gamut doesn’t represent any real life problem provided you owne an ATI card as you can see in my previous posts. But I’m not really the guy to ask if this screen qualifies for color critical work

It’s a fantastic gaming screen. It has no noticeable ghosting and what I was most afraid about this screen was the input lag and its effect on fast paced online gaming. But I have to be fair and say. I really don’t feel it anymore and I have lost no skill or edge in comparison to my crt when playing online.

I can't comment on the defects you mention as mine doesn't seem to suffer from any of these..

And yeah LCD buying is pure Hell…. I believe this is my 9th screen..I forget…

Yeah, except this monitor is not available in any local stores. So I can only go with what I see on the web.

I have a Samsung 245BW and when I look at some text closely on that monitor, I see little redish colors around it. Other text is fine. I wonder if the issue is something similar to that.

The other choices I have been considering is the Dell 2709W and the NEC 2490WXUi. But both are really expensive and I'd rather not pay that much for a monitor. I think the Dell 2709W has pretty bad input lag as well, not to mention it might end up being too big. The pixel pitch is really high too.

I've read that some users have managed to fix the text issue, or at least mitigate its effects on the HP 2475w by fiddling with ClearType or adjusting gamma settings. Have you tried that?

Thank you all for your advices. I really appreciate them.

If I decide to go the hardware calibration road which hardware calibrator should I get to calibrate this wide-gamut beast? Should I take the GretagMacbeth Eye One Display 2 (is it Pantone now?) or rather the Spyder 3 Pro? Is the neccessary software bundled with these? I just need something that will work well and will not have problem with the wide-gamut.

Thank you all for your advices. I really appreciate them.

If I decide to go the hardware calibration road which hardware calibrator should I get to calibrate this wide-gamut beast? Should I take the GretagMacbeth Eye One Display 2 (is it Pantone now?) or rather the Spyder 3 Pro? Is the neccessary software bundled with these? I just need something that will work well and will not have problem with the wide-gamut.

Eye One Display 2 is seemingly held in higher regard by most people than the Spyder (and it's owned by X-Rite now, but who the hell can keep up!). You can opt for the cut-down version which is the LT, but you lose out on a few things like fully customisable white point or gamma settings and matrix profiles - but you save a load of cash too.

Eye One Display 2 is seemingly held in higher regard by most people than the Spyder (and it's owned by X-Rite now, but who the hell can keep up!). You can opt for the cut-down version which is the LT, but you lose out on a few things like fully customisable white point or gamma settings and matrix profiles - but you save a load of cash too.

Will the Eye One Display 2 LT manage this wide-gamut LCD? I have read in this thread here (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1308888&page=3) that the Spyder 3 is probably better when it comes to calibrating wide-gamut LCD's.

Where have people been buying this monitor from? Direct from HP is rather pricey, as its 650 + tax + shipping in California. I'm leaning towards PC Connection since they do not charge tax in CA but their return policy doesn't look all that great, although if HP has a good warranty I shouldn't worry too much. Anywhere else worth looking?

I had this problem. This fixed it.

Lag doesn't really fluctuate like that. The stopwatch method is not precise enough to determine where the two monitors are updating, and mirroring through the video card is not guaranteed to be perfectly synchronized. Based on what people have said here, I'd say the lag is probably somewhere between 1-2 frames and not more than that.

Oh. Well thats acceptable then.

Also what caught my eye were the deltae results in sRGB color space. Prad didnt seem to get them very low, (especially green and cyan) where TFT Central and some users here got their dE's incredible low. I presume the latter ones were actually aRGB results and not sRGB?

I ordered mine yesterday afternoon. I'll probably get it sometime in the middle of the week. Hopefully I won't have some of the issues being described in this thread...

Back