HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Is it possible to get accurate colors with ATI's catalyst control center? I can adjust gamma curves, saturation and hue.

No.
With Catalist you can roughly diminish saturation and so on. Unacceptable for photo quality. It's OK for games, where color accuracy is not important.
Videocard has no control over HD. But blu-ray players may have their own "catalists". It helps to some extent.

You can get accurate colors after calibrating HP 2475w. But that "accuracy" will be applicable to wide gamut content only (~5% of all available to display). To get accurate colors for the rest 95% you''ll need to go through further complications and limitations in the form of "color aware" applications (photoshop. browsers, etc.) with no 100% guarantee.

Why do we have to go through all that?
Because manufacturers want so.
Because an ultimate standard gamut H-IPS A-TW monitor costs about $1350, while the HP 2475w - about $900 - 33% less expensive (monitor+calibration kit+tax+shipping).
Many prefer to buy the monitor which is 33% less expensive, than the one which is 50% more expensive.

Even in the future, when wide gamut content becomes standard, the problem remains (less massive though). Not for those born today (playing teens with no history and no memory are safe!), but for those born yesterday.
My family photo archive is standard gamut and will remain so.
As long as it exists I'll need an ultimate standard gamut capable monitor.

Why do we have to go through all that?
Because manufacturers want so.

Well, I don't think they're trying to "cripple" cheaper monitors by making them high gamut (besides, the LP2475w is the best HP sell in a 24"?), but rather that it's all about big numbers - boasting that you have a wider gamut than the competition gives you something to advertise. In monitors, the big number used to be the response rate, but now they're pretty much 8ms or less, they need something else.

Of course, wide gamut is a useful feature - provided the monitor can display sRGB images correctly, which is obviously the issue.

Even in the future, when wide gamut content becomes standard, the problem remains (less massive though). Not for those born today (playing teens with no history and no memory are safe!), but for those born yesterday.
My family photo archive is standard gamut and will remain so.
As long as it exists I'll need an ultimate standard gamut capable monitor.

Rather than always having a standard-gamut monitor, wouldn't an easier answer be to get a color-managed photo viewer? Then all of your family photos, which are in sRGB, would be displayed correctly on a non-sRGB monitor.
Perhaps I'm not understanding something, though? This color-gamut soup is new to me.

Part of the technical problem there is you're trying to cram both color spaces into 8 bits of data per channel. If you already have sRGB using all 256 shades available then something else comes along with 50% more colors but still only fits into those 8 bits, then trying to replicate the smaller profile inside the larger one will result in inaccuracy and/or dithering when not at an integer ratio (not to mention the larger one have more noticeable gradation). The solution is to use 10/12/16 bits per channel to losslessly widen the gamut, but this is prohibitively expensive and difficult to do on current technology.

For the increases we're seeing now (10-20%) it's not so much of an issue, especially if you calibrate for one or the other and can freely change. The human eye can only see so much more than what monitors are starting to display anyway, but I'm sure someone will have exact numbers on this.

Part of the technical problem there is you're trying to cram both color spaces into 8 bits of data per channel. If you already have sRGB using all 256 shades available then something else comes along with 50% more colors but still only fits into those 8 bits, then trying to replicate the smaller profile inside the larger one will result in inaccuracy and/or dithering when not at an integer ratio (not to mention the larger one have more noticeable gradation). The solution is to use 10/12/16 bits per channel to losslessly widen the gamut, but this is prohibitively expensive and difficult to do on current technology.

For the increases we're seeing now (10-20%) it's not so much of an issue, especially if you calibrate for one or the other and can freely change. The human eye can only see so much more than what monitors are starting to display anyway, but I'm sure someone will have exact numbers on this.

This bits per channel malarkey is why DisplayPort adoption needs to speed up as it supports a bit-depth of up to 16bits per component (RGB)

Rather than always having a standard-gamut monitor, wouldn't an easier answer be to get a color-managed photo viewer? Then all of your family photos, which are in sRGB, would be displayed correctly on a non-sRGB monitor.
Perhaps I'm not understanding something, though? This color-gamut soup is new to me.

No the easy answer is standard gamut, since EVERYTHING is standard gamut (sRGB). Having some applications display colors correctly and some not is only going to make the experience more annoying. You would almost be better off looking at everything in wide gamut as you might get used to it if you aren't to sensitive. But then when you see normal gamut it will look dull to you, not because it is, but because you got used to hyped up colors.

For now a standard gamut monitor is a much better choice. I have a new Nec sRGB LCD with 4 year warranty. I hope this is satisfactorily resolved when I need a new monitor in 4 or 5 years. I probably will be for new applications and games, but even then the old stuff might not display correctly.

But for today you can save a lot a grief by going sRGB, which I did after a painful experience with a Dell 3007-HC.

OK, I'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy this monitor. But in the US there are starting to be two general price points and two different part numbers. They are:

KD911A4#ABA for around $750 and
KD911A8#ABA for around $620 - $650.

ProVantage lists both of these part numbers (though their pictures are screwed up) with the two different prices.

http://www.provantage.com/hp-compaq-kd911a4-aba~7HPP9335.htm

http://www.provantage.com/hp-compaq-kd911a8-aba~7CMPK0P6.htm

Even Hewlett Packard lists two different prices.

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mi...=ex_r2910_CIGB&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=KD911A4

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/Mi...=2109&BaseId=28075&oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=

Can anyone confirm that these slightly different part numbers are in fact exactly the same monitor? Does one come with a different firmware version? Is there any reason to pay the higher price? Please check your part numbers and firmware if you don't mind. Thanks!

I noticed this too and concluded its only related to promotion. KD911A8#ABA have the title Promo HP LP2475w $100 Smart Buy savings!

Yep, it's been addressed before in this thread, but since it's 45 pages long you can be forgiven for missing it. :) Someone confirmed that it was simply the way HP does promotions; the higher price is for business customers with contract discounts and reps they can haggle with; the lower price is standard consumers like us.

I hope you're correct (and you probably are.) I can see HP perhaps giving their same monitor two different part numbers based on their own distribution line. But I still find this really odd for the retailer to stock two different part numbers with two prices. Take a gander at this. You can buy either one.

http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A90U955

http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A90U855

Now do you really think Sparco is planning on "haggling" on the higher priced monitor? Perhaps these two part numbers have the two different firmware versions? Still wondering.

No, the shader code actually does an aRGB to sRGB conversion using the graphics card. No matter how much you play with the color controls you ain't gonna get that.

Nicholas Cage looks like a corpses on the left side, and looks much livelier on the right.

Anyway could you teach me how to do this tweak ? I saw the link guide before but it is very confusing as to how to setup and how to get the needed values to edit into the settings.

I just got mine from CostCentral Ordered on Tuesday morning, shipped Wednesday from NJ, arrived in NYC on Thursday. So far so good!

I hope you're correct (and you probably are.) I can see HP perhaps giving their same monitor two different part numbers based on their own distribution line. But I still find this really odd for the retailer to stock two different part numbers with two prices. Take a gander at this. You can buy either one.

http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A90U955

http://www.sparco.com/cgi-bin/wfind2?spn=A90U855

Now do you really think Sparco is planning on "haggling" on the higher priced monitor? Perhaps these two part numbers have the two different firmware versions? Still wondering.

I have no inside knowledge from HP; I'm just quoting what has been said elsewhere on the thread:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032979393#post1032979393

But it seems HP has good phone service, so the safest bet is certainly to call them and double-check.

No the easy answer is standard gamut, since EVERYTHING is standard gamut (sRGB). Having some applications display colors correctly and some not is only going to make the experience more annoying. You would almost be better off looking at everything in wide gamut as you might get used to it if you aren't to sensitive. But then when you see normal gamut it will look dull to you, not because it is, but because you got used to hyped up colors.

For now a standard gamut monitor is a much better choice. I have a new Nec sRGB LCD with 4 year warranty. I hope this is satisfactorily resolved when I need a new monitor in 4 or 5 years. I probably will be for new applications and games, but even then the old stuff might not display correctly.

But for today you can save a lot a grief by going sRGB, which I did after a painful experience with a Dell 3007-HC.

I think you missed the context of my post. Albovin was saying that, for as long as his family photos existed, he'd need a standard gamut monitor. So the "easier" reference was in relation to some point in the future, when (hypothetically) standard-gamut monitors are a rarity and everything has gone WG. At that point, it could very well be easier to just use a color-managed photo viewer (iPhoto already is, at least on Mac) instead of tracking down an endangered technological species.

But HotdogStorm points out the error in my statement -- we have a set number of colors that can be sent over the pipe, as a consequence of having only 8 bits to work with. So when trying to display both sRGB's 16.7 million colors and a wider gamut's 16.7 million colors, some colors which don't overlap between the two colorspaces will have to be dithered. But that won't cause hyped-up colors; it will just cause some colors to be ever-so-slightly inaccurate. I assume that it would be similar to the dithering that a 6-bit TN panel does to display 16 million colors, but roughly an order of magnitude less extreme, since it would only dither those colors that didn't overlap.

Whether that's going to be worth getting an sRGB monitor 4 years down the road will be a matter of debate, I'm sure. And I'm already quite confident which side of that debate you'll fall on, Snowdog.

Wow, it looks like Sparco, CostCentral, and PCSuperStore all get their items from the same warehouse. I'm guessing their all part of Erie Computer Company.

PCSuperStore has the best rating on ResllerRatings.com though and Free Shipping on this monitor. Their website also directly says "We are a HP authorized sales and service center." Definitely makes me want to buy from them over the other stores.

I have a Mac using Safari. There is no change in color with test One. In test Five the untagged picture is slightly washed out.

I have not seen any cartoonish faces surfing the web yet.

Hello.

On my monitor - right side of display seems a little bit brighter than left (best seen on white background).
Is it normal for LP2475W? - I`ve heard that some Apple Displays on LG.Philips panels have same thing. Also there is some backlight bleed - but not much.

Regards.

Hello.

On my monitor - right side of display seems a little bit brighter than left (best seen on white background).
Is it normal for LP2475W? - I`ve heard that some Apple Displays on LG.Philips panels have same thing. Also there is some backlight bleed - but not much.

Regards.
I've just taken delivery of one for a work colleague, and the left side is a little brighter than the right. :D There's also a slight colour shift from one side to the other on white or grey backgrounds, as described previously, but nothing too dramatic.

These panels do seem to suffer from questionable QC, so I guess you need to keep returning them until you get a good one, if you have the time and patience to do so.

Make sure you're not confusing backlight bleed with the non-A-TW-polarised IPS white glow - it's noticeable on this one also on a black background, but completely inoffensive in normal use and far, far less distracting than the left-right gamma shift on my Dell 2707WFP (S-PVA panel), which is obvious even to my inexpert eye. IPS for the win here, by a country mile. :)

Just a quick question. I went to the (only) store in my country where they sell the HP, and they only got 2 left (1 in the shop and 1 in storage somewhere else). In the shop we hooked up the available display (here you can't return/replace something after purchase, if the problem is not covered by the warranty) and I tested it for a while (unfortunately it was via D-Sub). I noticed to things - in the upper left corner, there was a red tinted triangle, maybe half an inch or so. Also there was that slight "shadow" across the bottom, covering half the taskbar. The staff monitors there were 22" HPs with none of the problems present... so I refused it and next week I'll test the last one left... the question: could this be due to the fact, that the monitor was still "cold", due to the D-sub connection, or just something else, but not the display itself? Thanks.

And another question, for those that have it: HP sells a quick-release accessory with this monitor, which goes between the monitor and a VESA wall mount. The HP specs also mention a "built-in quick release", so for folks that have the monitor -- does the quick release that's built onto the monitor (that lets you attach the monitor to the stand) look the same as the accessory they're selling? So, for example, if I bought the quick-release accessory, I could move the monitor between a VESA wall mount and it's original stand, perhaps? Kinda convenient for me. Hard to tell from the pictures on TFTCentral or HP's site, though.

Also, I assume that if I put the monitor onto a wall mount, I'd give up the pivot/rotate function -- that's probably built into the stand, not a layer in between the VESA mount and the monitor. But I thought I'd double-check...

Thanks!

Hi everybody, thanks for that great thread, it definitely convinced me to get the LP2475w! Got it Tuesday, and I'm very happy with it (first LCD, my last monitor was a 19" CRT), except for this:

Also, there is a faint vertical bar of about 60 pixels about 25% in from the right side which is lighter/brighter.

One could argue that these are subtle issues, but they are constant, measurable, and human visible.

So, what do y'all see. (Demonstrably, measurably)

I also have that vertical whiter bar on the right side of the monitor.

white_bar.jpg

Anybody else got that? Should that be enough to ask HP for an exchange?

Thanks!!!

Boy, even I can see that vertical bar. That must be a defect. Where did you order your monitor from?

Got it from HP's site directly. Since this is my first LCD I was wondering what were "normal defects" that people live with, like a dead pixel.

That vertical bar is not that apparent in real life (compared to the pic I posted), but now that I noticed it, I can't unsee it :p

I just received mine, no white bar, no color shift, no dead pixels, color seems more natural than vibrant. I'm in preliminary stages...

Edit: to the poster above, HP will exchange for a single dead pixel, no issues are exceptable at this price.

Edit: Perhaps we might exchange this info to discover the source of the problems, as I say above I don't have any: FW: GIG 034, Manufactured: Week 30, 2008

Hmmm you're right scivian, for the price, I should expect to have a perfect monitor! I think I'll contact HP today to exchange it... Thanks for your input!

Hmmm you're right scivian, for the price, I should expect to have a perfect monitor! I think I'll contact HP today to exchange it... Thanks for your input!
Can you help me with my question? "Cant find the option to turn on auto pivot in HP Display Assistant, can someone point me in the right direction?" EDIT: I found it on on the CD. I just downloaded the latest software and didnt even open the CD, my last HP had the pivot software in the display assistant software. But unfortunately the monitor does not allow auto pivot.

And another question, for those that have it: HP sells a quick-release accessory with this monitor, which goes between the monitor and a VESA wall mount. The HP specs also mention a "built-in quick release", so for folks that have the monitor -- does the quick release that's built onto the monitor (that lets you attach the monitor to the stand) look the same as the accessory they're selling? So, for example, if I bought the quick-release accessory, I could move the monitor between a VESA wall mount and it's original stand, perhaps? Kinda convenient for me. Hard to tell from the pictures on TFTCentral or HP's site, though.

Also, I assume that if I put the monitor onto a wall mount, I'd give up the pivot/rotate function -- that's probably built into the stand, not a layer in between the VESA mount and the monitor. But I thought I'd double-check...

Thanks!
The quick release in the picture is whats on the stand. Works very well, and would also do as you suggested.

Can you help me with my question? "Cant find the option to turn on auto pivot in HP Display Assistant, can someone point me in the right direction?"
Haven't seen the option either. I figured it's somewhere in the OS settings?

EDIT: In "information" option from Main Menu on the display itself.
I don't have that, my monitor is already too old!

Just had a thought for people with the colour shift across the screen (I'm starting to see it a little again as the monitor settles in), when I run my hand across the very top of the panel from left to right it's cool on the left, but fairly warm on the right.

Could it be the heat from the built-in transformer causing problems (the transformer is probably on the right of the screen from where the power cable goes in).

My fault, I had them mixed up, its in the display assistant software under options>Asset ID.

Just had a thought for people with the colour shift across the screen (I'm starting to see it a little again as the monitor settles in), when I run my hand across the very top of the panel from left to right it's cool on the left, but fairly warm on the right.

Could it be the heat from the built-in transformer causing problems (the transformer is probably on the right of the screen from where the power cable goes in).
That thought occurred to me, but the shift was there from brand-new and stone-cold, and didn't seem to get worse after the monitor had been on for a couple of hours. It was a sort of pinky-grey on the right, yellowish on the left, although saying it that way overstates the severity of the problem.

The monitor has now been collected by its rightful owner (who thought I was making a fuss over nothing), but I'll keep tabs on it and see if it gets any worse over time.

Many people are obviously perfectly happy, so I'm not sure if it's just manufacturing inconsistency, or it's there in all the panels and some people are just more sensitive to it than others (like other kinds of LCD peculiarities).

I just got mine today. It seems good. Uniformity not perfect on the bottom, but it's more than reasonable. I have one dead sub pixel on the lower left, but it's literraly 3-4 pixels from the edge of the monitor so not a big deal.

So far so good.

Ive found a couple color profiles on this thread and am using Basiccolor, does the software need to be set to load on startup to load the profile? Thanks

I ordered one to replace a Dell 2005FPW which has served me well.

Being in California, I didn't find a better deal than PC Connection @ $630.84 with no tax and free ground shipping. You have to search on the Part number (KD911A8) to find it in their catalog. It's a little disconcerting that it nowhere says "LP2475W", but I've been ordering from PC Connection since 1992 and their customer service has never let me down.

I looked at FuturePowerPC ($642 w/shipping), Provantage ($650), Bottom Line Telecommunications ($660 w/shipping... have ordered CPUs from them in the past), PC Superstore and CostCentral, which are eerily similar ;) (~$673 w/tax), Compsource ($675 w/tax), sparco ($680 w/tax+shipping), and even Penguins Express ($719.6 tax+shipping). Any other vendors that came up in pricegrabber or froogle had higher base prices than $631.

Of course, I paid about $600 for my Dell 2005FPW a few years ago. :p

the pivot software seems to be a separate install on the disc.

"Install Pivot Pro" is second to last option on the list when you do the autorun.

Just got my monitor today and have noticed no issues yet.

EDIT: of course this may not be exactly what you wanted, but Pivot Pro sits in the tray and gives the rotating options when you left click. There are also hot keys for rotating, and a "button" that cycles through the enabled rotated positions. Hope that helps

I ordered one to replace a Dell 2005FPW which has served me well.

Being in California, I didn't find a better deal than PC Connection @ $630.84 with no tax and free ground shipping. You have to search on the Part number (KD911A8) to find it in their catalog. It's a little disconcerting that it nowhere says "LP2475W", but I've been ordering from PC Connection since 1992 and their customer service has never let me down.

I looked at FuturePowerPC ($642 w/shipping), Provantage ($650), Bottom Line Telecommunications ($660 w/shipping... have ordered CPUs from them in the past), PC Superstore and CostCentral, which are eerily similar ;) (~$673 w/tax), Compsource ($675 w/tax), sparco ($680 w/tax+shipping), and even Penguins Express ($719.6 tax+shipping). Any other vendors that came up in pricegrabber or froogle had higher base prices than $631.

Of course, I paid about $600 for my Dell 2005FPW a few years ago. :p

Do they have a good return/exchange policy in case something is wrong with the monitor?

I used i1 display2 calibrator to create and save an icc profile. Does this get loaded automatically at reboot? Or do I need some additional software to do this. Is there a way to display what profile is loaded to confirm it's the one I want? I am running Vista Ultimate 32 -bit and VisionTek HD4850 graphics card with CCC 8.6.
After calibration:
Brightness: 2
Contrast: 100
R: 255
G: 230
B: 231
Luminance: 119.5 cd/m2
Dark point .2 cd/m2
6500K temp
2.2 Gamma

Back