HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

Yup, found out why they say wide gamut is not god for web surfing and general multimedia usage, you get washed out colours on images that don't specify a colour profile whilst those that do appear overly saturated unless it's a wide gamut profile such as adobeRGB.

Now since 99.9% of web content is sRGB and where not specified defaults to sRGB this makes for one heck of an eyesore surfing the net.

Key example is the OCUK forum blue colour, the blue looks faded and washed out even after enabling colour management in Firefox 3. Google's own Google logo looks faded. This is all after calibration BTW with BlueEye Pro getting a dE of 0.3 average and 0.6 max and a Black point of 0.31.

Vista itself however seems to display colours just fine regardless of profile specified or lack of profile in any image.

Hmmm I'm at 2 worlds about this now!

I'm going to keep the Hazro I think, the downsides of having no stand adjustment and also the heat that builds up and slightly worse black point I will put up with as long as my colours are accurate across the board which they are on the Hazro!

I'm really confused. Perhaps I should just buy your standard Best Buy TN panel like the majority of the world does.

Isn't the Hazro monitor also a wide gamut IPS display. Why would web surfing look better on the Hazro than the HP? Also, I thought a well calibrated ICC profile was supposed to make your colors accurate or more pleasing to view regardless of the image source. Is this not true? Does a wide gamut monitor only look good when the source was actually created using a "wide gamut" color space? Does the source still have to provide its own profile even though the monitor has its own ICC?

I'm still using CRT monitors and have avoided TN panels because of their many limitations. I thought I would be happier purchasing a VA or IPS panel for my first LCD. But now I'm scared. I don't want everyday web surfing and game playing to look ugly. Will the HP really look that bad when just doing everyday computing? Please give me your thoughts.

I'm really confused. Perhaps I should just buy your standard Best Buy TN panel like the majority of the world does.

Isn't the Hazro monitor also a wide gamut IPS display. Why would web surfing look better on the Hazro than the HP? Also, I thought a well calibrated ICC profile was supposed to make your colors accurate or more pleasing to view regardless of the image source. Is this not true? Does a wide gamut monitor only look good when the source was actually created using a "wide gamut" color space? Does the source still have to provide its own profile even though the monitor has its own ICC?

I'm still using CRT monitors and have avoided TN panels because of their many limitations. I thought I would be happier purchasing a VA or IPS panel for my first LCD. But now I'm scared. I don't want everyday web surfing and game playing to look ugly. Will the HP really look that bad when just doing everyday computing? Please give me your thoughts.

Only the 26" and 30" Hazros are wide gamut, the 23" and 24" are sRGB. As far as the HP in everyday usage goes, I find it fine, but that's just me - you should try and see a wide-gamut display "in the flesh" to see if you prefer it or not.

you should try and see a wide-gamut display "in the flesh" to see if you prefer it or not.

Great suggestion, but not as easy to do. The brick and mortar stores in Colorado all carry TN panels. I think you're lucky to ever see a VA panel. IPS? Never!

Hey Guys - 3 questions:
1) I used an Apple 23" IPS for a few weeks and I didn't notice (or maybe didn't care) about any sort of "washed" out un-profiled web images. Does sRGB really bother anyone on this monitor?

2) Is there any reason for me not to buy this monitor right now? It sounds like exactly what I want - I'm not aware of any other NEW IPS monitors that are in this price range - only seems to be *VA in this range or other IPS that are $1000.

3) How ugly is the stand in person? Looks ugly enough for me to buy a vesa mount.

Thanks!

Has anyone found a supplier besides HP/CDW? I was excited to see it on CDW, then I discovered that CDW charges tax as well. As soon as I can find this from a reputable retailer with now tax I'm making the purchase.
Buy.com lists it for $647.99 with "free shipping" and only charges tax in CA MA NY TN, there's also a 5% off coupon that will save you $15. Keep in mind though you're still legally responsible to remit taxes to your state on such things ;)

I placed an order yesterday but it's still stuck in processing after 24 hours despite being listed as ships in 1-2 days. The hold cleared on my card so maybe they just haven't received any stock yet? They also slapped on a $4.49 handling fee, I assume for large item or extra insurance, but I'm not complaining compared to $30.

So has anyone come up with a good general icm profile and settings yet? I'd like to try something other than the UGRA profile posted a while back before deciding whether I really need to splash out on a hardware calibrator (Not doing any pro work on this anyhow I just want a generally balanced looking display).

I'm not aware of any other NEW IPS monitors that are in this price range - only seems to be *VA in this range or other IPS that are $1000.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185010

I'm very curious to see reviews about this brand new monitor. It is also an IPS panel. The previous version DS-263N was well liked. The new one has fewer input options than the HP, but it has a very adjustable stand. Personally I don't like the wide bessel, but I assume it has something to do with the built in speakers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185010

I'm very curious to see reviews about this brand new monitor. It is also an IPS panel. The previous version DS-263N was well liked. The new one has fewer input options than the HP, but it has a very adjustable stand. Personally I don't like the wide bessel, but I assume it has something to do with the built in speakers.

Yea, it'd be nice if the 24" still existed:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185005

Buy.com lists it for $647.99 with "free shipping" and only charges tax in CA MA NY TN, there's also a 5% off coupon that will save you $15. Keep in mind though you're still legally responsible to remit taxes to your state on such things ;)

I placed an order yesterday but it's still stuck in processing after 24 hours despite being listed as ships in 1-2 days. The hold cleared on my card so maybe they just haven't received any stock yet? They also slapped on a $4.49 handling fee, I assume for large item or extra insurance, but I'm not complaining compared to $30.

I placed my order with Buy.com yesterday and my order is still stuck in "Processing" too (used the $15 savings also).

After tracking down a contact phone number (not published on their site and they only give it out after you email them first?!?!) -- I Googled "Buy.com contact phone number" and a few people had posted it out of frustration of not being able to find it -- 800-800-0800 -- I called and found out why they don't publish a phone number... 100% of their support is outsourced.

Anywho, I digress... spoke to a few ladies in Manila and somewhere in India (they were friendly and tried to help, but it appears that they have as little access to useful Buy.com systems) -- was told that it is impossible to speak to support in the US, that they have 150 of these in stock and that the initial "Processing" freeze (which can take 3 days) is to verify credit card info to help prevent fraud.

Eh, I can understand the need to prevent fraud, but 2 days to verify my payment method?? And why advertise that an item will ship in 1 to 2 days when shipping in 1 day appears to be impossible given your processes... and shipping in 2 days appears to be equally impossible.

Yeah, I'm being impatient, but I think we all are when it comes to getting our hands on this thing. :)

This looks to be my last order with Buy.com.

This looks to be my last order with Buy.com.

I had ridiculous problems from them just ordering a video card - I mean they really messed it up and customer service was extremely rude (called my mom a little boy!). I'd never order from them no matter how good the deal.

ok guys

sorry to bring this topic up once more

i just read the review on tftcentral and except for the wide gamut crap, it does look like a very interesting monitor

but i am still confused about the calibrating...

The best is offcourse internal LUT hardware calibrating (like on the NECs), which works for everything. But the HP doesnt have this, so it is no option

Then it all gets fuzzy for me:

is calibrating the LUT of the videocard the same as calibrating it in software? or are these 2 different means of calibration

If they are different, then i suppose that calibrating it in software (with these ICC profiles) is only usefull for colour aware programs (meaning it is actually useless... for me at least)

If they are different, then i would also hope that calibrating the videocards LUT, works for everything done on the PC (so it works in all OS, games, movies played with the PC, etc... so it is loaded inside the videocards bios and not in the driver... and if it is in the driver, then does it work for all windows applications, including games and video? or again only for colour aware apps?)
offcourse it wouldnt work for things like a PS3 (not such a big issue for me)

The thing is that the default colour calibration can be very crappy (as you can see on the tftcentral review) and if this cant be corrected anywhere without using those colour aware applications, then this is a major downside of this monitor (and also it would not at all justify the expense of a calibration tool)

so i hope someone can clear this out for me and others

Has anyone in the US actually received this monitor yet? If so, where did you buy from? I am still waiting for HP to ship mine, and I ordered on Sept. 2nd. I am ready to cancel that order and buy from somewhere else if I can verify that someone is actually SHIPPING the monitor. I see a lot of places that list it as 'coming soon', or 'ships in 1-3 days', etc. but the only places I've seen that claim to have actual stock are sites that don't look very reputable.

I ordered mine from HP on Monday and I received an e-mail today saying that it shipped. I will get it tommorow.

ok guys

sorry to bring this topic up once more

i just read the review on tftcentral and except for the wide gamut crap, it does look like a very interesting monitor

but i am still confused about the calibrating...

The best is offcourse internal LUT hardware calibrating (like on the NECs), which works for everything. But the HP doesnt have this, so it is no option

Then it all gets fuzzy for me:

is calibrating the LUT of the videocard the same as calibrating it in software? or are these 2 different means of calibration

If they are different, then i suppose that calibrating it in software (with these ICC profiles) is only usefull for colour aware programs (meaning it is actually useless... for me at least)

If they are different, then i would also hope that calibrating the videocards LUT, works for everything done on the PC (so it works in all OS, games, movies played with the PC, etc... so it is loaded inside the videocards bios and not in the driver... and if it is in the driver, then does it work for all windows applications, including games and video? or again only for colour aware apps?)
offcourse it wouldnt work for things like a PS3 (not such a big issue for me)

The thing is that the default colour calibration can be very crappy (as you can see on the tftcentral review) and if this cant be corrected anywhere without using those colour aware applications, then this is a major downside of this monitor (and also it would not at all justify the expense of a calibration tool)

so i hope someone can clear this out for me and others

Out of box it is saturated i got a score of 11 deltaE i believed. After calibrating i got deltaE 1.2 with a contrast of 660 which is quite good since i am an ameteur calibrator using Eye One Display 2 :D

From what i understand for sure, the ICC installed onto my Vista Ultimate 64bit SP1 is then loaded into my graphics card LUT. It does the color calibration for my desktop usage. Firefox can also make use of the ICC profile calibration because there is an addon that supports it. Adobe Photoshop is also a very known graphics editor that can make use of the ICC.

watching videos over Video players such as media player classic does not make use the calibration since vista will report color has reverted to basic because of not supported color calibration when i am watching a video. However i found a guide for Media Player Classic that claims it can get color calibration to work on it, but it was quite complicating for me to follow the guide :rolleyes:

For games i am not sure whether calibration works for it or not, but according to people, a monitor internal lut like on the nec 2690 will apply the color calibration onto videos and also in games.

Maybe a pro cans step in and clarify.

By the in regards to calibration this caught my eye

OSD brightness 10

Luminance 129

Black point 0.16

Contrast Ratio X:1 807

Besides settings the target luminance, should i also set the target to 0.16 ? because somehow it is achieving a better contrast according to TFT Central. i've tried calibrating 120 and also 140 luminance with about the same result of 600 -700 contrast with good deltaE of 1 to 1.5

My current white luminance is 133 with black as 0.21

Thanks to all for the PS3 information. Very helpful.This monitor is exactly what I need in every aspect except wide-gamut. The wide-gamut scares me. There is no way to disable this or go around it for normal web surfing or image viewing.

Has anyone in the US actually received this monitor yet? If so, where did you buy from? I am still waiting for HP to ship mine, and I ordered on Sept. 2nd. I am ready to cancel that order and buy from somewhere else if I can verify that someone is actually SHIPPING the monitor. I see a lot of places that list it as 'coming soon', or 'ships in 1-3 days', etc. but the only places I've seen that claim to have actual stock are sites that don't look very reputable.

Ordered from HP on Sept.4 shipped today, Sept.10.

Do you guys have a link to order directly from hp?

And also, is there any other monitors comparable in quality/price to this monitor?

You may find interesting example regarding color managing in full screen applications over here: http://www.driverheaven.net/vista-radeon-display-drivers/164792-ati-color-control-custom-color-profile.html

/nugaa

Thank you that was very insightful. I do have a few questions though.

ATI Color Control - custom color profile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,
I bought a Spyder color calibration tool, great and very usefull. Now I have a custom color profile for my monitor.
The problem is the following : each time I launch a game, my custom profile is swapped and the color are set to default.
----- HERE's THE ANSWER :
After several days searching for an answer, here it is : use Powerstrip to manage your colour settings !
Powerstrip will enforce the colour settings even in games. As you know, custom color profile will load data into the Color Lookup Table of your Graphic Card, but the ATI driver will erase everything to default when you launch game : your custom profile is lost.
Powerstrip is able to enforce this, and because Powerstrip work at driver level, if the ATI Color Control erase the data, Powerstrip will set them back automatically without warning the ATI Driver, so you can keep your colour profile all the time, even in games.
Note : to import a custom ICC/ICM into Powerstrip, just capture your LUT after it has been properly loaded.
Now I have binded some profiles with Powerstrip on my keyboard (with different gamma levels), and I can have fun changing the profile for different games (works inside the game) and for my desktop.
So Powerstrip is THE answer for colour managing with ATI driver. It cost some money (20 euros) but it worth it, no problems.

If i use powerstrip, will it mess with my calibration outside of games ? Also can powestrip color manage for Nvidia 8800 GTS instead of an ATI graphics card ?

Also is anyone of the opinion that the powerstrip provides the correct color calibration based on the ICC calibration done for the monitor ? Any thoughts on this :confused:

I'm currently reading this other thread to understand this better :cool:

http://forums.entechtaiwan.net/viewtopic.php?t=6274&sid=f1d47f4cfb84b1b033e16c74f8a41411

If i use powerstrip, will it mess with my calibration outside of games ? Also can powestrip color manage for Nvidia 8800 GTS instead of an ATI graphics card ?

Its try-before-you-buy-it so you should try it yourself. I'd suppose it has the support because 8800 GTS is not that new. It has support to all kinds of cards

Also is anyone of the opinion that the powerstrip provides the correct color calibration based on the ICC calibration done for the monitor ? Any thoughts on this

Im not sure what you mean but powerstrip loads the ICC from GFX card's LUT and provides it to the OS. It is just bunch of numbers to be interped by the OS so I don't see why would it create any deviations

Its a very nice program that I've used like for the last decade to do all kinds of stuff to my monitor settings

recalibrated.

Brightness: 1

Contrast: 80

R: 250

G: 230

B: 255

So hopefully after disabling nvidia driver software, BCC loader from msconfig, AND also disabling firewall and UAC in Vista ultimate 64bit SP1. I only let my Eye Match software loader work on startup. my calibration should be more or less the same result after review later. I hope :eek:

nugaa, thanks for the link about PowerStrip possibly being a way to force monitor calibration when gaming. But the description confused me. Do you think he was saying that PowerStrip only worked when playing games in a windowed mode or when in full screen mode. He really confused me. Plus, if you assigned a hot key, couldn't you use that in game regardless of windowed/fullscreen mode?

Very good RGB settings for calibation Moogle. I thought that a contrast of 80 would bee too much for my eyes , but it is OK. I Recalibrated it with a Spyder 3 Elite and will keep this icm profile. Thanks for the info.

Deadman3000 :

As you requested yesterday here is a rapidshare link with two profiles and info to set Contrast/Brighteness and RGB. You must use a LUT loader to load them at startup. "Adobe Gamma Loader" shoud be able to do the job (Be careful with Nvidia or ATI control pannels being launched at startup. They tend to conflict with LUT Loaders. Disable them in msconfig or with a startup manager, if you have one.

http://rapidshare.com/files/144472885/HP_-_LP2475W_ICM_PROFILES.rar.html

Hope it helps !

That's awesome.

I actually own PowerStrip so I'll try this out on my WCG screens and see what it brings.

Thanks much!

A step in the right direction I guess, but this almost certainly just keeping your calibrated LUT - IOW your gamma adjustments. It won't (can't) make games read the profile and do color space conversions.

So wide gamut monitors will still be out of gamut, but the gamma curve will be corrected.

Keep it up guys, in 4 years when I need a new monitor wide gamut glitches might be worked out. :D

Hello! First post.

I'm new, I'm frustrated, and I'm hoping that you smart people will tell me what to do. After being caught up in the Dell 2408 debacle (bought, returned, full refund), I've been trying to fill in my substantial knowledge gaps and finally make a good purchase.

Within the next few days, I'm either going to buy this HP or an Apple Cinema Screen 23" to hook up to my new Mac Pro. I'm a graphic designer, so color is definitely important to me. However, I'm not shooting for ultimate perfection here, it just needs to be solid. I'd rather have something that also works as a great all-around display.

Wide gamut scares me. I am not a gamer. I am poor, and I need a monitor to get moving on this freelance work!!!

Most importantly, I need the type to look SHARP. I am a typography nerd. My eyes were practically bleeding with the Dell 2408.

I understand the limitations with the Apple display (older, lack of inputs, soon to be updated just so I can feel like an asshole for shelling out so much cash but I don't really have a choice). I work on one every day so I know that it will suit my needs and probably be hassle free, and I get a small discount through my employer. (Please no snarky anti-Apple comments.)

For the price of the Apple, I could buy this HP AND a decent calibrator, and maybe win at life for once.

So:
-Are there any Mac-specific issues I should be aware of with the HP?
-Any thoughts on HP returns or customer service? Dell not only gave me a full refund with no restocking fee, but also paid return shipping.

I was hoping to save myself more credit card debt, but at this point I really just need something to WORK, asap, and with a minimum of stress.

Which should I buy?

Thank you; hope I'm not annoying...

If this is primarily a work monitor, I would find out if the applications that you use are color managed, if yes then the HP will be fine (with calibrator), if no you might want to consider the Apple. Colors will be fine after you calibrate/profile and use color managed apps. If your work is for the web you will need to be careful to save images as sRGB and use firefox3 with color management turned on to view the web to see what it will look like.

HP backlight modulates down quite nicely so I imagine it is quite easy on the eyes.

Quick update to my post yesterday -- Buy.com just confirmed that my order has shipped. I have a tracking number w/ an expected delivery of this Saturday (prolly Monday).

Good for Buy.com to get it shipped, although my prior grievances still stand.

Just got mine today. I am very impressed with the build quality and it just looks great. I dont have a calibrator so I may mess with some of the settings that have been posted and see what i like best. Its going to take a bit to get my eyes use to all this real estate coming from a 17" lcd.

Very good RGB settings for calibation Moogle. I thought that a contrast of 80 would bee too much for my eyes , but it is OK. I Recalibrated it with a Spyder 3 Elite and will keep this icm profile. Thanks for the info.

Deadman3000 :

As you requested yesterday here is a rapidshare link with two profiles and info to set Contrast/Brighteness and RGB. You must use a LUT loader to load them at startup. "Adobe Gamma Loader" shoud be able to do the job (Be careful with Nvidia or ATI control pannels being launched at startup. They tend to conflict with LUT Loaders. Disable them in msconfig or with a startup manager, if you have one.

http://rapidshare.com/files/144472885/HP_-_LP2475W_ICM_PROFILES.rar.html

Hope it helps !

No problem :D What deltaE did you get by the way ?

-Amarie i think you would be much happier with a 26'' because text will be bigger at native 1900x1200 compared to a 24'' so it should be more comfortable on the eyes.

The only good 26'' i know are the Hazro and the Nec2690. They have some issues you need to check in the reviews before opting for them though if you can live with them :X all monitors are not perfect.

Quick update to my post yesterday -- Buy.com just confirmed that my order has shipped. I have a tracking number w/ an expected delivery of this Saturday (prolly Monday).
Mine got shipped too, but the tracking number hasn't propogated yet. Good to hear they may ship on Saturday, and hopefully there's no troubles (I've heard they don't require signature).

-Are there any Mac-specific issues I should be aware of with the HP?
-Any thoughts on HP returns or customer service? Dell not only gave me a full refund with no restocking fee, but also paid return shipping.

Good question; I have the same questions from any Mac users out there. I'm looking into the HP for use with a Mac as well. I know that Macs have good color management, when compared to Windows -- as far as I've been able to gather Safari, the DVD player and the various OS windows themselves (Finder, the menus, etc) are all color managed via ColorSync, so they should all render appropriately with the high-gamut monitor. I'm not sure if there will still be problems with sRGB pictures on web pages -- perhaps Safari and Firefox will default images without color profiles to the system profile? Someone who understands this color profile thing better than I will have to fill in there.

WIth my limited knowledge, I suspect that the most correct answer is to pick a monitor with the color profile most matching your target audience. If you're a graphic designer for the web, a regular-gamut (sRGB) monitor is probably the way to go. If you're working in print, a high-gamut monitor is a must, of course. What I don't know is how much it will really hurt you to get the HP for web work. It is cheaper and better in many ways, after all. So hopefully someone else can chip in how much problem it will be
really Any experiences with color management w/ high-gamut monitors on Macs?

I'd also love to hear comparisons among the various venders offering the monitor, and whether anyone expects issues getting service. Dell certainly has a great reputation there.

the availability of these should be putting the doublesight to shame..

and thanks to all posting the good deals and their calibrated color profiles.

-Amarie i think you would be much happier with a 26'' because text will be bigger at native 1900x1200 compared to a 24'' so it should be more comfortable on the eyes.

Assuming that Amarie means the his/her eyes were bleeding because the text wasn't sharp enough -- i.e. with the red halo that I believe those panels were prone to -- then a 24" is the way to go. The lower pixel pitch will make the text sharper. Smaller too, you're right, but that's the tradeoff.

I've never seen the 26" in person, but I've lived with the 0.270 dot pitch since the CRT days. I'd be worried about getting bigger than that.

Back