HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

That's not the monitor. Turn off ClearType if you don't like antialiased text.
I didn't activate ClearType, the same issue also appears around the OSD characters, windows corners etc.
Why can't you take a picture ??

Manipulated image is pointless..
I only have my phone camera at the moment (poor quality), but I'll try to borrow a digital camera and send a proper picture here.

I didn't activate ClearType, the same issue also appears around the OSD characters, windows corners etc.

I only have my phone camera at the moment (poor quality), but I'll try to borrow a digital camera and send a proper picture here.

It honestly sounds as if there's a serious problem with your display and it's essentially DOA if it's on the OSD with factory settings. :eek:

Edit: The review at TFTCentral is now up, very impressive black levels and dE after calibration: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

My service menu shows this

P1020009.JPG

HOWEVER the only difference for mine says

F/W: GIG 032
S-L0614

Panel: LPL LM240WU4

What is the difference between firmware ? Everyone with the monitor please check and post your firmware and panel type it says in service.

Also what does unlock edid do ?

Badd how do i test for HDCP ? I got a PS3 can it be tested using that :confused: ?

Guys, I am delighted to congratulate you on what we have done together in this thread.
The first collectively composed users review has been done before any professional review comes up, and it's precise!
Thank you SevenFour, thank you rmbag, thank you Inq, thank you deadman3000 and thank others for the contribution.
We have demonstrated that this forum can be converted from a place where graphomans come to show off and noobs come to chat and waste our time, into really helpful and productive thread - when creative and technically accurate people come together here.

Look at our collective review and compare with this http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_lp2475w.htm

Our review:
So far about HP LP2475w:
Taking all posts together we have a preliminary "review" that gives us quite a good idea of this monitor. It looks like 90% of the work is done.

We have a mid-level universal 24" (H-?)IPS monitor.

The good.
Color accuracy is OK for the native mode (impressive dE~0.4).
Very good black level.
No overscan/distortion problem since it has 2 DVI inputs.
Input lag is quite low (19-22ms).

Still to be reviewed.
Brightness regulation range.
Workability of video inputs other than DVI (overscan/distortion on Component and HDMI).
Check for unexpected bugs.

The bad.
Wide color gamut.
sRGB mode is dummy.

Unfortunately it lacks so desirable "polarizer" that could have added much value to this product.

Users are still not able to tell us about brightness range and HDMI/Component warkability.

Unexpected bugs mentioned so far:
1. Grey ghosting and horizontal streaking reported by deadman3000.
2. Green ripple on darker colors reported at an european forum.

It reminds me that we live in a different era now.
Regular users are prepared (intellectually and instrumentally) to get much knowledge by their own. That's a kind message to professional reviewers: biased, slapdash job (we've seen examples recently) nowadays may cost you reputation.
Sorry about long post.
Again, thank you all participants.
Best wishes to 2475 future owners!

The bad.
Wide color gamut.
sRGB mode is dummy.

Unfortunately it lacks so desirable "polarizer" that could have added much value to this product.

Users are still not able to tell us about brightness range and HDMI/Component warkability.

Unexpected bugs mentioned so far:
1. Grey ghosting and horizontal streaking reported by deadman3000.
2. Green ripple on darker colors reported at an european forum.

Yes it is wide gamut. Out of the box the colors were quite colorful. But after calibration i think it's quite good. I stress that this monitor needs to be calibrated :)

I didn't bother to try the SRGB mode since people saying it doesn't do anything worthwhile.

Polarizer would be nice, but the main reason it would seem is to reduce glow effect at an angle. Looking at an angle i don't see a glow anyway so all good so far.

How to test for grey ghosting ? So far haven't seen it but if someone can show me how to check i will try and confirm for you all and myself :X

Same for green ripple. I didn't notice any so far but show me how to test for it and i will.

Albovlin so are you going to get this monitor o_O: ?

I am also glad to know that the majority of the posters so far aren't arrogant people who only know how to make snide remarks against noobs and people who are genuinely trying their best to help themselves and others at the same time ;) I'm sorry if i was not up to your standard of perfection :rolleyes:

I ordered it from CDW. It is listed for $630. It came out to $690 shipped with Fedex Ground shipping and tax. I figure $630 is a good price. The website says it will ship in 1-3 days. We will see.

I just couldn't wait any longer. If the USA version better be a IPS panel or I will be upset.

In that case either the monitor or your cable is defective. Since it's happening in the OSD, the monitor is likely defective. Power cycle or return it to factory defaults (ie. factory reset) and see if that helps.

Otherwise it seems wrong to me.

PS3 refuses to show ANY image on non-HDCP monitors.

Hook a PS3 up to DVI or HDMI.

Also, if you can set the HP to "aspect" for image settings and let us know if there are black bars top and bottom in XMB as well as a game, that would be much appreciated. Any display setting of the PS3 should work with this monitor.

The unlock EDID probably allows changes to be made to the firmware of the monitor. Could be risky to play with that one. You wouldn't want to brick the monitor. I'd stay away from it.

My service menu shows this

HOWEVER the only difference for mine says

F/W: GIG 032
S-L0614

Panel: LPL LM240WU4

What is the difference between firmware ? Everyone with the monitor please check and post your firmware and panel type it says in service.

Also what does unlock edid do ?

Badd how do i test for HDCP ? I got a PS3 can it be tested using that :confused: ?

No problem. You'll learn and grow.:)

yes i will :D

No, I am not.

What monitor you have just curious :confused:

I will test using HDMI to HDMi from the HP to the PS3 once i get home ;)

Also, if you can set the HP to "aspect" for image settings and let us know if there are black bars top and bottom in XMB as well as a game, that would be much appreciated. Any display setting of the PS3 should work with this monitor.

How do i change the aspect for the HP monitor e.g. 1:1 pixel mapping etc. Where is this option located in the monitor OSD :confused:

By the way in regards to this statement

It is worth noting in this review since you can spot the dark trailing image in the PixPerAn tests. Whether this is more of less distracting than a white trailing on other screens is down to the user, but in practice it was pretty hard to spot really.

I noticed it when i did the same test. I too however think it's not so noticeable. I never notice any of this ingame counter strike so don't think it's an issue.

The screen thankfully features a wide range of hardware level aspect ratio control, accessible via the OSD menu. There were options for "fill to screen", "fill to aspect ratio" and "one to one". I tested all of these using various gaming resolutions and they seemed to work nicely without issue. Testing the 1:1 aspect ratio mode with external devices using the main HD resolutions (720 and 1080) showed they were scaled properly and with no stretching vertically or horizontally.

I found out how to change the aspect :D I will test this on the PS3 and report to you. I got a digital camera but it sucks. I'll try do some shots anyway :X but forgive the crappy images when i post them.

My HP comes Wednesday replacing the Hazro HZ24Wi. It will be interesting to see the comparison between the 2 especially after calibration with Lacie Blue Eye Pro. I've used ColorEyes Pro and EyeOne Match 3 before but found them to be either not very good at reporting accuracy as BlueEye or Vista64bit compatibility issues.

BlueEye just works on my i1d2 probe.

So far I've had the following 24"

2x Hyundai W240D VA
2x BenQ FP241W VA
Dell 2408WFP VA
Hazro HZ24W
Hazro HZ24Wi

I know these are a bit off topic, but hopefully still some good questions for the calibration wizards reading this thread.

I am very interested in this monitor. I don't really do color critical work, but still love the idea of my display looking better, having better viewing angles and just having higher overall quality. As recommended by others, I think I will invest in a colorimeter so that I can make the image the best it can be. Now for my questions:

1. Can a newby follow the product supplied instructions and do a decent job of calibrating?
2. Once calibrated, I assume something like an ICC file gets loaded to automatically adjust the monitors color, brightness, etc. Is this correct?
3. Is the ICC profile used for everything, or just "color aware" applications?
4. Will most computer games benefit from or at least use the ICC profile, or will monitor calibration not affect computer gaming at all?
5. I've heard that every monitor needs it's own personal calibration. I can believe this may be the truth if you want to eek out every possible improvement for your display. But wouldn't all LP2475w monitors still give perhaps 90% of their potential just by using a well calculated ICC file from someone else's LP2475w? I find it hard to believe that the differences between individual LG panels can really be that great.
6. Finally, if a "universal" ICC would help everyone greatly, why don't these monitors ship with those settings from the factory? It sounds like a default brightness setting of 90 is absurd. I believe in the TFT Central review Badass turned the brightness down to 17! I just don't understand why any manufacturer would ship monitors that need "major" adjustments just to look good.

Sorry for the length. Thanks for your answers.

1. Can a newby follow the product supplied instructions and do a decent job of calibrating?

yes, very easy really with most of the software packages

2. Once calibrated, I assume something like an ICC file gets loaded to automatically adjust the monitors color, brightness, etc. Is this correct?

yes, thats right. you can also use that ICC profile as a reference for printers, cameras and scanners if you need to match everything up

it's loaded into windows, but some programs have their own "over-ride" or selection (eg photoshop)

4. Will most computer games benefit from or at least use the ICC profile, or will monitor calibration not affect computer gaming at all?

i believe it's still active

5. I've heard that every monitor needs it's own personal calibration. I can believe this may be the truth if you want to eek out every possible improvement for your display. But wouldn't all LP2475w monitors still give perhaps 90% of their potential just by using a well calculated ICC file from someone else's LP2475w? I find it hard to believe that the differences between individual LG panels can really be that great.

it's more dependent on your GFX card tbh, it's the combination of screen+GFX card which makes it different each time. a good ICC profile can help though

6. Finally, if a "universal" ICC would help everyone greatly, why don't these monitors ship with those settings from the factory? It sounds like a default brightness setting of 90 is absurd. I believe in the TFT Central review turned the brightness down to 17! I just don't understand why any manufacturer would ship monitors that need "major" adjustments just to look good.

it's because manuf opt for the pretty, bright and colourful settings by default so they look nice on display in shop windows :) easy enough to ajust but remember everyone's ambient lighting conditions and requirements will change

Sorry for the length. Thanks for your answers.[/QUOTE]

Guys, I am delighted to congratulate you on what we have done together in this thread.
The first collectively composed users review has been done before any professional review comes up, and it's precise!
Thank you SevenFour, thank you rmbag, thank you Inq, thank you deadman3000 and thank others for the contribution.
We have demonstrated that this forum can be converted from a place where graphomans come to show off and noobs come to chat and waste our time, into really helpful and productive thread - when creative and technically accurate people come together here.
I'd just like to echo this, although I do feel others are also deserving of credit (yes, I'm looking at you Moogle Stiltzkin).

I'm not in the market for a new 24" monitor at the moment, but I often get asked for recommendations - as I have a little PC knowhow, I'm generally expected to have encyclopaedic knowledge of every single piece of hardware available on the market. Thanks to this thread, I can be reasonably confident of one recommendation at least not coming back to bite me in the ass - sure, the monitor's not perfect (nothing is), but none of the issues raised seem to be potential showstoppers, unlike with its immediate competitors.

Good job guys. :)

Yes. It is easy to do.

Yes

Only colour aware applications will notice the colour profile and use it.

Colour management is not something that games use. Note: In the Half Life 2 settings there is an option to turn colour correction on but I am not sure if it is to do with colour management. I have never seen colour options in any other game.

You would hope that all examples of a monitor would be close but can you be sure? Also, can you be sure that the graphics card will not add add any other variabilities? Ideally a colour profile created using the monitor on the system that will use the colour profile.

6. Finally, if a "universal" ICC would help everyone greatly, why don't these monitors ship with those settings from the factory? It sounds like a default brightness setting of 90 is absurd. I believe in the TFT Central review Badass turned the brightness down to 17! I just don't understand why any manufacturer would ship monitors that need "major" adjustments just to look good..

Who knows.

It's under "image control" > "Custom scaling" > "Fill to aspect"

Here's the link to the brief OSD manual of the monitor on HP's web site:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...48442&prodTypeId=382087&objectID=c01504750#A3

Thanks Moogle. Your help is always appreciated.

I will test using HDMI to HDMi from the HP to the PS3 once i get home ;)

How do i change the aspect for the HP monitor e.g. 1:1 pixel mapping etc. Where is this option located in the monitor OSD :confused:

I know these are a bit off topic, but hopefully still some good questions for the calibration wizards reading this thread.

I am very interested in this monitor. I don't really do color critical work, but still love the idea of my display looking better, having better viewing angles and just having higher overall quality. As recommended by others, I think I will invest in a colorimeter so that I can make the image the best it can be. Now for my questions:

6. Finally, if a "universal" ICC would help everyone greatly, why don't these monitors ship with those settings from the factory? It sounds like a default brightness setting of 90 is absurd. I believe in the TFT Central review Badass turned the brightness down to 17! I just don't understand why any manufacturer would ship monitors that need "major" adjustments just to look good.

Sorry for the length. Thanks for your answers.

Yes a newbie can do it. I am living proof :D You can see my calibration screenshot in the previous page. Thats what i managed to far, but i am going to try again tonite and see if i get better results. The x-rite Eye One Display 2 is a good cheap calibrator. If your rich get the Lacie blue pro calibrator :X

just to warn you though, the calibration won't be so much effective for videos and games. An internal hardware lut like on the NEC 2690 would benefit from it for showing color calibration in videos and games from what i understand.

Regardless i feel my calibrator was worth it when using on this monitor :D

Colour management is not something that games use. Note: In the Half Life 2 settings there is an option to turn colour correction on but I am not sure if it is to do with colour management. I have never seen colour options in any other game.

I am also wondering about this option in half Life. Does anybody know :confused:

I'd just like to echo this, although I do feel others are also deserving of credit (yes, I'm looking at you Moogle Stiltzkin).

I'm not in the market for a new 24" monitor at the moment, but I often get asked for recommendations - as I have a little PC knowhow, I'm generally expected to have encyclopaedic knowledge of every single piece of hardware available on the market. Thanks to this thread, I can be reasonably confident of one recommendation at least not coming back to bite me in the ass - sure, the monitor's not perfect (nothing is), but none of the issues raised seem to be potential showstoppers, unlike with its immediate competitors.

Good job guys. :)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...48442&prodTypeId=382087&objectID=c01504750#A3

Hurray, finally some appreciation :D

1. I hooked up PS3 to monitor via HDMI.

2. I tried to change the ascpect but it was greyed out. I am using dvi to dvi for my pc, and hdmi to hdmi for my ps3. I don't know how to unlock the image control in the osd :eek:

my Nvidia graphics card is set to use the monitors inbuilt scaling so not sure why i cannot access.

3. PS3 works just fine, but no audio. Even though audio can be carried through HDMI, my HP doesn't have the optional speakers. It may be an attractive purchase though if you want to use the PS3. Even then i am not sure whether this monitor accepts audio through hdmi :confused:It has a SPDIF that can be used in conjunction with HDMI to give you audio. What would have been sweet would have been a microphone input so you could use headphones, unfortunately there wasn't any :eek: This doesn't really put me off because i can use a SPDIF from my PS3 to my PC sound card which is an Auzentech XFI Prelude and then use my Audio Technica ATH-A900 headphones. At least i think it will work .... i will try get the SPDIF cable tomorrow to test it :D

4. by pressing quick select i can easily flip between my pc screen and my PS3. You may want to enable Auto switch, default video input, auto detect input on, otherwise when you press quick select, it will ask you to manually select the input. Not much of an issue if you use either one or the other method for flipping between inputs :D

I wanted to try and use the PIP and POP feature so i can play PS3 metal gear solid 4, while surfing the internet for guides from sites such as gamefaqs.com

Unfortunately the input sources for PIP/POP are limited. Which basically means i cannot use it at all since i am only using DVI and HDMI connections :rolleyes:

All inputs are supported for the main window. however only Composite, S-Video, and Component inputs are supported for the secondary window.

Yet again i am not turned off by this yet i wonder whether there is any monitor that will allow dvi or hdmi for PIP/POP or is this some retardedness from HPs side i do not know. Anyway i bought the monitor knowing this so heh ;)

Bad, 10e, phil - yes HDCP seems to work since my PS3 displays fine on my PS3 ;)

Yes a newbie can do it. I am living proof :D You can see my calibration screenshot in the previous page. Thats what i managed to far, but i am going to try again tonite and see if i get better results. The x-rite Eye One Display 2 is a good cheap calibrator. If your rich get the Lacie blue pro calibrator :X

I was under the impression that they were exactly the same hardware, but the Lacie software package is much more "in depth" with reporting etc.

That's negated by using something like BCC or even ColourEyes now they have a windows version out.

I was under the impression that they were exactly the same hardware, but the Lacie software package is much more "in depth" with reporting etc.

That's negated by using something like BCC or even ColourEyes now they have a windows version out.

yep, thats right :)

But you need to buy the software as well :eek: i am not sure whether the total cost adds up to buying a Lacie Blue :x

A noobish question here..

For activate ICC profiles, should i uninstall that HP Software that keep it's profiles. Because i apply totally new icc profiles as importing regarding files (from display properties/setting/advanced/color management) but nothing changes...Also i got adobe gamma...all that programs keeps same icc file? or something else doesn't work?

What's is the keypoints of calibrating? Making %100 brightness and contrast etc etc.then...

Thanks alot,

I did my best attempt today.

When i factory reset, i had left brightness at the default 90. I set color controls to custom but i left the values at the default for it which were RGB 255. Contrast was at the default 80. I used strictly Eye match and followed the order contrast > RGB > Luminance based on the program's step by step. At the end of all the calibration, i used basICColor to review the results.

Target settingsfor calibration were

D65

140 luminance

2.2 gamma

Contrast: left at default 80 since when i used the calibrator to check contrast it was already at the best point :X seems odd ...

RGB:

R: 246

G: 226

B: 255

Brightness: then when i was calibrating to the target 140, i adjusted accordingly to reach the target. The default 90 was spot on 400 or so as the tft central review said it was on default.

Sigh i wonder how INX managed to get such good calibration using the same hardware and software i am using. I am just not as pro as he is. My calibration is not that far off then was tft-central achieved so, for now i think i will use this ICC since it's the best i could do x_x;

A noobish question here..

For activate ICC profiles, should i uninstall that HP Software that keep it's profiles. Because i apply totally new icc profiles as importing regarding files (from display properties/setting/advanced/color management) but nothing changes...Also i got adobe gamma...all that programs keeps same icc file? or something else doesn't work?

What's is the keypoints of calibrating? Making %100 brightness and contrast etc etc.then...

Thanks alot,

I would like to know as well whether hp advisor should be uninstalled since i never used it to calibrate :confused:

Thanks for the info Moogle.

So there are black/blank bars top and bottom with the PS3? Ie. things don't look stretched vertically at 1080p correct? And if you go into the web browser the scroll bar is clearly shown right? Trying to see two things here:

1) Proper aspect ratio scaling for 16:9 over HDMI
2) None, or little overscan

Your results in calibration are close to Inq's in regards to quality (as anything 1.00 DE and below is top notch) > http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033005765&postcount=631

Where I'm curious is at 120 cdm/2 he has such a high contrast ratio of over 820:1 and excellent black level of 0.14 cdm/2 but your lowest is 0.18. Not a big difference mind you, as both are good to excellent results.

Your previous calibration at 2 brightness (if I remember correctly) resulted in the same black level of 0.18 as now. What was your OSD brightness set at here. Maybe low brightness at between 0 to 10 and contrast at default of 80 gives better blacks?

EDITED Generally brightness control should control backlight intensity, and contrast should raise or lower white levels, but if raised too high, will artificially "crush whites" where all light shades blend into white, so be careful of that, methinks.

Sorry if I'm being persistent, just curious as to why the contrast ratio (and thus black levels) are somewhat different. Though, in truth, this could be panel variances involved, which is not atypical.

Thanks again...

Thanks for the info Moogle.

So there are black/blank bars top and bottom with the PS3? Ie. things don't look stretched vertically at 1080p correct? And if you go into the web browser the scroll bar is clearly shown right? Trying to see two things here:

1) Proper aspect ratio scaling for 16:9 over HDMI
2) None, or little overscan

Your results in calibration are close to Inq's in regards to quality (as anything 1.00 DE and below is top notch) > http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033005765&postcount=631

Where I'm curious is at 120 cdm/2 he has such a high contrast ratio of over 820:1 and excellent black level of 0.14 cdm/2 but your lowest is 0.18. Not a big difference mind you, as both are good to excellent results.

Your previous calibration at 2 brightness (if I remember correctly) resulted in the same black level of 0.18 as now. What was your OSD brightness set at here. Maybe low brightness at between 0 to 10 and contrast at default of 80 gives better blacks?

Often people will say that brightness controls white levels and contrast controls black levels, sometimes contrast will raise white brightness and brightness will lower blacks if the brightness is a true "backlight" control.

Sorry if I'm being persistent, just curious as to why the contrast ratio (and thus black levels) are somewhat different. Though, in truth, this could be panel variances involved, which is not atypical.

Thanks again...

I don't mind ;) i too wish to find out why i am jinxed !

Ops silly me i forgot to report my brightness after calibrating to 140cmd2.

It's on 8 brightness now.

I'd love to test the aspect but the image controls seem to be locked ! Anyone have any ideas about accessing this :eek:

I am currently uploading some pics i took of the PS3.

Here they are. I rar them and uploaded to megaupload.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E9NZ7AQR

I just found out that in dvi to dvi on my computer screen, the image control is not available.

BUT, when i quick select and hop onto my hdmi to hdmi from pc to PS3, when i click menu , tada i have access to the image control ! I tried fill screen, full aspect, and 1:1 they all looked good.

1:1 had bars on top and bottom. From what i understand 1080p is slightly smaller then 1900x1200, which explains the bars which indicates it adjusted properly to meet 1:1 pixel mapping ratio.

Moogle try lowering your RGB levels ; right now i have R - 210 B - 216 B - 229. Try to calibrate your white point at Red 210-220.

I will try that now :D since i am free while download prison break ! hehe. Inq by the way can you check your service menu and tell me what firmware is your monitor ?

Hey Deadman3000,

Does this effect almost like like there are tiny little darker lines between slightly lighter grey lines sort of interleaved?

I know that I can kind of see this effect (if I look for it) on my NEC LCD2690WUXI...

Here's a post by ToastyX with a test for "horizontal lines". Follow the instructions and see if one half has lines, and the other doesn't. Good luck.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031385987&postcount=1162

Can others who have their HP see if they have a similar issue to me? I noticed on solid color tests (Mostly grey and white) that there is a darker horizontal mottled/streaking effect towards the right hand side of the monitor. At first I thought it was persistence of image. But I have the taskbar and browser window showing for hours and noticed none of that issue (No lines or icons etc showing on a solid colour).

It shows up best on the colour Windows default grey which I have to generate in a paint program (R115,G115,B115,O:255).

I tried to take a photo but it's very difficult to see. I can see it as a slight mottling/streaking variation in this photo though (Ignore the dark edge and corner).

Anyone else? Could it be the light strips I am seeing?

img4488mi1.jpg

Back