HP LP2475w (Possible new IPS)

HP has two numbers for practically every monitor. One has the "promotional" price built in. I think the other one they sell to corporations in volume,so they can then give them a discount. All rather pointless. But the two numbers mean nothing.

hp doesnt sell to shops personally...

they sell to suppliers who, in their turn, sell to companies and shops...

i have access to a website of such a supplier, and even there, there are 2 "different" monitors (as i detailed on the previous page)

This supplier only has the cheap one in stock, so why and who would buy the expensive one if they are the same?

also the price difference is waaaaaaaaaay to big to be a promotional stunt

and again, one is called LP2475 and the other LP2475W

you mean LP2475w is suppose?

I have a really hard time believing that a decent IPS would only cost 450 euro... even an average PVA costs 700 euro in the same shop... and the bit decent 24" even cost between 1000 and 1500 euro

450 is the price for a good TN or a crappy PVA...

Current 20'' 4:3 PVA screens are more expensive than their IPS counterparts. (and the panel lotteries show that there can't much difference in price)
24'' PVAs start around 400 euro, what is missing are IPS screens with equally reduced feature set.
High end PVA and IPS (EIZO and NEC) cost about the same.

So to me a price close to its PVA predecessor sounds just about right.
(especially since cheap seldom exported korean monitors using the same panel as the 23'' apple cost only slightly more than 200 euro, the additional 500 go to apple for warping it in aluminum and shipping, HPs plastic seems to be a lot less expensive...)

I just got a refund on my NEC 20WGX2 because of the staining problem. It was my third replacement. I now have £415 refunded into my bank account and this new HP looks like the one to get. It's a shame I don't have a 10 bit capable card but I can upgrade that at a later date.

Why is it when you go to buy something like this it's always the latest and greatest 'hard to find any reviews for' hardware that you want? :)

intouch.techdata.com

as I said, this is a supplier, so you cant get in without a login...

Also those delivery dates sometimes get postponed.... so I can't assure that this is correct... it is just an indication...

This supplier only has the cheap one in stock, so why and who would buy the expensive one if they are the same?

also the price difference is waaaaaaaaaay to big to be a promotional stunt

and again, one is called LP2475 and the other LP2475W

http://www.cendirect.com/main_en/fi...W2=&rSfr=0&rSto=100000&rPar=&rCompList=&rNav=

See the Hp lp2465, lp2065, lp3065, L1745,L1750, L1950 .... etc ...

This has been discussed on numerous occasions about HPs other monitors. This is just the way they do business.

Every monitor in their "business" line has two prices. One has promotional pricing built in.

IIRC they use the higher price one on big quotes, then they negotiate a set percentage off the whole order price (which may knock it below the price of the lower one anyway). I think they do this to equalize margins on bulk purchase order, so they don't end up selling anything below cost.

No one buying an individual monitor should look at the higher price it is a business to business thing.

I received my LP2475W today, got it for EUR 540,- from an online shop. Definitely an S-IPS panel.

Only had time to hook it up to my PC and xbox 360 and run a few quick test. So far it's looking good. Brightness is too much for my liking out of the box, and colors appear are over saturated. Almost no backlight bleed, but I'll will recheck this as I did so during daytime.

Xbox 360 is connected over VGA as mine has no HDMI. Pixelmapping 1:1 works properly, as does the option to scale to 1920x1200. There's another option called 'one to one' (not 100% sure if it's called that, but when I get back home I'll check). It seems to bypass the sharpening. Interesting to see what it does in input lag tests...

Seems to me this panel has a lot less sparkle as the Dell 2007WFP I currently have. The sparkle on the Dell is driving me nuts.

On the photo's the stand looks hideous. Now that I have the monitor on my desk I must say it's not that hideous. More like just plain ugly ;)

Again, only ran some quick test, but so far so good. I'll post other findings when I have some more time over the weekend.

I received my LP2475W today, got it for EUR 540,- from an online shop. Definitely an S-IPS panel.

Again, only ran some quick test, but so far so good. I'll post other findings when I have some more time over the weekend.

rmbag, you are my hero. :D

On the photo's the stand looks hideous. Now that I have the monitor on my desk I must say it's not that hideous. More like just plain ugly ;)

Sounds good, I was kinda turned off by the stand as well. :cool:

Can you please test the screen with a completely silent source, like a fanless dvd player/ipod video out, to check if the screen makes any kind of noise or buzzing?

Thanks.

I received my LP2475W today

Glad to hear someone has gotten their hands on one!

How is the polarizer? When viewing from off-angles, do you see the 'white glow' typical of most IPS panels, or does the picture remain pretty constant, like the NECs?

If you get a chance, can you test the input lag for us?

Enjoy your new monitor! Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on it, so far it sounds great.

rmbag said:
Brightness is too much for my liking out of the box, and colors appear are over saturated. Almost no backlight bleed, but I'll will recheck this as I did so during daytime.
Does sRGB mode reduce saturation?

In a dark room with a black screen, is there a white haze at an angle or does it turn red or green?

Looking forward to hearing more about it.

It arrived this afternoon, probably the first one delivered to an end user in the UK.

First impressions are favourable, no bad pixels, no backlight problems, settings out of the box are bit on the bright and colourful side - I have just run the supplied software calibration and set a revised profile which has calmed things down somewhat.

For those that were concerned on dpreview and other fora that the two model numbers on the HP UK site at very different prices meant two different specifications need not worry (according to HP !). The HP code KD911A4 is the monitor at the normal retail price of £476 + VAT whereas the KD911AT is the same monitor at a promotional price of £389 + VAT available through nominated retailers. They indicated that they have a set number of monitors available in the UK (they have no knowledge of what is happening elsewhere) at the promotional launch price and then they will revert to the normal price. I bought mine for £365 + VAT from MacWarehouse.

One final thought at the moment - for those wanting a really smart, shiny, elegant piece of kit, look elsewhere. The LP2475w is just a functional piece of hardware, which is all I wanted.

Source: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1004&message=28967370

I hope he meant his xbox has no HDMI?

There should be an HDMI port (#5) on the monitor between the Display port (#4) and the 2 DVI ports (#6).

Update 2008.08.15 2:59PM PST Thanks to Mark for informing me that HP’s LP2480zx is the 24″ LCD monitor with a 10-bit IPS panel and LED backlight. The LP2475w is also a 24″ LCD monitor but has a 8-bit IPS panel with a CCFL backlight. The following text about 10-bit and the LED backlight refers to the LP2480ZX.

10-bit LCD. It might not sound like it is that big of a deal compared to an 8-bit LCD. But it definitely is. 8-bit LCDs can generate 16 million colors (256 x 256 x 256 for RGB). Increase that to 10-bit and we’re talking an exponential increase to more than 1 BILLION colors (1024 x 1024 x 1024 for RGB). So you’ve got one billion colors to choose from. Not only that, with a LED backlight the DreamColor LP2475w LP2480zx generates a color gamut of 102% 133% NTSC so the one billion colors shown in a pixel format of 1920 x 1200 are all brilliant. To enhance the color gamut to this level, I am assuming the LED backlight is of the RGB variety. But the incredible thing is that you get all of this for an unbelievably low price of just $649! (Well you don’t get the 10-bit LCD panel or the LED backlight, but the price is still pretty good as street prices will most likely be quite a bit less.) The LP2475w seems like a definite winner! But I do have a question.

Source: http://www.displayblog.com/2008/08/11/hp-dreamcolor-lp2475w-high-color-gamut-24-lcd-monitor/

is this true ? The 2475 is pretty much a lighter weight version of the LP2480ZX ?

Anyway i am still not phased away :X

They did say there is a white glow at 45 degrees, but seriously, who on earth watches their screens at 45 degrees anyway ;_;

If there isn't any white glow head on then whats the problem i wonder.

Looking forward to a input lag test on HP LP2475w. :) Anyone got it yet? They are selling them in Norway, so i guess it's out elsewhere too.

Questions and answers
How is the polarizer? When viewing from off-angles, do you see the 'white glow' typical of most IPS panels, or does the picture remain pretty constant, like the NECs?

Quote from DPreview.com "Here's an image showing two IPS screens side by side, the left one has the polarizer: http://www.toastyx.net/nec-planar-earth.sm.jpg"

Viewed from off-angles the HP has a white haze and looks like the screen on the right.

When I display a black background full screen, I can see the white haze appear even at slight changes of the angle I'm looking at the screen. Only when I look at the screen absolutely dead on with my eyes centered to the middle of the screen, there's no white haze. When I move my head up or down an inch I can see the white haze appear in the corners of the screen.

If you get a chance, can you test the input lag for us?

Here's how I tested input lag. I connected my PC to the LP2475w and my old Iiyama 19" CRT in clone mode and ran the input lag test from lagom.
I took a series of 20 shots in burst mode with my digital camera with 1/320 shutter speed. Both tests have the LP2475w over DVI and the Iiyama 19" over VGA. Graphicscard is an Asus NVidia 7800GT. From previous input lag tests I know that results are consistent when I switch ports on the graphiccard.

I ran two test with the same parameters.

Test 1: The HP is on average 18,7 ms behind the Iiyama CRT.
Difference in ms per photo taken:
15, 16, 0, 16, 31, 15, 0, 31, 31, 16, 32, 31, 16, 16, 15, 31, 16, 15, 16, 15

Test 2: The HP is on average 21,5 ms behind the Iiyama CRT.
Difference in ms per photo taken:
0, 16, 32, 32, 31, 15, 31, 16, 16, 15, 47, 15, 16, 31, 16, 16

Does sRGB mode reduce saturation?
No, it doesn't seem like it. There is however an option in the colors menu (in the OSD menu) called 'Color Saturation', but it is disabled. I installed the HP Display assistant software that came with the monitor, but all tabs are grayed out except for the options tab.

Can you please test the screen with a completely silent source, like a fanless dvd player/ipod video out, to check if the screen makes any kind of noise or buzzing?Thanks.

I don't have a silent source to test this with. There's a very slight buzzing sound coming from the back of the monitor, but I can only hear it when I position my head at the back or when I put my ear almost onto the panel from the front.

I hope he meant his xbox has no HDMI?
That's what I meant, the LP2475w has 1 HDMI port.

What does your monitor have?
My monitor has the exact same connector layout as posted by worthless808.

Other stuff
I've noticed that the sharpness setting is only in effect when scaling to full screen. When running on native resolution the entire menu option 'Image control' is grayed out. In this sub-menu you can set the sharpness and control the scaling options.

I've accessed the service menu (turn of the monitor while holding down the menu button), the panel is a 'LPL LM240WU4'.

I checked for dead pixels, none found.

There's only a tiny bit of backlight bleed. It's hard to notice, but it's there in both corners on the right side. Uniformity looks pretty good, it's slighty darker on the far right of the screen.

Thanks for doing these tests. It sounds like a great monitor, really can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

It is indeed a great monitor, especially considering it's price and lack of IPS alternatives here in Europe.

The new Hazro's are the HZ24Wi (wide screen but normal gamut) and HZ26Wi (wide screen and has wide gamut).

Someone posted a mini review of the HZ24Wi in the forum here so look it up ..... basically what they said was in regards to the glow there was none. This is because they used a polarizer. Since there is white glow at an angle on the new HP, then that means it has no polarizer.

From my perspective the Hazro probably is the better choice technically and life performance wise. However you must consider price and availability.

It's more expensive then the HP i hear ? Also Hazro isn't easy to get outside Euro. I wouldn't regret getting the HP :x a slight white glow at an angle doesn't bother me much.

And from the input lag reported it seems quite acceptable for gamers. It is not worse then the Hazro in that area.

You can compare the HP with the Dell 2408 and also the old Hazro here.

http://lcd24-7.info/Compare.aspx

The HP DreamColor LP2480zx is basically the same as the HP LP2475w but is pricier and better.

The big difference is it probably has

1. polarizer

2. 10 bit versus the 8 bit in the 2475

3. has Led back lighting, the 2475 is using a cheaper backlight

There probably some other difference but i don't know what :X But most of us are not able to afford the 2480, which is why we are looking at 2475 because it is just a slight downgrade and much more affordable then it's bigger expensive brother.

Thank you for the input lag test, rmbag! Much appreciated. :) Do you have a colorimeter that can meausere black level of the screen?

Well, the input lag is dissapointing for me. I was hoping more of like a frame of lag, like planar and doublesight. Guess us gamers looking for good non-tn 24" screen, might be waiting for a while...

Thank you for the input lag test, rmbag! Much appreciated. :) Do you have a colorimeter that can meausere black level of the screen?

Well, the input lag is dissapointing for me. I was hoping more of like a frame of lag, like planar and doublesight. Guess us gamers looking for good non-tn 24" screen, might be waiting for a while...

Well from his figures he says it has between 15-30 ms input lag. This is pretty acceptable for S-PVA and IPS monitors.

If your a hardcore gamer that needs all the edge you can get and don't care about image quality, then sure get a TN panel ;)

If you want more quality with not much of a degrade for gaming, then get H-IPS, S-IPS or a S-PVA.

Pricing and availability

The HP LP 2275w 22-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor is available today and the HP LP2475w 24-inch Widescreen LCD Monitor is expected to be available in North America in September for estimated starting U.S. street prices of $459 to $649, respectively.

Jim Christensen
Director, Media Relations
HP Personal Systems Group
Cupertino, California

Well from his figures he says it has between 15-30 ms input lag. This is pretty acceptable for S-PVA and IPS monitors.

If your a hardcore gamer that needs all the edge you can get and don't care about image quality, then sure get a TN panel ;)

If you want more quality with not much of a degrade for gaming, then get H-IPS, S-IPS or a S-PVA.

Alot of monitors with TN panels have the same kind of input lag nowadays. Zero input lag monitors are a rarety even among TN panels.

Hehe, i allready have a 22" Iiyama E2201W ZERO input lag monitor. :) But i do care about image quality and i want a 24" non-TN ZERO input lag monitor. The only one i know of is the Iolair MB24W with MVA-panel, but those bastards are selling them mostly with TN-panels now, under the same name. Blacks aren't very good (0.35 at 200cd/m2), but it's worth it considering the colors are decent and it's a ZERO input lag monitor.

I still wonder what the black level of the HP LP2475w is...

Yeah the lolair is the only 0 input lag monitor i seen as well. Not too sure about latency though.

Speaking of which what is the difference between latency and input lag ? I noticed these days people are hardly talking about black to white latency, but are more talkative about input lag :confused:

I saw a picture that showed a race car crossing the finishing line. There is a comparison of where the car would be between a crt and lcd at the same time on clock. I saw the Dell 2408 way behind the finishing line :eek: only then did i realise how important having no to less input lag matters.

My brother who is into competitive Counter Strike and reprensenting Malaysia for the Germany WCG strictly uses TN panels. I on the otherhand am just a casual ;)

Anyway i tried many times to call the HP malaysian call center for product information a few times each day for past few weeks but nobody called back and nobody picks up the phone. Their call center needs to be upgraded seriously :rolleyes:

The only reason i haven't given up on buying the HP is because the monitor manual and drivers seem quite comprehensive even if their call centers aren't :D

Back