HP Laying Off Another 5,000 Employees

HardOCP News

[H] News
What a great way to celebrate the holidays...firing another 5,000 people. :(

Hewlett-Packard Co said it would cut 5,000 more jobs, bringing the total number of layoffs to 34,000, or 11 percent of its workforce. The company said in a regulatory filing on Monday that it would record a charge of $4.1 billion in 2014, up from its prior estimate of $3.6 billion.

I guess their thinking it's better to fire everyone while they're busy celebrating, to minimize that vitriol and attention it brings during a holiday. Just like the standard policy to fire people on a Friday rather than a Monday because statistically speaking, they're less likely to do something crazy.

How HP see's the PC industry.
h49F285BE

What consumers think of HP.
09fe149bbdc3fc934759d40edad7cd660928b8502a8c729675085efb0f27d676.jpg

So, how much in the red is HP really in that laying off another 5000 employees will help the company? Or, is laying off 5000 employees better than reducing other expenses that is costing the company a lot of money?

If each of the 5000 employees are earning $50,000 a year, is saving $250 million mean that much to them?

If 3000 of the 5000 employees are earning $50,000 and another 2000 $30,000 a year, will $210 million a year save the company?

Meg Whitman's salary was increased to $1.5 million from $1 according to an SEC filing.

Maybe they're firing the 5,000 worst performs and slackers, which the make the company stronger as a whole.

So, how much in the red is HP really in that laying off another 5000 employees will help the company? Or, is laying off 5000 employees better than reducing other expenses that is costing the company a lot of money?

If each of the 5000 employees are earning $50,000 a year, is saving $250 million mean that much to them?

If 3000 of the 5000 employees are earning $50,000 and another 2000 $30,000 a year, will $210 million a year save the company?

Meg Whitman's salary was increased to $1.5 million from $1 according to an SEC filing.

We don't know what level employees are being released ... they can't have that much manufacturing left in the USA so most of the positions are probably engineering and management (which means they would get much more than $50K) ... also, you have to consider the burdened rate for employees with benefits (in the USA that typically runs about 50% of their salary ... in other countries, especially those in the EU, it can get up to 80%) ... if they are consolidating product lines and outsourcing engineering and manufacturing then they may very well need to lean up their workforce ... remember when IBM did their big reorg in the 90's they cut about 100,000 mid level managers from the company

Is HP even relevant in the PC market anymore? I don't really go to Best Buy much, but I don't recall seeing HP's for sale anywhere.

I admit, I had a HP back in the Pentium days.....it still haunts me. It was THAT computer that drove me to build my own. That was the last desktop I've purchased.

Sucks for their employees. Not surprised though I haven't bought an HP product in years. I also steer family and friends away from them too.

HP/Compaq and Dell are the 3 worst offenders of prebuilt garbage.

I'm thankful every day that I build my own stuff.

I worked for DEC back in the early 90's when Alpha AXP64 was the shit. Best company ever to work for hands down, and I was proud of the products they made, seriously engineered PC's that had to pass a "shake & bake" test. Mount Isa Mines used DEC's standard desktops 5km underground because they were just that good.

Then Compaq bought DEC, and HP bought Compaq. To me it's a bit like Hyundai bought Toyota, then they both got bought by Tata and ended up headquarted in a slum in Mumbai.

Fucking tragic.

The newer HP desktop computers are leaps and bounds better than what they used to be.

The motherboards and power supplies are pretty much all standard sizes.

They have pretty much gotten rid of their proprietary stuff in the last few years from what I have seen.

Dell on the other hand, still uses all proprietary crap. They are decent prebuilt machines, but not really worth repairing once they are out of warranty if the motherboard goes out. Their power supplies anger me as well, but I don't have to deal with trying to get replacement parts out of warranty where I work so it is a moot point.

I don't agree HP makes crap.

I just picked up an hp Spectre 13t-3000 for Xmas rocked and stocked with an i7 Haswell, 8 gb, 256gb SSD, a 1440p touchscreen, Win 8.1 Pro, and WiFi-ac for $1300.

Pretty g-damn spiffy 3.2 pound Ultrabook.

Every company makes crap these days, some more often than others. They all charge a premium for it though. Some more often than others.

Sage, no?

I don't agree HP makes crap.

I just picked up an hp Spectre 13t-3000 for Xmas rocked and stocked with an i7 Haswell, 8 gb, 256gb SSD, a 1440p touchscreen, Win 8.1 Pro, and WiFi-ac for $1300.

Pretty g-damn spiffy 3.2 pound Ultrabook.

Wanna see something sad about that laptop you bought? HP like some other manufacturer's has a whitelist of hardware that they approve of. Like say, mini pci-e wifi adapters. If you look inside your laptop, you'll find at least one in there.

A lot of people prefer the intel adapters, so they buy them and put them in, only to find that it's not on the whitelist. But most of the problems people deal with HP products is the cheap solder. I have a Compaq CQ62 that had this very problem, and I had to go buy a new motherboard for it on Ebay. When I bought this laptop, I totally forgot HP owns Compaq. Immediately I bought 2 year warranty for $100 from HP. I've seen this with HP Dv7's and know exactly what shit I was up against.

But somehow the laptop died after the 2 years warranty and that was a waste of $100. Especially when I had to put a new board in the laptop anyway.

wlanH006Kwm_11735_1.jpg

We don't know what level employees are being released ... they can't have that much manufacturing left in the USA so most of the positions are probably engineering and management (which means they would get much more than $50K) ... also, you have to consider the burdened rate for employees with benefits (in the USA that typically runs about 50% of their salary ... in other countries, especially those in the EU, it can get up to 80%) ... if they are consolidating product lines and outsourcing engineering and manufacturing then they may very well need to lean up their workforce ... remember when IBM did their big reorg in the 90's they cut about 100,000 mid level managers from the company

In the 30+ billion $ company I work for the burdened rate is 200%+. Lets just pick 200%. A $10/hr worker ends up 10 + 2.00 * 10 = $30 an hour.... An engineer $50 + 2.00 * 50 = $150/hr.... People don't understand that workers cost a lot of $$$$. And the "corporate tax" is a seperate add on later!

Maybe they're firing the 5,000 worst performs and slackers, which the make the company stronger as a whole.

Maybe, though you'd think those people would have got caught up one of the many previous purges.

More likely, they're being fired for living somewhere where it's common to pay a decent wage and will be replaced by someone who doesn't.

That seems to be the pattern here, lose x number of thousands here, hire x number of replacement works from India, the Philippines or China.
Then act surprised that cutting staffing costs hasn't magically turned everything around and announce a new tablet / phone nobody much wants. Repeat.

Then who would they have left to promote into management jobs? And what would they do with the 3000 management jobs that would create after firing off everything in management? ;)

Hopefully all of those asshole HP employees that I had to deal with get the pink slip.

HP does a lot more than just build consumer level PCs.

They do printers, ink, servers, and a full-fledged server OS - that from my understanding - runs on some of our newest nuclear subs.

Wanna see something sad about that laptop you bought? HP like some other manufacturer's has a whitelist of hardware that they approve of. Like say, mini pci-e wifi adapters. If you look inside your laptop, you'll find at least one in there.

A lot of people prefer the intel adapters, so they buy them and put them in, only to find that it's not on the whitelist. But most of the problems people deal with HP products is the cheap solder. I have a Compaq CQ62 that had this very problem, and I had to go buy a new motherboard for it on Ebay. When I bought this laptop, I totally forgot HP owns Compaq. Immediately I bought 2 year warranty for $100 from HP. I've seen this with HP Dv7's and know exactly what shit I was up against.

But somehow the laptop died after the 2 years warranty and that was a waste of $100. Especially when I had to put a new board in the laptop anyway.

wlanH006Kwm_11735_1.jpg

I'm sorry about your experience, but the laptop I purchased has an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 AC 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter from the factory. I won't need a "white list" of replacement parts :))

Hopefully they go after the older employees since they cost the most to employ.

Likely this as well, companies often grow and have a lot of people who don't do jack, sometimes you got to cut the slack.. and $250 million is a boat load of cash for any company

I guess the CEO/execs want to make sure they have their 2014 bonus all lined up and ready to go so they don't have to worry about that all year.

First thing I told my friend when he told me he got an interview at HP was dont bother you will probably be let go soon after. He took the job (he had other offers btw). Lo and behold he told me recently they shut down his division and let go about 30 people from it that were recently hired less than a year ago, he was one of them. He also told me that he regrets it because now those other companies arent hiring anymore and he doesnt know what to do. HP has just been a terrible company to work for the last few years, never know when you are going to be let go.

I keep reading about how older people are finding it harder and harder to find any work...:(

Well, as people age they start using their company HMO more which costs money.

Would you rather spend less on folks that are easier to train or spend more on old folks which are pretty set in their ways?

Is HP even relevant in the PC market anymore? I don't really go to Best Buy much, but I don't recall seeing HP's for sale anywhere.

I admit, I had a HP back in the Pentium days.....it still haunts me. It was THAT computer that drove me to build my own. That was the last desktop I've purchased.

Coincidentally I work for HP. TS/ES sector, nothing to do with Personal PC's.

HP is still the worlds largest (or second largest, not sure with Lenovo) personal computer manufacturer. Their computers aren't that bad, they are a huge margin better than they were in late 90's to early 00's. Their Envy notebooks are great, niece got one for her birthday and it looks awesome.

HP is still huge in the business market, just like dell, that is where they make all their money from.

The newer HP desktop computers are leaps and bounds better than what they used to be.

The motherboards and power supplies are pretty much all standard sizes.

They have pretty much gotten rid of their proprietary stuff in the last few years from what I have seen.

Dell on the other hand, still uses all proprietary crap. They are decent prebuilt machines, but not really worth repairing once they are out of warranty if the motherboard goes out. Their power supplies anger me as well, but I don't have to deal with trying to get replacement parts out of warranty where I work so it is a moot point.

they dont make them they outsource them and put their label in them

Also HP has one of the biggest names in Info security with theyr SIEM they should focus on what they are good with and stop trying to enter every market they see

Back