HP Folio 9470m no bootable image found (informational)

djoye

2[H]4U
I'm posting this here because I'm not going to register on HP's forum; I rarely find anything of value on those forums. This is just for informational purposes and contains a solution.

I installed Windows 10 on an HP Folio 9470m laptop months ago, it booted and worked properly until I updated the BIOS. The BIOS was F.66, I updated to F.67. After updating the BIOS, I received the boot error "no bootable image found, notebook will be shutdown". I could get around this message by simply entering and exiting the BIOS after powering on, it would then normally boot to Windows 10.

The laptop was configured to use UEFI, no CSM or legacy stuff enabled. FFS HP forum, stop telling people to enable legacy mode, you lose the fast boot features and that breaks Windows booting if it was installed using UEFI mode. I got the idea that the BIOS update negatively affected the Windows boot loader; Windows boot repair didn't seem to recognize anything so I wiped the drive and started from scratch.

I built a Windows 10 install key, booted to it, used diskpart to clean the drive just to be sure, then re-installed Windows 10 and I've not since been able to reproduce the 'no bootable image found' error.

Back