HP ENVY x360 with FX-9800P

MotionBlur

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone going to bite the bullet on this laptop? The 8+ hours of battery life intrigues me as do all of the "improvements" this gen. Thinking of replacing my HP zBook (4600U/8570M dGPU) with one for a bit higherend gpu performance and possible better battery life.

Isn't it the same problem all over again , nice AMD laptop , bad screen or bad resolution (sometimes both).
And they still wonder why the PC market is in a slump ;) .

It is the same problem we detailed during the Carrizo run last Fall - 15w and more than likely single channel based on the 1x8gb stick. Though they did finally add a 1080p screen :)

im watching for a cheaper model, but i doubt they will package and price it to a point that interests me. Am i mistaken, or does it ship with single channel ddr4?

Wait and find one with duel channel memory. Even my Acer with 7300 chip came with 2x4=8 memory. It may have two slots and you could upgrade it yourself. I would inquire.

Unless someone ships a 35w part with dual-channel to feed it, you're not going to get any higher performance than your 8570M. You'd be better-off spending money on a faster discrete card if you need more gaming performance in a laptop.

Isn't it the same problem all over again , nice AMD laptop , bad screen or bad resolution (sometimes both).
And they still wonder why the PC market is in a slump ;) .

They showed off the envy model in the livestream from amd, It actually looked like it had a decent display,

and it's listed as uwva display (ultra wide viewing angle) suggesting an ips at the very least.

HP ENVY x360 Convertible Laptop (15.6") | HP® Official Store

Also, it supports freesync, in a laptop, for 680, not bad. Not a gaming notebook buy any means, but some lighter games should be fine, even with all the complaints about it only being shipped with single channel ram in this unit (not sure if the mb supports dual channel, it could just be the initial model ships like that, but it's probably the only ram option)

HP laptops are junk, I would never consider purchasing one. I get various models of HP Envy branded laptops/AIOs into my repair business fairly frequently for repair and they all generally have the same issue of motherboard failure due to faulty soldering of the BGA parts. Getting parts for the newer models outside of authorized HP channels is pretty ridiculous too, the motherboards are often $300-500.

They've had this problem since the DV series and possibly before, it's hard to believe they keep pumping this crap out.

HP laptops are junk, I would never consider purchasing one. I get various models of HP Envy branded laptops/AIOs into my repair business fairly frequently for repair and they all generally have the same issue of motherboard failure due to faulty soldering of the BGA parts. Getting parts for the newer models outside of authorized HP channels is pretty ridiculous too, the motherboards are often $300-500.
They've had this problem since the DV series and possibly before, it's hard to believe they keep pumping this crap out.

My old netbook HP DM1 fine , new Kabini laptop after a year and a half down the crapper already.
With some of these companies the care package makes sense because then you don't have to worry about getting screwed over after it just is out of warranty.

My old netbook HP DM1 fine , new Kabini laptop after a year and a half down the crapper already.
With some of these companies the care package makes sense because then you don't have to worry about getting screwed over after it just is out of warranty.

I don't see any point in an extended warranty from the OEM themselves. Often times if something breaks, they just replace it with the same defective part that lasts nearly the same amount of time and breaks again, just this time out of the extended warranty period and you're SOL. The DV 6000/9000 models were notorious for this, I repaired this one DV9000 for a customer three times because HP kept sending replacement boards with the exact same defect.

Extended warranties used to be about "what ifs", but now they're about letting the manufacturer build products ever cheaper and ever more disposable.

I don't see any point in an extended warranty from the OEM themselves. Often times if something breaks, they just replace it with the same defective part that lasts nearly the same amount of time and breaks again, just this time out of the extended warranty period and you're SOL. The DV 6000/9000 models were notorious for this, I repaired this one DV9000 for a customer three times because HP kept sending replacement boards with the exact same defect.

Extended warranties used to be about "what ifs", but now they're about letting the manufacturer build products ever cheaper and ever more disposable.

Well it is easier to prove that it is a design flaw

The wife is looking at on of these,because of the longer battery lie.It's configured different with sky Lake processor and back lit key board.

Honestly I've learned to avoid HP envy laptops from my repair shop as well. Consistently having problems. Cant be worse then a certain Asus model that was black and flipped around. i think it came with a 845m or something. That model we saw every day for like 2 weeks.

I've been holding out for a specific type of AMD laptop or tablet for going on 5 years. This Toshiba with a C2D is getting long in the tooth, but is a trooper. But I digress, all I wanted originally was an Android AMD tablet with 1080p... there has been like 2 as I recall. Both were packing the Z01 which bleh, and one was a Toughbook >$1000 which was absurd. I feel as though the OEMs are still being pressured by Intel to dump AMD into the crap models that really no one cares about, and the fact it's 2016 with shit still shipping with XXXXx720 screens sure doesn't lend much to contradict that thinking.

That being said... I bit on this thing as soon as it was available, because it gave me what I finally wanted (I can run the AndroidX86 should I want Android). Didn't quite expect it'd be a pre-order though. Had hoped it'd be ready to ship right away, but nope... Wasn't ready until Thursday, and... coming direct from China :\ Arrived in Shanghai yesterday, so hopefully it'll make stateside soon.

However, a few things I'm not too pleased with, and are only reinforcing my thoughts on what I mentioned at the start... First is that the AMD model has zero configuration options, no option to pick a 4K screen, which I don't know if I would've but that's not the point, it should've been since the FX9800P has more than enough power to drive 4K desktop environment. But whatever, didn't bother me much in the end. No what bothered me was later on finding out that the reason it comes with a single 8GB DIMM is because THEY ONLY GAVE IT ONE DAMN SLOT! :mad: Why? Don't know, the brand new Intel model with the 4K option comes with 2 DIMM slots. Again, seems a bit fishy if you ask me... I'm sure as well, it'll mean the AMD variant doesn't have the m.2 slot either, like the Intel does. :sigh:

But in the end, it comes with a 1080p screen, touch at that. It's a convertible which is a bonus! 2TB drive, DDR4, and more surprising was the top model Mobile FX. So while the $720 after tax was more than I had hoped to spend for something with virtually no upgrades, I'm not anticipating anyone else offering a comparable device and this thing will hopefully last me half as long as this Toshiba has (2009). :D

Update: It has, much to my surprise, gone straight from China and landed in Memphis, TN! o_0 It's on the opposite end of the state (I'm North of Chattanooga), but it's a lot closer than I anticipated it'd be. However that comes with a smmaaaaaaaall caveat... :(
6Idqvv8xydAN8o25UAJAv9twTcA7D.jpg

I don't know if that's 'normal' or not... I try to stay away from FedEx and UPS, and have not received many items from overseas on top of that. Looks like an invoicing cockup on the shipper's side as it doesn't look like they declared a quantity (which may be a bulk shipment and not an individual package?).
HP slated it for a delivery on the 17th, which at this rate seems plausible. Hoping for sooner though, we'll see. :)

Last edited:
still haven't seen a review of one of these new FX laptop cpus.

Look at the other thread he ran into a BIOS problem which they want him to send the unit back and have a 3 week turn around for the unit ;)

still haven't seen a review of one of these new FX laptop cpus.
Come over to this thread and tell me what you want me to test... (I mean, here is fine too, I can always cross-post it)
[Unboxing/1st Impressions] HP ENVY x360 w/ AMD FX-9800P

As Pieter mentioned, they didn't properly setup the BIOS to run the RAM at the right speed, so there's a potential bottleneck for gaming or memory-intensive stuff. However, day-to-day stuff has been very snappy and responsive in everything I've been doing. AMD has done a fine job with this chip IMO, it's just HP who kinda dropped the ball in certain regards. Nevertheless, with the current price drop on this laptop of $100 ($579), I am liking this a lot more than I was at $679 (I contacted Sales and was reimbursed).

Just let me know what tests you want me to run and if whatever program it is is small enough (I have limited bandwidth) I'll be more than happy to run it. :)

Hey guys I have a problem with FX 9800p CPU or APU...When I’m playing Dota 2 my laptop is very slow and I can’t play well... is a HP Envy x360 with this APU...I cleaned the laptop inside but I’m still thinking that HP has something controlling the temp of the CPU because at 65 Celsius the CPU start to slow GHz... is something very strange...help me...thanks!

Hey guys I have a problem with FX 9800p CPU or APU...When I’m playing Dota 2 my laptop is very slow and I can’t play well... is a HP Envy x360 with this APU...I cleaned the laptop inside but I’m still thinking that HP has something controlling the temp of the CPU because at 65 Celsius the CPU start to slow GHz... is something very strange...help me...thanks!

they probably have a max temp limit set in the bios.. if it was running fine before it's possible it may be time to redo the thermal paste on the cpu.

they probably have a max temp limit set in the bios.. if it was running fine before it's possible it may be time to redo the thermal paste on the cpu.

I would say it's probably power limit throttling. AMD has the TDP set at 15W, which is completely unrealistic for a Bulldozer part, let alone an APU with an IGP as well. I bet if he opened hardware monitor or Windows task manager with dota 2 running, all four "cores" are probably tanked as low as they can go.

The FX-9800P also only has a thermal junction of 90C, so it's going to throttle back a lot earlier than an Intel part would.

Back