HP EliteDesk 800 G4 Mini for parents general usage?

LTZ

Weaksauce
Wondering if anyone has a better alternative suggestion for a general usage pc for my parents. I have been chronically ill for a long time and am starting to recover enough now that I want to start going through my parents setup and upgrade things a bit. I was thinking the 8500T and 16GB of ram looked pretty decent but maybe there is a better deal I am missing. I always liked the off lease HP Elite units personally have had good luck in the past.

Those refurbished HP & Dell machines are great for mom & pop users, I've bought, set-up & given many of them to the parents/grandparents of many folks I know, nottaproblemo :D

The only thing I have seen at work with out SFF HP Slim PCs (the ones that look like a stack of CDs) is the fans fail on them. For us it was over 50% failure rate.

The only thing I have seen at work with out SFF HP Slim PCs (the ones that look like a stack of CDs) is the fans fail on them. For us it was over 50% failure rate.
Alot of times, this is simply due to lack of cleaning, which is a typical oversight in many office environments, but can also be fixed for ~$12 :D

Check the for sale forum here, these show up there from time to time.

I bought one from the for sale forum to use as a server. At $80-$100 it works great for web browsing and spreadsheets. Also able to play less demanding games like roblox and minecraft when my kids have friends over.

I bought my parents the HP EliteDesk 800 1G SFF (4570+16GB DDR3) and Dell Optiplex 3020 (4570+8GB+SSD) each for like $150-200 CAD and they are plenty fast for what parents need (including streaming @1080p). They boot into Windows super fast, quiet and take up very little space. Highly recommend it. I'm tempted to buy myself one to connect to the TV.

I bought my parents a used Asus mini-pc with a Ryzen 5500 APU in it from someone right here on the [H]. I added 16gigs of RAM and a 500GB NVME and my parents are happy. Replaced a standard aged HP desktop with an old AMD Fusion era APU and a hard drive. There is so much excess CPU power now-a-days it's hard to go wrong.

I have 2 of the SFF versions of the EliteDesk 800 G4 (both have the i5-8500 and 32GB of ram) I use one in my bedroom for general internet and YouTube (cat videos LoL) usage and the other is a Hackintosh.

Back