HP EliteBook 8440p i5-520M*128GB SSD*8GB RAM*nVidia 3100M*Win7 Pro x64 $399.99 FS

DejaWiz

Fully [H]
If anyone is looking for a pretty solid business-class laptop that's nicely equipped, Newegg is selling them for $400 shipped.

HP makes a nice docking station for these that have VGA, DVI, and DP (A7E32AA#ABA, or smartbuy discounted price sku A7E32UT#ABA)

http://www.neweggflash.com/product/9SIA3TX22N1930

Could be a nice little make-shift HTPC that can be slipped into a travel bag.

Besides being a refurb, this is a 4yr old first gen i5 laptop fyi.

Look at it this way:
8GB RAM $75
128GB SSD $60
Win 7 Pro x64 $140

That $275 worth of value-add on top of an Intel i5 (will house an i7-720QM or i7-740QM) with dedicated graphics and the upgraded 1600x900 screen. For the price, you're getting a lot of laptop, imo.

There are also high capacity 9-cell and 12-cell batteries aside from the bottom-mountable optional battery.

I used to work for HP in manufacturing, run-in, and repair. I assure everyone reading this thread that HP's refurbishing testing processes are no different than what they subject their brand new systems to.

There are refubished 8460P's (newer design) on eBay all the time with i5-2520M /AMD 6470M / 1600x900 for lower than $399. Don't care much about 1600x900 or dedicated graphics? The ones without that are $249 easily on eBay that look like new. Some even come with non quad i7's for $20-$30 more..

I've bought a few 8460p's from various sellers that stated them to be refrusbished and most have shipped in hp refurb boxes and all of the units I received were in near new condition with maybe one small ding on lid or on corner..

Another choice from this would be the Lenovo T420 that comes with the 4200M and has the 900p screen as well. No ssd? Buy one off the forums and break even at $399. (T420)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are refubished 8460P's (newer design) on eBay all the time with i5-2520M /AMD 6470M / 1600x900 for lower than $399. Don't care much about 1600x900 or dedicated graphics? The ones without that are $249 easily on eBay that look like new. Some even come with non quad i7's for $20-$30 more..

I've bought a few 8460p's from various sellers that stated them to be refrusbished and most have shipped in hp refurb boxes and all of the units I received were in near new condition with maybe one small ding on lid or on corner..

Another choice from this would be the Lenovo T420 that comes with the 4200M and has the 900p screen as well. No ssd? Buy one off the forums and break even at $399. (T420)

This. The OPs deal here is pretty poor, and the larger battery won't matter since the power needs of a first gen I-series is much higher

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I don't care much about the deal specifics but HP has the worst engineering and support of any company I have dealt with and this processor comes directly out of a time when HP was probably the worst it had ever been.

You could upgrade the CPU and then need to upgrade the battery too or you could just buy a more modern CPU with integrated graphics that could go longer on a smaller battery and perform better.

1. I don't care much about the deal specifics but HP has the worst engineering and support of any company I have dealt with and this processor comes directly out of a time when HP was probably the worst it had ever been.

2. You could upgrade the CPU and then need to upgrade the battery too or you could just buy a more modern CPU with integrated graphics that could go longer on a smaller battery and perform better.

1. Bullshit. Almost all OEM laptops are largely designed and manufactured with off the shelf parts by either Foxconn or Asus. HP's business support is fantastic. Consumer side...well, we all know. And this being an enterprise class EliteBook, it's a far cry better than any run of the mill consumer grade HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc.

2. If you feel it's not a good deal, then don't buy it. Feel free to link to other laptops that we will all agree on being a better value for the specs.

Sure, almost anyone can buy a laptop on the cheap then upgrade things like the RAM, CPU, HDD/SSD, and OS, but I still stand firmly that this is a good value for "out of the box" equipment and options. Would make a great Linux laptop, to boot.

1. Bullshit. Almost all OEM laptops are largely designed and manufactured with off the shelf parts by either Foxconn or Asus. HP's business support is fantastic. Consumer side...well, we all know. And this being an enterprise class EliteBook, it's a far cry better than any run of the mill consumer grade HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, etc.

2. If you feel it's not a good deal, then don't buy it. Feel free to link to other laptops that we will all agree on being a better value for the specs.

Sure, almost anyone can buy a laptop on the cheap then upgrade things like the RAM, CPU, HDD/SSD, and OS, but I still stand firmly that this is a good value for "out of the box" equipment and options. Would make a great Linux laptop, to boot.

Wonderful but that has nothing to do with what rudy said in the quoted post.

That's not a bad deal considering no SSD, no dGP, no DVD-RW, half the system RAM, and less screen res. :p

Did you even look at the laptop I posted?

No SSD (which I stated), no "dGP" (which I also stated), it does have a DVDRW, and it has the same amount of ram as the OP laptop. The screen res is lower, however anything below 1080p to me is stupid and to low that it doesn't really matter.

Would take a 8460P over that 6420.

Last edited:
Did you even look at the laptop I posted?

No SSD (which I stated), no "dGP" (which I also stated), it does have a DVDRW, and it has the same amount of ram as the OP laptop. The screen res is lower, however anything below 1080p to me is stupid and to low that it doesn't really matter.

Specs show DVD-ROM, not RW...and 4GB for this Dell vs 8GB for the HP I posted.

[edit]
...see the 8GB and DVD-RW now. For some reason, it was showing me the specs for this one.

Last edited:
Does it matter if quanta makes everyones laptops if HP tells them to build something that doesn't work they will do it. Every laptop in the past 5 years I have allowed or seen a friend purchase from HP has some sort of major problem. My sister has gone through 2 and sent them in more than 8 times between the 2 and the problems were NEVER solved. Eventually HP just says sorry your warranty is up completely disregarding the hell they put the person through that's called no service. One they told her that the laptop was too powerful and couldn't dissipate heat. Oh yeah, then WTF did you allow us to configure such a laptop that was NOT in your own words engineered to be able to handle the parts we put in it? The last time she sent that laptop in they told her if they didn't solve the problem they would let her pick out a different laptop, then when it didn't solve the problem they just said no actually we cant do that for you. I am open and fair about laptops and shoot people as strait as possible HP is pretty much the only company I can no longer recommend. They do nothing but copy apple except they forget to copy the quality lol.

Eventually when you get screwed enough times in person you stop listening to what the people out there try to argue. No other laptop brand of the ones I have has so many problems. Broken screens, broken bios, overheating problems galore. Most people I know have a problem where they hold on to an old laptop too long, people who I know with HP laptops are forced to upgrade by it failing.

I hear the argument its all the same but it isn't, and even if the parts are the same you still have the service. I will say it now HP is the new GM.

My wife has the E6420 and the only problem that I've found with it is that the original audio jack has a tendency to get stuck in the "active" position, thus making the speakers not work. A replacement to the audio jack controller fixed the issue.

The elitebooks are nice, however with it being a first gen i5, that's why I'd choose the 2nd gen i7 E6420.

The elitebooks are nice, however with it being a first gen i5, that's why I'd choose the 2nd gen i7 E6420.

Or hop over to woot they have the Lenovo T420 with a 2nd get i5 for $289. That'se before Lenovo went with the chiclet keyboard. The sreen is only 13x7 though :mad:

Or hop over to woot they have the Lenovo T420 with a 2nd get i5 for $289. That'se before Lenovo went with the chiclet keyboard. The sreen is only 13x7 though :mad:

You beat me to it. I started a new thread with a link to the T420.

I'm going have to weigh in and agree with DejaWiz. This IS a good deal for a COMPLETE laptop that'll take on any task you can through at it. The other laptops that are being thrown out are great as well, but will still need additional $$ to bring up the similar specs, either missing RAM, SSD, or just lower res screens. These are also physically quite tough as well.

For those of us that can frankenstein together a laptop, this is a decent deal. But for someone that either doesn't have that skillset and/or the time to upgrade, this is a great deal!

Back