HP EliteBook 6930p Core 2 DuoP8600 2.4GHz 2GB 500GB -- $259.99

Wow thats a great deal! I believe these units still run DDR2 as its still chugging along with a C2D chip. Also the battery life is around 3-5 hrs depending on usage...and screen brightness.
Slap a SSD in this puppy and you will literally have a tank! seriously these things are rugged and designed for abuse.

This is the exact laptop that I was provided for work. If you add 2 GB more of RAM (yes, it's DDR2), it can be alright, but mine certainly chokes under our enterprise software stuff. Throw an SSD in there for good measure.

This is the exact laptop that I was provided for work. If you add 2 GB more of RAM (yes, it's DDR2), it can be alright, but mine certainly chokes under our enterprise software stuff. Throw an SSD in there for good measure.

Yup, these are probably off-lease corporate machines. Usually most large organizations have a 3 or 4 year computer lifecycle, I remember deploying these back in 2010 and for that time they were nice laptops. For this price this would be a great beater, field laptop, or light duty laptop.

Haha, I saw the picture and thought "this looks familiar"...

Look down and it's practically the same look as the laptop I'm using right now at work (though this is an EliteBook 8530p).

Nice build quality, not overly fast, though.

I dont have a brand preference but it seems a tad overpriced to me. Id rather have a dell E6410 or lenovo T400 which ive seen priced around $175-199 more then a few times.

In for one. Pretty good deal, my brother needs a second laptop (he has a mac but needs a PC for business school) and this should handle spreadsheets and that easily. I'll toss in an SSD and some more RAM next time I see him.

That's why I like the Elitebook as well. They were the company laptops for the place I worked out before and they're very solidly built. The sad thing about moving from the $8-1200 laptop range to the $5-800 range is that the build quality / fit and finish really go down the toilet. You end up with really flimsy plastic and an overall poor feel.

Not really into the 14" notebooks, if a person is looking for a $200 C2D notebook, an HP 8710W is a real solid choice. There are plenty available with 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 screens and not too bad at gaming either.. Knocks the snot out of my new core i3/i5 and A8 notebooks in every game I've tried so far. Just do your best to get a Quadro FX 3600m if you can although the 1600m will hold its own.

If it has a beat up lid cover, palmrest, or base...no sweat. Each one of those can be had for new for $25 or under on eBay. So you could purchase an 8710W all beat up and make it look new again for cheap.

There's also a an 8510w 15 inch. I believe you can upgrade those to the 1600m.

Best,

LC

Now back at $279.99. Still a pretty sharp deal though!

They have some other good deals too.. like this Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3TB drive, brand new for $124.99..

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...&utm_content=Grid&utm_campaign=OPTI70_22May13

... or this Dell Latitude D830 Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz 4GB 320GB DVD±RW 15.4" and nVidia Quadro video (refurb) for $269.99..

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?In...m_content=Product&utm_campaign=OPTI70_22May13

... plus the "May Clearance" listings..

http://www.geeks.com/sales.asp

Last edited:
Add around $20-$40 and you can find laptops with first gen core i series processors.

These run a lot cheaper on eBay as well, cold deal.

But not professional grade laptops like an elitebook.

A Dell E6410 w/ i5 is around $279.99-$300. An it has teh "prefessional" build to it. For $259 you don't need to be buying C2D processor laptops. Have nothing against hp or the 6930p. However the price for it is way off.

As a long time computer technician I can't really recommend this model since every unit in this product line comes defective from the factory. The lid won't stay closed unless you disassemble the base and install a small metal clip.

The part you need can be found here:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=620341-001
These packages come with 25 of these clips but you only need one per laptop. Looks like it costs $70 after shipping.

Subtotal: $279.99
Sales Tax: $22.40
Shipping Method
Ground Service (2-3 business days) $19.00

ya such a "hot" deal.. 320+$ for a c2d with sub par specs? bought my grandma a i3 with 750gb and 4gb ram for 270$ new ;)

IF this had a gfx card or a high res screen or bigger screen or umm i dunno how it is i hot tho im so confused. its used and 90 day warranty.

Subtotal: $279.99
Sales Tax: $22.40
Shipping Method
Ground Service (2-3 business days) $19.00

ya such a "hot" deal.. 320+$ for a c2d with sub par specs? bought my grandma a i3 with 750gb and 4gb ram for 270$ new ;)

IF this had a gfx card or a high res screen or bigger screen or umm i dunno how it is i hot tho im so confused. its used and 90 day warranty.

How is the build quality on that $320 c2d ? Probably throw-away.

Some of us are tired of replacing our laptops every 2 years because stupid, badly designed hinges, screens, keyboards, trackpads or other crap, BREAK.

I know that because this is a computer hardware forum you guys are all stuck up on the system specs. This machine is perfect for normal office computing. And the build quality is absolutely bulletproof. We have about 200 of these in deployment at work and believe me if our users can't kill them they must be pretty resilient. The build quality of this laptop is sooo far above anything you will get for $300 now. Keep in mind this machine was probably around $1200 new. This would make a fantastic laptop for a college student, office work, etc.

As a long time computer technician I can't really recommend this model since every unit in this product line comes defective from the factory. The lid won't stay closed unless you disassemble the base and install a small metal clip.

The part you need can be found here:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=620341-001
These packages come with 25 of these clips but you only need one per laptop. Looks like it costs $70 after shipping.

After having 120 or so of these in the office for several years, I can say I've seen maybe 4 cases of those clips failing and the lid popping open after being closed. Just wanted to lend my perspective on the same issue. I was the guy you had to go through to get HP service on any notebook issue (we had 3 year on site complete coverage for each one, which also covers accidental damage).

Otherwise I did find them to be extremely good notebooks. I've seen a few users who have dropped them, and you can barely tell where the notebook hit the ground. All around super tough construction. Decent power still for damn near any business application in common use.

Well, my brother finally got his and this was his experience:

I actually ended up returning that laptop because the top cover was warped in a way that prevented the laptop from closing and made using the trackpad difficult. I don't mind cosmetic damage, but this was very obviously something that affected the functionality of the product. It annoyed me that they didn't just fix that during the refurbishment and it annoyed me even more that they didn't respond yet to the email I sent them last week. I just told them that I'm sending it back for a refund and I'll never buy anything from them again. I know that I could have easily replaced the top cover, but I guess I sent it back for the principle.

Last time buying from them or getting a refurb I suppose.

Back