HP DM1 or Thinkpad x120e

notsane

Gawd
I think I would like the matte screen and extra 1GB of ram on the thinkpad over the consumer friendly look and feel of the HP (with glossy screen.. yuck!). I also don't want to wait a month for the HP to ship (can get the x120e to ship right away for $530). The only HP DM1 I can find ready to ship is $100 more than the HP store $550 (newegg). Seems like the thinkpad is an easy choice, no?

dont understand the title, you pretty much answered the question for yourself lol :D

Well I have an X120e and I absolutely love it. I did ditch Windows for Linux on day 1, but I love my choice and wouldn't have it any other way. I can't speak on how things work in Windows, but...

The trackpad works amazing in Linux and the two finger scrolling is very handy. The buttons/keys feel solid and like they won't break any time soon.

The display is very nice as well. It's matte, so that sounds like a good thing for you (me too).

Anywho, look around for coupons as well, because Lenovo always has deals going on, and you can probably drive that price down some more (I got one with the E350 for $400 shipped).

Hope this helps, but it looks like you already decided on the Thinkpad anyway.

That totally helps! Thanks!

I will look for coupons, but I want to get one fast. I am too impatient to wait :)

That totally helps! Thanks!

I will look for coupons, but I want to get one fast. I am too impatient to wait :)
This is from slickdeals:
1. Go to mastercard market place [mastercard.com] if you have an ID with them. This is just for getting wow points, although I don't know what I can do with this. (or you can just go directly to lenovo corporate perks [i2.com], and go to step 3 below.)

2. Search for lenovo, you'll get a 5% off link which leads you to lenovo corporate perks site [i2.com].

3. Configure your X120

4. Apply coupon code LENOVOVIP which gives you 15% off. (No additional coupon codes will work)

5. Checkout as guest using any credit card, or use your lenovo corporate ID if you have any.

save youself some dough and get the 2GB E350 version for 450 or and add BT if you like for 470 pretax and shipping (if applicable) the extra 2GB is NOT worth the extra 80......

I think I would like the matte screen and extra 1GB of ram on the thinkpad over the consumer friendly look and feel of the HP (with glossy screen.. yuck!). I also don't want to wait a month for the HP to ship (can get the x120e to ship right away for $530). The only HP DM1 I can find ready to ship is $100 more than the HP store $550 (newegg). Seems like the thinkpad is an easy choice, no?

Both are great.
I have a x120e (e350) 2GB and a DM1z I am selling both.
Let me know via PM if you are interested.
The x120e is slightly used (like new), the DM1z is sealed in box.

Reason for selling? Upgrading.

save youself some dough and get the 2GB E350 version for 450 or and add BT if you like for 470 pretax and shipping (if applicable) the extra 2GB is NOT worth the extra 80......

This is what I did. The processor you can't upgrade yourself, but the RAM you can (opening the case is stupid-easy and you have access to everything, so that's nice). DDR3-1066 SO-DIMMs are really coming down in price...

I would order the 2GB version and upgrade to 8GB if I could stand to wait. I am not sure that I can. I may just bite the bullet and pay the full $529 + overnight shipping $29 and have this thing Tuesday. Still waffling though. I have wanted a netbook for years, but this seems like the first real computer in the range to come out.

It's definitely an impressive little computer. I got it running very lean in Linux (but with a lot of animations and such enabled so it is still easy on the eyes) and it rarely goes over 350MB used in RAM, for what it's worth.

When I use Windows 7 on my PC at work my RAM usage rarely went over 700MB. I'm not so sure that so much RAM is necessary, except for specific circumstances.

I put in a 32GB SSD I bought on Newegg and that was a big bump in performance. Not sure if you're opposed to Linux but I don't know that Windows 7 would comfortably fit on 32GB (I could be wrong).

just searched and couldnt find an answer.

I assume the HP dm1 does NOT support SATA 3 SSD drives, correct?

It's definitely an impressive little computer. I got it running very lean in Linux (but with a lot of animations and such enabled so it is still easy on the eyes) and it rarely goes over 350MB used in RAM, for what it's worth.

When I use Windows 7 on my PC at work my RAM usage rarely went over 700MB. I'm not so sure that so much RAM is necessary, except for specific circumstances.

I put in a 32GB SSD I bought on Newegg and that was a big bump in performance. Not sure if you're opposed to Linux but I don't know that Windows 7 would comfortably fit on 32GB (I could be wrong).
Hi,
I am planning to buy one of these. Really confused between the HP DM1 and the Lenovo X120e. Can you please recommend one?
Also I would like to know, which Linux flavor worked on the X120e flawlessly.

DM1z has glossy screen, x120 has matte screen.....but x130 is out now, so you might want to take a look at that.

I'd personally take the x120e over the DM1z, but that's because I'm a fan of Thinkpads.

The x130e is very similar to the x120e but it's semi-rugged -- I hear it weighs more, which irritates some people.

Thanks to whoever posted that Slickdeals link!

Edit: What kinds of SSD can be put into x120e by the way? I'd want to add one most likely. I assume it'd be the same for the x130e?

I wasn't a fan of the E-350 version of the DM1-3XXX because the trackpad was horrible. I've heard that the new DM1-4XXX with either the E-450 or the i3 is significantly better, but I haven't had the disposable funds to check it out myself.

My money would be with the x120e/x130e. I've never had an issue with a Thinkpad.

Back