HP desktop. post screen hangs, cpu is 62c

Bo_Bice

Gawd
my friends HP is in bad shape. the motherboard is a gigabyte GA-7N400L with athlon xp 2600+. everytime you reboot, the post screen will freeze for about 2 minutes. then it will continue as normal. if you press delete at the very beginning, it will remember you did, and will go into bios after those 2 minutes.

i noticed the CPU was at 62c while just being between the post screen and bios, the heatsink was not very warm, the fan was working great, even 2 case fans. can I assume someone at HP mounted the heatsink wrong?

I also flashed the bios with the newest one. can i also assume that the bios hang and temperature are one in the same problem? im probably going to call HP to just to see what they say, but thought id ask here as well. thanks

Pull off the HSF and clean off the old Thermal tape off the heatsink and the cpu. Put some arctic silver 5 on , see if that helps. :confused:

well i did that(had some extra AS5). temps went down, plus i underclocked it a little, so max it goes now is 50c. but still that hang at bios occurs. really weird. i tried fail-safe defaults, i even tried reverting to an older bios. unplugging all drives. i think its just a bad bios chip maybe

could be bad Bios. Do you have post error codes enabled in the bios? If not you can enable it and check the post error code online ( if it throws a code ) .

It might be a bad stick of ram. I built a rig for someone a few months ago that had a bad stick of ram , odd thing was that it did not throw a post error. I switched to another stick of ram and its worked .

:confused:

get latest bios for GA-7N400L and flash it, try loading bios defaults and see if that fixes the problem.

another suggestion for the boot pauses is to check hard disks and optical drive jumpers, sometimes while set to cable select weid things happen even when the units work ok in windows

oldmx

OldMX said:
get latest bios for GA-7N400L and flash it, try loading bios defaults and see if that fixes the problem.

another suggestion for the boot pauses is to check hard disks and optical drive jumpers, sometimes while set to cable select weid things happen even when the units work ok in windows

QFT, try back after the above measures have been performed

Back