HP Chromebook has blue artifacting quite often.

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I got one of the HP Chromebooks from CDW Outlet for I think $93 shipped ( it was like $70 itself so no top quality notebook. But CDW's retail on the model was $250 ). It is however a current product and up to date

Playing youtube videos I notice there is a lot of blue artifacting happening on the video screen seemingly only on things that are tan ish in color.. I figured ok whatever, I really don't care. I bought this thing to watch instructional how to videos in my garage where quality won't matter much. However, after watching a review on Geforce Now playing on a chrome book. I got an idea and installed the Steam Link app, which Chromeos appears to support and it works perfectly... However I played a couple mins of Mad Max and the blue artifacting is everywhere. Playable but it's everywhere. So now I'm wondering how to figure out if this is hardware or software related?

cdw, new or refurb?
hook up an external monitor. still does it, the gpu is glitchy. if it goes away its the screen or cable. start by cleaning and reseating the display cable.

Was sold to me as Used- like new. But it came to me looking brand new with HP packaging still in place just 'opened'

This is an " Education Edition " chromebook. It has no HDMI, just a USB C and a USB 3 port. So I'll need to purchase an adapter for that test

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Yup. I'm debating if it's worth trying to fix it or just live with it or replace it and gift this one off. I'm not 'sold' on the Chrome OS although it's not bad.

This Evoo laptop is only $110 and would do what I want also having windows 10. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVOO-Not...GB-RAM-64GB-HD-Windows-10-Home-Blue/691975210

But a 6400 Series Dell Latitude or something would also do what I want is all over Ebay

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yup. I'm debating if it's worth trying to fix it or just live with it or replace it and gift this one off. I'm not 'sold' on the Chrome OS although it's not bad.

This Evoo laptop is only $110 and would do what I want also having windows 10. https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVOO-Not...GB-RAM-64GB-HD-Windows-10-Home-Blue/691975210

But a 6400 Series Dell Latitude or something would also do what I want is all over Ebay
think you might have had a wrong quote stuck in there...
1645829032888.png

it all you want is a light weight browser, that will work fine. the 6400s might be a bit more powerful but are yuge in comparison.

View attachment 448058

it all you want is a light weight browser, that will work fine. the 6400s might be a bit more powerful but are yuge in comparison.

yup. I fixed it.. I don't like the way the quote system works. Can miss them sometimes. I usually catch it. I've had several 6400 series and yeah they are really too big for what I want. But the price to performance is good. I just retired a 6420 from being my plex server after it started to have major hardware faliure and flickering screen. I had it running for 2 years though

It's probably worth doing the chrome power wash and make sure it's up to date to see if that helps. And poke at HP support to see if there's any warranty. Might just be a tradeoff for the price.

View attachment 448058

I was confused LOL. I didn't even comment in the thread but my comment showed up somewhere and I got a notification.

One thing to watch with the very cheap Chromebooks is the soc used in them. Some of them are coming up on their EOL for update status. Not a bad idea to check that out with Google before buying a cheap Chromebook.

I have one that is perfectly functioning but runs out of updates in June.

One thing to watch with the very cheap Chromebooks is the soc used in them. Some of them are coming up on their EOL for update status. Not a bad idea to check that out with Google before buying a cheap Chromebook.

This one was released in 2020 I think, and it's still a current product. It just received a Chrome OS update today.

CDW still sells the model on their main site and it's $228. It's on HP's site for $170 right now. Being an education model it might have a longer support life, while not having the extra ports but I couldn't seem to find an EOL date for it. The notebook itself has a decent build quality though the screen is not the best.

This is what HP has for a listing. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-chromebook-11mk-g9-education-edition-p-436b7ut-aba-1

GalliumOS says updates forever, provided your system is on that supported list.

This one was released in 2020 I think, and it's still a current product. It just received a Chrome OS update today.

CDW still sells the model on their main site and it's $228. It's on HP's site for $170 right now. Being an education model it might have a longer support life, while not having the extra ports but I couldn't seem to find an EOL date for it. The notebook itself has a decent build quality though the screen is not the best.

This is what HP has for a listing. https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-chromebook-11mk-g9-education-edition-p-436b7ut-aba-1

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

Looks like you're good for a while if you look under HP then Chromebook 11 G9.

GalliumOS says updates forever, provided your system is on that supported list.

How are the drivers with it? Touchscreens work?

How are the drivers with it? Touchscreens work?
For my hardware the drivers are excellent. Chrome OS is Linux based, so the drivers exist, it's just whether or not they are gpl or proprietary. That system is so new it's not even on the list, so check back later or ask on the forums.

For my hardware the drivers are excellent. Chrome OS is Linux based, so the drivers exist, it's just whether or not they are gpl or proprietary. That system is so new it's not even on the list, so check back later or ask on the forums.

I have an older Acer R11 with a quad core celeron that works fine, but Auto Update ends in June. Looking at my options for it. (sorry for the threadjack)

If I were the OP, I wouldn't bother with swapping out Chrome OS on essentially a brand new chromebook.

Reactions: travm
like this
I have an older Acer R11 with a quad core celeron that works fine, but Auto Update ends in June. Looking at my options for it. (sorry for the threadjack)

If I were the OP, I wouldn't bother with swapping out Chrome OS on essentially a brand new chromebook.

I looked into it, since it was so cheap, but yeah in my case it makes no sense.

https://mrchromebox.tech/#home has pretty much everything you can do with a chromebook that is not ChromeOS covered. It's entirely possible that yours might run Windows 10, or a variation of Linux including Gallium

I bought my chromebook explicitly to have a fanless mini laptop that would run CAD software on linux. So I guess thats why I did exactly that.

For your Acer, i'd need the actual model number, its on the sticker on the back. Or you could just look that up on this table;

https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

I have an ACER CB-131 and its been the best piece of tech i've ever bought. Fanless, and battery lasts hella long. Linux turns it into a real PC too.

Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) is the one I have. It's on the list. I just need a firmware update. Of course, I did just buy a refurb Spin 713 so I'll probably just use that instead :D.

Reactions: travm
like this
Affirm just sent me a thing for 0% financing at HP so I've been eyeballing this laptop https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/h...ile_laptops_15_2h5a8av-1_hp-pavilion-laptop--

Not really sure I need all that power considering my uses.. I've been just dealing with the Chromebook for now. But I may see if I can warranty it

EDIT.. Chrome Book is under warranty until october of 2022 for sure, but HP also says it has 44 months left on an extended warranty.

Last edited:
thats a pretty decent unit for that price. will dance circles around a chromebook and run real programs, probably even some 720p gaming.
That's what I was thinking. Considering the 5500U is about 90% as fast as an R5 3600 which is what my desktop runs and the Vega graphics seem decent.

Back