HP Brings Back Windows 7 'By Popular Demand'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Do you think something like this will get people to buy a new PC?

HP really wants people to buy a Windows 7 PC instead of a Windows 8 machine. The PC maker has been emailing customers over the weekend noting that "Windows 7 is back." A new promotion, designed to entice people to select Windows 7 over Windows 8 with $150 of "savings," has launched on HP’s website with a "back by popular demand" slogan. The move is clearly designed to position Windows 7 over Microsoft’s touch-centric Windows 8 operating system.

Well, they have the right to sell Windows 7 until late this year. I'm surprised they ditched it altogether. Seems like suicide given Windows 8's reception. Maybe they are trying to cash in on enterprises having to move from XP by April and HP knows they will be going towards other OEM's that still offer Windows 7.

Yeah, Windows 8 is terrific.

I love having two separate desktops that operate in completely different manners, and apps that take up the entire screen is an awesome concept(inspired by the Commodore 64 no doubt).

I got the email. Just a couple of models that you can't customize. Not the important stuff anyway. Just looked to me that they are trying to get rid of some overstock.

Never knew they stopped selling Win7 PC's. We're an HP partner and order all of our PC's with Win7. Never had a problem.

people hate change. The same fights happen with every os change. I use 7 at work and 8 at home, both work fine. I'm personally happy that the high price tag is gone. How many people complaining about windows 8 changes even paid for 7 to begin with. (not accusing you guys here, just in general)

"people hate change".

I'm getting tired of being accused of "hating change" because I dislike, like so many others, Windows 8.

Did it ever occur to these shallow thinkers that not all change is for the better?

I've been an early adopter since the very first version of Windows. I'm been running Windows 8 on my office computer since it was in beta, in order to ensure I'm familiar enough with it to provide support. I think the UI sucks for a desktop, and it's not because I'm some neanderthal resistant to "change".

I've always thought the UI for windows sucked in the past, and there was ways to "fix" it then just as there are ways to "fix" Windows 8 to your liking. If you don't like the UI, change it. Pretty simple...

"people hate change".

I'm getting tired of being accused of "hating change" because I dislike, like so many others, Windows 8.

Did it ever occur to these shallow thinkers that not all change is for the better?

I've been an early adopter since the very first version of Windows. I'm been running Windows 8 on my office computer since it was in beta, in order to ensure I'm familiar enough with it to provide support. I think the UI sucks for a desktop, and it's not because I'm some neanderthal resistant to "change".

change for better is specific to each persons needs. I myself operate faster in win 8 than i was able to in win7, not really because of the lack of a start button but because of the overall os performance. I try to look at it as a whole and not just "they took my start button".

I do feel they could have easily made a lot of people happy had they just included the ability to toggle between the two. I like the start window when i remote into my desktop from a tablet, but other than that, i never see/use it.

HP is an OEM so if there are people holding out for Windows 9, they're pretty smart to take advantage of those people who want a newer laptop / machine with Windows 7 instead of 8. They never said they were getting rid of 8.

Windows 8 is a good to great OS after installing Classic Shell. I alternate between metro UI and the desktop and I actually enjoy having the flexibility of both interfaces. Obviously, not everyone feels the same way :)

Eliminating the Start menu was done as a way to force users to use Metro. As we all know, there's no technical reason to have eliminated it.

Microsoft wants you off the desktop, into Metro and more importantly, into their app store.

I like the under the hood Win8 improvements, but MS's attempt to force customers to use a UI inappropriate for desktop's (particularly non-touch PC's) as a backdoor way to boost their revenue has been a disaster.

Word is that even MS staff considers Win8 to be a disaster, hence the rush to Win9.

Eliminating the Start menu was done as a way to force users to use Metro. As we all know, there's no technical reason to have eliminated it.

Microsoft wants you off the desktop, into Metro and more importantly, into their app store.

I like the under the hood Win8 improvements, but MS's attempt to force customers to use a UI inappropriate for desktop's (particularly non-touch PC's) as a backdoor way to boost their revenue has been a disaster.

Word is that even MS staff considers Win8 to be a disaster, hence the rush to Win9.

Welcome to yesterday's news.

"people hate change".

This guy clearly hate changes

Eh, I dropped HP from my company's purchase list not because of the OS but because the past three generations of ProBooks 4420s, 4430s and 4440s were of terrible quality. Every single DVD drives from our 4420s stock were unable to read burned discs, and there were many problems with the 4430s and 4440s models. Prior to these ProBooks I was pretty happy with HP's Folio, Business Notebook and Elitebook models. Not sure how they dropped the ball so badly.

We're giving Lenovo a shot now with with their Yoga Pro hybrid and ThinkPad Tablet 2 and Miix 2 tablets.

I use 7 at work and 8 at home, both work fine.

From a functional standpoint - with regards to the desktop - they both work basically the same, but aesthetically I hate the clutter in the Windows 8 start screen. And if you clear the clutter then it looks empty and sad.

Very happy with Lenovo at my company. ThinkCenters have been very solid performers for us.

We have a few Tablet 2 and ThinkPad Edge 15 already and they're great quality-wise. I only wish Lenovo would lay off the bundles and custom replacements of features that's already in Windows, like power management, battery indicators and all.

I don't like Win8 either. Never mind that the general rule with MS is to get every other OS.

Windows XP - Good
Vista- SUCK
Win 7 - Good
Win 8 - SUCK
Win 9 - ?

I don't like Win8 either. Never mind that the general rule with MS is to get every other OS.

Windows XP - Good
Vista- SUCK
Win 7 - Good
Win 8 - SUCK
Win 9 - ?

Vista was good, especially after SP1 and SP2. (64 Bit anyways.) XP was not the cats pajamas when it first came out but, I did like it back then.

Vista was good, especially after SP1 and SP2. (64 Bit anyways.) XP was not the cats pajamas when it first came out but, I did like it back then.

Oh, and the only issue with ME was that it was not stable. The speed and new features where good but MS never really put much effort into it in my opinion.

if you like a tablet touchscreen, then you need windows 8, and windows 8 isntn't that bad, took me 10 minute to getting use to it, basically its windows 7 with a start menu converted into an application surface with windows shortcuts, easy and fun, don't see why people complains, and all the glitches or bugs found, please report it to microsoft so they can fix it asap.

I thought the thread topic already implied that?

Ruh roh, here we go again. :D ;) If it gets them to sell more computers, good for them. Of course, we went of topic and off the rails from the very first post, no surprise there.

Oh, and the only issue with ME was that it was not stable. The speed and new features where good but MS never really put much effort into it in my opinion.

I agree...actually liked where ME was going on the consumer guide. That went out the Window pretty fast when XP came along.

I think Win8 was the product of "the pc is dying" and "tablets are the future" with Microsoft trying to be proactive to the future. I don't think they were thinking of businesses though. Only making mad cash from their app store.
Also touchscreens are great for tablets/smart phones, however I don't see any PC users adopting them as a standard. And supposedly Windows 8 touch features are excellent.

I figured all pc makers would still be offering windows 7, maybe HP is just smart to market it still.

"people hate change".

People hated XP too... see how that ended.......

I like win8.1. I like IE10. Get IE11 out of Win 8.1 and I will use it. No I will not use Fire Fox.

You make it sound like it's some "ploy" to get rid of Windows 8.... I imagine it's just to get a "leg up" and entice all the customers that think that Windows 8 = bad and Windows 7 = good.

People hated XP too... see how that ended.......

Apples to oranges. XP still came with a familiar desktop inclusive of a working start button and start menu. Sure, it took 2 service packs to get a lot of the little things fixed, but the hatred didn't stem from a complete GUI overhaul like W8.

Back