HP Bans T-Shirts At Work

Enforcing a dress code doesn't change the fact that you hired a bunch of people that clearly don't give a shit about themselves or the company. It's a sign of a much larger problem. Rip HP.

Get back to me after your have tried crawling under a desk, installing a rack mount server, running cables through the ceiling, unjammed a copier/printer or swapped the batteries in a UPS while wearing a suit and tie. I usually tear/ruin something at least once a year. I'd rather it be a cheap polo shirt.

If you are an IT administrator, and spend the day sitting at your keyboard, then you might be ok in a suit/tie, but anyone who deals with hardware needs to dress more casually.

Beside, if I were to wear a long sleeve shit, tie, jacket, etc. I'd need the air conditioning set to about 45 degrees. Otherwise I'd be dripping and smell like I need a bath way before lunch.

I remember working in some of those old-style computer rooms when I first started out, where some people kept a heavy jacket to wear because it was so cold inside. I never bothered with a jacket, as I was fine with just my short sleeves. People would always ask me if I was cold or wanted to borrow a jacket, but I thought it felt good :)

Dressing for utility is understandable, and I don't think anyone here can argue that. I don't think this article, and the people arguing here, are talking about that. I think the wrinkle is with people that want to be a desk jockey that dresses like a freshman in college.

Enforcing a dress code doesn't change the fact that you hired a bunch of people that clearly don't give a shit about themselves or the company. It's a sign of a much larger problem. Rip HP.

Why should people care about their corporate employer? Company isnt loyal to its employees, so why should they care. At work, I only care about myself and my friends.

If someone blow up our corporate HQ, most likely reaction from our NOC would be to open a nice bottle for celebrations, that those immoral, tax-cheating thieves are at least temporarily gone (before they get replaced).

Regarding dress code: I (and pretty much everyone else I know in IT) wear something that is comfortable and inoffensive (jeans and T-shirt) - if company management doesnt like it, most of us can quickly find a job elsewhere.....

Why should people care about their corporate employer? Company isnt loyal to its employees, so why should they care. At work, I only care about myself and my friends.

If someone blow up our corporate HQ, most likely reaction from our NOC would be to open a nice bottle for celebrations, that those immoral, tax-cheating thieves are at least temporarily gone (before they get replaced).

Regarding dress code: I (and pretty much everyone else I know in IT) wear something that is comfortable and inoffensive (jeans and T-shirt) - if company management doesnt like it, most of us can quickly find a job elsewhere.....

Youre correct. Most companies don't create a culture where the company and its employees care about each other. This results in employees wearing sweatpants to work, and the company implementing more rules to stop behavior and negative attitudes like this. The few good employees left see this crap, and jump ship.

Its not about wearing tshirts. It's about culture and the quality of the employees and corporate leadership that creates this culture.

1- Loyalty buys promotions.
2- Why should a company be loyal to someone who "only cares about himself and his friends," wouldn't care if hundreds of people in the company were blown up, and calls company leadership, "immoral, tax-cheating thieves?"
3- If you think you can replace your job that quickly, your job can probably replace you that quickly too.

$15/hr for fast food is patently discriminatory and wholly unfair to other low wage workers in other industries. I have yet to see one shred of evidence fast food work is more deserving of a higher minimum wage or fast food work has some aspect of hazardous working conditions or higher skill that would demand greater compensation for one’s labor.

$15/hr for fast food is patently discriminatory and wholly unfair to other low wage workers in other industries. I have yet to see one shred of evidence fast food work is more deserving of a higher minimum wage or fast food work has some aspect of hazardous working conditions or higher skill that would demand greater compensation for one’s labor.

Wrong thread?

And to think $15 and they get to wear snazzy uniforms.

It's pretty hilarious judging people on how they dress at work rather than their productivity and output. But hey, keep thinking you're better than others because you wear a suit :rolleyes:

Just an fyi, HP does not have a dress code. I am an employee at HP and there have been emails sent internally saying "there is no dress code"after this baseless report was made.

Back