HP and Razer Tease Laptops with OLED Displays

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
New display tech is a big theme at CES 2019, and it isn't limited to sizes over 40". In addition to some high refresh rate LCDs, both HP and Razer teased laptops with 4K OLED panels. Like its 13" predecessor, HP's new Spectre x360 15" will come with an option for a 4K HDR touchscreen OLED. While a 1050 TI Max-Q and a low TDP CPU isn't exactly ideal for gaming at 4K, the bigger implication is that 15" OLEDs are ready for prime time, and could show up in more gaming-oriented devices soon. Razer teased one such device, as they showed off a Razer Blade 15" Prototype with a 4K OLED display and an RTX 2080 Max-Q GPU. While Razer's 15" laptops will be available starting January 29, they stopped short of mentioning when, or if, models with OLED displays would hit the shelves.

Razer will also showcase at CES two new innovative display technologies being evaluated for the Razer Blade 15 in the future. The first showcase is Blade 15 with a 15.6â€‌ Full HD display capable of 240 Hz refresh rates for incredibly fluid gaming. The other Blade 15 showcase sports a 4K OLED touch display, delivering amazing color, deep blacks, and efficient performance.

Better quality image, and lower power consumption.
I want a high refresh rate OLED for my desktop at 24" at a sub $300 price point by next year hopefully

What has changed to prevent OLED from suffering burn in?
Do they use an additional white OLED with each pixel to boost brightness (to keep the other OLEDs running at lower power), reducing colour volume.
This is already used with HDR OLED TVs and they can still suffer burn in.
Perhaps they have reduced the brightness substantially as well on these displays?
I wonder what the max nits are.

Or the tech has advanced enough to handle it?

Any word on pricing and how much of a premium the 4k displays will have over the models with more standard LCDs? I'm going to want to update my work laptop sometime in the next year or so and, after upgrading my home TV to a 65" OLED, can't imagine getting another type of display, gaming or no. As the Kalanalana said above, lower power consumption leading to longer batter life and higher image quality is a huge plus for business or gaming.

if OLED is perfected for long time static use and general longevity of use (no image dimming over time or color change a bit like a projector bulb) wouldn't that make all existing LCD monitors on the market basic trash ?

if OLED is perfected for long time static use and general longevity of use (no image dimming over time or color change a bit like a projector bulb) wouldn't that make all existing LCD monitors on the market basic trash ?
Old ones wont look as good for some uses, but they will still function as they always did.
Samsungs LCD+backlight tech is very good and is moving toward microLED which wont suffer burn in. But I dont think they are small enough to go in laptops yet.
New high end LCDs with zone dimming should compete well.
It depends what you want and how many pennies you can part with.

Old ones wont look as good for some uses, but they will still function as they always did.
Samsungs LCD+backlight tech is very good and is moving toward microLED which wont suffer burn in. .

How does MicroLED compare to OLED ( in theory )

Last edited:
How does MicroLED compare to OLED ( in theory )
MicroLED should have just as good black levels as long as the colour volume remains high at lower light levels.
The current LEDs used in Samsung Q9 TVs have extremely good colour volume throughout the brightness range so I imagine this is already a given.
And LEDs can go a lot brighter than OLED so should give the better HDR experience.

Note that microled cannot go in screens smaller than 75" atm and they are only using it in the modular size displays.

Dell (Alienware) has had an OLED laptop for a year or two now..

MicroLED should have just as good black levels as long as the colour volume remains high at lower light levels.
The current LEDs used in Samsung Q9 TVs have extremely good colour volume throughout the brightness range so I imagine this is already a given.
And LEDs can go a lot brighter than OLED so should give the better HDR experience.

Note that microled cannot go in screens smaller than 75" atm and they are only using it in the modular size displays.
You can’t extrapolate existing LCD LED characteristics to MicroLED. It’s different tech. You can say that the black levels should match OLED as the individual “pixels” are self-emissive and can therefore turn off. I’m looking forward to seeing how MicroLED progresses - and hopeful it can be competitive with OLED with perhaps fewer of the drawbacks (burnin etc).

Last edited:
Huh, I hadn't heard about MicroLED, sounds extremely promising! I just upgraded to a OLED TV for my living room and can't imagine going back to conventional LCD tech. I don't think that the supposed issues with OLED are going to be too much trouble for me but, if MicroLED can come out with a competitive tech that obviates those issues, I'm all about it!

16:9 ratio screens = FAIL, looks like they have room for at least a 16:10, after using any of the MS Surface range with 3:2 ratio screens, everything else feels cramped and it's just annoying having to scroll all the time to read the one paragraph that didn't fit, because of the stupid 16:9 screen ratio.

Last edited:
Who the hell in their right mind would buy an OLED monitor, or a laptop equipped with one? You forget to shut it off, or Windows crashes and leaves an image on the screen for 10 hours, then you will soon find out why OLED is not suited to computer display use.

Who the hell in their right mind would buy an OLED monitor, or a laptop equipped with one? You forget to shut it off, or Windows crashes and leaves an image on the screen for 10 hours, then you will soon find out why OLED is not suited to computer display use.

lol all hyperbole. I've been using an OLED laptop for over a year (typing on it right now) with absolutely zero issues. What isn't suitable computer display use is terrible looking LCD's.

Interesting. Have they solved the image retention problem?

I can't speak for the laptop size panels but my LG TV shifts the image around by a few pixels in an attempt at wear-leveling. There's also a screensaver with an aggressive timeout. The LCD panels I have on the shop floor have all burnt in so I'd say your use case will have the greatest impact. The various kinds of OLED make it difficult to predict what the performance is. LG uses the Kodak tech (colour-by-white) I think.

I can't speak for the laptop size panels but my LG TV shifts the image around by a few pixels in an attempt at wear-leveling. There's also a screensaver with an aggressive timeout. The LCD panels I have on the shop floor have all burnt in so I'd say your use case will have the greatest impact. The various kinds of OLED make it difficult to predict what the performance is. LG uses the Kodak tech (colour-by-white) I think.

Quite interesting. Could you describe the LCD burn in more? There are literally people on forums such as [H] that think a OLED will have burn-in after playing a game for 30 minutes and that you could set a LCD to maximum brightness with the same image for 20,000 hours and it will have zero affect.

Quite interesting. Could you describe the LCD burn in more? There are literally people on forums such as [H] that think a OLED will have burn-in after playing a game for 30 minutes and that you could set a LCD to maximum brightness with the same image for 20,000 hours and it will have zero affect.

I'm kind of curious too. I have never seen burn in on any LCD panel. I have two Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP IPS versions as side monitors that were abused in a corporate setting for about 4 years before I bought them used and have had countless hours logged on them in the ~8 years I have been using them and nothing, despite sitting with the same menu bar visible on them for more hours than I can count.

I can't even imagine an LCD panel burning in.

I'm kind of curious too. I have never seen burn in on any LCD panel. I have two Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP IPS versions as side monitors that were abused in a corporate setting for about 4 years before I bought them used and have had countless hours logged on them in the ~8 years I have been using them and nothing, despite sitting with the same menu bar visible on them for more hours than I can count.

Those most apparent is on our time stations which are on 24/7. They're using eLo resistive touchscreens. The static user elements are still visible on the rare occasion I have to drop to desktop to do something. Its probably more accurate to call it ghosting but you can still see a faint image when the PC is off.

The other thing the LG TV does is run a 'pixel refresher' after X hours of use. It exercises each with a series of colours and lines.

On a semi-related note, my parents babysat my kids for a week and all they do is leave the TV on CNN. No burn-in occurred from that so the TVs self-protection measures seem to work. I have high-hopes for its durability but I doubt it'll hit the 17 years of the rear-projection TV it replaced.

Back