HP 25-27" CW & XW: Almost-Glossy Overclock-able 1080p IPS

They will average to about 1,000:1. They're all based on the same or similar panels. Panel lottery will determine what you get. The one that NCX tested was a lottery winner.
oh.. so ur saying with ips panels theres no gurantee of a specific contrast? since VA panels can gurantee around a specific contrast I assumed its the same with ips and tn?

oh.. so ur saying with ips panels theres no gurantee of a specific contrast? since VA panels can gurantee around a specific contrast I assumed its the same with ips and tn?

Even VA panels can't guarantee a set contrast. If you buy 3 ox X-model VA panel, all 3 will calibrate with a different contrast ratio.

Not enough to make it noticeable at first sight.
You'll notice the difference between a 1000:1 IPS and 3000:1 VA almost immediately, and with a 5000:1 VA it will jump at your face, let's not even mention plasma and oled.
But between several IPSs with only about 100~300 variation between them it won't be that striking, actually use some decent bias lighting behind the one with the lowest ratio and it will appear more contrasted than the one whith a higher figure on paper.

In any case IPS panels don't perform very well in this area, so it doesn't matter that much, as long as it's in the 1000~ it's fine.
I know exceptional cases reach about 1500:1, but even those additional 500 won't drastically change the viewing experience.
People who really care about contrast and blacks don't buy IPSes anyway.

PS: you should worry much more about the serious possibility of receiving a unit with backlight bleeding, this is the real menace for IPS users.

I saw 24xw and 24es side by side in a store yesterday, both in default settings and the colors of the xw had somewhat more pop or looked more intense. There was also a LG AH-IPS again, which had strong green tint in neutral setting, but looked ok in "picture mode".

So, has anyone compared the ES/ER to the XW? I've seen NCX's review of the new monitors but it seems it's not finished. A lot of the content from the XW review is missing from the ER/ES review. After seeing that the new models have the same low haze treatment as the XW I'm interested in them again. Anyone there?

I purchased the HP 27es about a month ago. It's a great monitor for the price. I successfully overclocked it to 75hz (Passed frame skip test) but I have an annoying OSD Menu bouncing around saying "Out of range". Are there any tricks to get around this? I messed around in the monitor menu and the best result I could come up with is by turning down the menu opacity but its still there (Lowest it goes is like 10%).

I purchased the HP 27es about a month ago. It's a great monitor for the price. I successfully overclocked it to 75hz (Passed frame skip test) but I have an annoying OSD Menu bouncing around saying "Out of range". Are there any tricks to get around this? I messed around in the monitor menu and the best result I could come up with is by turning down the menu opacity but its still there (Lowest it goes is like 10%).
Have you already tried turning off monitor status? What about lowering the OSD timeout to 5sec which is the lowest setting.

It seems this thread is dead but I feel I should still share this with you all and to anyone who stumbles upon this thread. These HP monitors (XW and ER/ES) install there own ICC profiles on to windows when you plug them in via HDMI. Every time you disconnect them from your pc and then reconnect the monitor the ICC profile will be installed, even after deleting it. As long as you don't disconnect your monitor the ICC profile won't reinstall itself once you delete it which, thankfully, is easy.

To delete the ICC profile you have to do a few things, In windows color manager un-check "Use my settings for this device" and delete the profile in the "profiles associated with this device" box and select sRGBIC61966-2.1 as the default color space under the advanced tab.

Then, under my computer, advance in the following order: local disk, Windows, System32, spool, drivers, color. In this folder, you should find the HP ICC/ICM profile. Delete it and then right-click the sRGB color space profile and click install profile.

If Windows won't allow you to delete it due to administrative access then follow the steps in this video

Last edited:
Back