HP 2065 off lease $120 + S&H 1600x1200 IPS

DanNeely

Supreme [H]ardness
This is normally a $400ish monitor. It's IPS so you have excellent viewing angles and color quality; and being a premium model comes with a fully adjustable stand instead of the tilt only stand standard on cheap TN screens at this price. Only a 1 year warranty stock; but you can upgrade to 3 years for <$40 if you're that concerned. Wish I knew if they replaced the backlight when servicing it since that's the part most likely to fail first.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6295119&CatId=1410

The only thing that sucks about this monitor is that it has very low brightness. I sold mine last spring because it was so dim.

I also found the colors to be over saturated. The input lag is a joke.

tigerdirect is down for now.

Edit: Back up now.

Last edited:
The only thing that sucks about this monitor is that it has very low brightness. I sold mine last spring because it was so dim.

the dimness could be due to age. it's a 4:3 monitor, so it can't be that recent.

lewlz. look at the product pictures. there is a 16:9 or 16:10 shown in portrait mode...not the same monitor that is being sold!

That's wierd, are you sure the backlight was working properly? It's rated for 300cd/m^2. Sitting at normal monitor distances and at normal ambient lighting levels brightness should be set in the 80-120 range to avoid eyestrain. The only time you should have the brightness at max is if you're using it at TV distances or in an extremely brightly lit area (outdoors or in some badly overlit boxmarts).

This is more of a problem with newer LCDs because the backlight's dynamic range is typically only 2.5-3x so when you're adjusting brightness down to a comfortable level you end up finishing the job with the circuitry inside actually dropping your contrast ratio by 30-50%. And all this because Joe Moron can't ever imagine bigger stats not being a good thing. :-X

the ips monitor usually needs to be warmed up before it reaches maxmium brightness... my nec 2690 does that if auto-luminus is not turned on...

regardless, $120 for an ips is a steal really.

Wondering if I should finally upgrade my CRT for this, it's pretty cheap for an IPS. I'm kinda worried about the reviews about picture quality, though.

Shows $109.97 at this point but, that's just too expensive in my opinion for such an old monitor. Could go out on someone at any point, the supplies of parts are probably almost non-existent, I can think of many reasons to avoid this one. Even being an IPS ain't enough of a draw for me...

If you're concerned about repairs TD offers a 3 year warranty upgrade for <$40 at which point either they fix/replace your monitor or you get your money back; Still for much less than a new TN/VA on a good stand would cost.

I didn't bother with it myself; partly because this'll be a secondary screen for me. Attached to the KVM on my 2ndary pc and test/repair setup and get carried to the kitchen table on the infrequent cases when I'm working from home. In the former role it's replacing a decrepit CRT in the latter it means I'll be able to stop ripping a monitor off my desktop and having to fiddle with alignment when I put it back. In either case it's not a high duty cycle role. Also there's a reasonably good chance that the refurb process included new backlights (almost certain if they're factory refurbs because HP would be the ones taking the hit if they fail shortly after resale) which are the most likely to fail part.

im tempted to get 2 of these to put in portrait on either side of my 30" XHD3000. any thoughts?

A few things.

1.) How do you know it's IPS? I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the specs even when I looked in other places like cnet's specs page and newegg's specs sheet.

2.) Does anyone know how good this monitor is with color consistency across different parts of the screen? The thing that always kind of bothers me about LCD screens is how colors at the bottom are always a little (or a lot) different from the top (usually more washed out at the bottom), even if the exact middle of the screen is at eye level... How good/bad is this effect on this model?

3.) Off - topic/random: This is probably a stupid question but why is circuitcity.com a direct copy of TD?? lol...
http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6295119&CatId=1410
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6295119&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=rGMTN56tf_w-qxiL2nY0y6fVyS710w0Agg

If you're concerned about repairs TD offers a 3 year warranty upgrade for <$40 at which point either they fix/replace your monitor or you get your money back; Still for much less than a new TN/VA on a good stand would cost.

i wouldn't trust that warranty for a minute. there's probably something in the fine print saying they can replace your monitor with the world's cheapest 19" TN panel.

Mine arrived today. It wasn't a factory refurb although I'll give the company credit for an innovative packaging system. Instead of cardboard shims/foam cutouts from a similar but not identical sized monitor (both of which I've seen before) it was secured in the box with plastic bags (same sort of plastic as kitchen trash bags) filled with sprayfoam. While weird sounding they actually did a very good job of immobilizing the monitor and filling all the empty space in the box. If you ever have to pack an LCD without the original packaging I'd strongly recommend going this route.

I can't find a manufactured date on it, but my monitor has ~22,000 hours on, and 5400 backlight hours. Assuming it was a work display and left on overnight and on the weekends it's about 2.5 years old. That seems short for an off lease model so my working theory is that the refurb company got these as part of a liquidation sale.

Aside from a single small scratch on the bezel mine looks like new. The stand is also very sturdy, at least as good as those ones on my NEC 2090's which sell for $800 noew.

i was gonna buy 2 as soon as i sold my current 23" and 24" monitors. :(
From past experience these deals never last long, so if you want in on the next you should plan on buying the new monitors first and then selling the old ones to cover your expenses.

From past experience these deals never last long, so if you want in on the next you should plan on buying the new monitors first and then selling the old ones to cover your expenses.

yeah i know! this is like the 10th time ive missed out on nice shit by hesitating. i had just bought a new i7 860 and h55n and hadnt sold any of my x58 parts, so i decided to wait. i just got a 2007FP so im shooting for another of those to round out my setup. :)

Back