HOWTO: Overclock C2D Quads and C2D Duals - A Guide v1.0

Temps are around 25-30c idle and 48c load. I ran Orthos for 30 mins I don't have enough time to try for any longer, but I think it's fine. I also played Crysis for multiple hours no problem.

One more thing, my memory voltage is at 1.79v as reported by speedfan when it's rated for 2.1v, is this okay? I can't really type in an exact voltage in my BIOS it only has DDR2 OverVoltage option to give + amounts of volts.

Those temps are good (using coretemp right?) You can undervolt memory just fine so long as it's stable. My DIMMs are rated for 2.2 V but I run them lower also.

Yeah I minmized the vcore and anything under 1.34v was unstable for some reason :\. I heard on the EVGA forums that people were able to get lower voltages and stay stable by reapplying cermique (however you spell it) to the mosfets near the CPU. So I am going try that during thanksgiving break and see if I can manage to get any lower voltage. Seems like my vcore needs to be pretty high to be stable compared to everyone else :(

That's just the way it is... different chips o/c differently. Some times you got a really stellar one that runs on low vcores. 1.34 isn't bad for 3.2 GHz.

By the way, I have a thermalright ultra 120 extreme, but I have had to mount it in a really awkward position due to it hitting the case wall if mounted the "correct way". I can take a picture of it when I get home. So I would not be suprised if that also doesn't help my temps, but that doesn't really justify needing the voltage to get stable I would think.

What do you mean, the "correct way?" N/S or E/W are both correct. On my machine, for some reason, I get better results with a N/S mount. Did you also consider lapping the base of the u-120 x as well as the IHS on your CPU? That will help lower your temp... I'm not sure it'll change your vcore stability though. Finally, you can also place a washer (spacer) under the "X" bracket on the U-120 X to make it tighter... only do this is your mount is loose though.

it's a 3.0ghz OC, not a 3.2. I found that by raising my south bridge voltage to 1.3 to 1.35 I was able to lower my vcore and stay stable with 8 hours prime. I will start lowering it smaller to see how low I can get it now. I don't want to lap because I want to keep my warranty.

I am very new to overclocking using the BIOS. I just built my second HTPC/Gaming rig. This time with some major overclocking in mind. I purchased the E6750 per Tom's hardware testing and overclocking he was able to get on it with only air cooling. I am using a Silverstone L17 case, Rosewell 750W PSU, and I put in the new Foxconn X38a motherboard. The only thing I regret is not reading this guide before installing the Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II liquid cooling. I used Artic Silver paste but I put on way more than you have pictured. Could this be a problem? The only other thing I think I may need to upgrade is the memory. I am using Mushkin PC5400 667 memory at 5-5-5-15. I have over clocked the FSB to 400 at a 1:1 ratio with memory (I can't find an option to unlink the overclock). I up'd the vcore to 1.35 and the memory to 1.9. I am an hour into Prime 95 and my temps are 50 and 49 on the cores with the radiator fan at it's lowest setting. High setting drops it about 6 on both cores but the noise is not worth the drop in temp. So far so stable at these settings. I have an overclock of 3.2 right now which is pretty good (I think?), but I want to get to 3.4. Will I need to get higher speed memory to be able to do this? If so, how high memory should I get. To finish off the rig I have the new LG GGC-H20L drive. I love this thing. Again, a thousand thanks for the guide and any insight you might have to the aforementioned questions.

Will

P.S. Forgot to mention that I will be putting in an EVGA 8800GTX today, replacing my XFX 7900GT. The XFX will be going on eBay after the holidays.

If your temps are too high, you can consider reapplying the AS5, but you might be fine. Also, consider lapping the IHS on the CPU, again, if temps are a problem. If your memory isn't rated to run at higher FSB values, it might hold you back. What to get? DDR2-1066 will allow you to use FSB values up to 533 (at least) which should be plenty (9x533 = 4.8 GHz which I doubt you'll hit).

The E6750 is only a 8 multiplier. That is the only bad thing about it, if you can say that. How am I running stable right now at 400 with 667 memory. 400*2 = 800, well over the 667 memory I am running.

Didn't realize it was 8x max (8x533=4.2 GHz which is still pretty fast). Anyway, it is possible to run memory faster than their ratings; they aren't guaranteed to work as such but you can certainly do it.

(using coretemp right?)

Yeah using coretemp.

I'm pretty sure i'm at the best place for me cpu wise, the only thing i'm unsure about is memory now.

Right now I'm at 3.2GHz (8x400) on my E6750 with a 1:1 (2.0 multiplier at 800) with timings of 4-4-4-12.

The settings I'm not sure are the delays and whatnot.

mine are:

ACT to ACT Delay 3 (Auto)
Rank Write to Read Delay 3 (Default)
Write to Precharge Delay 6 (Default)
Refresh to ACT Delay 42 (Default)
Read to Precharge Delay 3 (Default)
Static tRead Value 7 (Auto)
Static tRead Phase Adjust 0 (Default)

Now, just because they're at "Default" I don't know if those numbers are what it is using, it's just what's next to them in front of "Default", it may be using it's own settings needed for my system overclock and those are just the default settings. I dunno, that's why I'm asking you guys.

I just want to get at a good place to start before I start over clocking any.

If any other information is needed just ask. (system in sig)

Any help is appreciated!

The subtimings really don't make that much of a difference in my experience. In fact, I asked some of the tech support people at the crucial 800 number and they told me these settings are specific to the motherboard, and that I'd need to look them up with the manufacturer of my MB. I wouldn't worry about them.

i searched the forums but i didnt find anything about it... maybe just typed in the wrong words but since i saw you writing about wrong temperatures read out by speedfan in your guide i figured why not ask in here.

every tool i use for reading out my temps on my q6600 displays the cores at about 7-8 degrees colder than the cpu temp in general. so in idle that would be 30-31 for the cores and 37-39 for the cpu. is that even possible or is something borked with my cpu or mainboard?

i am running the q6600 on an asus formula btw with the newest bios version if that is of any interest.

Only use coretemp for monitoring your temps... the asus really sucks. You can trust coretemp 0.95.4

coretemp reads out the same as everest.

cores 8° cooler than the cpu ... so you are saying thats normal?

The "CPU" sensor that it's reading might not be the right sensor. I'm not sure if c2q/c2d have a universal cpu sensor. For example, it says my 12v line is -9V...so you can't trust everything if it doesn't make sense.

edit: it = speedfan

Just wanted to post a thanks for this thread. It's been a while since I really overclocked (1.6A :eek: ) and this helped a lot. I have the same OC as the OP and am happy with my temps. After an overnight prime95 run I had no errors and temps were at 59C for cores 1 and 2 and a bit lower for cores 3 and 4.

I got bored yesterday and used this guide to mess around with my E6750. I didn't touch the voltage though as suggested.

I simply set my FSB to 375MHz and set my RAM at a 1:1 ratio for an even 3.0Ghz. Let Prime 95 run for a whopping 3 and a half hours with no errors. Max load temps of 45C on both cores thanks to a Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme

Actually dude, there is no sensors on a C2D/C2Q that is simply a "CPU" sensor; quads have 4 core sensors and duals have 2 core sensors -- to the best of my knowledge, that's it. That "CPU" sensor you're reading suffers from one major problem: it's fictitious!

What are some signs of too low voltage on vcore? I have had weird lockups and stuff, but I have never gotten an error in prime. I am just trying to figure out if it is something else messing up or if my vcore has reached that low point.

@dudewth and CRX - glad to hear you both met with success! Enjoy.

Thanks. I saw you had the same thread over at that "other" forum. I can attest to the ABIT using VID to set Vcore, I cannot reduce mine below 1.35v

Sooo, I decided if it's gonna be up there, I might as well run my RAM at it's rated speed and I'm now running at 8x400 for 3.2Ghz.

Just ran Prime95 blended for 2 hours as a quick test. No problem, great temps.

Actually dude, there is no sensors on a C2D/C2Q that is simply a "CPU" sensor; quads have 4 core sensors and duals have 2 core sensors -- to the best of my knowledge, that's it. That "CPU" sensor you're reading suffers from one major problem: it's fictitious!

well that sums it up i guess. so i assume coretemps of around 29-33 are normal in idle mode then? i know it depends on many things including room temperature but its nothing inconvenient, right?

Oh, I literally sat down and spent that past 3 hours writing this guide; it has been proof read by me once so please let me know if you catch any mistakes and I'll edit the thread and fix them.

Sure thing. I'm lost on this one:

graysky said:
Second thing you'll want to do is relax (lower) the timings on your memory. You can go back in and make them more aggressive once you find the right vcore for your overclock.

WTF? To relax means to increase the timings higher (i.e. 4 to 5). To go lower is to be tighter, therefore, more aggressive. Or am I wrong?

well that sums it up i guess. so i assume coretemps of around 29-33 are normal in idle mode then? i know it depends on many things including room temperature but its nothing inconvenient, right?

Seems fine to me but the idle temps aren't really telling... what are you temps after about 30 minutes of prime95?

He needs to get that edited! I've seen others say the same thing. It would be tragic to the technology community if it doesn't get stopped... :p

Why? You do want to relax your timings so that you know your RAM isn't the cause for instability. Then, when you know it's not after a prime95 run, you can lower the timings again and see if it's stable at your new overclock AND more aggressive RAM timings.

Since my last posting I purchased 4GB of crucial Ballistix PC8500. With that I was able to get the FSB up to 450 with a 1:2.4 ratio (memory is at 1086 with this ratio and is set at 5-5-5-15). I haven't tried to go any higher but I am sure I can as it is completely stable at this FSB with 1.39 vcore. The memory is at 2.2 and this memory can go higher on the volt, but why if it is stable. 6 hours of prime95 at this setting with zero errors and the temps were right about 48 C. Not to bad considering I took a 2.66 E6750 and have it running at 3.6 very stable. I am curious to go higher but I don't want to ruin anything. I love this cpu and Foxconn has figured out whatever was wrong with the BIOS in previous versions for the x38a as I am having none now. Thanks again. To all of you getting started, have some patience as this is a lot of trial and error and a lot of rebooting.

If 46 °C is your LOAD temp as read by coretemp, that is very good. You have some headroom if you deciede to increase the vcore and the o/c.

yes this is my LOAD temp. i actually bought this cooler to have a bit of room for overclocking but i am really surprised about the low temps from the q6600, thats why i wondered and asked in here first before i do something wrong and break my cpu.

hi. im completely new to overclocking and had a few questions. my current setup i have is
q6600 G0
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
4x1gb ram ddr2-800(2xcrucial ballistix, and 2xpatriot)
cooler master hyper tx cpu cooler
Corsair HX 520w
vista 64 bit

anyways, i wanted to overclock my computer and so i set the multiplier to 9 in the bios. however, when i start up the computer and check cpu-z, it says that the multiplier is at 6 and getting 1.6 ghz. now this seems really strange to me considering the stock core speed should be 2.4 ghz. again, im completely new at this so any help would be appreciated. thanks

hi. im completely new to overclocking and had a few questions. my current setup i have is
q6600 G0
Gigabyte P35-DS3R
4x1gb ram ddr2-800(2xcrucial ballistix, and 2xpatriot)
cooler master hyper tx cpu cooler
Corsair HX 520w
vista 64 bit

anyways, i wanted to overclock my computer and so i set the multiplier to 9 in the bios. however, when i start up the computer and check cpu-z, it says that the multiplier is at 6 and getting 1.6 ghz. now this seems really strange to me considering the stock core speed should be 2.4 ghz. again, im completely new at this so any help would be appreciated. thanks

Read the first post again. Your SpeedStep is probably enabled and underclocking the processor when idle to reduce heat.

Since my last posting I purchased 4GB of crucial Ballistix PC8500. With that I was able to get the FSB up to 450 with a 1:2.4 ratio (memory is at 1086 with this ratio and is set at 5-5-5-15). I haven't tried to go any higher but I am sure I can as it is completely stable at this FSB with 1.39 vcore. The memory is at 2.2 and this memory can go higher on the volt, but why if it is stable. 6 hours of prime95 at this setting with zero errors and the temps were right about 48 C. Not to bad considering I took a 2.66 E6750 and have it running at 3.6 very stable. I am curious to go higher but I don't want to ruin anything. I love this cpu and Foxconn has figured out whatever was wrong with the BIOS in previous versions for the x38a as I am having none now. Thanks again. To all of you getting started, have some patience as this is a lot of trial and error and a lot of rebooting.

Cool man. Glad to hear you hit 3.6 GHz stable.

Sorry to labour the point, but I have the same problem regarding the Q6600 multiplier set to 6. I have checked SpeedStep and disabled it. Are there any other settings that may be
doing this ?
I have the Maximus Formula but none of the Asus utilities are installed at the moment.
For now I would like to just force it to 9 :)

Sorry to labour the point, but I have the same problem regarding the Q6600 multiplier set to 6. I have checked SpeedStep and disabled it. Are there any other settings that may be
doing this ?
I have the Maximus Formula but none of the Asus utilities are installed at the moment.
For now I would like to just force it to 9 :)

Is it set to 6 even under load? If so you have a BIOS option set incorrectly; it should give you 9 as the max. It will bounce from 6 to 9 (speedstep). This happens on my board even if I disable speedstep.

well i´ve just rechecked my CPU specs on the Intel Processor Spec Finder and the Vid Voltage Range values have changed,

before they were:
1,162V - 1,132V

and now they are:
0,8V - 1,5V

what the heck happened here? :confused:

i used to OC using the maximum voltage recommended on Intel´s Spec Finder and when i get the maximum OC i started to lower the voltage, but now how could i possible do that?

minor typo but in your original post you had -

E4500: 11x333 = 2.20 GHz

should read 11x200

Anyways probably already been mentioned

Back