HOWTO: Edit your G92 based card's BIOS for fan speed adjustments

Bump it up to sticky ;)

This thread is getting linked a fair amount from other sites......

I'm pretty much flattered at all of the positive comments people have been sending me. It sure makes me feel like all of the time and trouble was worth the effort! :D

Sticky this damn thread before its gets lost in the mire of other useless threads..!!:D:D

Is there anyway I can make an SD card bootable? No flash and no floppy FTL :(

Yes, if you have an SD card reader.

Just pop the SD card into the reader and presto, there's your 'USB flash drive'. :)

You can also make a bootable CD or DVD disc, but I've not had time to type out instructions for that process yet.

I'd like to thank Blue Falcon for the instructions, I finally got ahold of a floppy drive and flashed the 8800GT to EVGA KO speeds, everything went as described - thanks for the dude who also suggested using GPU-Z to retreive my video card's stock bios.

Bump for STICKY.

I got past my checksum error by using "nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 mybios.rom" as suggested at MVKTech(sp?)

I foolishly didn't even look up what the switches did, I just did it and it worked. No more BSOD's from heat anymore. Nice 47deg C at idle at 55% fan.

Thanks for the guide.

I tell you guys what, I have not had a floppy drive in my rigs for at least 5 years.....I have flashed vid cards and mainboards many times with no trouble. This flash drive based method is the easiest I have used, other than a windows based flash.

I actually use the "DOS boot key" for other things too, such as recovering files from a trashed OS via a neat little software you run from DOS that can access NTFS and copy to the drive...

Sticky this....what's the holdup ;)

Blue Falcon, thanks for the guide. I registered an account just to say thanks and post some tips as a result of my long day testing. I own a gigabyte 8800GT and unlike other vendors, it seems gigabyte didnt release an updated bios with better temperature-fan control scheme. I followed your guide exactly and got some weird results. I flashed the bios and pc booted ok, but the moment graphics drivers kicked in for vista, the screen went black. I booted in safe mode, removed the nvidia drivers and rebooted and voila, everything worked fine but i had no drivers. I havent heard before a case where modified bios would run until logon screen and then die in the blackness, so reverted back to old bios and started again. This time i didnt modify shader, core and memory clocks, only fan control and voila - everything worked out fine. So, if you update your bios and get a blackscreen during logon, revert back to old clocks. Also in your guide you could remind people that you can get your bios with nvflash - i run vista x64 and i must be stupid, but i didnt find "CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR GPU BIOS" button in GPU Z.
Once again, thanks for the guide, i dont have those stupid lockups anymore and i can play gears of war in peace :)

this should be stickied for sure, i've referred several people to this procedure.

way to go, making it easy to follow.

This is a GREAT post, only wish it worked on a 9600GT. My Fanspeed IC button is grayed out! :(

BUMP!! STICKY PLEASE!!

I would never have found this without doing a google search. It's buried!

Hi.

I followed the tutorial, but i´ve got a problem

I have a MSI 8800GT OC http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1343&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136

When i try to update i get the messege that my board has a SUB VENDOR ID 1492 and SUBSYSTEM ID 8010 and every BIOS i download from the net, that is labelled for that MSI GPU BOARD, has 1492 but the SUBSYSTEM ID is 1170. :eek:

What should i do ? when i open those various files in NIBITOR i see those differences in the ADV: INFO. Should i change one of these BIOS to those setting in my GPU :confused:

This worked great even though i couldn't get the thumb drive method to work. I just used the floppy method.

I would like to state that i got some very weird results when flashing the card to know artifact free overclocked speeds though. It would artifact like crazy when using ATi Tool, so i wound up having to lower the core clock by 25Mhz for it to clear up. So i wound up flashing it back to stock clocks with just the fan adjustment and i'm back to my normal oc's now.

Hi.

I followed the tutorial, but i´ve got a problem

I have a MSI 8800GT OC http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1343&maincat_no=130&cat2_no=136

When i try to update i get the messege that my board has a SUB VENDOR ID 1492 and SUBSYSTEM ID 8010 and every BIOS i download from the net, that is labelled for that MSI GPU BOARD, has 1492 but the SUBSYSTEM ID is 1170. :eek:

What should i do ? when i open those various files in NIBITOR i see those differences in the ADV: INFO. Should i change one of these BIOS to those setting in my GPU :confused:

Any help ?? PLEASE !! :confused:

well, absolutely make sure it's for an 8800GT. If it is, add "/3 /4 /5" to the end of ur flash command.

Blue Falcon;
Thanks for the procedure. I have an EVGA 8800GS Superclock running with an AMD 3800 X2 @ 2.75GHz with 2 gig of PC3200. I raised the GPU voltage to 1.1 and changed the fan profile to 55% min and start ramping up at 60C to 100% at 85C. My overclock is 730/1820/2030 which is about 20MHz faster than before raising the voltage. 3D Mark 06 went from 9230 to 9350 and under load I've not seen temps higher than 75C. This procedure was very helpful.

Back