Hows your experience with Asus Motherboards?

TechBoy

2[H]4U
So, I've had 2 Asus motherboards thus far and its a 50/50 for them right now. My old Asus A8N-Sli deluxe worked like a dream but my new Asus P5N-E Sli is the most problematic and crash prone motherboard I have ever had.....:mad: I've had it for two weeks got it working for about 3 days before it decided to screw me over 2 days ago and not boot up... I am RMA'ing this one as we speak.

Anyways I was just wondering hows everyone else's experience with Asus motherboard thus far? I seems to me that my new motherboard was very poorly built compared to my old one.

My A8V deluxe was sweet. I broke it. Now I am using a M2N-E which is ok (it tends to randomly turn itself on for no apparent reason, but it is stable when it is on.) I did pick up another asus board before this one though that insisted on throttling my cpu whenever it reached 45 degrees. (Thank god for return policies).

Mine, in signature, is pretty reliable and a decent OC'er, it just has issues with Creative X-Fi soundcards.

Hmm, Looks like you guys dont really have problems with the amd versions. After this motherboard I probably will never go back to Asus...

ya, I am considering going back to MSI because of the X-Fi problems.

My last 6 motherboards have all been Asus boards. Every one of them has worked perfectly and without any issues. My first P5B deluxe was such a good board I got a second one when I upgraded my main server.

My last 6 motherboards have all been Asus boards. Every one of them has worked perfectly and without any issues. My first P5B deluxe was such a good board I got a second one when I upgraded my main server.

You ever run an X-Fi?

I've never used an ASUS board myself, but I have heard two theories: the first is that ASUS is going downhill, and letting their ASRock value subdivision influence even the high-end ASUS boards; the second is that ASUS does great with Intel chipsets, but not so good with NVIDIA chipsets. A corollary to the second theory is that MSI does great with NVIDIA chipsets, but isn't as hot with Intel chipsets.

(These are all suppositions; take with a large grain of salt!)

I love ASUS boards. I have tried several others(Gigabyte, MSI, Jetway, EVGA, etc) and I allways seem to come back to ASUS. On the other hand, I have had consistant, terrible troubles with MSI.

i really liked my p5w dh deluxe until it died from overclocking but asus sent me a new one on warrenty ahhahaha

I've owned two Asus boards, my current P5B Deluxe and an older nForce2 chipset mobo years ago. I only owned the AMD one for 6 months but it seemed like a good, solid board. I had it in a spare system and sold it when I needed cash. My P5B Deluxe is one of the best motherboards I've ever owned. I've had no problems with it and it's meeting my needs perfectly. If you check my signature, you'll see I have an Xfi card and I have no problems with compatibility. I like this board so much I'm considering getting a P5K-E/WIFI board for my spare system.

You ever run an X-Fi?

Yes, see sig. Zero problems. I also had a Asus A8N-Premium (nForce4) with a X-Fi with no problems.

The biggest thing is Asus boards have in the past have been the only ones that offer the slot & backplate configs that I want. I am starting to look into Abit again since they seemed to turn themselves around. I used to be an exclusive Abit person. Another thing that influences my decision is that I have been burned by both MSI and DFI boards, so I refuse to touch them.

Every asus motherboard i have had has been great, probably 10 of them or more.

Every asus made Nvidia video card i have had has FAILED. 4 of them ti4200 on to a 8600. none overclocked or anything.

All the motherboard I have use are ASUS.

I never had any problem with them. They have always been very reliable. Only problem is the north bridge (P5N, P5W, P4P)does get hot but never had any problem with stabilize.

Also the easy BIOS update with Asus doesn't seem to work at all.

I've had almost 100% positive experiences with ASUS boards for the most part. The exception to the rule is the ASUS Striker Extreme which I had nothing but problems with. I can't tell you how many of them I've owned, and I've reviewed a bunch of them too.

I finally stepped out of my comfort zone that I had with ASUS and ended up getting a Gigabyte board and I must say I'm happy with that decision. While my experience with ASUS has been decent, I'll probably be sticking with Gigabyte for awhile now. I paired my first Core 2 Duo with an ASUS P5B-Deluxe Wifi/AP and it really was just a pain in the a**. My system runs far far more stable with my Gigabyte board and I haven't run into any issues with Vista or sound cards or anything like that.

I have owned a few ASUS boards:

A7N8X Deluxe rev. 1.1 and 2.0
Asus A8N SLi Premium

Both have been great boards and have had absolutely 0 problems with either one of them.
Oh, and the A8N was running an X-Fi Platinum with 0 issues.

Only ever used them twice. One was super easy to work with but catastrophically failed after a few years. The second was a major pain in the neck to get working correctly. I've had the best luck with some of the cheapest no-name boards, but wasn't concerned with performance on them so much. Would I use ASUS again, yes if it fit my needs.

My past 5 have worked great. One of my older ones might be acting up now but havent narrowed down the problem because I dont really care about it.

You ever run an X-Fi?

It was most likely the X-FI card itself, but mine ALWAYS had issues. Was buggy as hell and the front faceplate never worked (in two years of trouble shooting I might add).

Edit: I was running a 3800+ (939). My new cpu is 5200+ (AM2) and has yet to give me major problems yet with this Asus board.

My P5K-E wifi/ap back from RMA didn't post any video and it turns out that problem is pretty common among the boards.

Quality control IMO is terrible with ASUS.

My P5K-E wifi/ap back from RMA didn't post any video and it turns out that problem is pretty common among the boards.

Quality control IMO is terrible with ASUS.

I can't agree with this. I've owned several ASUS boards, far more than most people and I've yet to get a defective one. Beyond that I handle review samples all the time after Kyle gets done abusing them and yet, I still haven't had a defective unit.

As a service technician, system builder, and IT professional. I've serviced thousands of systems. ASUS motherboards are more common than most if not all other brands, yet I've only ever replaced a handful of ASUS branded motherboards (non-OEM) in my 10 years of working in this industry professionally.

ASUS quality control is among the best in the industry I'd imagine. At least that has been my experience. However you have to realize there are going to be more defective ASUS boards than defective boards from other brands for the simple reason that there are more ASUS boards on the market than anything else. This needs to be factored in. As for some of the board issues well, even ASUS can't possibly test the thousands of possible hardware configurations that the end users are going to put together. There are going to be issues.

I will say, ASUS technical support and web infrastructure are both absolutely terrible. I have never had to RMA an ASUS board myself, but I hear that the experience is miserable to say the least.

Ditto. Moved to Abit four years ago & haven't had any issues since.

I stopped using Abit all together about 3 years ago. IMHO their quality had gone way downhill and I started to have problems with their board failing. However, from what I have seen from the P965 boards and up they have really turned things around again. There is a pretty high chance that my next board may be an Abit.

I stopped using Abit all together about 3 years ago. IMHO their quality had gone way downhill and I started to have problems with their board failing. However, from what I have seen from the P965 boards and up they have really turned things around again. There is a pretty high chance that my next board may be an Abit.

I quit using abit in my systems for the most part after the KT7-RAID fiasco. After that I had one more abit board. The AA8XE and it was outstanding. Truly an exceptional overclocker, rock solid stability and everything you could really ask for in a board. Beyond that I haven't used a board since. The AB9-Pro was pretty bad but the Quad-GT was excellent.

I think abit is really hit or miss model wise. Some are great, others, not so much.

I quit using abit in my systems for the most part after the KT7-RAID fiasco. After that I had one more abit board. The AA8XE and it was outstanding. Truly an exceptional overclocker, rock solid stability and everything you could really ask for in a board. Beyond that I haven't used a board since. The AB9-Pro was pretty bad but the Quad-GT was excellent.

I think abit is really hit or miss model wise. Some are great, others, not so much.

QFT. My last Abit board was my IT7-Max3. That thing was a masterpiece. When I upgraded from that, all their boards were getting mediocre reviews and had horrible layouts so I want the Asus route and never looked back.

My P5N-E SLI has been flakey with 4GB of RAM (4X1GB). I get 0X0A blue screens on boot a few times a week. I remove two sticks, she's solid. I am trying a BIOS update to see how that does. I came from a rock solid MSI board, so I am leary.

I can't agree with this. I've owned several ASUS boards, far more than most people and I've yet to get a defective one. Beyond that I handle review samples all the time after Kyle gets done abusing them and yet, I still haven't had a defective unit.

As a service technician, system builder, and IT professional. I've serviced thousands of systems. ASUS motherboards are more common than most if not all other brands, yet I've only ever replaced a handful of ASUS branded motherboards (non-OEM) in my 10 years of working in this industry professionally.

ASUS quality control is among the best in the industry I'd imagine. At least that has been my experience. However you have to realize there are going to be more defective ASUS boards than defective boards from other brands for the simple reason that there are more ASUS boards on the market than anything else. This needs to be factored in. As for some of the board issues well, even ASUS can't possibly test the thousands of possible hardware configurations that the end users are going to put together. There are going to be issues.

I will say, ASUS technical support and web infrastructure are both absolutely terrible. I have never had to RMA an ASUS board myself, but I hear that the experience is miserable to say the least.

It's just I googled my problem trying to find a solution to my specific motherboard and people posting on other forums seem to have the exact same problem, but with different components other than the motherboard. I just find it weird that there are a few people with the same problem as me but with different set ups.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245593-30-asus-wifi-stable-randomly-post

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1248136

And the RMAing with Asus... oh man... getting a board back thats been in RMA status for a month only to receive another defective board... and having to wait another month... horrible...

I had an Asus KN-8 ultra for 2 years but i had it overclocked, it died on me in August but i was happy with it, it was time to upgrade anyway.

ASUS is on fire right now, they really have some great intel based boards, no gimmicky cooling solutions or aything, love my p5k.

I think I have owned well over 25 asus boards going back a few years.

The only two asus board that I have really had problems with are the M2N-E and the P5N32-E (I don't thing I will ever buy a -E again lol)

Other that that there have been a few quirks but nothing that I could not work around. My favorite board is still the p5w dh, but man it took me like a week to find out why it was taking 15min to post, but after that and a few more subtle tweeks this board has been a dream.

my experiecnce with asus

i have and still have a a8n sli premium it has worked great for a long time now. last month i picked up a p5k deluxe wifi mb. the board worked great and was very stable. the mb came with an older bios version installed that was giving me incorrect cpu temps. so i attempted to flash the bios using their windows bios flash tool. i downloaded the tool from their website, where it said it worked with vista 64. i installed the tool and tried to update the bios and it failed on the third and final step, and told me to try again. so i did with no success. i rebooted my system and the board was done. it would power on for a few second, than power off for a few seconds and repeat this cycle to the power was cut off from the psu.

well it turns out that their windows bios flash tool has know problems. i went to their site forum for my mb and there was alot of people having the same problem. they actually changed the name on the forum thread. i cant quite remenber the orignal thread name but it is now changed to

" BIOS 0603 for P5K Deluxe Released - USE EZ-FLASH METHOD - ASUS UPDATE HAS CORRUPTED MANY FLASHES WITH THIS BIOS VERSION and Permanently corrupts the Bios Chip on All Boards a lot of Times".

the flash tool has been removed from their download section. i downloaded on nov 18-19 and it was just removed no sooner than monday this week.

so now im out a my mb, at the time it died it was 8 days old. from what i hear the send out referb ones too. it is at thei rma dept right now. i sent it out on nov 21. they received on nov 26 (signed for by someone there). they say the got it on the nov 28. who should i beleive, ups or asus? as of today dec 5 they just started repairing it today, so maybe ill have it back by christmas? who knows.

i do know that i will not buy another asus product. them leaving that flash tool up on their site when they knew how low the success rate was and the cost of it being unsussessful is irresponsible.

My P5N-E SLI has been flakey with 4GB of RAM (4X1GB). I get 0X0A blue screens on boot a few times a week. I remove two sticks, she's solid. I am trying a BIOS update to see how that does. I came from a rock solid MSI board, so I am leary.

I have the exact same board, while I was looking around the Asus forums I saw thousands of post about memory problems and my personal problem the no post/blank screen problem with that board. I've had the board for 2 weeks and can barely get it working until 2 days ago It stopped booting altogether.

I guess most ppl on the forums here have quite exceptional experience with Asus. Maybe I became to bias because of one bad experience, Idk about you all but The Asus P5N-E SLi just is not that stable and is one of Asus's crappier boards....

I don't know if its the RAM running at 2.1v stock voltage, and the timings. I had to set the timings manually to get it to boot. I am going to update to the newest BIOS release tonight and see how that effects it. I am not sure, but you never know. I might fry the board, who knows!!!! LOL.

One trend I seem to have picked up (and I could be wrong) is that people who have had good experiences have been dealing with some of the higher end boards. My ~4 year old A8V Deluxe never gave me a single problem (I would consider it high end for its time). However, now that I am on a budget and have had to deal with the lower end of the product line I have nothing but complaints. At least my M2N-E posted after I installed everything... (a bad lowering of standards if I do say so myself.)

My last computer (1.5 y/o VM GE1000) (right now being fixed - cpu fan going bye bye) is a Asus A8N-SLI and I LOVE that computer. Yes, the motherboard did need replacing over the summer, but the replacement board works just as well.

Now, I just got a new VM on Friday. Current specs in my sig. This one has the M2N-Plus SLI Vista Edition board. Yes, I'm running XP Pro, I wanted to stay away from as many problems as possible.

HAH. This board is a nightmare. I know onboard sound isn't going to be hi-fi quality, but I didn't expect SCP constantly. If you move the volume control slightly, you lose your mic. If you plug or unplug anything usb, back to uninstalling and reinstalling the sound drivers so you get something besides noise. Oh, and at least on mine? the PS2 plugs don't work. I figured, fine, there's a problem. Until it can be solved (hopefully) permanently, I'll just use a PS2 keyboard, put an adapter on my mouse, plug 'em in. Neither works. Oh Joy.

I'm supposed to be getting a soundcard and you guessed it, they carry X-FI - either Xtreme Audio or Xtreme Gamer (which I've heard doesn't have as many problems overall) -- the X-FI problems actually aren't just Asus boards from looking at the Creative forums.

From what little I've read and understand on other forums the Asus M2N line has problems, mostly with the insane onboard sound usb "thing" they did. It's driving people crazy!

Anyway, if there was any way to get an A8N board put in this new computer I'd have it done in a heartbeat.

Have not had great luck with gigabyte I must say -- an older (now deceased) puter had a gigabyte board, via chipset. Ran nice, but touchy as all get out.

Oh, all computers Athlon.

I've never been let down by an Asus board. Abit and MSI have let me down in the past. Sadly, I've never owned a DFI board. I really think DFI lanparty boards are the best around, from what I read. Asus would have to take second place in my mind. Asus has put out a couple fluke boards along the way. But nothing to indicate that the brand was indeed bad. I see Abit as being #3 in the mobo race. I am temped to test out Abit again sometime in the future....but I'm more interested in DFI.

Back