How's Shattered Horizon doing?

uacn8

Weaksauce
Would love to try this game ,but I don't want to get straight into the next ghost town. How's SH doing, especially after recent updates? (Moonrise and Firepower).

Simply put, is this game any fun?

Preordered it, but stopped playing about a week after it launched. I think it's good enough to buy (visuals alone are nice) but gameplay lacks.

If it wasn't for the empty servers I'd be playing it more. Shame it never caught on.

http://stats.shatteredhorizon.com/stats/listPlayers.action

Real time global stat tracking for the game. Currently there are 61 players online on 3 servers worldwide. The average is usually less than a hundred. Numbers pick up when the developers put the game on sale or release content, but it always comes back to this figure within days.

The game is as dead as can be.

Wow, Freelancer Discovery mod servers have better numbers than that (yes, a mod of the 2003 Microsoft game).

I played a bit last week, I kept killing my teammates who were in silent mode :eek:

It's an interesting concept, it's a shame that there's not a bigger player base, I think having a single player campaign/tutorial type thing would have helped a lot with the steep learning curve.

Looking around for why this title has failed, the main criticism I found was that there was only one gun in the original game, and people found that boring. The "Firepower" patch added more weapons, but that was apparently far too late for the game to recover.

Looking around for why this title has failed, the main criticism I found was that there was only one gun in the original game, and people found that boring. The "Firepower" patch added more weapons, but that was apparently far too late for the game to recover.

At first that sounds bad...

But didn't Quake get along fine with the rocket arena (only) and rail arena (only) mods?

Never played the game (but do own it), but trying to give an unbiased opinion here: just how many weapons are possible anyway in the vacuum of space?

I was gifted this game and honestly, it just plain out blew chunks. No desire to keep playing it after an hour or so.

Im gonna give it a go this weekend. May even donate my $10 but I dont have high hopes. I hate to say it but this seems like it might have garnered a better following on a console.

I honestly enjoyed it for the couple hours that I played with friends. The learning curve can be difficult for some but I still found it to be overall enjoyable. The problem was the lack of players/servers to give it any longevity.

SH is very impressive. I bought it many months ago and put a number of hours into it. Graphics are spectacular and gameplay is unique and refreshing. I'd be playing it a lot more if EVE wasn't sucking all my gaming time. :D

Played a round..unfortunately not my game type, I'd buy it but I don't think I'd ever play it, just not interesting enough to hold me.

Here's hoping there aren't thousands of others saying the same thing!

There are. This is the critical flaw of SH, and I'm not sure how the devs could possibly fix it. Discussion of the game ALWAYS brings up claims of, "Not sure I wanna buy .. not very active I hear." and "I'd play it more if it was more active." If all the people who currently own it but don't play it started playing, it'd be a decently active game. It really does deserve more players. I really do love SH. I'm Epic Stare Bird, if that rings to anybody. I'm pretty decent too, top scoreboards a lot :). Something nice about a game with a small player base. You can be feared. Anyway, -1 player for now ... the ol' SH-capable machine is down for the count. Need to fix it >:\.

EDIT: Someone brought up EVE. I weep for my PVP character .. he's not training a skill right now because my rig broke down D:

Just downloaded it to give it a try on the free weekend. I get the physx driver crash at start-up which is in their FAQ, but when I dry to update the physx system driver which is the "fix" the installation says my current driver is newer than what is trying to be installed.

O well. Was looking forward to playing it but not now.

A big reason why it didn't catch on is that it's DX10 only. If you look at the Steam hardware surveys, a lot of people are still on DX9 only.

If all the people who currently own it but don't play it started playing, it'd be a decently active game. It really does deserve more players. I really do love SH.

Whoops.

I bought a four-pack, that way if I ever get into SH, and want to boldly proclaim its greatness, if someone else really wanted to get in on it as well, I have copies ready to hand out.

But, I bought it over five months ago, and have never even installed it. Whoops, my bad...

Whoops.

I bought a four-pack, that way if I ever get into SH, and want to boldly proclaim its greatness, if someone else really wanted to get in on it as well, I have copies ready to hand out.

But, I bought it over five months ago, and have never even installed it. Whoops, my bad...

I'll play if you gift me a copy... ;) steam username 'm3ta1head'

Always looking for new games to play. Pretty bored with what's out there currently, I just got over Red Dead Redemption...

edit: can anyone estimate how this game will run on my laptop? specs in sig. note that the mobile HD5830 is roughly equivalent to the desktop HD5770.

It looked interesting, but since it's not DX9 and I don't plan on being able to buy new hardware and stuff anytime soon...no point in purchasing it and hoping it's still around.

It looked interesting, but since it's not DX9 and I don't plan on being able to buy new hardware and stuff anytime soon...no point in purchasing it and hoping it's still around.

Did I mention I bought a four-pack of 5870s? Just so that if I ever got into...

Just kidding, just kidding...

worthless game. It was totally lame since the beta. super shallow gameplay. I don't even think the graphics were that great.

eh, which they would convert some of their other stuff into games. Real games though, not maps + mp.

Did I mention I bought a four-pack of 5870s? Just so that if I ever got into...

Just kidding, just kidding...

Got into DX 10 you could offer them up to people without it? Well if you buy a few more 4 packs of other items, CPU, ram, Windows...you might have a gaming partner heh.

A big reason why it didn't catch on is that it's DX10 only. If you look at the Steam hardware surveys, a lot of people are still on DX9 only.
Steam survey says 53% are DX10 capable.

I don't really buy that anyone even remotely interested in gaming isn't able to do DX10 these days. DX10 GeForce's launched in 2006, that's when I got mine. Later in 2007 the 8800GT and all of the rebadgings became the defecto cost/performance ratio buy for gaming.
Win7 was a mere $39 at launch...

I just can't see how anyone even remotely interested in gaming missed the boat that completely badly. We're almost halfway through 2010 now...

Steam survey says 53% are DX10 capable.

I don't really buy that anyone even remotely interested in gaming isn't able to do DX10 these days. DX10 GeForce's launched in 2006, that's when I got mine. Later in 2007 the 8800GT and all of the rebadgings became the defecto cost/performance ratio buy for gaming.
Win7 was a mere $39 at launch...

I just can't see how anyone even remotely interested in gaming missed the boat that completely badly. We're almost halfway through 2010 now...

Well I know why I missed it, lack of job and an old computer that would run my current games worse on Win 7 than on XP. Didn't see the point of going through the trouble of upgrading the OS when the hardware is still almost 5 years old. Still job hunting, located in Ohio my area got hit hard and is not recovering anywhere near what the government announcements and such would have people believe. Lot of companies are "looking" for employees, but few of them are actually hiring..unless they can replace a current employee with a more qualified/cheaper one.

I actually liked the game -- it's a really cool twist on the standard fps game. I wish they would add more objectives and eyefinity support. This game seems to eat hardware.

I'd play it more if it ran better on my gtx260. It gets terrible performance and stutters a lot, with FPS low in general. The idea of the game itself is neat but lacks any real depth. I actually played it for 10 hours or so but just couldn't put up with the framerates.

Bummer, I missed out on the free weekend. Do they still do passes or whatever? I'd like to check this game out but I'm not sure if I want to do $10 right now, I know call me cheap. :p

I did the free weekend thing, played for about 3 hours. About halfway through I realized I could switch classes. So I thought I would see what the rail gun was all about. I went AWP whore all night, the shear amount of space you have makes it really easy in a lot of maps to just sit back, admire the scenery and snipe the unfortunate passers by with little to no effort. While I enjoyed this aspect, I felt guilty because this tactic is, well, a solid tactic in a capture scenario or defend scenario. I suppose the guilt comes from the massive space that one has to hide. The most satisfying moment was when i first shot an enemy's tank and watching it explode. Beautiful.

Back