How you know when you're old.....

Same here. We're paying I think around $70 for 800/25 through Concast. 25?! I don't do a ton of uploading but when I do, 25 up is just crazy.
Same price here in the Bay Area but it's promo pricing and about to move to $73. Regular price is $90. I'll downgrade the service before I pay that. att fibre is cheaper.

What's the point of owning a Lamborghini when you can only drive it 10 miles per month?
Flossin' my man, Flossin' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of the lines from 'Still Fly' from Big Tymers:

Gator boots with the pimped out Gucci suits
Ain't got no job, but I stay sharp
Can't pay my rent 'cause all my money's spent
But that's okay, 'cause I'm still fly
Got a quarter tank of gas in my new E class
But that's alright, 'cause I'm gon' ride
Got everything in my momma name
But I'm hood rich, la-da-di-da da-da-da-da

These guys had another video with them doing a 'hurricane' aka all wheel drive doughnuts in a lambo with the door open. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reminds me of the mentality of most of the kids these days...haha...

You know you are old when
  • You still know all the DOS commands
  • You were excited that you could upgrade your CPM system to 64KB of RAM.
  • You had tons of floppy disks for offline storage and you spent beaucoup bucks for a 10MB HDD,
  • You are really old when you remember that your first system used punch card input and had tape drives and 29 MB removable disk packs.
  • check!
  • too young :(
  • spent it for a 'hardcard' for our PS/2 30-286 :D
  • Oooo...my dad let me use the nastran machine at his work one time to punch cards. I still wish I had those as they would be a solid memory reminder.

Netgear Nighthawk.....tops out around 950 or so, Comcast is telling me I now get 1gbps...which would really be like 1.1 the way they like to round down around here.......I give zero F's...but I know they offer an 800mbps plan and that will wind up being an actual 850 or 900gbs down so I'm leaving money on the table at this point.

Granted....probably like 10 bucks worth cuz Comcast likes it's price points....but whatever. I'm getting old...that 10 bucks might help me pay for hearing aid batteries from all that Slayer.....<shrug>
Yeah, I would tell them bite me. They wanted to check the model number of my sb6190 and I told them that it's the same modem I had on the same plan at the previous place I lived, so it works. I don't want them blocking modems and playing force upgrades on me because that's the game. And the upload on the faster plans is the same as the slower ones so I just stick with the fastest upload and call it a day.

I just remembered that I started out with "LANtastic" which could network DOS-based PCs. 10Base2 of course.

That 10 Base2 cable is still in the walls of my house. Some day, maybe around 2050 the house will be torn down and the people then will have no idea why anyone actually used cable to connect up PCs, instead of super-quantum subatomic Wi-Fi 28.
Man, I still have an unlimited license for that somewhere around here. :) I started out on that exact same setup myself. :) Terminators anyone? :ROFLMAO:

I bet that cable can run moca 2.5Gb pretty well! And by the time there is wifi 28, 400Tb will be the new wired speed. :D Wired > Wireless Always!

I feel so blessed that I'm not old. I'm not sure what I'd do without my sharp vision libido and hearing. Listing to audio books all day in a reclining message chair maybe.
Oh, I haven't felt any of those slow down, but I didn't abuse them when I was younger either. :)

I'm sorta in the same boat as you, but I do find 10baseT slow. So much that 10Mb upload is pathetic if you want to stream anything OUT from your home. I had a 200/10 connection for the longest time and the 200Mb is more than adequate, but the 10Mb upload is not. I was about to spring for their higher plan that was 500/20 when all of a sudden----they updated their 200Mb plan to 20Mb upload. So now I have a 200/20 connection. I'm happy with that.

View attachment 539202
Yeah, upload is where it's at. The lopsided bandwidth should have gone away a long time ago since it's no longer technically necessary, but 200/20 sounds a lot better than 20/20 or 40/40, so that's the game. :rolleyes:

I'm paying $190 for 3 x 10/1.5 lines in Amish country in Ohio.
I pay $110 for 2.5/2.5Gb fiber in Georgia
View attachment 539244
Crazy isn't it? To me, the slowest speeds is the measure of progress, not the fastest ones.

I had a 3x setup like that back in 2004--what's the router you're using?

Comcast keeps sending me emails telling me my SB8200 modem can't hit my "1.2"gb internet speed.
View attachment 539364
Fuck off comcast. I know how to do WAN aggregation. I'll upgrade when you give me some upload.
Hahaha!! Good! So that second port on the 8200 is of use and wasn't just marketing after all. :)

I am lucky to have access to Fiber with Frontier who bought it From Verizon. I have 500/500 and its more than enough even though they have 1Gbp symmetrical. Even with my plex server I host and share with quite a few ppl, I am a cheap bastard and wont upgrade to more speeds
I had 75/75 with verizon in NYC when we were there and that was killer fast enough for me. They had speeds all the way to 1Gb, but we moved in like 3 months, lol.

Its wild that the middle of nowhere can get gigabit no problem but then a lot of the major cities like SFO / NYC are struggling to just get over 500/20.

Have a few friends I work with and they keep complaining that they cant get there files to the office on tight deadlines since Time Warner/Spectrum doesn't offer more than a 500/20 upload on cable.

Wild times
That's when you have to stack providers and multi-wan. Silly, but it does get around the upload issues.

Crazy isn't it? To me, the slowest speeds is the measure of progress, not the fastest ones.

I had a 3x setup like that back in 2004--what's the router you're using?
Right now, it's just 3 lines into three rooms but I'm going to try a multi-WAN router the next time I head up to Ohio.

I can remember when BBS boards were still a thing. And I used a Hayes 1200 modem to connect. Trip miles down memory lane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_Microcomputer_Products
I think I still have one of those somewhere. They were used very heavily in the hospitality industry when they moved away from satellite and they would literally trash all the modem on each 'upgrade' which was just changing the server hardware. So I have a nice little collection of modems that probably all still work. Too bad you can't find an analogue line to use them with...oh wait, I have that too since I have an old panasonic pbx system haha.

How fast does your connection need to be to make a post here? :-P

I remember the days where I had to stop typing to wait for the characters to show up on the remote system which was using an acoustic coupler and connected at 150 bps.
Or when "solid state" meant not having vacuum tubes!
Plug the iron into the same outlet as the TV and had a nice border around the picture due to the lack of regulation. And people complain about not enough PCI-E lanes and bezels thicker than quarter of an inch! Ouch! ;-)
You win hands down. :D I almost forgot about the acoustic couplers. The movie Wargames probably is the only place you can see it in action. I always wanted to hear what Matthew Broderick learned or knew about computers when he took that role as he played it very believably.

But for you 20 and 30 something spring chickens out there, sure go for it and build you a small server farm!
That's the only thing that runs through my head when I try to justify a 5Gb connection at our house. I'd have to basically start a co-lo business, haha.

Right now, it's just 3 lines into three rooms but I'm going to try a multi-WAN router the next time I head up to Ohio.
I'd recommend anything from watchguard--even their very oldest stuff as they basically can use any port as wan/lan and the load balancing is terrific. :) I used to use a Cisco rv016, but it had some issues with the carrier sending 100 packets/sec as an ack/nak to see if the line was up and it would drop a line when that happened. This was with the Arris C4 carrier side, which I'm sure has been upgrade so maybe that problem isn't there anymore and the rv016 will work fine. It tops out at just under 45Mb wan to lan, so should be able to handle your connections and be dirt cheap and dead simple to set up.

If it's upload bandwidth you need, you might be able to get two accounts and two modems that have the same upload, but less download and use a multi-wan router to pipe them into a single usable connection. You won't be able to get 70Mbs upload from a single stream (for example), but you would get 35 each on two streams.

I used to have 3x modems set up like this back in 2004 because I needed more than 768k upload bandwidth. I coupled them with an cisco rv016 router and was hitting 24/2 back when 8M/768k was lightning fast.

But I found out today with Comcast that they can't do more than one modem at one address. So strange this different ISPs--I have 2x modems from Spectrum at one site in another state, lol.
Cox is the same, one modem at one address.

It really is ridiculous that they still have data caps on home internet. Verizon been great since I changed from comcrap 5 or so years ago. I pay $70 for a 1 GB connections. It really is unnecessary for me since I live alone but damn can't complain when 50+ GB download are done in a blink.

My area has both COX and {WOW/Atlantic_Broadband/Breezeline} as options. I had COX for the longest time until WOW came here, then I switched. The main reason being no data caps. Now I'm slightly regretting it because since Breezeline took over for WOW, things have gone downhill. The only saving grace is the 200/20 speed option, which is perfect for me.

It really is ridiculous that they still have data caps on home internet. Verizon been great since I changed from comcrap 5 or so years ago. I pay $70 for a 1 GB connections. It really is unnecessary for me since I live alone but damn can't complain when 50+ GB download are done in a blink.
The 1Gbps upload comes in handy to back up a few tens of TB to backblaze too! ;-)

Of all the isp accounts I deal with, comcast is the only one.

My area has both COX and {WOW/Atlantic_Broadband/Breezeline} as options. I had COX for the longest time until WOW came here, then I switched. The main reason being no data caps. Now I'm slightly regretting it because since Breezeline took over for WOW, things have gone downhill. The only saving grace is the 200/20 speed option, which is perfect for me.
I remember after wow took over knology in our area, things have been downhill since. But they did introduce a 500/50 speed which has nice upload.

Back