How would you rate the taste of the typical modern PC gamer?

Modern compared to when? If you go too far back you run into issues. Let's say internet connectivity was the exact same as now would games 20 years ago really have been the same?

Seems pretty much the same depending on how far back you want to go.

Differences largely stem from changes in high concept/genre preferences accounting for the only real changes or technology changes (mentioned above).

Just look at the top 5 out of 6 games. Aside from Garry's Mod those games all stemmed from popular franchises in the past and at least had some development input from people who worked on the past franchises. Original CS is still there at number 10 even.

I find modern gamers to be a bit greasy and fatty for my tastes. Although it depends on what geographic area you're referencing as modern European gamers are a bit sugary, middle eastern gamers are a bit to gritty and lean, while Asian gamers are just about right for my pallet.

Guess it is all personal preference but would suggest you try them all for yourself as I'm sure everyone will have different tastes.

Too much cabbage being produced to leave root space for anything else to grow.
Most things taste of cabbage.

Well?

steam-top-games.jpg

Have you ever played Diablo 2?

Possibly the greatest RPG ever created.

Not surprised at it being number 1.

Have you ever played Diablo 2?

Possibly the greatest RPG ever created.

Not surprised at it being number 1.

dota 2 and diablo 2 arent the same game

myself, all ive been playing is csgo. i just got fc4 for christmas, maybe ill give that a try.

Last edited:
Just because these are the games with the most players doesnt mean they are being played by your typical modern PC gamer. Not to mention you only have numbers from Steam. What about Origin and Battle.net numbers?

Arma 3 gave me some hope but then I remember what the vast majority of the servers actually cater to.

Just because these are the games with the most players doesnt mean they are being played by your typical modern PC gamer. Not to mention you only have numbers from Steam. What about Origin and Battle.net numbers?
I doubt it gets better outside steam.

Largest pc games outside steam are minecraft, WoW, LoL and the sims but I'm sure some Facebook game is beating all of them
its like 2007-2008 graphics and physics, but it is the ONLY competitive FPS game out right now.

Not really some maps literally have the same textures from cssource. Most of tech in the game is still from 2004.

Last edited:
Not really some maps literally have the same textures from cssource. Most of tech in the game is still from 2004.

Don't forget, the "tech" from 2004 was designed to emmulate the original Counter Strike from 1999.

The only one of those games I own (not counting the free L4D2, which I didn't download since I have the 360 version) is Counter Strike. I haven't played it in 10'ish years either.
Looks like I'm out of touch with what's popular. Oh well!

I don't know how one can really define 'taste'. People like what they like, and new generations always seem to find their own taste in things different from that of previous generations. Sometimes tastes recirculate after a few generations. Also given that the list is only games on Steam, it isn't a complete list. Also, you have a decent mix of types of games on that list, so I don't think there is anything really wrong with it. They don't all share my tastes, but I grew up in a different world than the current generation.

its like 2007-2008 graphics and physics, but it is the ONLY competitive FPS game out right now.

That is interesting considering it did not have the highest prize pool for FPS games. In fact it is below prize pools from years half a decade ago...to Counter Strike:Source. And that is below prize pools from Call of Duty, which has a prize pool twice as high.

CSGO has like 2005 graphics and physics

And that's why it sells. Everyone can play it. Most people just don't want to spend money on upgrading their computer when their 2005 computer can browse the internet and email just fine. And if they're forced to upgrade because their computer finally gives out, they can buy that $400 laptop at Best Buy rather than buying a $2000 self built PC.

While I love to delude myself pretending that killer games use to get people to upgrade (such as Wing Commander), the reality is it was probably MS Windows or Microsoft Office running faster on a 386 than a 286 that lead to people upgrading.

The popular games off Steam are not all that different either.

What's popular not on Steam? Blizzard games were popular in the past as well. EA games like Battlefield series and The Sims which are not on Steam were also what was popular in the past.

Does the game have an item system involving timed/random drops (that are marketable)? Then halve the # of players from that list, cuz they're likely just idling/farming accounts. The titles pretty much stay in the same rankings, but it gives you a better idea of who's actually playing what.

dota 2 and diablo 2 arent the same game

myself, all ive been playing is csgo. i just got fc4 for christmas, maybe ill give that a try.

Lol major fail on my end. I could of sworn it said Diablo 2.

My GF of 4 years is into Diablo, WoW, Skyrim, and Dragon Age. She tastes phenomenal.

Half of all PC gamers play shitty Valve games on their shitty computers in shitty DirectX 9.

The other half are pre-teens who play Garry's Mod.

God help us.

Going by the Steam Stats only in the OP, to me, it looks like PC "gamers" are less likely to fall for marketing/hype like console players. On console that chart would be filled with AAA mediocre titles with COD at the top.

I dunno but it seems less and less are playing fps on pc or is that just me

definitely not just you. i honestly think pure FPS games (non-RPG) in general have seen a sharp decline in population lately. there's just not that much left to tell storywise.

i miss the days of RTCW and ET. :(

Going by the Steam Stats only in the OP, to me, it looks like PC "gamers" are less likely to fall for marketing/hype like console players.
I disagree.

PC gamers are throwing gobs of cash at Kickstarter and Early Access titles based purely on hype and marketing. And let's not forget the collective swooning last year from the PC gamer community in regards to Steam Controller, which was a trackpad with a Valve logo on it.

I feel that PC gamers surrender to marketing hype from celebrity developers and Valve just as much as console gamers fawn over the latest Call of Duty and Madden.

I disagree.

PC gamers are throwing gobs of cash at Kickstarter and Early Access titles based purely on hype and marketing. And let's not forget the collective swooning last year from the PC gamer community in regards to Steam Controller, which was a trackpad with a Valve logo on it.

I feel that PC gamers surrender to marketing hype from celebrity developers and Valve just as much as console gamers fawn over the latest Call of Duty and Madden.

Well they did give us HL2, Portal 2, L4D2, TF2? The have yet to release a non A+ game in my book. (Although Steam gets an A- :))

HL2 is not that good a game.

The intent and world design is really nice. However, the actual game you play is very stilted and rarely very interesting. and topping it all, many of the mechanics (beside the shooting) do not feel particularly good.

The game was also pretty broken at launch, to include the supposedly amazing A.I. which never really did pan out, even after being fixed in patches. To further hurt things, most of the added difficulty in the difficulty slider is just extra bullets/rockets required to kill things. Not more enemies or better A.I. routines. The flying things you shoot with rockets went from 3 rockets on normal, to 9 rockets on hard.

and then there's the fact that the game suddenly ends. full stop.

Episode 2 was finally more like the HL game I wanted, after Half Life 1 (which I played for the first time only two months before the release of HL2).

I dunno but it seems less and less are playing fps on pc or is that just me

A lot of FPS devs shoot themselves in the foot by releasing their products in either an unfinished or broken state. As such, the hype around launch fizzles and then they get passed over by the masses; Natural Selection 2, Insurgency 2, and Arma 3 all come to mind. We also had a number of titles over the years that were crippled from the get-go by the horrid G4WL, and still more that were crippled by being launched without dedicated servers.

Hopefully 2015 will bring us a few goodies to turn the genre around: UT4, Toxikk, and Evolve could all be extremely popular if done right.

Their taste is fine, people like what they like, who am I to judge?

A lot of games aren't on that list though. My two main games I'm playing now are WoW (past 7 years really) with a dose of DA:I whenever I have a few hours free. Neither of those would show up on steam, just like most EA games wouldn't, same with blizzard games. Something like xfire (do people still use xfire?) or raptr would be generally more accurate.

You really can't base the question off of a Steam stats screen capture for a single day, especially during a Steam sale.

Get the stats every day at the same time, compile the data, list the games by number of users online, then drop off the bottom 10 games or so to account for people playing the Steam Sale of the day games. Then get back with us with your question.

Their taste is fine, people like what they like, who am I to judge?

Exactly how I look at it. My son plays CS-GO, GMod, and Minecraft mostly, I was into fighting games (SF2 and MK) and sports games when I was his age.

You really can't base the question off of a Steam stats screen capture for a single day, especially during a Steam sale.

Get the stats every day at the same time, compile the data, list the games by number of users online, then drop off the bottom 10 games or so to account for people playing the Steam Sale of the day games. Then get back with us with your question.

Well to be fair the top 5 games have been the same for awhile now. The top4 have been there for at least 2 or 3 years.

Going by the Steam Stats only in the OP, to me, it looks like PC "gamers" are less likely to fall for marketing/hype like console players. On console that chart would be filled with AAA mediocre titles with COD at the top.

I'd rather play AAA games than a lot of the stuff in the list. Amazed with the amount of people playing ArmA 3. I would hope the devs would improve the issues plaguing the series since the 90s with all the sales, but I doubt they will. As long as someone can slap on a half done survival mod, they'll be satisfied with their product.

Amazed at Football Manager's numbers. It is one of those games I never hear about, but constantly is one of the top played games. Even at $50. I suppose it pulls in a lot of otherwise non-gamers, hence the low specs. Also amazed that Payday 2 still has a high amount of players. IMO, the recent updates are not as good and I have to re unlock a lot of abilities. I am surprised people still play it considering all of that.

Personally I don't care for much of anything on that list. Only played five of those games for any period of time. I did play Gmod when it was a mod for a bit, and tried War Thunder (I hate MMOs).

Back