How would you rate the classic Mega Man games?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Mega Man is one of my favorite series and while I don't have extensive experience with all of them I'd rate them as:

MM3>MM2>MM4>MM5>MM6>MM1. I actually like MM3 better than 2 but it is a close call.

Also, watch this video if you want to watch some young kids tackle MM1. Be ready to face palm, HARD.

I've only played 1 through 3, to completion. I didn't really like the newer ones as much. Maybe because I played MMX after that and I found it hard to go back.

But probably the original... it's hard for me to feel one way or another considering I was like 7 or 8 when I played them, proobably. That's 20 years ago.

MegaMan 3 is my favorite as well followed closely by the first. While I've played MM2 since, I never played it when it was new. The first one was one of my favorite gaming experiences. Never had I played something quite like it, and still to this day there's not much with the exact "Boss Power" mechanic.

My list would go something like this. (only including the ones I've played fairly extensively)
MM3 (the music alone for this one is enough to make it my favorite)
MM1
MMX1
MMX2
MM4
Rockman and Forte (via emulation much later)
MMX4

I've dabbled a bit with the others, but not enough to have formed an opinion on which are my favorites.

I played MM10 on the Wii a little bit, and while it's pretty cool, I just didn't end up playing it significantly due to other games at the time.

I liked the first one because it was insanely hard. By #4 they had jumped the shark with the different "...man" enemies, so I lost interest.

It's not considered "classic MegaMan", but Legends was fun.

Oh, yea I'd say #3 is my favorite followed closely by #2. #1 gets my third choice but I haven't really played any others after 3 (including X series) so I'm not sure how good they are.

Legends
X
Legends 2
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
MM2
X3
MM8
X4
Rockman & Forte
X2
Soccer
Zero series
ZX series
Smash Bros Wii U
Smash Bros 3DS
MVC2
MVC
Megaman 2: The Power Fighters
Megaman: The Power Battle
Playing outside
Drawing Megaman figures on a napkin
Listening to nails on chalkboard
X5 or later X series
Eating garbage filled with feces
Battle Network series (I'm sorry, I just CANNOT STAND this stupid card-playing bullshit)

Only listing the Megaman games I've beaten. Though I've played them (usually when they came out), never completely beat MM1, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. Oh, and never beat Battle Network series, because it can go suck one.

mm2 was a game I remember getting for a birthday when I was a kid and spending all night trying to beat it. For nostalgia, it's possibly my favorite game ever. Other than that I pretty much agree with the other's opinions.

I would rate the classic Megaman games are infuriating and controller throw inducing, at times. That being said I really liked the Megaman X series of games.

MM3>MM2>MM4>MM5>MM6>MM1. I actually like MM3 better than 2 but it is a close call.

MegaMan 3 is my favorite as well followed closely by the first.

Oh, yea I'd say #3 is my favorite followed closely by #2. #1 gets my third choice but I haven't really played any others after 3 (including X series) so I'm not sure how good they are.

You damn right.
Sliding Mega man with no mega booster is best Mega man.

Also, nostalgia clouds people into thinking X is better than X2. X2 is the best X game in every way. The X series is only worth playing up to X4, the rest......

All the ZERO GBA games are good. ZX and ZX advent are also good, if you enjoyed the ZERO games. They sorta follow the ZERO games and the controls are somewhat identical.

Legends
X
Legends 2
The Misadventures of Tron Bonne
MM2
X3
MM8
X4
Rockman & Forte
X2
Soccer
Zero series
ZX series
Smash Bros Wii U
Smash Bros 3DS
MVC2
MVC
Megaman 2: The Power Fighters
Megaman: The Power Battle
Playing outside
X5 or later X series
Battle Network series (I'm sorry, I just CANNOT STAND this stupid card-playing bullshit)

Only listing the Megaman games I've beaten. Though I've played them (usually when they came out), never completely beat MM1, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. Oh, and never beat Battle Network series, because it can go suck one.

:D I conveniently left out the Power Battle games in my list. (without the supporting, scrolling levels, I just couldn't go on...)

I see that MM8 is high on your list. I own the PS1 disc, but have never actually even played it. I may have to give it a whirl if it's that good.

X5 or later X series

X8 is easily better than any an of X3 through X7, probably better than X2, and possibly better than X1.

You damn right.
Sliding Mega man with no mega booster is best Mega man.

Also, nostalgia clouds people into thinking X is better than X2. X2 is the best X game in every way. The X series is only worth playing up to X4, the rest......

All the ZERO GBA games are good. ZX and ZX advent are also good, if you enjoyed the ZERO games. They sorta follow the ZERO games and the controls are somewhat identical.

Which one has Armored Armadillo? That's the X that I like. Good music.

Which one has Armored Armadillo? That's the X that I like. Good music.

X.
The way I see it, X is Rock music, while X2 is straight up Metal arrangements.

From X2:
Flame Stag: http://youtu.be/vABtjS3hZiM
Crystal Snail: http://youtu.be/wlUAOrYqy94
Magna Centipede: http://youtu.be/qYkvajEDGZM
Intro Stage: http://youtu.be/GJ9FqD7wWEU

X1 intro stage is great, but it doesn't get me pumping like the intro stage of X2.
I grew up on X1. I found the greatness of X2 about 2 years ago. It is a better game in every way.

Last edited:
I'll have to give X2 a good whirl when I'm feeling nostalgic sometime soon. Sounds good.

I just didn't like X2 because it was so ridiculously easy, at least when I played it. But maybe it was because I played X to death? (Played both upon release on SNES)

FFIW, X4 is the only one I thought was 'hard', and that was only at the very end.
Kinda like ZX actually. The final stage of ZX drove me insane. I don't think I ever beat it to be honest.

The only real hard ones I can remember are MM1, MM9 (hardly played it, just remember SUCKING hard the times I tried) and now MM10.

I might try to beat it someday when super bored, but I just do not care enough to grind through MM10 and its "Sigma says hi, lawl!" level designer's sadism -_-

I did enjoy 9 and 10 when they released them, but 10 kicked my butt that I never had a chance to beat it. I should give it another go.

eh, hard since I didn't spend an equal time playing each one.

For the original NES MegaMan 2 was my favorite. Megaman 1 was probably my least favorite. I thought 3 was okay. The ones that came later seemed too focused on fancy weapons and some even came out after the SNES and MegamanX games had already come out. Maybe I was just a spoiled little kid at the time but I always viewed the later versions of NES Megaman as for poor kids who couldn't afford an SNES.

For the SNES, the first Megaman X was definitely my favorite. I liked X2 and X3 also but it just seemed like the same thing with more fancy weapons, etc. I also spent lots of time playing the Gameboy version of Megaman 2 using my SuperGameboy adapter on my SNES.

The N64 was the only console I ever had after the SNES, and I never played any megaman games on it. Shortly thereafter I got into computer gaming almost exclusively.

I had one for the PC (EGA graphics, PC Speaker only sound, only three bosses, etc.) I never had an NES though, and until emulation surfaced later, I had to get all my Megaman(ing) done at friends' houses. (actually I did have an NES, but it was much later, and just for nostalgic purposes) Even though it was kind of crappy by Megaman standards, that PC one got me by when I couldn't play a real one. :D (or I'd just forget about it and play C64 games...)

I have a confession to make. I hope it doesn't cause me to lose any nerd cred with you cats. But...

I never played the MegaMen for NES. Not a single one. Now, the X series on SNES? Amazing games. I don't recall much about X3, so it wasn't very memorable. But X and X2 were da bomb, yo.

Like the other posters said, the music in those games is classic Capcom. And you can see the impact the music had on people our age. There are many musicians who cover those songs on varying instruments on YouTube. I put the music of X and X2 right behind DKC on the 16-bit tunes scale.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MegaMan X cart cost over $60 when it was released. Was it not a $65 cart?

Also, the Sigma final boss was fucking ridiculous.

Pretty sure Megaman X cost $65 or more when it came out. I think my aunt paid $70+ for Street Fighter II Turbo that Christmas or the next as well (only two games I got for a while).

May seem like a lot, but at least games back then were finished products upon release. Only Nintendo and their second parties does that anymore :p

Megaman 3, probably because it was the first Megaman game I owned and played but its still fantastic game. Megaman 2 is close second. Probably only thing preventing it from becoming number 1 is the lack of sliding which I find is essential for dodging. Going to 2 after 3 was bit of a shock in that regard.

The rest of the NES Megamans are equally good as far as I am concerned. They did nothing wrong and used the same tried and true formula. They just worked. Today in hindsight you could complain about lack of innovation but back then as a kid it didnt matter, they were all awesome. Though Megaman 1 is probably the least favourite because it is bit crude and slower in controls, less snappy feeling.

Out of the X games only one I can rate is the first one because I moved from NES to PC gaming and it happens to be that there was a PC version of Megaman X (which not many people know about) and it was fantastic game! However the rest of X games I have barely even touched, even on emulators. This is something I really should fix one day.

...PC version of Megaman X (which not many people know about) and it was fantastic game! However the rest of X games I have barely even touched, even on emulators. This is something I really should fix one day.

I had X through X4 on the PC. Though I really only played the first one. By the time I would have gotten to the others, I got into other things. I remember being amazed when X was released on the PC. It was pretty close to the time that they released the CDROM Super Stree Fighter 2 on PC. :cool:

I had X through X4 on the PC. Though I really only played the first one. By the time I would have gotten to the others, I got into other things. I remember being amazed when X was released on the PC. It was pretty close to the time that they released the CDROM Super Stree Fighter 2 on PC. :cool:

What? The other X games are on PC too? This was news to me too. :eek: Super Street Fighter 2 turbo I played to hell on PC though.

.edit. Quick search in google revealed that ALL X games have PC versions. How did i miss this!? So me being a PC gamer is no excuse for not playing them. :(

What? The other X games are on PC too? This was news to me too. :eek: Super Street Fighter 2 turbo I played to hell on PC though.

.edit. Quick search in google revealed that ALL X games have PC versions. How did i miss this!? So me being a PC gamer is no excuse for not playing them. :(

In your defense, they were fairly quietly released.

Never played a mega man game. The character looks like crap to me.

Sir, I fart in your general direction!

I beat every MM up to X3 as a kid, some of my fondest gaming memories. They were pretty tough games, but I never thought of them as difficult as some people rate them by today's standards. That is, until I tried to replay them a few years ago on an emulator. I must have been one badass gamer in my childhood, cause they kicked my ass as an adult. I just don't have the patience or reflexes I used to, I guess. Still, I'll always have a place in my heart for the MM series.

Megaman 2 and Rockman and Forte are my favorite. I loved Rockman and Forte so much I actually bought the game for SNES. :) Woot.

There are too many to rank, but I wanted to add that the Battle Network games are serious fun if you haven't checked them out. It's a card game basically that takes a surprising amount of planning and skill to complete. My favorite was X definitely. I had 1-5 for NES, but I was so young when I played them. I played 5 the most out of the true classics.

Back