How will me know when C2 steppings z87 are out?

Yup, it's a C1 according to CPUZ

Damn you Microcenter... then again, it doesn't really seem to be affecting me

An update: Glad to report that my 11/18/13 purchase of an Asus Maximus VI Formula from the local Micro Center with the old part # with a serial number of D8******* is a confirmed C2! The BIOS is still 0714 (July 9, 2013).

Oh damn, that was part of my decision getting the hero over the formula. I wanted a C2 stepping more than I needed the additional features. I can't boot yet since I have no CPU or memory but hopefully that gets resolved soon. I laugh every time I see this thread now since I was never able to fix the topic :)

The OCD in me isn't sitting well with this... when I go back to Microcenter today to get an $80 refund on my 4770K i will have to see if there is any way to tell the C2 revision on the GD65 if there are any on the shelf.

The OCD in me isn't sitting well with this... when I go back to Microcenter today to get an $80 refund on my 4770K i will have to see if there is any way to tell the C2 revision on the GD65 if there are any on the shelf.

I was in the boat as you, even knowing about the C2 on the box label, forgetting about it when at store buying MB, remembering when at home starting pc build, checked label for C2, hell no its not there because I'm a dumbass... Went ahead put together on table to check CPU-Z, of fucking course it was a C1. Threw a fit :mad:, boxed it back up, returned to MC the next day and found one with a tiny C2 on the side box label. Exchanged, went home to verify before putting in case and was greatly relieved to have a C2! But what a pain in the ass! My own dumb fault for forgetting about it...

You can easily tell if C2, as it says on the side label on box, on the right, a tiny "C2"

Please don't anyone give us a damn break and put a decent size label on the front of the box indicating C2! Oh wait, ASRock did with some boards didn't they? Well thank you ASRock!

I just got back from Micro Center to get my refund. (woot $200 4770k)

I checked every single Z87 motherboard in the store, they weren't carrying a single C2 board, and I checked all brands.
All the Asus boxes were Rev 1.0 boards, no C2 stickers or markings. The MSI boards were all the same PCB revision as mine (1.1) but not C2.

Oh well, if it really becomes an issue for me i'll just sell it and buy a new one, but so far, it has not been.

Let's hope black Friday, cyber Monday and Christmas sales deplete any C1 stock still surviving.

The asus board do not have different version number. A pretty accurate way to find out is by the serial number. The ones with serial number starting with D8M are in general C2 boards. This has been proven many times.

I just got back from Micro Center to get my refund. (woot $200 4770k)

I checked every single Z87 motherboard in the store, they weren't carrying a single C2 board, and I checked all brands.
All the Asus boxes were Rev 1.0 boards, no C2 stickers or markings. The MSI boards were all the same PCB revision as mine (1.1) but not C2.

Oh well, if it really becomes an issue for me i'll just sell it and buy a new one, but so far, it has not been.

The asus board do not have different version number. A pretty accurate way to find out is by the serial number. The ones with serial number starting with D8M are in general C2 boards. This has been proven many times.

I saw that earlier in the thread, none of them had that serial, this was the west Chicago store.

Considering they have an entire wall of returned/open box motherboards, MicroCenter just doesn't seem to have a very high motherboard throughput

Interesting, so there is no label like this? The actual board should have it as well, above the memory slot.

2vmfu37.jpg

I saw that earlier in the thread, none of them had that serial, this was the west Chicago store.

Considering they have an entire wall of returned/open box motherboards, MicroCenter just doesn't seem to have a very high motherboard throughput

Sorry I wasn't clear, they all had those labels, but none of them were D8M

The second digit is the month of the manufacture date. D8M means made in Augest. D7M means make in July. Intel started shipping C2 chipsets in July. That is why we see all C2 boards are D7M and D8M. I am fairly confidence, D8Ms are all C2, as many users reported. Users also reported that Asus didn't use new part number in the US(at least of now). There may be exception.

Last edited:
The second digit is the month of the manufacture date. D8M means made in Augest. D7M means make in July. Intel started shipping C2 chipsets on late June/early July. That is why we see all C2 boards are D7M and D8M. I am fairly confidence, D8Ms are all C2, as many users reported. Users also reported that Asus didn't use new part number in the US(at least of now). There may be exception.

Intel began in August but it was up to MB manufacturers to do it on their own.

A Z87 MB made in August by a non Intel brand may or may not have the C2 stepping.

I have yet to see of any reports of Gigabyte making Z87 with C2 stepping.

I think Asus received C2 chipsets in July. The picture with the serial number posted moment ago has serial number D7M, and that board is a C2 board.

Intel began in August but it was up to MB manufacturers to do it on their own.

A Z87 MB made in August by a non Intel brand may or may not have the C2 stepping.

I have yet to see of any reports of Gigabyte making Z87 with C2 stepping.

To fix the Z87 USB controller problem or not to fix it? That is the question.

I almost think some manufacturers have chosen not to fix it to avoid massive RMA problems. May be easier to just leave it as be than to open up a case of C2 stepping worms.

The ASUS Z87-WS I purchased from Newegg earlier this month came with a C2 stepping chipset. Its serial number began with D8S.

The ASUS Z87-WS I purchased from Newegg earlier this month came with a C2 stepping chipset. Its serial number began with D8S.

Do you have the old part number or the new part number? New part number ends with 5.

Just bought an Asus 87-Pro from Memory Express in Vancouver, BC this past weekend (November 24).

My sticker has:
Part Number: 90MB0DT0-M0AAY0
Serial Number: D5M0AJ159001

Based on the information, this looks like a C1 board. I'm going to put it together anyways as the bug doesn't really bother me. Even when I was in school several years ago and constantly using my USB key for work, I always saved and removed the drive before putting my computer to sleep out of habit.

I'll update if it is a C2.

Just bought an Asus 87-Pro from Memory Express in Vancouver, BC this past weekend (November 24).

My sticker has:
Part Number: 90MB0DT0-M0AAY0
Serial Number: D5M0AJ159001

Based on the information, this looks like a C1 board. I'm going to put it together anyways as the bug doesn't really bother me. Even when I was in school several years ago and constantly using my USB key for work, I always saved and removed the drive before putting my computer to sleep out of habit.

I'll update if it is a C2.

I'm pretty sure it's C1. D5 is made back in May, which was the initial wave.

I'm pretty sure it's C1. D5 is made back in May, which was the initial wave.

Yeah I thought so too. Crazy that stock that old is still available. Either the store has a huge surplus or the Z87-Pro isn't popular in my area.

The second digit is the month of the manufacture date. D8M means made in Augest. D7M means make in July. Intel started shipping C2 chipsets in July. That is why we see all C2 boards are D7M and D8M. I am fairly confidence, D8Ms are all C2, as many users reported. Users also reported that Asus didn't use new part number in the US(at least of now). There may be exception.

I debunked that theory (which I helped start) as I bought 2 late-serial D8M Gryphon boards that were both C1s.

I debunked that theory (which I helped start) as I bought 2 late-serial D8M Gryphon boards that were both C1s.

Probably you got an early D8M batch before the C2 got implemented. My D8M M6F is C2, I was lucky.

Do you have the old part number or the new part number? New part number ends with 5.

Looks like I have the old part number, even though I got the C2 stepping.

Serial #: D8S1YZ000902
Part #: 90SB0390-M0AAY0

I just received a Asus maximus hero with serial number: DAM... The "A" means this is made in October, still with original part number. This board was purchased on Amazon on 11/23.
Even a October board still has the original part number, I could pretty much conclude that Asus will not use the new part number like in europe. For the people waiting for C2 board, I think you are pretty safe to make a purchase now.

wraqvo.jpg

Last edited:
It totally depends on the model. The ROG boards were C2s from the get go.

That is correct. But I have seen users reporting getting C2 version for most of the popular models, including ROG, Pro, WS, Plus, Deluxe, Deluxe Dual. Very very few models are still having C1. This only apply to US ordered from Amazon and Newegg.

I held off on Haswell for this very reason. Updated CPU on existing AMD systems instead.

I just got an Asus Z87 pro from newegg and it has the DAM serial at the beginning. As mentioned in a previous post, the first digit designates the year ,D=2013, the second digit designates the month, A=October. Here is a copy and paste from the Asus forum. I have not instead the MB yet, I would guess this is a C2 stepping.

Motherboard Serial Number

ASUS products have serial numbers that are 10 - 15 digits long. They have the following format:

1st digit: Year Manufactured (last digit of the year). From 2010, the year is represented by A-? ("A" = 2010, "B" = 2011, "C" = 2012 ...)
2nd digit: Month Manufactured (1-9, A-C)
3rd digit: Product code ("N" for notebook, "M" for motherboard, etc.)
Examples:
Motherboard manufactured in year 2010 ("A"), September ("9"):
Serial Number: A9Mxxxxxxxxx

Motherboard manufactured in year 2009 ("9"), December (12 is represented by "C"):
Serial Number: 9CMxxxxxxxxx

Back