How well is a C2Q 9550 and 5870 these days?

shaggy77

Gawd
Hi,

Just a quick warning. My thoughts are a bit scattered due to holidays and work. I am blessed working for a company has seems to have unlimited overtime and the work is for the most part fairly easy to deal with.

Just as the title says. How well do Intel's Q9550 and ATI5870 hold up these days? The rest of the specs are in the sig below. I try to follow the hardware advancements but over the past couple of years I really do not game all that much anymore due to focusing on other things like life, my family, work and other activities. The newest piece of hard ware is a Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD. It made it feel much quicker.

I starting getting the idea to upgrade this desktop. My new Toshiba laptop is an i7 Haswell which is pretty quick on Windows 8. (The whole Windows8 was a pain to get use too but works on this laptop.) That got the same Samsung SSD as the main rig. My laptop loves it. The Samsung hard drive politely reminded me the Sata 2 ports of the motherboard are going to affect the overall speed of the drive since the drive is a SATA3. i have been using USB3 flash drives more. I see the marginal speed difference when copying a file for work.

Here is where I am at. I was thinking about going to AMD for an A10 based CPU. However when I did some basic research it doesn't look like more of an upgrade but a downgrade/side grade in some specs. I priced out an Intel i5, which I think would be an upgrade over a Q9550 but when I really looked at it, it's going to be several hundred bucks for just a board, CPU, and RAM. Then add in some more cash for a GPU since the on board option is meh at best. Better than the old days. Add some more cash for an aftermarkt CPU cooler since my current cooler does not have the option for 1155/1150 boards. I tried to catch up on the GPUs and was lost :) That lead me to thinking about how much will I really use this desktop based system.

Pros
DDR3 RAM
SATA3 ports (hard drive will be happy)
USB 3.0 ports (flash drives will be happy)
Future upgrading possibility when it comes GPUs or any other add on card.

Cons
spending how much to get that.
Intel GPU is better than before but still eh
AMD is a side or even a downgrade from what I have which is sad cause I really liked AMD when they had a killer Athlon XP product on the market.

BTW, one idea I have is ditching the desktop all together and use the laptop for everything. However, my wife uses both the laptop web work and a tablet for reading and games for our daughter. I still like using a keyboard and a mouse :) Before the vultures come out, my main rig would be replacing the computer in the shop. That is an AMD unit which just seemed to be overwhelmed with the concept of starting up LOL. just kidding. I think it might be a ram issue (not enough of it and it is DDR2) which means I am not going to spend money on it.

I am kind of looking for an opinion of which direction to go with this one. I find myself kinda at a cross roads with a new build. Before it would have been, New build no problem. Now it's a new build? Really? Did that much time pass me by already! What do you mean COD4 is not a relevant game anymore?

Well first and foremost: What will you be using this PC for? It's not exactly clear what you intend to do with this PC.

Well pretty much everything outside of the gaming scene right now. Web, educational software for daughter, word processing, etc. I am just planning in the gamin in case things change I get back into do some gaming in the future. Why buy a low end i3 only to need processing power down the road. Also an i3 may only be marginally better than what I got now. The AMD APU road would be more suited for my needs if the cpu side was stronger. Using on board video for now with the Intel side might be a possibility.

Well pretty much everything outside of the gaming scene right now. Web, educational software for daughter, word processing, etc. I am just planning in the gamin in case things change I get back into do some gaming in the future. Why buy a low end i3 only to need processing power down the road. Also an i3 may only be marginally better than what I got now. The AMD APU road would be more suited for my needs if the cpu side was stronger. Using on board video for now with the Intel side might be a possibility.

Well the thing is that I'm not seeing a reason for you to get a dedicated card right now when you're not even gaming right off the bat. Especially considering the current extreme pricing volatility with AMD video cards, there's no point in getting a dedicated card right now until you actually start gaming. So you will be ok with onboard video for the time being.

As for the CPU, the Core i3 4130 is indeed faster than your current Q9550. Whether or not you need more than that is largely dependent on your exact plans for the PC will be. So you're going to have to figure if there's a good chance that your family will start doing extensive amounts of video editing, 3D editing/rendering, digital audio work, and/or gaming with the latest AAA title, all situations where an upgrade to a Core i5 over a Core i3 would be justified. With what you've only written explicitly ("Web, educational software for daughter, word processing"), that can easily be handled by your current PC let alone a Core i3.

Now with that said, now would be a good time to upgrade. The Intel CPUs coming in 2014 won't be that much of an upgrade over current Intel Haswell CPUs judging from past successive Intel CPU releases. In addition, the Intel Skylake CPUs that are supposedly coming out in 2015 will more than likely use rather expensive DDR4 RAM. It probably won't be until 2016 when we'll see a mainstream Intel CPU that'll be a cost-effective and worthwhile upgrade over a Haswell or even an Ivy Bridge setup. Or that DDR4 pricing might drop down to more reasonable levels.

So unless you think your Q9550 based setup will last until 2016 (if you're only just doing web browsing, educational software for daughter, word processing, it probably can with a regular maintenance) do an upgrade now.

Hi,

Thanks for the direction. I'm probably going to stay with what I got for the time being. Last night I inherited another headache know as the parent's laptop. :p It comes with "Bud, my laptop is running so slow and then it started acting funny." "Mom, when did this continual loop shut down?" "I don't know. Christmas maybe. I didn't want to bother you with it." "Well... It looks like it has a virus."

Fast forward to last night. "Ok I will take the laptop home and see if I can salvage anything." "Bud, I hope you can get my photos and movies on there. Oh and the itunes collection" "No promises but I will try." Dad: "Don't be spending any money on that PoS (you sound it out :) ) That thing is useless. All it has done is give you mom trouble." Mom: "You think we should get a new one? I don't know about that Windows 8 but doing things on the tablet sucks. Great for using it as an e reader or watching a you tube video but trying to do my other business is a pain. What do you think?"

i get home. I plug the hard drive into a spare SATA port. What would you know. 6 virus. One of them screws up the boot loader. Awesome. Spent about 3 hours last night on just getting the drive working which is a good thing. I have spent 3 hours on file transfers to my storage drive..so far.

Things that I have learned.

1. They have been living with this for awhile and my mom as nice as she is didn't want to let me know there is an issue with laptop. Dad doesn't touch computers. He just asks someone to use the thing. Strange thing is put a commodore 64 in front of him and he would probably be happy.

2. 10/100 ethernet ports are slow. I thought their laptop had 100/1000 when I bought it in 2010 but I guess not. It is painful moving practically 80 gigs of files to back up over the network. The wireless connection is not really any faster either (tried it)

3. Microsoft Sec Essentials didn't seem to do a damn thing. Avira AV free seemed to find all the virus issues when I scanned on my computer. Then used Kaspersky's root tool kit and spybot to clear the drive up.

4. The touchpad is really annoying. left mouse button has been broken for 2 years now.

5. The battery is shot. I thought that might have been the original problem. Boy was I wrong.

Now I am deciding what to do with this laptop as well. I might just take my upgrade money and place it towards a new laptop for my parents. Toss in a 128 GB SSD. Call it a day. Maybe get an enclosure for an external drive to place the photos and videos.

You're correct in thinking that a new laptop would help your parents. (You'll need to tweak things beforehand to make it function more like Windows 7 instead of Windows 8.) But I recommend that you go with a hybrid drive instead of an SSD. Your parents may easily use up the remaining space on a 120GB-to128GB SSD.

While you're at it, install a good antivirus/antispyware/firewall solution that's not from Microsoft. You should also grab an external hard drive and place all of your parents' old files onto that.

The old laptop should be salvageable, but I recommend:

- Buying a new battery. (In this case, you don't have to find an OEM battery, which is the most expensive option.)

- Putting the SSD in that (instead of your parents' new laptop). You'll likely suffer the same "performance issues" as you did with your current laptop, but you'll still see a night-and-day difference in startup and load times.

- Wiping the old HDD at least twice to remove all remaining traces of the virus (after extracting your parents' old files, of course).

- Getting used to the idea of using a mouse and external storage (unless you think you can repair or replace the touchpad buttons).

Hi,

Well I got lucky and salvaged what I could from their HDD. Gave mom a call with update of what I was able to pull from the HDD. She was shocked about how much time I spent and the progress made. She basically said do not waste any more time on the laptop. I told her I could spend a few more hours reinstalling Win7 and programs and she said not to bother.

Turns out...

-Mom has been disliking the laptop for some time. She didn't want to bother me about it since I have been working a ton of hours.
- Mom does not want another HP. She felt the built quality was poor and the tech support people were useless since the one practically out right accused her of breaking the left mouse button.
- Mom thought of getting a new laptop in the spring when the tax refund check comes in.
- Does not want to spend the money on a SSD. Feels the HDD is going to be fine for both her and my dad's needs.
-Requests to make Windows 8 feel somewhat like Windows 7. Classic Shell works for me. :) I told her that I am liking Win 8 as I get more use to it.
-Thinks it was a sign to get a new laptop.

In short, I will be going laptop shopping either tomorrow at a B&M store or looking at units on line for purchase.

Hi,

Quick update. Mom likes it! The quick and dirty.

Toshiba P55 Series

Intel i5-4200 2 core/ 4thread
Intel 4400 graphics
6GB DDR3 RAM
750 GB HDD
15.6" 1920x1080 Tru Brite screen
Bluetooth
Wireless B/G/N
Gigabit Ethernet
Windows 8.1 installed

I have the laptop right now just getting everything transferred back on it. It has been easier than what I was expecting as I am literally just finishing up. I starting about an hour ago. Gigabit Ethernet connections are nice. :) Mom and dad will be playing with the new laptop tomorrow night when I get a chance to drop it off.

As for my build. Looking at keeping this desktop for a little longer. Maybe do a new build in the Spring unless Micro Center has a some kind of insane deal on parts. I don't need to move on anything yet.

Back