I have the CGH70. I was surprised that it wasn't on the qualified list lol. Only thing that I think Nvidia is butthurt about supporting freesync. So they did their best to show how its inferior that only 12 monitors qualified lol. I honestly think they disqualified a lot of cheap monitors with low range. But they still missed a lot of good ones including the CGH70 I have. So clearly they did not test all the good monitors because I don't believe for a moment they only found 12 to certify.

They haven't gone through every Freesync monitor on the market yet, but since they won't publish a list of which monitors they've tested so far we have no way of knowing what they've looked at and why they failed. It would also be interesting to know how many people they have testing the monitors and exactly how they're acquiring the ones they don't instantly disqualify. If they've already looked at it there is no reason for the CGH70 not to be on the list, but if they have I'd be curious to know why they failed it.

When you take into account that literally zero Freesync monitors are up to the G-Sync spec, it makes a bit of sense.

They're not just testing 'does it work'.

They made a those specs yea, but no way in hell my monitor doesn't qualify. CGH70 is top of the line freesync 2 monitor. Absolutely no issues after they made firmware updates after release. LFC, HDR, 48-144hz, top notch VA panel. honestly its the best panel I have ever used compared to IPS. Colors just pop, amazing black levels.

To me it seems like their goal was to disqualify as much as they can to knock on freesync. Nvidia ain't nice like that lol. But since they didn't want to piss people off they allowed people to enable it anyways. But only 12 monitors? CGH70 should be on that list, no questions!

if 0 monitors are up to spec why certify any? Why not just enable it. lol

They made a those specs yea, but no way in hell my monitor doesn't qualify. CGH70 is top of the line freesync 2 monitor. Absolutely no issues after they made firmware updates after release. LFC, HDR, 48-144hz, top notch VA panel. honestly its the best panel I have ever used compared to IPS. Colors just pop, amazing black levels.

To me it seems like their goal was to disqualify as much as they can to knock on freesync. Nvidia ain't nice like that lol. But since they didn't want to piss people off they allowed people to enable it anyways. But only 12 monitors? CGH70 should be on that list, no questions!

Question. Was the Freesync disables by default in the OSD of the CGH70? Someone theorized jokingly that monitors which are disabled by default are automatic failures for the Gsync Sertification. He was probably just joking but maybe there is some merit in it because why screens like CHG70 would be failures otherwise?

They made a those specs yea, but no way in hell my monitor doesn't qualify.

Just a perusal of the TFTCentral results casts doubt.

CGH70 is top of the line freesync 2 monitor. Absolutely no issues after they made firmware updates after release. LFC, HDR, 48-144hz, top notch VA panel. honestly its the best panel I have ever used compared to IPS. Colors just pop, amazing black levels.

Remember that this is your personal opinion, and quite a bit of what you're putting forward to support your point is not relevant to VRR. There are plenty of G-Sync monitors with 'lesser' panels- TN panels!- that meet Nvidia's spec, and there are plenty of monitors that have better panels than any G-Sync monitor that do not.

G-Sync is very specific to VRR, and in that regard, it is very comprehensive.

They did enable it for all Freesync monitors that support Freesync over DisplayPort. The certification process seems designed to identify those monitors that get reasonably close to providing the experience that all G-Sync monitors provide, and given the absolute shitshow that Freesync is, it does make some sense that they'd only find a dozen initially.

What Nvidia could do to relieve some of the criticism would be to publish their results; even better would be to go so far as to create some sort of tiering to their results, and to put a look up table in their drivers to explain to end users what kind of support their particular monitor has when it is attached.

Question. Was the Freesync disables by default in the OSD of the CGH70? Someone theorized jokingly that monitors which are disabled by default are automatic failures for the Gsync Sertification. He was probably just joking but maybe there is some merit in it because why screens like CHG70 would be failures otherwise?

I am serious, and I will say that it could be entirely possible that some monitors did not receive their certification due to having Freesync disabled by default. Nvidia seems to have considered the entire consumer experience with G-Sync, whereas AMD does not seem to have given much consideration at all to Freesync.

I am serious, and I will say that it could be entirely possible that some monitors did not receive their certification due to having Freesync disabled by default. Nvidia seems to have considered the entire consumer experience with G-Sync, whereas AMD does not seem to have given much consideration at all to Freesync.

If that really is the case then this is very embarrasing for Nvidia. There is no bloody reason to not give a known high quality screen a certificate and say "it probably won't work" just because they have turn the damn feature on separately from the OSD. Actually it even raises questions about the competence of the the testers, did they even know that the Freesync is disabled by default in a lot of the monitors? Because 400 tested and only 14 "approved" sounds really fishy.

and say "it probably won't work"

But they're not saying that?

They've set some standard below G-Sync that is as high as Freesync can get, and a dozen monitors meet that standard.

And again, this is focused on end-user experience, in comparison to G-Sync- remember that if they held Freesync monitors to the full G-Sync standard, none would pass!

They've set some standard below G-Sync that is as high as Freesync can get, and a dozen monitors meet that standard.

And again, this is focused on end-user experience, in comparison to G-Sync- remember that if they held Freesync monitors to the full G-Sync standard, none would pass!

Like I said. It’s excuses by them not just my opinion. They are testing what they want. Their whole point was to show only few monitors are good enough to meet their standard when that’s not the case. If anyone believes nvidia wasn’t trying to prove how horrible freesync is while also having to support it, they are kidding themselves.

User experience is just fine here on the cgh70. That’s another excuse. Not asking them to certify low range monitors but 48-144hz with LFC doesn’t qualify that works flawlessly for me? I call it lazy on their part and them trying to keep the list as short as possible.

Reactions: MaZa
like this

My memory may be failing but I think they did say that screens that are not certified "may have issues or not work" or something along those lines.

Last edited:
Like I said. It’s excuses by them not just my opinion. They are testing what they want.

You may be confused as to what an opinion is- remember that Nvidia set the standard, a very high standard, with the release of G-Sync. And that there are multiple reasons for the G-Sync module, some of which no Freesync display has yet to implement.

So the standard was relaxed a bit to include the best Freesync displays. Sorry yours isn't on the initial list. It's not perfect itself, despite your protestations.

My memory will be failing but I think they did say that screens that are not certified "may have issues or not work" or something along those lines.

Most Freesync displays do something weird. And we can say 'most' because AMD allowed so many poor implementations to carry their branding; there are certainly some good ones.

But since we're talking about Nvidia's branding, well, the standard is still a bit high for most.

You may be confused as to what an opinion is- remember that Nvidia set the standard, a very high standard, with the release of G-Sync. And that there are multiple reasons for the G-Sync module, some of which no Freesync display has yet to implement.

So the standard was relaxed a bit to include the best Freesync displays. Sorry yours isn't on the initial list. It's not perfect itself, despite your protestations.

Yes we get that it did not make into the list but the question is why? Because if the reason was because Freesync has to be turned on from the OSD then that is simply bullshit and ridiculous.

Yes we get that it did not make into the list but the question is why? Because if the reason was because Freesync has to be turned on from the OSD then that is simply bullshit and ridiculous.

We don't have an answer to that. We don't really know the standard beyond G-Sync, which we know no Freesync monitor currently released can meet.

Beyond that, I'm wondering why anyone cares what's on the list, or not- presence or absence does not determine whether or not something will work.

As stated earlier, the 1440p version isn't even out yet. The 49" 32:9 is the equivalent of two 27" 16:9 screens, so 5120x1440 is a good resolution for it.

Well 1440p would be alright but it's pretty much lowest I would consider for a 27" monitor and for many years I wouldn't want to go down to that size (30"+). It isn't great by any means and having seen the cost for that 49" with 1080p vertical, this thing will be prices way too high. My main issue is really aspect ratio than resolution, though both are pretty awful. Having moved on to a 4K, it's really hard to go back. I have dual 27" 1440p Dell screens at work and difference between my home screen is glaring. There was one exception for some folks who work with data in Excel, so if there are lots of columns and they need to go horizontal, it does help having an ultrawide screen. For productivity it is also better to have multiple physical screens as it makes windows arrangement easier. This one is for movies and games but like I stated above, many games either don't support that aspect or ban it (like online FPS, MOBA, etc.). So yeah, not much excitement for me.

I have a Viewsonic 1080p 144 hz freesync monitor on a secondary machine. Freesync works perfectly with a GTX 1070.

Be interesting to see if Gigabyte's new monitor shows up on the list. Looks like it checks all the boxes that standard G-Sync monitors do, including a VRR range of 1-144hz.

Back