How We Trained AI To Be Sexist

HardOCP News

[H] News
Not only are all you men a bunch of sexist pigs, but the artificial intelligence created by men is sexist as well. All of you should be ashamed of yourselves. If only there was some way women could actually develop AI for themselves that wasn't sexist.

Until more people in computer science 'fess up to the problem of overly sexualized bots, we seem doomed to travel along the same rutted tracks of homogeneous design, with too few women involved in the development of our Siris, Amys, Cortanas and Alexas. That leaves the small teams at companies like Kasisto at the forefront, dragging AI into a more inclusive world. Here's hoping their colleagues at larger companies wake up and do the same.

It seems like her ultimate goal is to create the most unpleasant and unnatural chatbot in the history of chatbots.

From the article:

User: What's new?
Kai: Humans count stars. I count change. Ask me about banking.

Seriously? Sounds like it has aspergers or something.

Its funny because a lot of the people that post here actually are pretty sexist, but the article was interesting.

Punched out when I hit the $0.79 for every $1.00 quote. Same work, same time in the job, it's $0.97 for every $1.00. Which is about the same as the gap between those who negotiate for raises regularly and those who don't.

You can argue issues in upbringing, but it's a lot harder for the workplace, at least by pay discrepancies.

As far as AI, it seems this asexual AI is kind of a dick. So....might want to put your best genderless AI appendage forward by not doing that.

Its funny because a lot of the people that post here actually are pretty sexist, but the article was interesting.

You know what else is funny? If you don't concern yourself with how other people behave and only concentrate on your own professional behavior, you can be a very successful person.

Seems like it could be really simple ...

if (gender == female) {
randomSexistRemark()
} else {
playNice()
}

The whole premise of the article is idiotic anyway. Siri/Alexa/Cortana/etc. are not AI in any meaningful sense. Neither is their oh-so-precious genderless chatbot. Running a headline about sexist AI's and then filling your article with pretentious crap about your automated digital assistant software is pretty dumb. There is no harm (to the program) in making a flirty response to one of these systems. It will not be offended, suffer a hostile work environment, be made uncomfortable, or any other negative response associated with doing this to a real person. It will respond with the pre-programmed response that has been determined to be most favorable by a test audience, and then will patiently wait for the next inane question or task you have for it.

The whole premise of the article is idiotic anyway. Siri/Alexa/Cortana/etc. are not AI in any meaningful sense. Neither is their oh-so-precious genderless chatbot. Running a headline about sexist AI's and then filling your article with pretentious crap about your automated digital assistant software is pretty dumb. There is no harm (to the program) in making a flirty response to one of these systems. It will not be offended, suffer a hostile work environment, be made uncomfortable, or any other negative response associated with doing this to a real person. It will respond with the pre-programmed response that has been determined to be most favorable by a test audience, and then will patiently wait for the next inane question or task you have for it.

Agreed. It's a solution looking for a problem. It's someone running around looking to be offended rather than finding a decent cause WORTHY of offense.

Agreed. It's a solution looking for a problem. It's someone running around looking to be offended rather than finding a decent cause WORTHY of offense.

I believe it is called being "recreationally offended". It is what the majority of SJW crap is. Not that they don't sometimes have a point. It is just that most the time it is an A hole looking for a reason out of anything to be offended. I think the majority of people would prefer to have something pleasant talking to them. Which i'm pretty sure their testing proved which is why most of them are the way they are.

"fess up to...overly sexualized"

Yet another woman nagging us to death insisting we agree with her opinion.

Pretty much been debunked. Comes down primarily to the fact people in the US on average respond better to a woman's voice. They pay more attention to it and it comes across clearer.

I love how getting women into tech and contributing to robotics is somehow the job of men.

If Germany can build up a massive army in secret, with some of the most advanced tech available on the planet at the time, and nearly take on the entire world with a country the size of a medium state in the US, then women can start their own tech companies and build their own robots without men kneeling down to help push them up. Y'all ladies have plenty of Hitlerette's, you're just not focused on tech and never have been.

See problem is that all these verbose seemingly motivated women that bitch that there aren't enough women in tech, tend to be bitches that took gender studies classes instead of engineering classes and pour all their energy into complaining instead of building. *facepalm*

Human: Hey bot, can you find the nearest service station?
Male looking robot: Sure thing! It looks like the nearest one is 7Km away, anything else I can help you with?

society: Wow, AI has come so far!

Human: Hey bot, can you find the nearest service station?
Female looking robot: Sure thing! It looks like the nearest one is 7Km away, anything else I can help you with?

society: OMG LOOK HOW SUBMISSIVE AND SEXUALISED THEY MADE THIS AI OMG PATRIARCHY.

I kid, but only halfway.

"fess up to...overly sexualized"

Yet another woman nagging us to death insisting we agree with her opinion.

The whole "confess" demand is part and parcel of communist movements over the last 100+ years.

You hear Black Lives Matter using the same technique. "I'm through having a dialog, you must confess your white privilege".

Of course the demands to confess are made before any dialog actually takes place. Very handy when your argument is flimsy and don[t want it threatened with facts and logic.

club-organizers-club-no-ma-am-bundy-demotivational-poster-1240357402.jpg

See problem is that all these verbose seemingly motivated women that bitch that there aren't enough women in tech, tend to be bitches that took gender studies classes instead of engineering classes and pour all their energy into complaining instead of building. *facepalm*
^Great quote. Couldn't have said it better myself. I might not have said it in those words, but it's 100% accurate.

Dumb article. Engadget has been fairly light on the left-wing propaganda compared to other "tech news" websites, but this just makes me not want go back to their website.

Is it a question of women unwilling to go into tech, unable, or just a simple matter of society telling women to not pursue science-y careers?

I studied science, and one of the smartest person in my class, as well as I know in general, is a woman, and I tend to have a greater respect for women being in the tech/science industry than I do with men.

As far as AI, it seems this asexual AI is kind of a dick. So....might want to put your best genderless AI appendage forward by not doing that.

When somebody sexually harasses you, do you just shut up and pretend it didn't happen?

When somebody sexually harasses you, do you just shut up and pretend it didn't happen?
When someone calls you faggot and you're heterosexual do you go cry in a corner?

I do. I have been sexually harassed by women and gay men, both at work and outside of it on countless occasions. Have had my life threatened countless times too. I don't let people control my emotions because I refuse to give them that power and control over me. I just laugh, smile or simply carry on depending on the situation. It is amazing how disarming it is to an offender. If they can't get a rise out of you, they get confused and give up.

Yes. That's exactly what you do. In my 20's, I had several middle aged females who were in charge of departments or sections I was working in. And how they treated me is exactly what women complain about their male superiors treating them. You learn to STFU and consider it part of life, or go and get a new job somewhere else. Every guy thinks, 'gee I'd love to be sexually harrassed'. No you wouldn't. Because they aren't what you want, and they don't want what little you might want to do with them. 3 cases:
1. Immediate superior 500 lb 38 year old who smells like feces because she's so big she can't wipe herself effectively, then sweats. Hangs on my leg (she's 4'10", I'm six four). Gets in the way of any interaction with any other woman I ever come accross. makes it known throughout that hospital (and anywhere else: seminars, parties at some of the doctors's or administrator's houses) that I'm 'hers'.
2. Administrator who won't let me transfer to another unit. Keeps me doing useless things other than my job. Frequent close touching of me, but quickly shuts down anything sexual. She's married, and probably starved of affection, but doesn't seem to want sex. kept me around by giving me small incremental raises. I had to leave for another job after a couple of years; when I started seeing any other nurse in the hospital even just as a friend, all of a sudden they started getting their schedule changed, work assignments the worst, all to get them to leave.
3. night supervisor who I have to check in at beginning of each shift to get my assignment for the night. Expects me to spend every break/meal with her. Another 'just close friends' that includes lots of touching and my being nice and telling her everything she wants to hear. Also married and wants me to be sympathetic and listen to her complain constantly. Of course no sex. I decline in any way, the next night I get the worst possible job for the night...sometimes lasts a week.
The list goes on but I think you get the point. While it's not being expected to have sex with them, it's expected to be their mate surrogate in ways that no guy wants. Just like every other case of what you see on TV isn't like what happens in real life. Female sexual harrassers are very, very rarely physically attractive.

And I'm not particularly good looking either. So it makes me wonder what the pretty boys go through.

Women get away with it all the time.

Back