how to view video files on downstairs pc on upstairs tv

yariman

n00b
ive got video files on my desktop pc downstairs which is also where my cable modem and router are based. On the tv upstairs id like to watch these files.

The tv is nothing special, just a small boxy bedside tv so dont need anything fancy like HDTV etc, something which just does the job.

Ive looked into creating a small htpc but considering that im not trying to make a state of the art home theatre im wondering if there are other simpler cheaper options.

posted before i could say

"if anybody has any suggestions id really appreciate them as i feel belwildered by all the options out there." i checked the faq and the links seems mostly geared to a proper home theathre rig.

a Xbox with a mod chip or a Xbox360/PS3 + a streaming server on the PC

well if you dont want HD and you want cheap,

you can get an original xbox for about 50 or less. get a wrt54g wireless router for 30-50.

this combo takes some modding and whatnot but its all software modding.

softmod the box, and put on XBMC. then softmod the router to hook up to another router as an accesspoint but still be a router.

I have done this in my roomates room as i refuse to ever crawl under this house again, i did it once to get the internet to the living room and den and refuse to go under there again for any reason, this was the easiest that didnt involve runnign a cable.

Back