How to view that status of IIS/FTP server?

darkpark

Gawd
On server 2003 is there anyway to find out who is currently connected via FTP so that I can monitor who is uploading/downloading. If there are no naitive apps/utils than are there any decents apps that will show me the status of IIS/ftp? All I'm looking for is a window showing who is connected (IP Address & login id), transfer rate, upload/download, and the file(s) being transferred.

enable logging within IIS and all info gets stored in a text file

I've actually never used Windows built-in FTP...but I can't imagine there isn't a place you can check to see who is logged in...probably someplace near where you manage accounts. Right-click My Computer and click Manage to poke around some more at settings.

IIS is another story, most of the time you can only look at logs ot open a command window and type "netstat -a" and see open connections. I don't think there is anything free that will give you realtime numbers or accumulated stats on users....not unless you build it into your web app itself...

actaully for FTP

IIS does keep track of the ip address and user id they are using to log on. It however will NOT tell you the amount of bnadwidth leeching they are doing. You WILL need a 3rd party app for that.

BTW to find out who is on your FTP server.

Open IIS manager under administrative tools

Click on FTP site right click default FTP site or the FTp site you created and click properties. Click on the FTP site tab and click on the current sessions button under the enable logging area. Enjoy all the ip address and uid of all the moochers :)

PerfMon won't give you stats on each user, but it'll give stats for # of connections, files, bandwidth... etc; on a per ftp-site basis.

Might give it a look before you download something off the net. The built in monitor may be sufficient for what you want.

figgie said:
actaully for FTP

...It however will NOT tell you the amount of bnadwidth leeching they are doing. You WILL need a 3rd party app for that.

The totals are tracked, but not for individual users.

Back