How to view images in emails in thunderbird

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
In Thunderbird images are off by default, and way back in the day there used to be a button to show them. That button was removed at some point. Why is this? Is there a way to get it back, or a way to view images preferably on a per message basis?

Using Thunderbird 13.1 in Linux. Same deal in Windows though.

I assume you mean the show remote content button? I know you can set that to auto display html contect based on the contact itself. Not sure if that bar just doesn't show at all. I'm on version 14. If you search "remote" in the config editor you can see a setting to toggle auto-loading images but that would remove the safety feature all together.

mailnews.message_display.disable_remote_image

7hmsk.jpg

YES that button. It never shows up for me. How do I get to the config editor?

I tried setting that setting to false and still wont show up.

I'll have to check more into this when I get in front of my Linux machine. Strange you'd get the same issues in Windows as well. Maybe it's your settings of the email account you are connecting to. Maybe something in the POP3 or IMAP settings about images or HTML messages...

I am using imap, so I suppose it could be some server side setting. I have TB 2.0 installed on another machine (FC9) and it does work fine though (for the same accounts).

I was searching on mozilla's site and saw this.

"If you can never see remote images because the "Show Remote Images" button is always missing check that permissions.default.image is set to 1 using the config editor."

Mine was set to 1, so I made it 0 and restarted Thunderbird, no change. So, I went back in and made it 2, then my remote content box no longer appeared. When I set it back to 1 things were back to normal.

So try setting that to 2, close/open try a message
Set it back to 1 close/open try a message.

Back